Author Topic: Cleveland: Flats East Bank  (Read 102261 times)

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Flats East Bank
« Reply #6390 on: October 01, 2017, 10:41:42 AM »
I think the city needs to reel back these hard restrictions on these parking meters on the weekend. Visitors getting their car towed can only happen so much before they move on. I don't buy the "it blocks emergency vehicles" reason. It's too coincidental that the restriction is only in the areas that have lots. I know I'm beating a dead horse but it worries me.

That's fine until there's an emergency and the emergency vehicles can't make it through.

Why can't the people getting towed pay attention to the signs warning them that they will be towed?

Offline Groyd

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #6391 on: October 01, 2017, 12:01:46 PM »
Is the midrise on the back right side of the rendering part of this phase?

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6392 on: October 01, 2017, 12:08:59 PM »
^that is already built.  It is the rear of the current apartment building.

Offline CbusTransit

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #6393 on: November 13, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »
Fairmount properties pulled a building permit on November 8 for “new construction” at 1109 Old River Road. Don’t know what that means. It’s only for an 11,000 square foot building.

Offline mack34

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #6394 on: November 13, 2017, 10:26:53 AM »
^ perhaps the Rascal Flats restaurant is finally starting??

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #6395 on: November 21, 2017, 09:43:28 PM »
Good Night John Boy, a '70s-themed restaurant-bar, coming to the Flats
Updated 2:05 PM; Posted 2:07 PM
By Nikki Delamotte

CLEVELAND, Ohio - A new restaurant and bar will turn back the clock in the East Bank of the Flats. The local burger chain Flip Side closed its Flats location this week as the space prepares for renovations to transform into the '70s-themed Good Night John Boy. It's slated to open in early spring at 1050 West 10th St.

John Boy will be helmed by FWD Hospitality Group, who are responsible for the Flats' Magnolia speakeasy and the seasonal FWD Day + Nightclub pool party concept. It looks to be a casual, laid-back neighborhood bar during the week and anchored by lively "Old School" parties on the weekend.

Chef Shawn Monday of Flip Side will stay on to craft what they describe as "good old home cooking." He'll be serving up breakfast and lunch along with late night dishes meant to invoke a diner feel.

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/11/good_night_john_boy_a_70s-them.html
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline mack34

« Reply #6396 on: November 21, 2017, 10:05:43 PM »
^ I wish them luck....but that is a horrible spot for a restaurant.  I'm surprised Flip Side lasted as long as it did

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6397 on: November 21, 2017, 11:56:52 PM »
damn, Flip Side closed already?

Offline flee2thecleve14

« Reply #6398 on: November 22, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »
Sad to see a more affordable dining option go by the wayside but at least they have a concept to replace it. FlipSide would have done better had it been located closer to more of the residential population of downtown in my opinion. Also, during a 2016 NBA Finals game, they had a decent crowd but closed up at halftime which was really puzzling...

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6399 on: November 22, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »
Sad to see a more affordable dining option go by the wayside but at least they have a concept to replace it. FlipSide would have done better had it been located closer to more of the residential population of downtown in my opinion. Also, during a 2016 NBA Finals game, they had a decent crowd but closed up at halftime which was really puzzling...

Their building just isn't really inviting. I feel that business would have been much better if their setup was more like Coastal, and not like some 80's restaurant chain.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #6400 on: November 22, 2017, 04:25:34 PM »
It wasn't that affordable really. It was about $12 for a burger with no side. So I got a side of fries which was about $5-6 and was probably fine for two people, but I was by myself and there were no other options. I was actually there about 3 weeks ago on Saturday for lunch. There was one family table and a table of guys that looked like they just got done with Football.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #6401 on: November 22, 2017, 05:08:59 PM »
Before we go any farther, this is not the place for restaurant reviews.  Keep it relevant to East Bank Development news, please.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6402 on: April 06, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
.#Cleveland planning commission votes to require waterfront promenade south of Flats East Bank: https://t.co/vyT76e8R4P
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline mack34

« Reply #6403 on: April 06, 2018, 07:14:13 PM »
I don't get how this "strikes a blow" for access?? The fact that we don't have a promenade that goes all along the east bank has always seemed strange. 

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
  • One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #6404 on: April 06, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »
I had to read the title over and then read the article and then read the title again... haha I think it’s just poorly worded. He meant strikes a blow in favor of and in support of a promenade and better access. But it’s an odd choice of wording.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6405 on: April 06, 2018, 09:15:27 PM »
I think it makes a lot of sense to extend the boardwalk along the water as far south as reasonable but many of those old buildings are built right up to the water's edge... I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Most sense probably to move the headwall out into the river by about 10-12'.  Which won't be cheap.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6406 on: April 06, 2018, 09:21:59 PM »
I think it makes a lot of sense to extend the boardwalk along the water as far south as reasonable but many of those old buildings are built right up to the water's edge... I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Most sense probably to move the headwall out into the river by about 10-12'.  Which won't be cheap.

I am assuming moving the headway is a non-starter.  They could always route the walkway out to the sidewalk around the buildings the back to the river.  Not ideal but probably the easiest way to do it.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6407 on: April 06, 2018, 11:04:53 PM »

I am assuming moving the headway is a non-starter.  They could always route the walkway out to the sidewalk around the buildings the back to the river.  Not ideal but probably the easiest way to do it.

Yep, route the walkway out to the sidewalk!

I’ve actually mocked this idea up on here - terribly. But the idea is a good one. Extending the boardwalk past the front doors of those businesses would draw a lot of potential customers. The key is getting people out of their cars and giving them a reason to want to walk.

Offline originaljbw

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #6408 on: April 06, 2018, 11:35:08 PM »
Or just require the lowest level of the establishments to be open to public, sort of a breezeway under the upper decks.

Offline Mendo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #6409 on: April 07, 2018, 12:00:20 AM »
The existing buildings are built practically on the water already. Would that require a variance just to redevelop one of the empty buildings? I get what the city is trying to accomplish, but they shouldn't be creating rules that are contrary to the built form, IMO.

Offline viscomi

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #6410 on: April 07, 2018, 08:19:46 AM »
What are we referring to with headway? The bulkhead? If so, what if instead of extending the bulkhead out, construct a boardwalk on pylons to make the needed connections in front of the existing structures already built up to the waters edge . Still expensive but might make it more feasible.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6411 on: April 07, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »
I thought this might happen when I first saw the boardwalk concept in FEB's plans.  Any historic building stock that was missed in the first rampage would soon be viewed as a threat to "access," which is the new "vibrancy."  It's like, who put these stupid buildings right in the middle of our boardwalk?  Access/vibrancy requires lots of setbacks and promenades. 

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6412 on: April 08, 2018, 12:57:52 AM »
is phase three still on track to break ground sometime this spring?

https://articles.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/09/scott_wolstein_eyes_flats_east.amp

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6413 on: April 08, 2018, 10:15:57 AM »
Doubtful. Nothing has come before the planning commission for approval.

Offline Oldmanladyluck

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #6414 on: April 12, 2018, 12:25:41 PM »
Scott Wolstein eyes Flats East Bank phase three, other ventures after 5 years at Starwood Retail

By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on September 29, 2017 at 1:22 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Sitting on a patio in the Flats on a surprisingly sweaty late-summer afternoon, Scott Wolstein seemed relaxed despite the nearby bustle of valets, trains and boats.

...He hopes to break ground in the spring for a third wave of development, which will include a high-end movie theater, restaurants and an apartment tower.

If that timeline holds, new buildings could open by late 2019, joining the existing Ernst & Young Tower, the Aloft hotel, waterfront apartments, dining and entertainment venues.

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/09/scott_wolstein_eyes_flats_east.html

Spring is here-I'm hoping the third phase is close to becoming a reality.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6415 on: April 12, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »
Not being a downer... Because I hope it does too...

But the vibe at the East Bank changed last year. The nights I was there beyond midnight it felt outright dangerous at times - and I'm not some suburban prude (I often make the walk from my work on 9th to Asiatown for dinner in the summer and live in the city as well). Further, a few of the newly opened spots are struggling right now (granted Summer can easily change that).

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6416 on: April 12, 2018, 12:42:45 PM »
^ yeah i always thought they jumped the gun with all that at once before phase 3 was built out and more residential was in there. i know the restaurants are not geared toward east bank area residents exclusively, but really more people need to be living around there to keep it vibrant and safe in slow times of the year.

Offline Enginerd

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #6417 on: April 12, 2018, 12:57:04 PM »
Not being a downer... Because I hope it does too...

But the vibe at the East Bank changed last year. The nights I was there beyond midnight it felt outright dangerous at times - and I'm not some suburban prude (I often make the walk from my work on 9th to Asiatown for dinner in the summer and live in the city as well). Further, a few of the newly opened spots are struggling right now (granted Summer can easily change that).

Like a college-y, drunk and fighting kind of unsafe?

I haven’t been down there in a while, although I’m sure I will be once it breaks 40deg.

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #6418 on: April 12, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
Can you elaborate? Where do you feel unsafe? Inside the establishments or on the street?

I live just up the hill in the warehouse district and I find my high school friends who live in the suburbs always want to go to the Flats when they come downtown. I would rather go elsewhere but I go because they're my friends. I've never really felt unsafe though, even when I walk back up the hill underneath the shoreway.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6419 on: April 20, 2018, 12:26:40 PM »
Seems Mike Tricarichi is having some problems with the city regarding his Flats properties....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/bbs/agenda/2018/AGENDA04182018.pdf

-POSTPONED- (Rescheduled for May 02, 2018)
Docket A-40-18 1204 Old River Road WARD: 3
(Kerry McCormack)
Telecom Acquisition Corp. I, Inc., Owner of the A-2 Assembly – Nite Clubs, Restau-rants Two
Story Frame Property appeals from a NOTICE OF VIOLATION—INTERIOR MAIN-TENANCE,
dated January 14, 2018; appellant appeals for the reason that the actions of the City are without
merit. The property is currently vacant, and no changes have been made to the property;
accordingly, the Board should reverse the City on the violations contained in the Violation
Notice.

Docket A-41-18 1198 Old River Road WARD: 3
(Kerry McCormack)
Telecom Acquisition Corp. I, Inc., Owner of the A-2 Assembly – Nite Clubs, Restau-rants Two
Story Masonry Property appeals from a NOTICE OF VIOLATION—UNAU-THORIZED/ILLEGAL
USE, dated January 06, 2018; appellant states that the actions of the City violates Ohio law to the
extent that the City has alleged a violation relative to the second
floor dwelling that was properly permitted by the City at the time of construction, but the City
cannot now locate the record of such; no changes have been made to the second floor since it
was constructed in 1989. The second floor has been used continuously as a residence for almost
30 years; and that bad record-keeping on the part of the City does not allow the City to cite such a
use violation.

Docket A-42-18 1220 Old River Road WARD: 3
(Kerry McCormack)
Telecom Acquisition Corp. I, Inc., Owner of the A-2 Assembly – Nite Clubs, Restau-rants Three
Story Masonry Walls/Wood Floors Property appeals from a NOTICE OF VIOLA-TION—INTERIOR
MAINTENANCE, dated January 16, 2018; appellant appeals for the reason that the actions of the
City are without merit. The property is currently vacant, and no changes have been made to the
building since the occupancy permit was issued in 2009; stating that the City’s finding that “reestablishment
of use of a bar, which has been vacant for several years” is unlawful, and as an
initial matter, that statement is factually inaccurate, stating that this property has been vacant for
a few months, having closed in mid-2017; and that City will cause irreparable harm to TAC and its
business operations.