PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Restaurant News & Info  (Read 52868 times)

Offline Arcade Fiyah

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
Re: Cincinnati: Restaurant News & Info
« Reply #4860 on: May 14, 2018, 11:25:12 PM »
Vietnamese fusion restaurant coming to former Sung space downtown

An upscale Vietnamese fusion restaurant is coming to the former Sung Korean Bistro space in downtown Cincinnati this summer.

Ước Lễ is coming to 700 Elm St., with the goal of opening by the end of July. That restaurant space used to house Sung Korean Bistro, which closed after 10 years in business on June 3, 2017.

General manager David Redmond told me the menu has not been finalized yet, but the restaurant will specialize in cuisine based on and inspired by Vietnamese tradition and techniques.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/14/vietnamese-fusion-restaurant-coming-to-former-sung.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online ucgrady

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #4861 on: May 15, 2018, 06:39:28 AM »
While I love Vietnamese, can someone explain why we will now have 4 good Vietnamese restaurants in downtown / OTR (this new one plus pho lang thang, le's and Saigon) but zero good Chinese restaurants? For a midwestern city this seems like a very strange ratio, are there more Vietnamese immigrants than I realize?

Offline DEPACincy

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #4862 on: May 15, 2018, 09:19:43 AM »
Vietnamese fusion restaurant coming to former Sung space downtown

An upscale Vietnamese fusion restaurant is coming to the former Sung Korean Bistro space in downtown Cincinnati this summer.

Ước Lễ is coming to 700 Elm St., with the goal of opening by the end of July. That restaurant space used to house Sung Korean Bistro, which closed after 10 years in business on June 3, 2017.

General manager David Redmond told me the menu has not been finalized yet, but the restaurant will specialize in cuisine based on and inspired by Vietnamese tradition and techniques.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/14/vietnamese-fusion-restaurant-coming-to-former-sung.html

Anybody know how to pronounce this?

Offline jim uber

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #4863 on: May 15, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »
While I love Vietnamese, can someone explain why we will now have 4 good Vietnamese restaurants in downtown / OTR (this new one plus pho lang thang, le's and Saigon) but zero good Chinese restaurants? For a midwestern city this seems like a very strange ratio, are there more Vietnamese immigrants than I realize?
Hmm. I usually expect to have a very hard time finding a good Chinese restaurant. I mean, the distance between eating at one of the better places in San Francisco or Chicago, and your typical Midwestern city, is huge. No?

I think what I'm saying, much more bluntly, is that a typical Midwest city Chinese restaurant that I've experienced will
a) Fry almost everything
b) encase almost everything in either a brown glue sauce, or a white glue sauce.
c) Serve rice that is the equivalent of wonder bread - almost tasteless.

But I might be looking in the wrong places?

Offline joshknut

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4864 on: May 15, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »
Fortune Noodle House! Hand pulled noodles if you are looking for Chinese. In other parts of the Midwest, like Minnesota, you will find way more Vietnamese since the Hmong immigrated there.

Online JohnClevesSymmes

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #4865 on: May 15, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »
^I second Fortune Noodle. Incredibly good. Sichuan Bistro in Mason is pretty good, as is Sichuan Chili in Evendale.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4866 on: May 15, 2018, 09:53:21 AM »
I think currently Vietnamese restaurants are just trendier, which is why you see a lot in downtown/OTR and not many Chinese restaurants.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4867 on: May 15, 2018, 10:05:27 AM »
Cincinnati's only semblance of a Chinatown is in Sharonville/Evendale. Sichuan Chili mentioned above, Imperial Inn, House of Sun, and 99 Restaurant are my favorites.

There are also a lot of the typical take-out places that have "other menus." We go to China Food in CUF quite a bit and order off the authentic menu and it's good. I like their Fuqi Feipian.

Also, so far as downtown goes, check out Yum Yum some time. The dining room reminds me of something out of a David Lynch movie.

Offline edale

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #4868 on: May 15, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »
Cincinnati's only semblance of a Chinatown is in Sharonville/Evendale. Sichuan Chili mentioned above, Imperial Inn, House of Sun, and 99 Restaurant are my favorites.

There are also a lot of the typical take-out places that have "other menus." We go to China Food in CUF quite a bit and order off the authentic menu and it's good. I like their Fuqi Feipian.

Also, so far as downtown goes, check out Yum Yum some time. The dining room reminds me of something out of a David Lynch movie.

Yeah, in addition to the Chinese restaurants you already noted, there is also the CAM Asian supermarket in Evendale too, and a Chinese bakery in the same strip mall. There’s also Uncle Yips restaurant, which has a decent Dim Sum brunch. Hope they’re still around!

If you broaden the scope from strictly Chinese to include all Asian businesses, this area further solidifies itself as the Asian hub of the region. There is a small Japanese grocery called Tokyo Foods, a couple Indian restaurants, an Indian bakery, two small Indian grocers and a large Patel Brothers store. Across the street from Patel Bros, that strip mall is mostly Asian businesses. There’s a good Vietnamese place, a Halal butcher, and a few other Chinese businesses that I can’t temember. Definitely an interesting and unexpected cluster in the burbs!

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4869 on: May 15, 2018, 11:12:06 AM »
Across the street from Patel Bros, that strip mall is mostly Asian businesses. There’s a good Vietnamese place, a Halal butcher, and a few other Chinese businesses that I can’t temember. Definitely an interesting and unexpected cluster in the burbs!

There is also a bus to NYC's Chinatown that leaves from that strip mall, next to a Chipotle. 

Offline jim uber

« Reply #4870 on: May 15, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »
This is all great info! Thanks for the ideas on new places to go.

Online JohnClevesSymmes

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #4871 on: May 15, 2018, 02:42:42 PM »
The team behind Collective Espresso opens The Takeaway, a new sandwich stop and grocer in Over-the-Rhine

The Main Street deli offers fresh produce, pantry staples, beer, wine and an eclectic menu of fresh sandwiches

https://www.citybeat.com/food-drink/media-gallery/21005018/the-takeaway-on-main-street-is-a-retail-grocer-and-deli-with-very-tasty-sandwiches

I have grabbed lunch here a handful of times now and I'm really impressed. The sandwiches are exactly what you want them to be.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4872 on: May 15, 2018, 03:13:27 PM »
^Looks like a cool place with decent prices. Those are the types of places that really help with a growing office crowd. When I lived in OTR I really wanted more of this type of place since there really weren't many quick takeout options. I loved Gomez as much as the next guy, but sometimes when I didn't want a taco I craved a really quick, affordable sandwich. Picnic and Pantry that used to be at 14th and Republic had some good options but the price point was a little higher. Same with Happy Belly (and their hours stunk). Good to see.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4873 on: May 15, 2018, 03:20:25 PM »
I have heard a lot of great things about the new Chipotle-style Indian food place that replaced Picnic and Pantry. It sounds like another quick and affordable option for neighborhood residents.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4874 on: May 15, 2018, 03:40:11 PM »
This is old news but Gomez bought Halfcut.   They might change the format and name at some point. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4875 on: May 15, 2018, 03:47:22 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. I suspected that was what happened due to the changes at HalfCut. Hopefully they just make the space into a dine-in restaurant that also serves alcohol, like their Walnut Hills location.

Online Cincy513

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4876 on: May 15, 2018, 03:56:19 PM »
Gomez ruined Half Cut once they bought it. 

Online jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4877 on: May 15, 2018, 05:24:20 PM »
I have heard a lot of great things about the new Chipotle-style Indian food place that replaced Picnic and Pantry. It sounds like another quick and affordable option for neighborhood residents.
I've tried Injoy ... and I though it was ok, but not anywhere as tasty and satisfying as a more traditional Indian restaurant. I like their setup, but their recipes just seem to be missing something. Hopefully they can tweak the recipes.

Online Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4878 on: May 16, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »
Gomez ruined Half Cut once they bought it.
How so?

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4879 on: May 16, 2018, 10:27:09 AM »
Half Cut used to be one of those "fancy" craft beer places with a good selection including some less common beers, where every beer was served in the correct type of glassware and could be bought in a pint, a sample size, or a growler. There were Ohio and US maps showing where each beer on tap was brewed.

Last time I went in there, I think they got rid of most of those aspects and it's sort of just a generic bar now. The main reason I went in was to figure out "is this still HalfCut or is it just Gomez's dining room?" Not that it's bad, but I'm not sure why I would choose to go there over anywhere else.

Their best bet would be to make it a full-on Gomez restaurant where you could order food at the bar and then eat inside. Right now, I believe you still have to order and pay at the window outside if you want to eat inside.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:29:42 AM by taestell »

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #4880 on: May 16, 2018, 10:46:09 AM »
Oh dang, HalfCut was cool, so weird to think about 4 years ago whatever it was one of the cool new bars but now it's sold.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4881 on: May 16, 2018, 11:12:04 AM »
Half Cut had three owners.  Two of the guys stopped talking to each other and that's why they decided to sell.  The two who are still friends got out of the bar business and are renovating a house on Dayton St. 

Online Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4882 on: May 16, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
Thanks, @taestell. I was there a couple times when it was still like in your picture. Shame to lose its crafty vibe.

Offline Arcade Fiyah

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #4883 on: May 17, 2018, 03:03:04 PM »
Restaurant industry veterans leave corporate world to launch food truck

A husband and wife team who left their longtime careers in the restaurant industry for the stability of the corporate world when they had twins are getting back into the kitchen, launching a food truck on the streets of Cincinnati.

Ryan O'Neil and Ashlee Rose O'Neil launched Stellar Street Eats at the end of April. The duo is now taking their food truck, which specializes in what they call American lunch cafe cuisine, on the road, serving up breakfast and lunch at Fountain Square, Lunken Airport and other locations around Cincinnati.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/17/exclusive-restaurant-industry-veterans-leave.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline Arcade Fiyah

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #4884 on: May 18, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »
Wurst Bar closing, to be replaced by gastropub in Mount Lookout

The Wurst Bar in Mount Lookout has shut its doors, but a new gastropub will open in its place, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/18/wurst-bar-closing-to-be-replaced-by-gastropub-in.html

Offline Arcade Fiyah

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #4885 on: May 21, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »
New restaurant and sports bar coming to Greater Cincinnati

A new sports bar appears headed to a vacant restaurant property in Greater Cincinnati.

Records from the Ohio Division of Liquor Control show Reid's Sports Bar & Grill LLC submitted an application for a liquor permit at 549 E. Main St. in Lebanon last week.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/21/new-restaurant-and-sports-bar-coming-to-greater.html

Offline Arcade Fiyah

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #4886 on: May 21, 2018, 01:08:50 PM »
Here's when Maplewood's second location will open

Thunderdome Restaurant Group originated Maplewood Kitchen and Bar downtown in the 84.51 building in 2016, and now it's getting ready to bring that experience to Cincinnati's suburbs mid-summer this year.

Maplewood is coming to 5065 Deerfield Blvd. at the Deerfield Towne Center, expected to open in early July, Thunderdome co-founder Joe Lanni told me.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/21/heres-when-maplewoods-second-location-will-open.html

Online Cincy513

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4887 on: May 21, 2018, 02:07:00 PM »
I hate how chained a lot of the places downtown and in OTR have gotten.  Really takes away the originality of the places when you can go to another location in the burbs or in another city. 

Online BigDipper 80

« Reply #4888 on: May 21, 2018, 02:12:12 PM »
^I've been saying this for a while now. I know some folks in Indianapolis who thought Bakersfield was an Indy-exclusive restaurant until I told them otherwise. I get it, and good for them for having a successful business model, but it definitely creates the impression of "OTR has all the same stuff as everywhere else". But I personally think it was pretty clear from the get-go that building a restaurant empire was the end game for a lot of these companies in OTR. Their branding was all too slick for just one-off establishments.
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Online Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #4889 on: May 21, 2018, 04:49:22 PM »
It's not even a lot of companies. The main one is Thunderdome Group. Maplewood, Eagle, Bakersfield, possibly others (Kreuger's?) have spread from OTR (or CBD in the case of Maplewood) under the Thunderdome umbrella.

Taste of Belgium wasn't obvious to me, at all, that the intention was to spread like wildfire. I don't think it's a smart business move for that concept, but then what do I know about the restaurant biz.

Senate wasn't obvious that it would spread, either, especially since it was one of the early restaurants to open in the "Gateway Quarter." Lavomatic didn't spread, and basically had the same appearance at first.