PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Cuyahoga County Gov't properties disposition (non-Ameritrust)  (Read 5416 times)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Cleveland: Cuyahoga County govt properties disposition (non-Ameritrust)
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2006, 10:27:13 AM »
I got the impression from past news articles it would be in the 15-20 story range.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2006, 11:02:38 AM »
The Breur building works so horribly at ground level that I will be happy to see it gone and replaced with something (hopefully) more street friendly.  Same with the shorter building behind it.  I'd love for it to be tall, but I'd rather enliven that stretch of East 9th St. and the plaza on the corner of East 9th and Prospect.

Offline glutmax

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2006, 12:45:03 PM »
Does anybody know when the AT last had any tenants?

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2006, 04:42:31 PM »
That would be the early 1990s (late 80s possibly) when Cleveland Trust was Ameritrust and getting ready to relocate into the (now unbuilt) Ameritrust Center.

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2006, 09:20:33 AM »
^ I thought Society had some people in there for a while, but I won't challenge the Cleveland Skyscraper aficionado

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2006, 09:23:22 AM »
You might be right - I wasn't living in Cleveland at the time. I do know it's been vacant since the 1990s but I'm not sure how far back.

Offline blinker12

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Could progress on this project *be* any more glacial??

Friday, April 28, 2006 

County considers razing Breuer-designed Ameritrust Tower'

By Steven Lit
Plain Dealer Architecture Critic

A Cleveland office tower designed by a giant of 20th century architecture could be razed to make room for a new county administration building.

“We are exploring the viability of tearing it down,” Cuyahoga County Administrator Dennis Madden said Friday, speaking of the 28-story Ameritrust Tower, designed by Marcel Breuer and completed in 1971.

But first, the Cuyahoga County commissioners want some free advice. Earlier this week, the county sent a letter to 11 architecture teams vying for the job of designing the new county offices.

The letter asks each team would it approach the assignment. It also raises implicitly the question “whether the architects want to go on record as to tearing down the Breuer building,” said Mig Halpine, director of communications for the New Haven, Conn., architecture firm of Pelli Clarke Pelli, one of the firms seeking the job...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:28:59 PM by McCleveland »

Offline CH Jake

• Huntington Tower 330'
Despite the "low ceilings" mentioned, would it be possible to build an "addition" of some sort against one or two faces of the Breuer tower to provide additional floor space while preserving some of its exterior appearance? 

Personally, I don't care for it and wouldn't be upset to see it taken down, but if there is a way to make it functional then I could be persuaded to keep it.

I had a British colleague visiting yesterday and she was amazed at the number of old buildings that we have that are still substantially the same as they were when they were built.  I (and she) might not understand entirely why that is so, but she thought that since most old buildings in London have been in continuous use and have been continuously updated for 1000 years, they don't have many buildings left that haven't been completely remodeled inside the facade.  Need for the space has outweighed preservation.

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Tear that ugly, gloomy, "brutal" thing down!

(sorry MGD)

Online StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
I had a British colleague visiting yesterday and she was amazed at the number of old buildings that we have that are still substantially the same as they were when they were built.  I (and she) might not understand entirely why that is so, but she thought that since most old buildings in London have been in continuous use and have been continuously updated for 1000 years, they don't have many buildings left that haven't been completely remodeled inside the facade.  Need for the space has outweighed preservation.

Most of our "old" buildings were built in the era of modern plumbing and electricity, so I would think their functionality has perisisted a bit better than pre 20th century English buildings (the ones that weren't bombed to the ground in WWII).

I'll be curious to see what this corner looks like in 10 years.  My biggest fear (perhaps unfounded) is the demolition of the Breuer tower, the demolition of the nice old office building on Euclid next to the old bank building, and the construction of a fat ugly new building that "clasps" (and overwhelms) the old bank building.

Offline blinker12

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
10 years? If we're lucky, the conceptuals *might* be done by then... ;)

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
I could go either way with the building. Part of me likes it and another part says that the govt needs an efficient space.  I just wish that they would get moving with it. 

Offline urbanlife

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
I don't see why they can't save the tower and connect lower floors with new construction of whatever goes on Huron & E.9 and the new parking garage they plan to build where the existing building is on Euclid.

It seems with some creative design work on the lower levels, the tower can be incorporated into larger floor plates, maybe even cutting out floors in the existing building to create a grander center area.  The upper floors could then be used for smaller departments requiring smaller floor plates or for other uses, where departments could de divided among floors.

The other thing was that this building was always designed to have the 2d tower abut the Euclid side with no windows.  Some creative work here could incorporate a smaller, 'lighter' tower on this side.

I think that Cleveland has to learn to appreciate what it has architecturally, and tearing things down that still have significant useful life, doesn't make much sense to me.

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Did you catch where Steven Litt said I had "acquired taste?" 

I'm glad that this discussion is being undertaken in a serious way.  If the project takes a little longer, but comes out with a solution that stands out as the best possible design, then I can accept that.  I'm not "in love" with Breuer's tower, but I do like that it adds to the diversity of our Downtown and high rise architectural portfolio.  I also like the ideas presented here that would incorporate parts of the existing structure in a significant remodel.

No mention in this article of the building next door (1010 Euclid)

Offline StrangeBrew

• Huntington Tower 330'
i think i heard some where that cleveland construction company R B Carbone was hired to demo the tower . . .

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Carbone was selected to manage the entire construction project. 

Offline Vulpster03

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Wow; what a decent Litt article. I think he is a smart guy, but most of the time I can't stand his cynism and negative bias. The one thing about the new Cuyahoga County administration headquarters that I think makes the modernist structure worth saving is the neoclassical component of the building directly on the intersection of E.9th and Euclid. I find the combination of the two stuctures really intesting and unique. The Cleveland Museum of Art's renovation has choosen to preserve their brutalist Breuer component while increasing the status of the neoclassical component. Perhaps a similar approach should be taken with the Ameritrust complex. I don't think it would be necessary or wise to demolition the Breuer tower. However some renovation is probably necessary, but most significantly is probably a facade cleaning and restoration. Once the exterior is cleaned, I think it would be a much more appealing structure.

Offline JDD941

I know I am going to receive a verbal ass kicking for this....but I absolutely HATE that tower....it looks like an old abandoned beehive.   The only thing I would miss about that tower gone is the height.  I would hope if a new tower is built, it would be at LEAST the same height.   On a side not...I wish that section of downtown would be better lit to show off the buildings...when you roll into town up 71 or 77, it looks like there are only three buildings until you get very close. 

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
^ I don't disagree with you. There's nothing I find visually appealing about the tower, except the height -- like you said. Plus, one side of it is barren of windows because a second "wing" of the tower was proposed to front Euclid where the 1010 building is. I understand totally why the county wants the tower demolished -- small floor space is a big reason.

But I don't understand why the 1010 building has to be demolished. I would have thought demolishing the small, ugly Ameritrust "annex" just south along East 9th from the tower would provide the county with all the floor space it would need. The county then can put its parking deck where the current deck is on East 9th at Huron/Prospect -- the one connected to the Ameritrust complex by the overhead walkway.

The 1010 needs to be saved! What a terrific housing conversion that would be.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 11:06:25 PM by KJP »
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline RyanScav

• Rhodes Tower 629'
So.. why not?

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
You want Erieview Tower in blue and Ameritrust Center in quasi-color ecstasy?

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
hello-I am new to this site. I am glad to see there others who are as obsessed with downtown development as I am. I would hate to lose a 27 story structure downtown-we need all we can get. The problem is if they decide to demo it-it will be 5 years before we will see anything standing there again. With all of the heavy hitters they have brought to the table, I hope someone will suggest that they can re-skin it and bring it up to date. Although I would like to see something new and progressive, remember we are talking about the county and my fear is they could give us something worse than we already have.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
^the skin is not the problem.  The poor floor plans are what the county doesn't like.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Offline Vulpster03

^ Then why did the county buy the building in the first place?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
Does anyone remember those "hypercolor" t-shirts from the late 80's?  That's what that hot pink/blue Ameritrust Center reminds me of.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Cuz Dick Jacobs probably did a $licker job at lobbying than the other property owners.

Offline Vulpster03

Cuz Dick Jacobs probably did a $licker job at lobbying than the other property owners.

Exactly - although in my opinion it is a great location and using the Rotunda building will be great.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
^ I agree. Something had to be done with that huge, vacant skyscraper and the lovely rotunda. To have them sit there empty was almost as big of an embarassment to the city as having a parking lot on Public Square. Gee, I wonder who owns that property ? ? ? ?

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
From today's peedee
Breuer office tower worthy of saving, say architects
By Steven Litt
Plain Dealer Architecture Critic

Cuyahoga County could save tens of millions of dollars by renovating a 35-year-old downtown office tower designed by Marcel Breuer instead of tearing it down and replacing it.

So says Cleveland architect Douglas Hoffman, a member of a firm seeking the assignment of designing the new administrative center for the county.

More at http://www.cleveland.com/weblogs/entertainment/index.ssf?/mtlogs/cleve_entertainment/archives/2006_05.html#139262
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:23:57 PM by MayDay »

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
again, no mention of 1010, but a very informative article nonetheless... now, what about the other 10 applicants?