PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Racism  (Read 25026 times)

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Racism
« Reply #1530 on: May 04, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »
So you are penalized for not working where there is the MOST competition to get a job (lower unemployment rates)?

You have that backwards. It's far easier to get a job when unemployment is low. Try finding a job in a place where unemployment is over 20% and every job posting gets 500 resumes. When unemployment is low, as it is in Wayne County, it's the other way around - job postings might go weeks without any qualified applicants.

When a Trumper makes the case against the Medicaid work requirement and doesn't realize it....

I realized what I was saying.. I wouldn't have said it otherwise.  I pointed out that I agree with the proposal put forth in Michigan. In rural areas where unemployment is over 20% and jobs are inaccessible, work requirements may need to be selectively relaxed. In areas of low unemployment, especially urban areas where jobs are within a short commute, there's absolutely no reason not to be gainfully employed.

But Detroit, MI has high unemployment.  Shouldn't the requirements need to be relaxed there too?

And you analysis is way off in some other ways too.  Areas of low unemployment are attracting more people from outside the region creating more competition for available jobs.  Economics is more complex that your defense of this dumb proposal.

Online mu2010

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1531 on: May 04, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »
But Detroit, MI has high unemployment.  Shouldn't the requirements need to be relaxed there too?

Yes it's, just a cheap trick to draw the lines on a map in such a way that benefits Trump voters and not Democrats. Since Southeastern Michigan has terrible public transit, how is a poor person in Detroit supposed to get to a job in the suburbs?

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1532 on: May 04, 2018, 10:06:44 AM »
So you are penalized for not working where there is the MOST competition to get a job (lower unemployment rates)?

You have that backwards. It's far easier to get a job when unemployment is low. Try finding a job in a place where unemployment is over 20% and every job posting gets 500 resumes. When unemployment is low, as it is in Wayne County, it's the other way around - job postings might go weeks without any qualified applicants.

When a Trumper makes the case against the Medicaid work requirement and doesn't realize it....

I realized what I was saying.. I wouldn't have said it otherwise.  I pointed out that I agree with the proposal put forth in Michigan. In rural areas where unemployment is over 20% and jobs are inaccessible, work requirements may need to be selectively relaxed. In areas of low unemployment, especially urban areas where jobs are within a short commute, there's absolutely no reason not to be gainfully employed.

You are picking and choosing who gets assistance based on the factors (mostly outside of their control) around them.

If it were so easy to get a job in these areas why wouldn't those jobs be filled?

The bill's Senate sponsors admit that this proposal isn't about saving money; in fact, it'll cost about $30 million a year to administer the program.

This doesn't even save the state money.

"Every one of these reasons to deny you healthcare kills people," Paul Propson, CEO of Covenant Community Care in Detroit, a primary health care provider that sees 20,000 patients with Medicaid benefits or no insurance coverage each year, told me last month. "It might only kill 10 people or 50 people or 100 people, but when there are delays in accessing health care, there are victims."

There is really no rationale behind denying poor people healthcare coverage.

Unemployment in Detroit is 8.5%, but the suburbs in Wayne County push the unemployment rate for the county down to below 6% or below the proposal's threshold. 

In areas of low unemployment, especially urban areas where jobs are within a short commute, there's absolutely no reason not to be gainfully employed.

Those don't exist in Michigan, try again.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1533 on: May 04, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »

Yes it's, just a cheap trick to draw the lines on a map in such a way that benefits Trump voters and not Democrats. Since Southeastern Michigan has terrible public transit, how is a poor person in Detroit supposed to get to a job in the suburbs?

They're not. That's by design. Separating at least 75 percent of urban residents from suburban jobs by one-way transit commutes of 90 minutes or more is as good as building a wall. And Detroit isn't unique in this regard. Most Ohio cities/metro areas have done the same thing.
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1534 on: May 05, 2018, 11:36:44 AM »
this is basically how New Yorkers talk to each other all the time lol

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1535 on: May 05, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »
welcome to the wonderful world of liberal, white New York! Did I say "liberal?" Or did I mean "progressive?" (you say potato...) Whatever you want to call it, it's racist. These are the same people--whites on the Upper West Side in this instance--99.9% percent of whom probably voted for Hillary and who denounce Trump and his supporters on a daily basis. What phonies

Offline jonoh81

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #1536 on: May 05, 2018, 06:13:56 PM »
welcome to the wonderful world of liberal, white New York! Did I say "liberal?" Or did I mean "progressive?" (you say potato...) Whatever you want to call it, it's racist. These are the same people--whites on the Upper West Side in this instance--99.9% percent of whom probably voted for Hillary and who denounce Trump and his supporters on a daily basis. What phonies

Some points for the non-critical thinkers like yourself who believe this is some sort of gotcha:

1. The proposal to further tackle segregation in the district is literally a progressive/liberal idea. 
2. The reporter stated that the majority of parents have been supportive of the plan.
3. There is no indication as to the political persuasions of those people objecting to the plan.  You are making a massive assumption that the minority parents in opposition must be liberal, but there is no information either way.  There is not actually a district in NYC that I could find that didn't have Republican/Trump voters.
4. Even if you could prove one way or another that the opposition was mostly made up of self-proclaimed liberals, you would then have to prove that their opposition was based solely or mostly on racism. 

I have no doubt that there are some hypocrite liberals out there on this issue, but your evidence is pretty much nonexistent that this is one of those cases.       
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:16:41 PM by jonoh81 »

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1537 on: May 06, 2018, 12:06:24 PM »

Some points for the non-critical thinkers like yourself who believe this is some sort of gotcha:

1. The proposal to further tackle segregation in the district is literally a progressive/liberal idea. 
2. The reporter stated that the majority of parents have been supportive of the plan.
3. There is no indication as to the political persuasions of those people objecting to the plan.  You are making a massive assumption that the minority parents in opposition must be liberal, but there is no information either way.  There is not actually a district in NYC that I could find that didn't have Republican/Trump voters.
4. Even if you could prove one way or another that the opposition was mostly made up of self-proclaimed liberals, you would then have to prove that their opposition was based solely or mostly on racism. 

I have no doubt that there are some hypocrite liberals out there on this issue, but your evidence is pretty much nonexistent that this is one of those cases.       

re: 1 and 2--if that's the case then it further magnifies the hypocrisy of these people.
     3--well, no, I can't "prove" anything about the political persuasion of the people objecting, but if you know anything about the demographics of the Upper West Side, you know that it's about the bluest neighborhood in an almost totally blue city. In other words, there's about a 1 in 500 chance that anyone in that crowd is a Trump voter.
     4--not saying the opposition is solely based on racism, but "if it looks like a duck..."  Stop making excuses! Because if this was a roomful of conservatives, I'm sure you would not be giving them the benefit of doubt.

Offline jonoh81

« Reply #1538 on: May 06, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »

re: 1 and 2--if that's the case then it further magnifies the hypocrisy of these people.
     3--well, no, I can't "prove" anything about the political persuasion of the people objecting, but if you know anything about the demographics of the Upper West Side, you know that it's about the bluest neighborhood in an almost totally blue city. In other words, there's about a 1 in 500 chance that anyone in that crowd is a Trump voter.
     4--not saying the opposition is solely based on racism, but "if it looks like a duck..."  Stop making excuses! Because if this was a roomful of conservatives, I'm sure you would not be giving them the benefit of doubt.

How would it magnify the hypocrisy of these people when you can't even prove that they're liberal to begin with?  Your beliefs aren't substitutes for actual facts.

The FACTS are that there are ZERO districts on the UWS of NYC without Republicans in them.  Given that in your own video, it was stated that the majority of the parents were, in fact, supportive of the plan, the small minority witnessed is not representative of the district.  Your belief that those people have to be liberals or that their reasoning is based in race is completely fact-free, much like most of the other garbage you add to the forum.

Oh, so if it looks like a duck, I can safely assume that when your hero and cult leader Donald J. Trump claimed that some Nazis are "fine people", it was pretty f****** racist.  Or when he called Mexicans rapists, that was racist.  Or when he called a bunch of non-white countries *sh**holes*, that was racist.  Or when he questioned a judge's ability to be impartial based on his ethnicity, that was racist too.  Glad you agree!  No excuses!!

I would never have brought up the video either way, because it can't be proven based on the evidence given what the political persuasion of the opposition is.  I wouldn't have been dumb enough to try to use it as a gotcha against conservatives. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:27:58 PM by jonoh81 »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1539 on: May 06, 2018, 07:59:13 PM »
Four brilliant Black women checked out of their @Airbnb. A white woman outside waved at them and they didn't wave back.

So she called the police.

Then helicopters & a slew of police cars swarmed the area.

I've spoken to these sisters - who are shaken up, but pressing on. https://t.co/dpZRUljycI
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1540 on: May 07, 2018, 03:13:15 PM »

How would it magnify the hypocrisy of these people when you can't even prove that they're liberal to begin with?  Your beliefs aren't substitutes for actual facts.

The FACTS are that there are ZERO districts on the UWS of NYC without Republicans in them. 

When did I ever say that there were districts on the Upper West Side (or anywhere else in NYC) without any Republicans?? But as you can see from the vote there are very, very few. Now, utilizing some common sense, it's not that hard to extrapolate that the number of Trump supporters at the meeting in question was probably insignificant. (oh, I get! The racist Trump supporters got together in advance to oppose this plan and they got there early to ensure there would be no seats left for the "good liberals" who embrace the program. lol)

District or Borough   Clinton Votes   Clinton Pct.   Trump Votes   Trump Pct.

Upper West Side      54,758             88.79%            4,614            7.48%
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:17:46 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline jonoh81

« Reply #1541 on: May 07, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »

The FACTS are that there are ZERO districts on the UWS of NYC without Republicans in them. 

When did I ever say that there were districts on the Upper West Side (or anywhere else in NYC) without any Republicans?? But as you can see from the vote there are very, very few. Now, utilizing some common sense, it's not that hard to extrapolate that the number of Trump supporters at the meeting in question was probably insignificant. (oh, I get! The racist Trump supporters got together in advance to oppose this plan and they got there early to ensure there would be no seats left for the "good liberals" who embrace the program. lol)

District or Borough   Clinton Votes   Clinton Pct.   Trump Votes   Trump Pct.

Upper West Side      54,758             88.79%            4,614            7.48%

You are suggesting that a majority-Democratic district means that those people were likely to be liberal, but that's not how it works.  Let's again review how your position is nonsensical and fact-free:

1. You cannot base anything on the presidential vote.  First of all, not everyone who lives in the district actually voted.  Far more than 54,758 people live in that part of NYC.  Second, of those who did vote, you are assuming that the 88.79% that voted for Clinton were all Democrats, but that's very unlikely.  Instead, it was much more likely a mix of Democrats, Independents and even some Republicans who just didn't like Trump, all of which who live in the district.  Third, even if we assume that the vote % broke down exactly between Democrats and Republicans only- meaning only Democrats voted for Clinton and only Republicans voted Trump, the 7.48% is still almost 4,100 Republicans in the district, which is again, not even the actual total of likely Republicans in the district overall. 

2. Next, you miss a key component of the whole question of who these people are- Who actually has children going to school in the district?  Just because a majority of people in the district may be Democrats/liberals hardly means that the number of people who not only have children, but have their children registered in this particular public school district, share the same % of the overall population's political breakdown.  This means that the total population in the district with children is different than the total population, and furthermore, the number of people with children in this particular public school district is even smaller, and that means that their political makeup could be radically different than the general population.

These 2 issues above makes your "common sense" argument worthless, because "common sense" in this case leaves out just about all the relevant information you would need to even begin your base claim of hypocrisy. 

3. Given all of the above that you would have to address, you would then- as mentioned previously- have to survey the political persuasions of those parents who attended the meeting, which you cannot ever do.  Even if you somehow could, you would further have to survey the political leanings of those in opposition to the desegregation plan.  Chances are not anywhere near 100% that all the opposition was from Democrats, because again, we cannot base the likelihood of their politics on the makeup of the neighborhood. 

4. Once you somehow managed to survey the opposition, you would then have to prove racial bias was mostly or entirely at play in the reasoning against the plan.   

Simply put, you literally cannot make a single conclusion about anything given the little information you have available.  Just as you cannot say that they were liberal, I could not say that they're conservative.  We just don't have enough information to claim that.  That's how logical and critical thinking works.  You tried to score a lame gotcha and failed miserably because you didn't bother to think beyond your biases. 

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1542 on: May 10, 2018, 07:24:32 PM »
From Starbucks to Hashtags: We Need to Talk About Why White Americans Call the Police on Black People
https://trib.al/ug1f3W7

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1543 on: May 10, 2018, 11:56:57 PM »
New Data Map Reminds Us Cleveland Is Hyper-Segregated
https://m.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2018/05/10/new-data-map-reminds-us-cleveland-is-hyper-segregated

This quote is soul-crushing....

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #1544 on: May 11, 2018, 01:44:26 AM »
Never trust any map that doesn't include a legend.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1545 on: May 11, 2018, 09:04:19 AM »
Can't be black while napping in a dormitory common room - https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/us/yale-student-napping-black-trnd/index.html?h_sid=c29568179c-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

Can't be black while waiting for a business partner at Starbucks - https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/19/603917872/they-can-t-be-here-for-us-men-arrested-at-philadelphia-starbucks-speak-out?h_sid=c29568179c-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

Can't be black while renting an AirBNB - https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/10/us/airbnb-black-rialto-california-trnd/index.html?h_sid=c29568179c-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

Can't be black while shopping - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/05/08/nordstrom-rack-called-the-police-on-three-black-teens-who-were-shopping-for-prom/?h_sid=c29568179c-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3&noredirect=on&utm_term=.03927d3e60c5

Can't be black while graduating - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/us/florida-black-students-graduation.html?h_sid=c29568179c-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

Can't be black while golfing - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/us/black-women-golfers-york.html?h_sid=c29568179c-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

Can't be black while giving change to the homeless - http://wtkr.com/2018/04/26/local-state-police-respond-to-allegations-made-in-viral-twitter-post/?h_sid=c29568179c-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

Can't be black while going to the gym - https://www.theroot.com/report-l-a-fitness-called-the-cops-on-a-black-man-bec-1825749898?h_sid=c29568179c-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

Can't be black while asking for a fork and knife at a Waffle House - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/us/black-woman-arrest-waffle-house.html?h_sid=c29568179c-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

Can't be black while at a Waffle House - https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/5/10/17340008/anthony-wall-police-waffle-house-video?h_sid=c29568179c-5a9dae7cb23c8497d8ac74a3

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1546 on: May 11, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
A house party I was at in college got busted by the police. 27 kids got underage citations - 26 of us were white. Guess which one got cuffed?

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1547 on: May 13, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »
BTW, the man is a Sikh, not a Muslim.

Anyone who doubts the reality of Islamophobia needs to watch this video from a cafe in California. #EndHate
https://twitter.com/SikhProf/status/995436270049529856

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1548 on: May 14, 2018, 02:07:09 PM »
Florida mom gets a 20 yr sentence for firing a warning shot at a burglar after he'd broke into her home while it was just her & her children there. The same Florida system allowed George Zimmerman to walk free after he chased down and murdered Trayvon Martin. #IncarceratedMomsDay https://t.co/NIz65wMPRD

Online edale

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1549 on: May 14, 2018, 02:53:05 PM »
Four brilliant Black women checked out of their @Airbnb. A white woman outside waved at them and they didn't wave back.

So she called the police.

Then helicopters & a slew of police cars swarmed the area.

I've spoken to these sisters - who are shaken up, but pressing on. https://t.co/dpZRUljycI

Can you PLEASE indicate where you are pulling your articles, tweets, links from? Not only did I think you had personally talked to the 4 women from this story, the link you posted took me to Twitter, which I do not like to visit on my work computer. At least post the whole URL so we can see where the link is taking us.

Also, Shaun King is pretty much the worst instigator there is. A professional agitator and victim. I very much support BLM. I have been present at several of their protests and I 100% support their message, but Shaun King needs to go away.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1550 on: May 14, 2018, 04:23:53 PM »
Florida mom gets a 20 yr sentence for firing a warning shot at a burglar after he'd broke into her home while it was just her & her children there. The same Florida system allowed George Zimmerman to walk free after he chased down and murdered Trayvon Martin. #IncarceratedMomsDay https://t.co/NIz65wMPRD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marissa_Alexander_case

That's a 5-year old case and the woman is no longer in prison.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1551 on: May 15, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »
Congressman says it is un-American to acknowledge that racism exists

"Thatís not America. We donít talk about those things."

https://t.co/dwZxHvc2JL

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1552 on: May 16, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »
^ The debate was about car dealers discriminating against buyers based upon race and the Congressman in question owns car dealerships. He stated that "we don't talk about those things" meaning he, as a car dealer, doesn't talk about the race of the buyer because this is America and what race you are doesn't matter. 

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1553 on: May 16, 2018, 09:39:58 AM »

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1554 on: May 16, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »
^ The debate was about car dealers discriminating against buyers based upon race and the Congressman in question owns car dealerships. He stated that "we don't talk about those things" meaning he, as a car dealer, doesn't talk about the race of the buyer because this is America and what race you are doesn't matter. 

My buddy and I both drive Acura's. He's black, I'm white.

He is paying $74 a month more on his lease than I do for financing on my new model, he has a 2016. I had never even thought of this element to it before.

Offline jonoh81

« Reply #1555 on: May 16, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »
https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/5/15/17358360/white-woman-police-black-real-estate-investor-racial-profiling-memphis-michael-hayes

A white woman called the cops on a black real estate investor. Police defended him.

If only the police everywhere took this approach more often. 

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1556 on: May 16, 2018, 01:03:41 PM »

He is paying $74 a month more on his lease than I do for financing on my new model, he has a 2016. I had never even thought of this element to it before.

You have different model years, who knows what else is different? The options, the down payments, the length of financing, specials that may have been in place at the time of purchase (cash back, no/low interest, etc.), the time of purchase itself, how long each car had been on the lot, how long the model year had been out at the time, your credit scores, etc. Pricing for new cars is basically a formula and there's very little room to wiggle (used cars are a different story). Anyway, blaming the payment difference on race is the lazy way out. 

If only the police everywhere took this approach more often. 

They do, 99.9% of the time, it's just not usually featured in the news.  Every single time police anywhere in the country do anything remotely bad, it hits the national news. So the 25 or so times per year police actually do something bad and/or racist, you hear about, which leads you to believe it happens all the time. Meanwhile, tens of thousands of cops go about their day, every day, behaving like the cops in that video.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1557 on: May 16, 2018, 01:15:04 PM »

You have different model years, who knows what else is different? The options, the down payments, the length of financing, specials that may have been in place at the time of purchase (cash back, no/low interest, etc.), the time of purchase itself, how long each car had been on the lot, how long the model year had been out at the time, your credit scores, etc. Pricing for new cars is basically a formula and there's very little room to wiggle (used cars are a different story). Anyway, blaming the payment difference on race is the lazy way out. 

I don't think he is blaming the payment difference on race but merely wondering if race played a factor in the payment difference.  You are always very quick to dismiss that any type of racism exists which is a common characteristic of Trump voters.

Online edale

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1558 on: May 16, 2018, 01:16:51 PM »

Every single time police anywhere in the country do anything remotely bad, it hits the national news.

LOL you really believe that? I've had a couple of really negative experiences with cops (as a white guy) and those stories didn't make the news. I had a cop cuff me and handle me extremely rough, cursing at me and saying I was going to jail all for not paying a ticket within the 10 days I was given. I was walking into a frickin Walmart in the suburbs, when this cop pulled up to me and put me against the car and patted me down. He said shit about how I probably had heroine and or needles, as "almost all of you guys do", and put me in the police car without even telling me why! It wasn't until we got to the edge of the Walmart property that he told me what was going on. He asked why I, a resident of Cincinnati, would be at this Walmart in the suburbs at 10:30 at night. When I told him my parents lived in this neighborhood, and I was staying there watching the dogs, his tone changed a little. When he asked what street and I gave him the full address and said I grew up and spent my whole life in this neighborhood, he became super friendly. Took me out of the car, took the cuffs off, and told me to pay the ticket. The only thing that kept this pig from taking me to jail was my parents address, and that's super messed up. If I was black, who knows what would have happened to me.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #1559 on: May 16, 2018, 01:48:04 PM »
You should have told Wal-Mart management about that. I bet they don't want the cops talking to their customers like that. Wal-Mart Corporate certainly has more power in this country than a suburban police department.