PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Racism  (Read 13454 times)

Offline Oldmanladyluck

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Re: Racism
« Reply #1410 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »
^Agreed with your flip side comment.  I personally don't think of Common Law when I hear Anglo-American; however, I'm not one to profess feeling offended at every stupid thing said by people. 

Offline mu2010

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1411 on: February 13, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »
It depends on context, and it depends on if it's being invoked in an exclusionary way or not. The United States was started by a bunch of guys from England and their English background and English values/culture heavily influenced their society back then and also influence modern America to this day. I don't think this is in dispute or something we need to hide from.

If people are going to argue that somehow those not descended from that heritage are somehow unfit for American society, that's where it becomes white supremacy. It also goes against the values of the constitution, written by those Anglo dudes, so those who make such an argument don't have a good understanding of the country's principles in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:38:37 AM by mu2010 »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1412 on: February 13, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
I really know nothing specific about sheriff's departments and their history, but our legal system definitely has Anglo roots, as in, it's derived from the legal system of England, England of course being a pioneer in limited government and civil liberties and so on. The American system of government in general definitely has Anglo-American roots.

On the flip side, such rhetoric about America's Anglo roots has certainly been employed by white supremacists, and Jeff Sessions having a questionable history in that regard, I don't know.

Consider being brought to America against your will and having to live (in reality, be oppressed) under its law-enforcement/legal system with little if any opportunity to amend it. When someone says that law-enforcement/legal system which was in place when you were brought to America should remain in place, and be revered, that's a concern for many people of color.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline mu2010

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1413 on: February 13, 2018, 11:45:06 AM »
Of course, but that always seemed to me to be a flaw in the implementation rather than a flaw in the system itself. If the principles and laws laid out in the declaration of independence and constitution would have been followed, the slave trade could not have ever happened, nor could countless other abuses.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:55:49 AM by mu2010 »

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1414 on: February 16, 2018, 01:32:41 PM »
I ran into my landlord this morning who was on-site and was obligated to talk to her for a good 5 minutes when she brought up someone she referred to as "the colored boy" during the conversation. My brother was standing right there; we live in the same building and grab coffee together in the morning before work. He's half black but not many people know that; they assume he's white because he mostly looks it. Now I get why he purposely doesn't go around talking about his heritage and when people ask him if he's mixed with something, he just responds, "it doesn't matter what I am." In theory, he really shouldn't have to hide what he is but obviously, it could work against him. He happens to be into hunting, fishing, trucks and Harleys so he blends in really well.

I was really offended by that; who the hell says "colored" in 2018? Why does it even matter what color someone is in that context? How is that relevant to any small-talk discussion what-so-ever?

The crazy thing about is that she's a f-ing pastor, granted in some po-dunk town but still. She's in her 70s but hell, my grandma was 84 when she died; she was an uncouth hillbilly who said whatever was on her mind but she never said the n-word or referred to people as colored or anything else like that - even if it was normal to do so back in the day because she had a grip on the modern world and she didn't condone that kind of ignorant behavior.

I put Jesus in line with the tooth fairy and Easter bunny but I admire what he allegedly stood for, and I know he wouldn't be the type of guy to point out color of members of his community during small talk, as if it had any meaningful or relevant significance.

My landlord makes me want to puke. That's so ignorant.

It reminds of the people who defend Trump when he makes shocking statements about 'sh!thole countries' or whatever, and they say, "You have to understand, he comes from a different time!"

That's no excuse. I don't care what time you come from, it's your responsibility to change with the times and recognize right from wrong. We don't have separate bathrooms, water fountains or sections of the bus anymore. There's absolutely no reason to refer to people as 'coloreds.' You don't live in the 1950s. This is 2018.