PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Racism  (Read 21194 times)

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Racism
« Reply #1320 on: January 09, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
Scary and bizarre....

According to Public Religion Research Institute, 66% of white working-class Americans say discrimination against whites is now as big as a problem as discrimination againsts blacks and other minorities.
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1321 on: January 10, 2018, 09:06:03 AM »
No such thing as bad publicity, right?

Ohio Basketball Team Kicked Out of Rec League for Wearing Offensive Jerseys
ALEC NATHAN
JANUARY 9, 2018

A team from Kings Mills, Ohio, was kicked out of the Cincinnati Premier Youth Basketball League on Monday after wearing jerseys emblazoned with racially insensitive names.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2753322-ohio-basketball-team-kicked-out-of-rec-league-for-wearing-offensive-jerseys?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1322 on: January 10, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »
^ what makes this even less defensible (which it was never defensible to begin with) was that this was not just a bunch of 15 year olds who got t-shirts but rather there were adult coaches who seemed to not say anything, which is wrong.

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1323 on: January 11, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/10/us/white-racism-class-florida-gulf-coast-university-trnd/index.html

Police stand guard outside Florida university class on 'white racism'

I can only imagine the outcry from a class entitled "Black Homophobia".

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1324 on: January 11, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
But PC snowflakes wanna shut down discussions, amirite?

Offline smith

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1325 on: January 11, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »
Trump

(you can lock and close this thead now)

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1326 on: January 12, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »
Trump's hit list:
-Obama's birth certificate
-Charlottesville
-Immigrants from Haiti/Africa/not-Norway are from sh!%hole countries
-Calls for complete Muslim ban
-Judge Curiel can't serve because he's Mexican

This is racism.  Trump is a racist.  If you support him, you support racism.  Period.

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1327 on: January 12, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »
Isn't that second last sentence like saying if you're a fan of Jim Brown, you support violence against women?

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1328 on: January 12, 2018, 10:05:25 AM »
Isn't that second last sentence like saying if you're a fan of Jim Brown, you support violence against women?

How do you "support" Jim Brown? 

The obvious difference here (I can't believe I have to spell this out) is that Trump's racism is a major reasoning for the policies he wants to enact.  I am unaware of Jim Brown's violence against women being a reason for anything he does for the community?

Trump is not covering up his racism anymore.  It is such a large part of his agenda that you cannot have voted for him knowing his racism with the rationale, "well, yeah, I disagree with his racism but I voted for him because of his other policy positions."  It's in the open now.

I would update my comment this way - If you support him, you support racism.  I don't think that necessarily means you support sexual assault (it's not a huge part of his agenda...yet) despite Trump bragging about it on multiple occasions.  See the difference?

Offline jonoh81

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1329 on: January 12, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
^ what makes this even less defensible (which it was never defensible to begin with) was that this was not just a bunch of 15 year olds who got t-shirts but rather there were adult coaches who seemed to not say anything, which is wrong.

Isn't this PC run amok?  How dare you be offended by this and agree it's not defensible?!  Didn't you say that the right of people to say and do offensive things deserves protection? 

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1330 on: January 12, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
I just don't see it that way. Jim Brown's history of violence against women, hell, he even tried to murder one, is very much a part of his character, legacy and identity, regardless of his field skills and involvement in the movies and civil rights movement, much like Trump's xenophobia and racism is a part of his persona. And yet people are devoted to Jim Brown in the same way Trump supporters are for the orange one -- but I don't know if that that means they support these enormous flaws, just that they look past them or focus on more important issues.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1331 on: January 12, 2018, 11:16:34 AM »
A political party whose sole platform is anti-racism would hold very few seats anywhere in the world.  People, on the whole, are very racist.  If we insist on fixing that before fixing anything else, we won't get much done.  We'll have better luck getting racists and the people they hate to work together solving problems they both agree on.

Offline jonoh81

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1332 on: January 12, 2018, 11:26:55 AM »
A political party whose sole platform is anti-racism would hold very few seats anywhere in the world.  People, on the whole, are very racist.  If we insist on fixing that before fixing anything else, we won't get much done.  We'll have better luck getting racists and the people they hate to work together solving problems they both agree on.

Saying that people on the whole are racist is just some ridiculous generalizing.  No, not everyone- or even most- is racist.  Nor is it an insignificant issue, because extreme negative bias like that is a significant factor in positions on immigration, law and order, Civil Rights, voting, international relations, poverty, education, etc. 

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1333 on: January 12, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »
^ I think it might be fair to say that most of us have biases and some of us are more aware of them and try to recognize this.  I don't think it makes someone a bad person to have some biases.  It is a product of the society we live in.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1334 on: January 12, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »
We live in a relatively enlightened society and racism still plays a heavy hand in our affairs.  Many parts of the world don't even have factions trying to eradicate racism like we do, they'd sooner just eradicate certain people.  Enlightenment is hardly universal.  It's been an uphill climb and we aren't very far up that hill.

Offline jonoh81

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1335 on: January 12, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »
^ I think it might be fair to say that most of us have biases and some of us are more aware of them and try to recognize this.  I don't think it makes someone a bad person to have some biases.  It is a product of the society we live in.

Having some biases that we learned as kids or something and generally ignore or work to overcome (and in which we don't let affect our behavior) is different than being a racist, IMO.  Saying everyone is biased may be closer to reality, but saying everyone is racist is not remotely true. 

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1336 on: January 12, 2018, 12:53:22 PM »
^ i agree.  My point is that many of us may have a certain thought in our head if we see a group of black teenagers or young men congregating but generally just laughing and having fun that we might not have if the group is white teenagers that look like us.  I think that is normal due to media exposure and such.  The way to grow is to be cognizant of these biases and recognize them.

Offline jonoh81

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1337 on: January 12, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »
We live in a relatively enlightened society and racism still plays a heavy hand in our affairs.  Many parts of the world don't even have factions trying to eradicate racism like we do, they'd sooner just eradicate certain people.  Enlightenment is hardly universal.  It's been an uphill climb and we aren't very far up that hill.

That's what I'm saying.  Racism isn't some isolated, contained problem.  It permeates so many other societal problems, so to suggest it's better to focus on other issues is short-sighted.  Plus, I think we are capable of doing more than one thing at a time.  That said, I still fully disagree with the assertion that most or all people are racist. 

Offline jonoh81

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1338 on: January 12, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
^ i agree.  My point is that many of us may have a certain thought in our head if we see a group of black teenagers or young men congregating but generally just laughing and having fun that we might not have if the group is white teenagers that look like us.  I think that is normal due to media exposure and such.  The way to grow is to be cognizant of these biases and recognize them.

I get that.  A lot of gut reaction is learned.  I think what is missed by the anti-PC people is that the entire basis of that movement is not to shame people, but to make them aware that their words and actions do actually have consequences on others, and we can't change what we're unaware of.  Of course, a lot of the anti-PC movement is promoted by outright racists/bigots who are very aware of what they're doing. 

Offline casey

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1339 on: January 12, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »
Trump's hit list:

Good list but don't forget the very first thing he said on descending the golden escalator.

"They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Also from way back the housing discrimination and his lynch mob mentality re: the Central Park Five

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1340 on: January 12, 2018, 06:37:56 PM »

Jesse Jackson even admitted to similar concerns.    Much of what is called "racism" today is actually cultural bias or discomfort.

Offline DarkandStormy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1341 on: January 12, 2018, 08:45:38 PM »
Trump's hit list:

Good list but don't forget the very first thing he said on descending the golden escalator.

"They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

Also from way back the housing discrimination and his lynch mob mentality re: the Central Park Five

I cannot keep up with every racist thing the man has said.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1342 on: January 12, 2018, 08:46:51 PM »
Trump's hit list:

I cannot keep up with every racist thing the man has said.

racists say a lot of racist stuff.  this shouldn't surprise us.

Offline mu2010

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1343 on: January 12, 2018, 11:31:53 PM »
Much of what is called "racism" today is actually cultural bias or discomfort.

I think the conversation suffers because of how people define that word. Too many things fall under the umbrella of "racism," and everybody seems to have their own definition of it. I've watched talks on YouTube by social justice types, and they will say things like "racism in society isn't a personal issue, we all are part of it, it's a system, it's different from bias or prejudice. One of the reasons we struggle with talking about racism is because calling somebody or something racist is akin to saying they're a bad person, and then they get really defensive, and it's counterproductive." Ok, good so far. Makes a lot of sense to me. But then the same people will say "Trump is a super racist piece of crap" completely going against the definition provided earlier. These people need to enroll in some marketing class along side their diversity studies classes in order to learn about brand consistency.

We could benefit from having a few different words replace "racism." But doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:37:20 PM by mu2010 »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1344 on: January 19, 2018, 07:40:17 PM »
Fox News saying America isnít America if white people arenít the majority. This is white supremacy. https://t.co/Eyux4l5sRD
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • BANNED
« Reply #1345 on: January 19, 2018, 10:40:46 PM »
That's not at all an accurate summary of the tweet. You're being a little ridiculous.

If the majority of Arizona students in elementary school are Hispanic, there's nothing inherently racist about suggesting that the border has moved north. It looks like a typical news headline meant to grab attention. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Anti-Hispanic immigration sentiments aren't exclusive to the White supremacist's agenda. Black people often see them as a threat, too. Anyone who is blue collar/working class, can't help but think that they're stealing their jobs. Of course the extent to which they are, is overblown but if you're a white collar worker, it's easy for you to dismiss this as white supremacy or racism because Mexicans aren't coming after your white collar job. Mexican immigrants don't apply for rail lobbyist jobs. They don't apply at non-profits. Those immigrants tend to be dish washers, Orange pickers, factory workers, general laborers - things of that nature. Jobs that I doubt many of you have ever been exposed to or would be caught dead, doing.

Unless you tell me that you mop floors and clean toilets for a living, I'm going to have a hard time taking you seriously when you speak on how ridiculous it is that people are concerned about the mass influx of Mexicans into this country.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:55:04 PM by David »

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • BANNED
« Reply #1346 on: January 20, 2018, 08:51:52 AM »
Monique wants us to boycott Netflix for gender and color bias... To prove her point, she gives examples of other women and African-Americans who were offered more money for stand-up specials on Netflix...

Sorry, Monique, you're just not that popular (or funny.) You should have taken that 500k and ran. There's comedians a lot funnier who would kill for that kind of payout and exposure on Netflix.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:11:07 AM by David »

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1347 on: January 20, 2018, 11:23:28 AM »
That's not at all an accurate summary of the tweet. You're being a little ridiculous.

If the majority of Arizona students in elementary school are Hispanic, there's nothing inherently racist about suggesting that the border has moved north. It looks like a typical news headline meant to grab attention. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Anti-Hispanic immigration sentiments aren't exclusive to the White supremacist's agenda. Black people often see them as a threat, too. Anyone who is blue collar/working class, can't help but think that they're stealing their jobs. Of course the extent to which they are, is overblown but if you're a white collar worker, it's easy for you to dismiss this as white supremacy or racism because Mexicans aren't coming after your white collar job. Mexican immigrants don't apply for rail lobbyist jobs. They don't apply at non-profits. Those immigrants tend to be dish washers, Orange pickers, factory workers, general laborers - things of that nature. Jobs that I doubt many of you have ever been exposed to or would be caught dead, doing.

Unless you tell me that you mop floors and clean toilets for a living, I'm going to have a hard time taking you seriously when you speak on how ridiculous it is that people are concerned about the mass influx of Mexicans into this country.

Mass influx of Mexicans - LOL

when large numbers of Italian immigrants settled in NY did the border of Italy stretch across the Atlantic?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:25:40 AM by freefourur »

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • BANNED
« Reply #1348 on: January 20, 2018, 11:33:10 AM »
There you go, being ridiculous. I have to answer that?

No, because the Atlantic Ocean is a large physical barrier and a huge inconvenience. Unlike Mexico, which is a Planck Unit south of the U.S.A.   ::) Good God.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1349 on: January 20, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »
i just looked at a map of the US and the location of the Mexican border didn't  move north though.  I guess the borders don't shift with the movement of people.