PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Columbus Crew Discussion  (Read 9132 times)

Coseau and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Re: Columbus Crew Discussion
« Reply #1380 on: December 07, 2017, 11:43:17 AM »
^ I think the Bengals and Browns and Reds and Tribe have a stronger case

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1381 on: December 07, 2017, 12:43:27 PM »
^ I think the Bengals and Browns and Reds and Tribe have a stronger case

Were the Bengals and Browns and Reds and Tribe stadiums built on state-owned land?
#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1382 on: December 07, 2017, 01:04:14 PM »
I was told the Tribe is on leased land, which could become a problem down the line.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1383 on: December 07, 2017, 04:02:27 PM »
Report from the Dispatch's Crew reporter:  https://twitter.com/AEricksonCD/status/938865125976694786

Online ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #1384 on: December 08, 2017, 04:25:59 PM »
DeWine to Precourt: 'My office will enforce' law to keep Crew in Columbus

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine has sent a note to Anthony Precourt about unprecedented potential legal action to keep the Columbus Crew SC from leaving town.

"The Columbus Crew is a valued part of the Central Ohio community, and I join with those asking you to keep the Crew in Columbus," DeWine wrote. "However, in light of continued accounts that you are 'exploring ... potentially relocating the club to the city of Austin, Texas' I write to reiterate your obligations under Ohio law."

Possible legal action comes from what's known as the Browns' rule, meant to keep taxpayer supported teams from packing up and moving.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/12/08/dewine-to-precourt-my-office-will-enforce-law-to.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline bendixondavis

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1385 on: December 09, 2017, 06:11:56 PM »
From the interview with Don Garber during halftime today, looks like he is continuing the narrative that the Crew haven't been "profitable". Looks like instead of promotion relegation, we just have termination in MLS. Loved what Alejandro Merano said "You Have to respect your roots."  Its insane. What would Spanish soccer be like if Real Madrid moved to Seville because they had a few seasons where fans didn't show up? Or if Man U moved to Yorkshire? It just doesn't make sense.  The American sports model of moving teams doesn't work for soccer.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #1386 on: December 09, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
And how do they know the team will be profitable in Austin? Poor-mouthing is one of a businesspersons favorite techniques. Hell, I do it!

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1387 on: December 10, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »
Given the franchise setup with MLS being different than MLB and NFL, this law may not apply as well as could when it was originally adopted to cover those other sports. Also, I can see how this would be unenforceable since it effectively diminishes the value of the team compared to other cities and states.

Offline SWOH

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1388 on: December 10, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
And how do they know the team will be profitable in Austin? Poor-mouthing is one of a businesspersons favorite techniques. Hell, I do it!

Exactly. Going to Austin is a lateral move, Columbus and Austin are very similar size-wise. Demographics are similar too - Austin's median age is 34.4 and Columbus' is 35.6. The only big difference I see is Austin is more Hispanic and less white than Columbus.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1389 on: December 10, 2017, 09:15:04 PM »
Austin has no other competing teams in the market whereas Columbus has the Jackets and Buckeyes to share the corporate dollars with.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #1390 on: December 10, 2017, 09:24:50 PM »
The Hartford Whalers also had none of that type of competition.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1391 on: December 10, 2017, 09:53:22 PM »
Austin has no other competing teams in the market whereas Columbus has the Jackets and Buckeyes to share the corporate dollars with.

Ya know there's a little college located in Austin too!

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1392 on: December 10, 2017, 09:57:42 PM »
yea, but they are the equivalent to a MAC school. :)

Online ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #1393 on: December 10, 2017, 10:00:32 PM »

I take it you've never been to Austin.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1394 on: December 10, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »
yea, but they are the equivalent to a MAC school. :)

Okay man, you're digging yourself deeper lol.

#gozips #maction

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1395 on: December 10, 2017, 11:18:07 PM »

I take it you've never been to Austin.

Nice town, not much of a football team though

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1396 on: December 12, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »
So here is the MLS narrative on Columbus and their fans:

"The level of public support is significant," he said of the four expansion candidates. "We havenít seen that in Columbus. Maybe Columbus should look at what Detroit and Nashville and Cincinnati and Sacramento are doing and think, maybe if this thing is turned from where it was to where it needs to be, that the Crew might have been more successful."

Offline DarkandStormy

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1397 on: December 12, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »
The MLS is effing stupid.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/11/mls-cup-2017-television-ratings-espn-rise-75-percent-over-2015-edition

Seattle was the top local market with a 7.0 rating, the second-highest local market rating for MLS Cup on ESPN networks since 2006 (Portlandís 7.3 rating in 2015 remains tops). The rest of the top 10:

Louisville (3.2)
Columbus (1.7)
Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News (1.1)
Raleigh-Durham (1.1)
Atlanta (1.0)
Indianapolis (1.0)
Portland (1.0)
Austin (0.9)
Birmingham (0.9)
Memphis (0.9)
Philadelphia (0.9)

There's your "metrics."

Offline edale

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1398 on: December 12, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »

And yet, Cincy is all in on getting into this league   :-X

So here is the MLS narrative on Columbus and their fans:

"The level of public support is significant," he said of the four expansion candidates. "We havenít seen that in Columbus. Maybe Columbus should look at what Detroit and Nashville and Cincinnati and Sacramento are doing and think, maybe if this thing is turned from where it was to where it needs to be, that the Crew might have been more successful."

What does this even mean? Look at what Detroit and Nashville are doing? What are they doing? Nashville doesn't even have a USL team.

Sadly, the use of past tense (might have been more successful) seems like a bad omen for the Crew. If the MLS wanted to keep Columbus as a viable market, why would they have not worked with the city and team owners to counsel them on how things could be improved? You know, share some of that knowledge of success in Sacramento and Nashville and what not.

It's my understanding that the movement to move the team didn't stem from a single issue like a stadium, but rather a lot of different factors loosely tied to attendance, corporate support (?), aging and poorly located stadium, etc. Obviously the biggest reason for the potential departure of the Crew is the ownership group, but I do wonder why the MLS is so complicit. Maybe they just want to be in a city with better name recognition, as sad as that is. I wonder if things would be different if they were named the Ohio Crew. Columbus still is relatively unknown to people on the coasts (even moreso than Cincinnati), so I could see the MLS wanting to ditch it in favor of cities that have more 'major league' reputations, or that are more widely recognized nationally. Either way, this whole situation has really sucked for Cbus, and I think it's foolish for Cincy to be so eager to join a league that is majorly screwing over a city 1.5 hours away up 71.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:08:57 PM by edale »

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1399 on: December 12, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/12/mls-commissioner-expansion-teams-timetable-could.html

Here is the link to the article.
Essentially, Garber laments the lack of local ownership as key reason why Columbus is not serious about supporting the Crew. Also, he essentially pokes them for being outdrawn by a USL team. Finally, he said that the fans and city leaders in Columbus need to look at what Cincy, Det, Sac and Nashville are doing as how to support a team.

The ironic thing is outside of Cincy and Sac, the other 2 cities have no team or history.

Metrics do not matter. This is the narrative from the front office and ultimately, their opinion matters more than the facts.

Online Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1400 on: December 12, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
Article was behind a paywall.  Are the references to Detroit and Nashville then references to incentive packages put forth by those municipalities?  (In other words, just trying to hype up a bidding war?)

Either way, I supported public incentives for the Arena District because (a) it was a new arena for a new team, (b) it was to replace a dilapidated jail that was an active liability for a part of downtown ripe for development, and (c) it came with a major commitment of corporate support for redevelopment of the entire area, not just the stadium itself (so the promise of follow-on private capital was a lot more real, a lot less speculative, than in many stadium hope-and-pray deals).  Almost nothing that the Crew owners could be demanding from Columbus has much chance of offering comparable upside (or the elimination of comparable downsides).  There's nothing wrong with playing in an old venue; it's not like the place is about to collapse.  (How long did the Clippers play on the West Side, again?)

If Columbus and Franklin County "lose" the crew in the sense of not being able to sell out the public purse enough to keep them, I'll consider that a loss worth losing.  Especially because, given the current ownership group, you have to assume that they wouldn't accept a deal that would keep them here for the truly long term.  (By contrast, I think the Blue Jackets now have a deal that will keep them here for something like 20 or even 30 years.)

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1401 on: December 12, 2017, 06:05:54 PM »
The Louisville number is so high because Louisville was playing Indiana in college basketball immediately before the MLS Final on the same network. Pretty sad statistic.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1402 on: December 12, 2017, 10:47:03 PM »
Article was behind a paywall.  Are the references to Detroit and Nashville then references to incentive packages put forth by those municipalities?  (In other words, just trying to hype up a bidding war?)

Either way, I supported public incentives for the Arena District because (a) it was a new arena for a new team, (b) it was to replace a dilapidated jail that was an active liability for a part of downtown ripe for development, and (c) it came with a major commitment of corporate support for redevelopment of the entire area, not just the stadium itself (so the promise of follow-on private capital was a lot more real, a lot less speculative, than in many stadium hope-and-pray deals).  Almost nothing that the Crew owners could be demanding from Columbus has much chance of offering comparable upside (or the elimination of comparable downsides).  There's nothing wrong with playing in an old venue; it's not like the place is about to collapse.  (How long did the Clippers play on the West Side, again?)

If Columbus and Franklin County "lose" the crew in the sense of not being able to sell out the public purse enough to keep them, I'll consider that a loss worth losing.  Especially because, given the current ownership group, you have to assume that they wouldn't accept a deal that would keep them here for the truly long term.  (By contrast, I think the Blue Jackets now have a deal that will keep them here for something like 20 or even 30 years.)

His references to Columbus in comparing them to the expansion teams are essentially that Columbus has never really supported the team and they could have put their money where their mouth was 5 years ago. He also talks about Miami in the article where he says that for stability of the league you need to have a local ownership group. That is one of the reasons why Miami has not gotten off the ground yet. He says that the thing that the 4 expansion finalists have is strong local ownership to build stability in their markets and ultimately, that is what will lead to long term success. He then says (indirectly) that Columbus could have stepped up 5 years ago and had local ownership purchase the team and then they would not be in this mess.  What this article essentially is saying and Garber admitting is that once PreCourt purchased the team, he had every right to move wherever he wanted and no allegiances to Columbus. That is true for most major league sports. Outside of the major markets, local ownership is essential in their teams too.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1403 on: December 13, 2017, 07:40:04 PM »

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/11/mls-cup-2017-television-ratings-espn-rise-75-percent-over-2015-edition

Or, from a non-mls.com site:  http://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/12/12/2017-mls-cup-final-viewership-drops-43-across-espn-univision-deportes/

"The 2017 MLS Cup final between Toronto FC and Seattle Sounders averaged 1.1 million viewers across ESPN, UniMas and Univision Deportes combined, which is a 43% drop compared to last yearís final (which was on the FOX network and Univision)"

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1404 on: December 13, 2017, 07:47:08 PM »
The cool detached professional veneer of MLS commish Don Garber (aka @thesoccerdon) is starting to crack:

https://twitter.com/Morgan_Hughes/status/940990730910265345

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1405 on: December 13, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »
My new FB pic.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1406 on: December 14, 2017, 06:28:27 AM »
this is so ridiculous. columbus has well supported the crew since day one when it was a club team. just sell the team off to wexner or somebody else local already. twin city austin is a lateral move at best. sheesh. its sad to hear.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1407 on: December 15, 2017, 11:11:02 AM »

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1408 on: December 15, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »
And just in time for The Last Jedi, #SaveTheCrew got this included in the pre-screening ads/notices at every AMC theater in Columbus:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:29:51 AM by Columbo »

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1409 on: December 15, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »
Found the full #SaveTheCrew ad being shown in AMC theaters on YouTube: