PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Random Development News & Info  (Read 46493 times)

Offline jim uber

• Great American Tower 665'
Re: Cincinnati: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #3270 on: April 24, 2018, 11:16:38 PM »
^speaking of the funky exterior, it bugs me when the lintels above the windows are the same width as the window. I just feel like the lintels are going to fall down. I know they probably serve no weight-bearing function and are affixed to the wood frame structure somehow. It just looks like it was designed by somebody who doesn’t understand masonry.
Wow I've never seen that before. I'm not an architect, but I can't understand how you can be an architect, do something like that, and then hope to get another design job.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3271 on: April 25, 2018, 09:29:31 AM »
Two words, value engineering. I guarantee the architect is well aware that the detail is wrong, but it's more expensive to have larger faux lintels, so they went with what was "good enough" to the general public's eye.

Stuff like this is why I hate faux historic architecture and adamantly oppose it. Because we don't build the same way we used to these details are all fake. And when details are fake, they're much easier to get wrong.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3272 on: April 25, 2018, 01:07:54 PM »
Two words, value engineering. I guarantee the architect is well aware that the detail is wrong, but it's more expensive to have larger faux lintels, so they went with what was "good enough" to the general public's eye.

Stuff like this is why I hate faux historic architecture and adamantly oppose it. Because we don't build the same way we used to these details are all fake. And when details are fake, they're much easier to get wrong.

Yeah - you can see from the renderings on their website that they had to back out some details, presumably to save money. For example, the rendering had double-swing entry doors and windows on the garage level. In the rendering the brick was a more handsome, darker brick that contrasted more with the lower level CMUs. The actual brick they ended up using is lighter and has much more variation, making the whole facade just look dirty/messy.
https://www.oylergroup.com/the-broadway-brownstones-loveland

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #3273 on: May 04, 2018, 02:39:48 PM »
3CDC has big plans for Court Street

Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. is planning a major $9 million redevelopment along Court Street between Kroger Co.’s headquarters and a new mixed-use building that will house the company’s downtown grocery store.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/04/3cdc-has-big-plans-for-court-street.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3274 on: May 04, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
can someone with an account share the details of the above article?

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3275 on: May 04, 2018, 10:34:48 PM »
^ Not a whole lot of details yet, but 3CDC plans to renovate the buildings on the north side of Court Street (in between Kroger's corporate HQ and the new Kroger grocery store / apartment tower) into condos.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3276 on: May 07, 2018, 10:46:50 PM »
The Remke shopping center on Beechmont Ave (5218 Beechmont Ave) is seeking a change of zoning to allow for the site to be redeveloped. A couple of the smaller outlot buildings would remain, but the main building would be demolished.

The planning packet (large 39mb file) showing the site plans: http://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=12844416
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:49:41 PM by jwulsin »

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3277 on: May 08, 2018, 10:09:43 PM »
Looks like it will be a great place to live if you want to look out your window and see a parking lot.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #3278 on: May 08, 2018, 10:34:29 PM »
Even if you did full-on mixed use there it would be difficult to integrate it with surrounding areas due to the levee, lack of architectural talent nearby and the wide avenue. At the other end Linwood, meanwhile, may seem like a melted-down Appalachian town but that's what makes it have real potential.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3279 on: May 09, 2018, 08:38:43 AM »
Even if you still have to drive here and park, this would be a perfect opportunity to design something with more of a town center kind of feel.  Think Nolen Park in Mariemont rather than Oakley Square.  Every...single...building here has parking surrounding it, leaving no pedestrian areas at all.  You can't even walk your dog without being in a parking lot.  This is just mind-bogglingly awful. 

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #3280 on: May 09, 2018, 08:47:12 AM »
Is that actually in the city of Cincinnati?  I'm always confused because you are in the city then you cross over the Miami into Mount Washington, unless I'm looking at this wrong?

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3281 on: May 09, 2018, 08:50:48 AM »
It's Anderson Township.  The city limits do some weird stuff there.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #3282 on: May 17, 2018, 03:09:07 PM »
Peek inside the newest luxury condos in downtown Cincinnati

Construction is wrapping up on 16 luxury condominiums in downtown Cincinnati.

The Eight One Three project redeveloped a more than 19,000-square-foot office building at 813 Broadway St. into 16 residential condos. Pearl Cos., an Indianapolis-based real estate development company, is the developer of the roughly $5.5 million project.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/17/peek-inside-the-newest-luxury-condos-in-downtown.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline SleepyLeroy

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #3283 on: May 17, 2018, 03:27:03 PM »
Wow 813 Broadway is WAY deeper than i ever noticed, at first i thought the got the address wrong and were talking about the old BOE building across the street.  Very nice!!

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'

Offline CincyIntheKnow

• Huntington Tower 330'

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3286 on: May 18, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »
Anyone else find this image a little unsettling?

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/17/peek-inside-the-newest-luxury-condos-in-downtown.html#g/434950/11
In addition to the lack of railing, I'm also unsettled by the lack of sound barrier in the ceiling. Noise travels easily through floor joists, so it concerns me that they left those exposed. I worry that folks will be be able to hear their upstairs neighbors walking around. In all of the photos in the slideshow, the joists appear exposed. So, unless the photos are only from the top floor (in which case the lack of insulation will turn the condos into saunas), the noise will be an issue.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3287 on: May 18, 2018, 10:46:04 AM »
If it's the top floor then they could have done foam on the roof deck above for insulation.  That's a good point overall though.  These old floors also tend to rain down dirt and grit when someone walks above.  That said, the floors in this unit run parallel to the joists above, which is unusual.  That may mean they put down sleepers on the floors to help isolate them and add a layer of insulation. 

Offline mcmicken

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #3288 on: May 18, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »
Anyone else find this image a little unsettling?

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/17/peek-inside-the-newest-luxury-condos-in-downtown.html#g/434950/11
In addition to the lack of railing, I'm also unsettled by the lack of sound barrier in the ceiling. Noise travels easily through floor joists, so it concerns me that they left those exposed. I worry that folks will be be able to hear their upstairs neighbors walking around. In all of the photos in the slideshow, the joists appear exposed. So, unless the photos are only from the top floor (in which case the lack of insulation will turn the condos into saunas), the noise will be an issue.

They could have put a layer of gypcrete over the existing floor to help deaden sound, as it appears the floor finishes are all new.

Offline jim uber

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #3289 on: May 18, 2018, 01:09:02 PM »
^ In addition to these good points, I'll add that only having this ceiling look different - i.e. drywall over the joists - says very little about sound deadening. Batt insulation in the joist cavities also does very little. The sound carries from the heel strike through the subfloor and joists, and a standard ceiling just becomes a speaker for it below. Any sound deadening job that's effective can't be identified from appearance alone. It takes some measure that breaks the sound waves from traveling, so probably something like a gypcrete coating could be much more effective anyway.

I remember just after I moved into an OTR condo rehab, the unit above me was rented. The sound of heels striking the wood floor was amazing. It was like they were walking in my living room. And this unit had "standard" drywall and batt insulation with new hardwood floors above. Best solution is for everyone to take off their shoes.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #3290 on: May 18, 2018, 01:31:17 PM »
Developer seeking tax credits for conversion of historical Provident building

Pearl Cos., which purchased the Provident Bank Building at 642 Vine St., is requesting Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credits.

The Provident Building at 642 Vine St. will be converted into 160 market-rate apartments.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/18/developer-seeking-tax-credits-for-conversion-of.html

Offline ucgrady

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #3291 on: May 25, 2018, 01:29:58 PM »
https://www.depaulcristorey.org/page.cfm?p=782

I haven't seen this anywhere else but DePaul Cristo Rey is redoing their entire campus and getting a large addition onto the existing church. The link above has a video and some plans showing the addition. It should have a really nice presence from Central Parkway, and to a lesser extent I-75. Certainly a huge improvement over the existing building and the modular/trailers that are being used now.

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3292 on: May 26, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
Where will this abomination be?

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #3293 on: May 29, 2018, 02:54:25 PM »
Four development teams submit wildly different proposals for Anderson property

Four Greater Cincinnati development teams submitted wildly different proposals for a more than 5.5-acre site in Anderson Township.

Anderson Township sent out a request for proposals in January to redevelop the Anderson Center Station Park and Ride, located at 7832 Five Mile Road. Four development teams responded with plans for the property ranging from a 25,000-square-foot medical office building to combining the property with another 2.2-acre site for a development that would include 120 independent living units and 165 apartments.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/29/four-development-teams-submit-wildly-different.html

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #3294 on: May 30, 2018, 03:40:19 PM »
$20 million luxury condo project tops out in Mariemont

Greiwe Development Group along with partners North American Properties and Sibcy Cline have completed framing on a $20 million luxury condominium project in Mariemont.

To celebrate the milestone, the development team held a topping out ceremony for Hampstead Park on May 29. The traditional ceremony includes lifting an evergreen tree to the top of the completed frame. The act honors nature’s materials and the team that constructed the building.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/30/20-million-luxury-condo-project-tops-out-in.html

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #3295 on: May 31, 2018, 08:12:45 PM »
Get a sneak peek at the latest downtown Cincinnati apartments

Another downtown Cincinnati office building is being converted to apartments.

Rookwood Properties is well underway on the conversion of the former Hamilton County Board of Elections building at 824 Broadway St. into Crane Factory Flats. The project is expected to be complete in the third quarter of 2018, with pre-leasing and hard hat tours starting in July. The conversion to apartments is expected to be an investment of $10 million.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/05/31/get-a-sneak-peek-at-the-latest-downtown-cincinnati.html

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3296 on: June 13, 2018, 04:49:36 PM »
The latest Planning Commission packet has some details about the Milhaus proposal, which the Commission is recommending. Looks like Milhaus would tear down the existing 2-story structure: https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/planning/about-city-planning/city-planning-commission/jun-15-2018/

Whoever just snagged 830 Lincoln Ave. for $7,500 just got a steal.  There is no reason why the city should be giving away land like that if someone doesn't have immediate plans to build. 

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3297 on: June 13, 2018, 07:10:55 PM »
^yeah. The city should have put out an RFP to see if any developers had better ideas than just leaving it as a fenced in lawn. That area should be a top priority for infill and increasing density.

Offline RJohnson

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #3298 on: June 13, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »
The Cincy radio proposal would be a terrible use of this land.  Hopefully they can find somewhere else downtown for them but no way should they go in this spot over apartments.
how about the old wlwt building. Keep the historic building. Add a modern annex over existing parking.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3299 on: June 13, 2018, 09:54:49 PM »
^yeah. The city should have put out an RFP to see if any developers had better ideas than just leaving it as a fenced in lawn. That area should be a top priority for infill and increasing density.

It's a 200x100 property.  So room for up to TEN single-family attached row houses.  But they'll probably tear down the historic multifamily that they are currently renting.

Moreover, the owner of the adjacent multifamily is an LLC from New York who just bought it in 2015.  Moreover, the owner of the vacant land on the other side of that multifamily paid $145,000 for a 90x200 plot.   

So back in 2013 "Five Korners LLC" paid $150,000 for a 90x200 plot (814 & 816 Lincoln) but "NVS Properties" is getting a corner parcel nearly identical in size for $7,500. 

Cranley, Cranley, Cranley.