PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)  (Read 31297 times)

Offline wjh2

• Dirt Lot 0'
Re: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)
« Reply #5010 on: December 27, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »
I wouldn't put a ton of stock into the latest HCB packets as those have been between Thanksgiving thru the Holidays in which the business world in general slows down significantly, hopefully after the new year we see more proposals in those.

Also there have been some big projects either open recently or are close such as the new Empower HQ, 15th/Vine Office building, Strietman Biscuit office conversion which all have considerable square feet associated with them. Not to mention in the late summer/fall Ziegler Park reopened which will help things along Main. A big divider right now along Vine is the current OTR Kroger which will be getting redeveloped in the next ~18 months once Central Parkway Kroger opens. And, as mentioned above more is happening around Findlay Market than ever before (all the Model Group projects as well as the Film Center apartment rehab)... it all unfortunately takes longer than we would like.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5011 on: December 27, 2017, 12:08:13 PM »
There are 2 new houses under construction on Pleasant St. north of Liberty St. as well as numerous other projects in that area, off the main streets.  There is also a significant amount of activity on E. Clifton for the first time, plus renovations on Vine between McMicken and Clifton and renovations at the bottom of W. Clifton. 

As mentioned, the Model projects near Findlay Market are quite substantial.  All three corners of Race & Findlay are being renovated, plus another large Model project a block south of Our Daily Bread. 

Oddly the only significant stretch with no construction activity is Vine between Liberty and Schwartz's Point. 

Offline neilworms

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #5012 on: December 27, 2017, 12:26:41 PM »
I do think progress has slowed down a bit as a whole, but things are still marching forward.

I was able to work remotely from a cafe (Deeper Roots) across from Findlay Market next to a proper upscale urban market - EMC (which I highly recommend anyone in the basin hop on a streetcar and check out).  That area very recently was still a no-mans land of mostly abandoned tenement buildings besides the market.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5013 on: December 27, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »
As others have said, there are several huge projects happening right now, including Empower, Streitmann, and Market Square. And also Broadway Square if you want to include what's happening in Pendleton.

I think part of the perceived slowdown is due to the fact that 3CDC got involved with projects in the CBD, like 4th & Race, Encore, and the new Kroger tower, which means they have less time to devote to a major project in OTR. However, once the new Kroger tower is open, they will be redeveloping the former OTR Kroger block, which will be another huge project and will should include two iconic buildings, Wielert's and Meiner's Flats.

Main Street is doing really well. The new Ziegler Park didn't open until late in 2017, so 2018 will be the year we truly see its impact. UrbanSites has managed to fill a lot of the vacant storefronts with new stuff, like the furniture store in the former Park+Vine/Kaldi's space, Aladin's Eatery, Rosedale, the Royal, the Pony, the Takeaway, etc. Woodward Theater is getting a new marquee. By next spring we will have a repaved street, new sidewalks, and several new crosswalks, which I think will have a big impact on improving the feel of the street.

What is a bit interesting/odd is the way that development has mostly jumped over the "middle" part of OTR. North of 15th and south of Elder, there's not a lot happening, but then jump north of Elder and you have several huge projects including Market Square, Film Center, Leader Furniture redevelopment, and Rhinegeist. The lack of projects in this area is partially due the the fact that there are several large lots along Liberty and developers tend to come along with very big proposals like Liberty/Elm and Grammer's Place, none of which have gotten off of the ground. I also think that Green Street is a bit of a rough spot in its current state. After years of living in OTR and walking around every part of the neighborhood, Green Street is the only place I get harassed and have people ask me what I'm doing in their neighborhood, tell me to watch my back, etc.

I think the community should start having a discussion now about what it wants to happen with public assets in the northern part of the neighborhood, including Findlay Playground, the current OTR Community Center building, and Findlay Market's parking lots. At some point there is going to be a need for more parking in that part of the neighborhood in order to support new development. Will Findlay Market need more space for vendors as the population up there grows? It would be great if we could create a master plan for what that area will look like. Do we put an underground garage below Findlay Playground? Can we put it under the Findlay Market parking lots and put an additional market house on top? Can the OTR either get a new Community Center or a renovation of the current one in this plan?

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5014 on: December 27, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
^Yeah, Findlay Playground is an obvious spot where a new underground garage could be built.  I think Republic should be restored and new affordable apartments built between there and Vine.  Only the center of the block should remain a playground.  Get rid of the baseball diamond, which nobody uses (there are 9 in the West End) and replace it with two basketball courts, maybe a tennis court or two, and then a kids' area. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5015 on: December 27, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »
Get rid of the baseball diamond

Get ready for a group called "Save Our Diamond" to pop up.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5016 on: December 27, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
I wouldn't put a ton of stock into the latest HCB packets as those have been between Thanksgiving thru the Holidays in which the business world in general slows down significantly, hopefully after the new year we see more proposals in those.

Also there have been some big projects either open recently or are close such as the new Empower HQ, 15th/Vine Office building, Strietman Biscuit office conversion which all have considerable square feet associated with them. Not to mention in the late summer/fall Ziegler Park reopened which will help things along Main. A big divider right now along Vine is the current OTR Kroger which will be getting redeveloped in the next ~18 months once Central Parkway Kroger opens. And, as mentioned above more is happening around Findlay Market than ever before (all the Model Group projects as well as the Film Center apartment rehab)... it all unfortunately takes longer than we would like.

Also, several mid-sized 3CDC projects are underway:
https://www.3cdc.org/projects/

The 1500 block of Race now looks fantastic, with little still left to do to complete a full turnaround of the block. 

Again, if Liberty had been narrowed in the past 2-3 years and several projects were going up right now on those prominent street corners, people would perceive that much more is going on.  Much of what is going on right now is on side streets. 

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5017 on: December 28, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »
A lot of work has surprisingly sprung up around Vine and Clifton/McMicken. Also, the stretch of apartments along W. Clifton at the Ohio Street Steps is undergoing renovations as affordable housing. Things are marching along pretty smoothly. I think we may see a slight slow down because of the few projects that received state historic tax credits last year, but it'll pick back up.

Online Ucgrad2015

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5018 on: January 05, 2018, 07:32:58 AM »
Is there any new information on the Steiner project across from OTR on Race? I know it was approved but have not heard anything on a start date.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5019 on: January 05, 2018, 06:34:08 PM »

Offline edale

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #5020 on: January 05, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »
^ oh come on, you know he meant Washington Park.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5021 on: January 05, 2018, 07:22:41 PM »
^ oh come on, you know he meant Washington Park.
I honestly didn't know what s/he was talking about. I had forgotten that Steiner was the developer of the the big infill project on Race St facing Washington Park. Thanks for clarifying.

Online Ucgrad2015

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5022 on: January 05, 2018, 08:36:20 PM »
Yes haha sorry about that.

Offline jim uber

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #5023 on: January 08, 2018, 04:39:09 PM »
OTR Foundation sponsoring infill design competition with a $5,000 first prize.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5024 on: January 09, 2018, 05:52:18 PM »
Since that image contains a URL (but the URL isn't clickable), here are the links:
Registration form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdiTmo6A8vVSnXPIqDNwyw7fjBaOC_wZ_BONlMAiAUS8qq9Vw/viewform
Competition brief: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ony3y4cmapo9fi/OTRF.Competition.Brief.1.8.17.pdf?dl=0

Offline troeros

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5025 on: January 13, 2018, 02:28:54 AM »
So is this design competition meant to be conceptual or will it be actualized and constructed in otr on some empty lot?

Offline Jimmy Skinner

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5026 on: January 13, 2018, 09:21:43 AM »
It must be conceptual, because I have a client that already had me do a drawing for that site and it looks like his project will be going forward. 

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5027 on: January 13, 2018, 10:08:05 AM »
^Any details you can share? Corner infill is super important so it's interesting to hear about.

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #5028 on: January 13, 2018, 10:14:46 AM »
Heads up.

3CDC demolished the Short Market this morning (NW corner of Sycamore and Liberty). Not yet a 3CDC project but they bought the lot last year.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5029 on: January 13, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
Seems like a perfect opportunity to start infilling Liberty after the road diet.

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5030 on: January 13, 2018, 11:22:00 AM »
So the road diet is happening? Is there any idea of when?

Offline ucgrady

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5031 on: January 15, 2018, 10:02:58 AM »
This project is on the north side of liberty, so it could move forward before/without the road diet as that only affects the parcels on the south side.

Is 1613 sycamore on the chopping block as well to open up that whole large lot, or is this just th corner?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:05:40 AM by ucgrady »

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5032 on: January 15, 2018, 10:21:41 AM »
1613 is owned by someone else. The vacant lots just north of 1613 are all owned by the same company "WDC LLC". OTR Holdings owns the former Short Stop Market up to the lot adjacent to 1613.

Those parcels are big enough to develop individually, though. They don't need to be grouped together.

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #5033 on: January 15, 2018, 12:40:03 PM »
Some really interesting projects in the newest packet, especially the last one on the packet and also the houses on Vine:

https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/buildings/historic-conservation/historic-conservation-board/january-8-2018-staff-report-and-attachments/

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5034 on: January 15, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »
^Yeah, look like a new bar might be coming to the anonymous building north of Rhinegeist. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5035 on: January 15, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »
^Yeah, look like a new bar might be coming to the anonymous building north of Rhinegeist. 

The packet says it's "Mikey's Late Night Slice and Oddfellows Liquor Bar"

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5036 on: January 15, 2018, 01:52:11 PM »
Mikey's is a Columbus chain I think that, obviously, serves late night pizza. Their large assortment of condiments (ranch, thousand island, etc) is what they are known for.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5037 on: January 15, 2018, 01:52:49 PM »
Soon, you'll be able to grab a late night slice at Goodfella's, have a few drinks at Longfellow and Rhinehaus, then take the streetcar up to the Brewery District and have another late night slice at Mikey's Late Night Slice followed by more drinks at Oddfellows and Rhinegeist.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5038 on: January 15, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »
Some really interesting projects in the newest packet, especially the last one on the packet and also the houses on Vine:

https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/buildings/historic-conservation/historic-conservation-board/january-8-2018-staff-report-and-attachments/

1921/23 are two of those 4 buildings that are all two stories and angled against the street. Glad to see someone investing in such peculiar buildings, and I hope the others follow.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1921+Vine+St,+Cincinnati,+OH+45202/@39.1179246,-84.5172623,3a,90y,235.4h,84.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEi5VMwx-0G8Vi7mxNR0Qbg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x8841b3f98c8d1f59:0x968b71419f9ec5b0!8m2!3d39.1178563!4d-84.5173847

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #5039 on: January 15, 2018, 02:47:08 PM »

The packet says it's "Mikey's Late Night Slice and Oddfellows Liquor Bar"

It looks like they have a lot of work to do though to get there yet, with parking being the main issue.  I bet the city and 3CDC is already working on pre-liminary scouting plans for a large parking garage in this area of OTR to accomodate all the rehabilitation.  What do you all think would work best?  I always thought where the market lot is now, but how would they work that without severely interrupting the markets schedule?  Maybe first make a new ramp and re-do of Findlay Playground, then further along in the next 3-5 years make a ramp in the current Findlay parking lots