PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: The World of Entertainment!  (Read 2693 times)

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: The World of Entertainment!
« Reply #600 on: October 10, 2017, 09:18:24 PM »
I am shocked that there are sleazeballs in Hollywood!!

Totally.  Can you imagine the likes of the folks hanging around the guy?

I know!

Someone commented that Hillary has gotten money from two accused harassers;  Weinstein and Trump.

The Democrats have been ostentatiously donating Weinstein donations to EMILY's list.   Which considering the latter's donee breakdown is a form of money laundering.  Why not organizations that help victims?

Offline AJ93

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #601 on: October 11, 2017, 07:15:58 AM »
In all seriousness though, there are a lot of sleazy men out there.  This is all really highlighting what women talk about when they use the term rape culture.

One kind of bizarre but I suppose predictable thing I saw on Twitter was the reaction when some guys pointed out that there are also male victims of (male initiated) sexual harassment and even assault in an around the movie industry.   Some of the more strident feminists were all "how dare you bring up something completely different in this context!!?"    Really?  To be fair, others agreed with those making this point.

It should go without saying because ultimately this is about power and dominance, not sex.  I wouldn't be surprised if Weinstein himself is accused and would be less surprised if the accusations were accurate.

In a way it's a little worse.   While I think some of the redefinition of "sexual harassment" that happened in the wake of the Anita Hill allegations is petty and pureile, I would concede that in a way it helped get us to the point where female victims of harrassment and assault are usually no long blamed (except perhaps by Donna Karan).   That isn't true for men who come forward, not yet.

Terry Crews just spoke up about his experience

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/917838446697226240

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #602 on: October 11, 2017, 07:29:21 AM »
In all seriousness though, there are a lot of sleazy men out there.  This is all really highlighting what women talk about when they use the term rape culture.

One kind of bizarre but I suppose predictable thing I saw on Twitter was the reaction when some guys pointed out that there are also male victims of (male initiated) sexual harassment and even assault in an around the movie industry.   Some of the more strident feminists were all "how dare you bring up something completely different in this context!!?"    Really?  To be fair, others agreed with those making this point.

It should go without saying because ultimately this is about power and dominance, not sex.  I wouldn't be surprised if Weinstein himself is accused and would be less surprised if the accusations were accurate.

In a way it's a little worse.   While I think some of the redefinition of "sexual harassment" that happened in the wake of the Anita Hill allegations is petty and pureile, I would concede that in a way it helped get us to the point where female victims of harrassment and assault are usually no long blamed (except perhaps by Donna Karan).   That isn't true for men who come forward, not yet.

Terry Crews just spoke up about his experience

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/917838446697226240

Highly ironic, considering the name of the company where "Office Linebacker" was set.  Edit - whoops thought Crews played Terry Tate.

Seriously, there's more irony in that an "alpha" male is more likely to be believed.   We're probably less likely to be targetted too.   Though not necessarily.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:45:18 AM by E Rocc »

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #603 on: October 11, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »
The Democrats have been ostentatiously donating Weinstein donations to EMILY's list.   Which considering the latter's donee breakdown is a form of money laundering.  Why not organizations that help victims?[/color]

Looks like the DNC is donating $30K to EMILY's List, but every individual elected democrat I saw from a quick google search (accounting for much more money) is donating it elsewhere, including to violence survivor services:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/which-politicians-have-received-donations-from-harvey-weinstein/
Sen. Martin Heinrich, D-New Mexico, received funds from Weinstein most recently, in April. His campaign has pledged to donate Weinstein's $5,400 contribution to Community against Violence, a nonprofit group in his state.
Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Massachusetts, received $5,000 from Weinstein in 2012, and plans to donate that money to Casa Myrna, a nonprofit group in Massachusetts.
Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vermont, received $5,100 from Weinstein between 2010 and 2016, and plans to donate the contributions to the Women's Fund at the Vermont Community Foundation.
Weinstein donated $7,800 to Sen. Cory Booker, D-New Jersey, during the 2014 election, and Booker plans to donate it to the
New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-New York, will donate all $14,200 he received from Weinstein to several charities supporting women.
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-New York has received more than $10,000 from Weinstein through the years, and plans to donate the funds to RAAIN.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/10/10/dccc-to-donate-all-harvey-weinstein-donations-to-womens-group/?utm_term=.79c5368bf1c1
“The DCCC has already cut the check to donate all old Harvey Weinstein money to Futures Without Violence,” DCCC spokeswoman Meredith Kelly said in a statement Tuesday night.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/10/gov-mcauliffe-to-donate-weinsteins-campaign-contri/
Gov. Terry McAuliffe says he will donate funds given to his campaign by disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein to a nonprofit that aids victims of sexual and domestic violence.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rhode-island/articles/2017-10-10/sen-whitehouse-to-donate-weinsteins-campaign-contribution
U.S. Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse is donating a campaign contribution from disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein to a nonprofit in Providence that aides victims of sexual abuse.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:14:54 AM by StrapHanger »

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #604 on: October 11, 2017, 09:16:15 AM »
When are Republicans gonna do the same thing with all of the money from white supremacist, Mercer?

Asking for a friend.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:16:34 AM by down4cle »

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #605 on: October 31, 2017, 03:18:03 AM »
When are Republicans gonna do the same thing with all of the money from white supremacist, Mercer?

Asking for a friend.

Fight brewing between Bannon/Mercers and anti-Trump conservative Paul Singer.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #606 on: October 31, 2017, 10:35:21 AM »
I'm so out of it that I hadn't even heard of this Harvey Weinstein character until this scandal broke.  Like I really, really don't care about movies. 

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #607 on: October 31, 2017, 12:36:20 PM »
The movie business is finally really feeling the effects of YouTube etc. When you had to go to the movies if you wanted screen entertainment it was one thing, but for example last night instead of watching acting all night like people did up through the mid-2000s I watched a guy change a transmission pan gasket on a '79 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais via YouTube.

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #608 on: October 31, 2017, 10:37:08 PM »
The movie business is finally really feeling the effects of YouTube etc. When you had to go to the movies if you wanted screen entertainment it was one thing, but for example last night instead of watching acting all night like people did up through the mid-2000s I watched a guy change a transmission pan gasket on a '79 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais via YouTube.

It won't really be feeling it until blockbusters start debuting on a streaming/download basis simultaneously with in-theaters.  It will be the last to fall in this regard and will likely fall the hardest.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #609 on: November 01, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »

I watched about 60 minutes of "big cat rescue" footage after first looking up how to assemble chain link fences.  The fence they built around this place in Florida was pretty damn impressive.  You need 15 feet plus some overhang to keep lions and tigers contained. 

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #610 on: November 22, 2017, 01:32:56 PM »
celebrity deaths keep piling up (for the sake of good taste I will not include Cincinnati native Charles Manson, although he was noted also as a singer/songwriter of some talent)--

multi-faceted, multi-talented Della Reese, 86

70's pop star David Cassidy (the original Justin Bieber) of dementia, 67

Russian opera star Dmitri Hvorostovsky, 56, of brain tumor

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #611 on: November 22, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
The music was mostly forgettable, but man, I loved watching the Partridge family. Like Davy Jones, guys like David Cassidy you figured would never age. Until they did.

Also lost Malcolm YOung from AC/DC. My entire third grade class went crazy over that Back in Black tape.

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #612 on: November 22, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »
The music was mostly forgettable, but man, I loved watching the Partridge family. Like Davy Jones, guys like David Cassidy you figured would never age. Until they did.

Also lost Malcolm YOung from AC/DC. My entire third grade class went crazy over that Back in Black tape.

I was lucky enough to see them with Bon Scott singing.  Incredible.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #613 on: November 22, 2017, 02:17:04 PM »
I had the "Big Gun" single on tape.  For unknown reasons that one isn't part of the classic rock station pantheon.  I've only heard it in public about 4 times since 1992 or whenever it came out.  Once was before the main event at an amateur boxing match at the Knoxville Golden Gloves Arena:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9983907,-83.8810092,3a,75y,19.41h,94.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shZ5fjVvulpGaJlHMZCSJgQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #614 on: November 22, 2017, 02:43:28 PM »
i really think the inevitable alzheimers in his family was directly related to david cassidy’s alcohol problems.

really sad.

anyway, my spouse is inconsolable lol.

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #615 on: November 24, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »

Offline MGM

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #616 on: November 24, 2017, 10:00:49 PM »

I was lucky enough to see them with Bon Scott singing.  Incredible.