PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Hocking Hills State Park / Hocking County: Developments and News  (Read 249 times)

Offline gold42

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
My fiance and I took our first trip to the Hocking Hills today and checked out a bunch of the areas contained therein.  I must say I was absolutely amazed at how cool this place was.   :clap: I enjoyed everything I saw there so much that I can't decide what my favorite part was.  So, I'm curious to see what all of your opinions are... tell me what your favorite area is!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:26:35 PM by Columbo »

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
Re: Logan / Hocking Hills State Park: Developments and News
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 09:14:10 PM »
The most interesting is Conkle's Hollow (that secluded waterfall area is amazing).  Though I still am a sucker for Old Man's Cave.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline atlas

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 09:31:01 PM »
last time i was there, i fell right in devils bathtub (close to old mans cave.)  if anyones familiar with the tub, you know how impossible it was for me to get out lol. 

Offline OompaLoompa

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 04:13:44 PM »
We used to rent a cabin at Hocking Hills every summer when I was a kid.  We crammed 2 parents and 6 kids into one of those 2 bedroom cabins!  And we all piled into a station wagon to get there.  We were so broke...but we loved it.  I remember swimming in the Devil's Bathtub, it was awesome, but don't do it when the rangers are around...

Offline marlowe

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 06:27:42 PM »
http://www.glenlaurel.com/home/

If you like a little luxury while "roughing it," it doesn't get much better. Completely worth the drive.

Offline noozer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 08:06:56 AM »
Levee proposal opposed
Mining plan raises fears of Hocking River floods
Monday,  July 2, 2007 3:26 AM
By Mary Beth Lane
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Hundreds of people who live in the Hocking Hills or visit the popular region have signed petitions against expansion of gravel mining along the Hocking River.  They are fighting a plan by Mar-Zane Materials Inc. to extend its gravel-mining operation near the little community of Enterprise from 4 acres to 183.5 acres.

Now, the disclosure that the company plans to build a mile-long earthen levee along the river is prompting fresh outrage and predictions that it will worsen flooding in a flood-prone area.  The dike is proposed in a revised application for an amended mining permit that the company submitted to the state in May.

Read more at http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/local_news/stories/2007/07/02/nomine.ART_ART_07-02-07_B1_U376AE2.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:31:04 PM by ColDayMan »

Offline Eigth and State

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »

"I appeal to any white man to say, if ever he entered Logan's cabin hungry, and he gave him not meat; if ever he came cold and naked, and he clothed him not.

During the course of the last long and bloody war, Logan remained idle in his cabin, an advocate for peace. Such was my love for the whites, that my countrymen pointed as they passed, and said, Logan is the friend of the white men.

I have even thought to live with you but for the injuries of one man. Col. Cresap, the last spring, in cold blood, and unprovoked, murdered all the relations of Logan, not sparing even my women and children. There runs not a drop of my blood in the veins of any living creature. This has called on me for revenge. I have sought it: I have killed many: I have fully glutted my vengeance.

For my country, I rejoice at the beams of peace. But do not harbour a thought that mine is the joy of fear. Logan never felt fear. He will not turn on his heel to save his life. Who is there to mourn for Logan? Not one."

Offline buildingcincinnati

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:17:52 PM »
Hooray for Hocking County!!!

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 11:37:26 PM »

"I appeal to any white man to say, if ever he entered Logan's cabin hungry, and he gave him not meat; if ever he came cold and naked, and he clothed him not.

During the course of the last long and bloody war, Logan remained idle in his cabin, an advocate for peace. Such was my love for the whites, that my countrymen pointed as they passed, and said, Logan is the friend of the white men.

Lots of my friends are direct decedents of Chief Logan and carry this same attitude 200 years later. There are many, many American Indians in the Columbus/Chillicothe/Zanesville triangle. Actually, a lot of them are "Synthetic Mexicans" in that they are a combination of Spaniards and American Indians. This is a cultural phenomenon unique to the area.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »
Slow process of revitalizing Logan's historic downtown finally bearing fruit for Hocking Hills community
Sunday,  April 25, 2010 - 2:56 AM
By Mary Beth Lane
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

LOGAN, Ohio - A recently established nonprofit group plans to start raising money to buy and restore the historic Logan Theater building downtown.  Volunteers with Logan in Bloom, the annual gardening display and competition, are poised to plant flowers in more than 100 pots and hanging baskets lining the Main Street business district next month.  And Logan residents are awaiting word on whether their downtown historic district will be placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

As with Lancaster in Fairfield County, Marysville in Union County and other smaller cities in rural areas trying to preserve and revive their historic downtowns, recent revitalization efforts in this community in the Hocking Hills have been an incremental and uneven trudge forward.

Full article: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/04/25/logan-anew.html?sid=101
#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »
The Hocking College Energy Institute was one of the award winners at last week's Columbus Chapter of the American Institute of Architects 2011 Design Awards.  The 12,200 square-foot renewable energy & fuel cell technology classroom building was completed in 2009.  It is the new flagship building for Hocking College’s Advanced Energy & Vehicle Hybrid Technology Program, which includes curriculum spaces for vehicular hybrid, fuel cell and photovoltaic cells technologies.

Sustainable features include 21 kW of building-integrated PV, vegetated roof, solar thermal system, passive solar design and daylight harvesting that reduces annual energy costs by 50%.  The Hocking College Energy Institute became the first higher education building in Ohio to achieve LEED-Platinum status.

MORE AT COLUMBUS UNDERGROUND:  http://www.columbusunderground.com/aia-columbus-announces-winners-of-2011-design-awards

MORE PHOTOS AND PROJECT INFO AT DESIGN GROUP:  http://designgroup.us.com/work/education/energy-institute
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:16:03 PM by Columbo »

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »
Hocking Hills State Park to get renovated cabins, other upgrades
By Mary Beth Lane, The Columbus Dispatch   
Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 4:41 AM

LOGAN, Ohio — A complete renovation of the 40 cabins at Hocking Hills State Park is among the improvements planned there over the next two years.

Ohio Department of Natural Resources Director James Zehringer announced plans yesterday to spend about $8.3 million on capital improvements at the popular park, which draws more than 1 million visitors annually.  Besides the cabin renovations, the improvements will include:
  • Adding more full-service hookup campsites to accommodate larger recreational vehicles.
  • Installing new playground equipment at the campground.
  • Upgrading the restrooms at the Old Man’s Cave welcome center and at Ash Cave.
  • Replacing the dining-lodge roof, improving the exterior and renovating the outdoor pool near the dining lodge.
  • Adding trail signs.
  • Posting interpretative signs to tell the story of the geology, cultural history and wildlife of Hocking Hills State Park.

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/10/22/Hocking-Hills-upgrades-announced.html

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
Hocking Hills State Park getting upgrades of cabins, campgrounds
Monday, February 1, 2016 - 6:07 AM

LOGAN, Ohio — Workers at Hocking Hills State Park are stopping short of adding hot tubs, but they are renovating cabins built in 1972 to meet 21st century expectations.  Dark paneling is being stripped for freshly painted walls, and old flooring is being ripped up, to be replaced by ceramic tile and carpeting.  Flat-screen televisions and new furnishings are being added, including Adirondack chairs and picture frames made by state carpenters using native hardwoods.  Insulation, updated heating and cooling systems and new windows also are being added to the 40 cabins.

The work is part of $8.3 million in capital improvements that the Ohio Department of Natural Resources is making at the popular park, which draws more than 1 million visitors annually.
( . . . )
In addition to renovating the two-bedroom cottages tucked among the woods at Hocking Hills State Park, workers are upgrading 46 campsites with full-service hookups — including electricity, water and sewer service — to accommodate larger recreational vehicles. ... Workers also are preparing to replace the Hocking Hills dining lodge's leaking cedar-shake roof with one made of a polymer composite material.  The new roof will resemble the cedar-shake roof but should last about 50 years.

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/02/01/hocking-hills-state-park-getting-upgrades-of-cabins-campgrounds.html

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »
^Good news. I am glad to see the state addressing deferred maintenance in the state park system.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
Residents OK fee to rebuild Hide-A-Way Hills dam
Monday, May 2, 2016 - 6:26 AM

SUGAR GROVE, Ohio — Work to rebuild the dam at the private resort community Hide-A-Way Hills is expected to begin this month after residents approved an assessment of $3,950 per household to pay for it.

Eighty-five percent of voters in the gated community straddling Fairfield and Hocking counties approved the fee in April.  That shows how eager most residents are to reclaim full use of their 100-acre Lake of the Four Seasons — expected next year — once the dam is rebuilt and secured.

Rebuilding Hide-A-Way Hills’ 1,100-foot earthen dam coincides with the project to rebuild the 4.1-mile Buckeye Lake dam but is far simpler, less costly and privately funded.  The Hide-A-Way Hills dam was built when the rustic community was developed in the 1960s.

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/05/02/residents-ok-paying-to-rebuild-hide-a-way-hills-dam.html
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:20:32 PM by Columbo »

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 01:05:14 PM »
Supporters raising money for John Glenn Astronomy Park in one of Ohio's last dark spots

Construction starts this spring on an observatory in Hocking Hills State Park named for the late astronaut and U.S. Sen. John Glenn, as organizers keep raising the second half of a $1.6 million goal.

John Glenn Astronomy Park will feature an enclosed 540-square-foot observatory with a retractable roof, with one large and several smaller telescopes. For daytime visitors, there'll be a Solar Plaza 18 feet across, encircled by a wall with notches that will frame the sun's movement on key days like a solstice or equinox.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/12/29/supporters-raising-money-for-john-glenn-astronomy.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Hocking Hills State Park / Hocking County: Developments and News
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 08:28:43 PM »

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
Re: Hocking Hills State Park / Hocking County: Developments and News
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 11:35:26 PM »
It's about time.