Author Topic: Cleveland/Lakewood: The Edge Developments  (Read 43965 times)

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Re: Cleveland/Lakewood: The Edge Developments
« Reply #1560 on: May 22, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
Does anyone know if anything is planned for the last remaining retail spot in the new building next to Lucky's? When the project first started I had heard that a sushi place would go there, but there's been no sign of anything going in that space.

Does Lucky's offer sushi in their prepared foods section?   If not a sushi place would be a great fit there.

Yes, they do, and it's actually pretty good sushi too.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1561 on: May 22, 2018, 12:21:27 PM »
Does anyone know if anything is planned for the last remaining retail spot in the new building next to Lucky's? When the project first started I had heard that a sushi place would go there, but there's been no sign of anything going in that space.

Does Lucky's offer sushi in their prepared foods section?   If not a sushi place would be a great fit there.

That may have killed the sushi shop owner's biz plan.  Something else fast-quasi healthy would be great like a Pita Pit.

Offline ML11

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1562 on: May 22, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
Lucky's was packed last night around 7pm.  Despite the crowd and it being 1 week old, I thought the operation was really smooth, and as long as they keep the prices reasonable, that'll be my new default grocery store.

While I selfishly would love a Cava (mediterranean fast-casual that's rapidly expanding from the D.C. area), I'm not sure if the parking lot can sustain Lucky's, Chipotle and another restaurant around rush hour / dinner time. 

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1563 on: May 22, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »

That may have killed the sushi shop owner's biz plan.  Something else fast-quasi healthy would be great like a Pita Pit.

There's already Liquid Planet though. Maybe the area could support both?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1564 on: May 22, 2018, 03:42:07 PM »

Fusian was the first to commit to the Shoppes on Clifton, but it has been experiencing some financial problems in the past year. It closed two restaurants in Columbus and another in Cincinnati. It had nothing to do with this site or market.

Lucky's was packed last night around 7pm.  Despite the crowd and it being 1 week old, I thought the operation was really smooth, and as long as they keep the prices reasonable, that'll be my new default grocery store.

While I selfishly would love a Cava (mediterranean fast-casual that's rapidly expanding from the D.C. area), I'm not sure if the parking lot can sustain Lucky's, Chipotle and another restaurant around rush hour / dinner time. 

I've noticed people parking in the CVS across West 117th or over by Starbucks across Clifton. Traffic is pretty bad during rush hours, especially with Lake Road getting resurfaced and there's a short section of water line getting replaced on West 117th next to the Chipotle. In fact, Chipotle was closed due to no water on Sunday afternoon.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline skorasaurus

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1565 on: May 22, 2018, 03:51:25 PM »

There is Pulp which is just across the street (south side of Clifton) where the Starbucks used to be https://www.yelp.com/biz/pulp-juice-and-smoothie-bar-cleveland-2

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1566 on: May 22, 2018, 04:20:40 PM »
I've noticed people parking in the CVS across West 117th or over by Starbucks across Clifton. Traffic is pretty bad during rush hours, especially with Lake Road getting resurfaced and there's a short section of water line getting replaced on West 117th next to the Chipotle. In fact, Chipotle was closed due to no water on Sunday afternoon.

I've noticed an overall huge upswing in pedestrian traffic on the corner.   Someone is going to get hurt the way the cars fly through there. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1567 on: May 22, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »

I've noticed an overall huge upswing in pedestrian traffic on the corner.   Someone is going to get hurt the way the cars fly through there. 

I'm more worried about the crosswalks where there are no signals. But yes, I've nearly been hit as a pedestrian a few times at West 117th/Clifton. At least there's no turn on red, but there does need to be a left turn arrow on West 117th northbound. I avoid that turn at rush hour as it can take several light cycles to get through there.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1568 on: May 31, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
Pouring concrete for the outdoor dining patio for the new Clifton Diner at Clifton and Hird in Lakewood. I spoke to the owner a week ago who said he hopes to open around July 1st.

This former National City/PNC bank on Clifton at West 115th in Cleveland is rumored to be a new medical office but a for-lease sign still stands in front of it. However the bank drive-through infrastructure was being removed this morning.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1569 on: May 31, 2018, 10:33:36 AM »
I was wondering if the Clifton Diner project had stalled. It looks like it's moving along.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1570 on: May 31, 2018, 12:10:46 PM »
I was wondering if the Clifton Diner project had stalled. It looks like it's moving along.

I wonder if any of the former staff will be at the new location? I know one longtime waitress recently passed away.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1571 on: June 01, 2018, 11:23:16 AM »
Want an excuse to check out the recent developments in the neighborhood? Here ya go.....

30TH ANNUAL CLIFTON ARTS & MUSICFEST
If your calendar is not already marked, do it now!   The 30th Annual Clifton Arts & Musicfest explodes on Clifton Boulevard on Saturday, June 16th from 10 - 6 PM with fine art, crafts, children's activities, food, shopping, live music, socializing and so much more.   And its all FREE FAMILY FUN.

Worried about parking?   Don't be.  We got you covered.  Park at the school building lot (former Cudell offices) at West 116th and Franklin and ride Lolly the Trolley down West 117 to the event on Clifton.   Its FREE and lot will be attended.  Lolly will run from 11 am - 4 pm on Saturday, June 16th. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1572 on: June 27, 2018, 12:25:50 PM »
Views of the corner of West 117th and Clifton from a passing bus -- June 2017. They built the Clifton Shoppes very quickly!

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1573 on: July 10, 2018, 06:00:32 PM »
Brickhaus development going vertical at West 117th and Lake Avenue in Cleveland, where the grand Fifth Church stood.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1574 on: July 14, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »
A few more pics of the Brickhaus townhomes development during our after-dinner stroll this evening....

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:10:06 PM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1575 on: August 11, 2018, 08:40:31 PM »
Update from today. Note the last picture, that Verizon will be taking the last available retail space at Clifton Shoppes. They will compete with Sprint which now occupies the former PNC bank at Clifton/W115th....

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:13:37 PM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1576 on: August 11, 2018, 08:43:17 PM »
Oh, by the way, the new Clifton Diner is scheduled to reopen this Wednesday, Aug. 15...

The photo above from was from a couple of weeks ago. These three photos are from today....

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:13:24 PM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1577 on: August 12, 2018, 12:29:54 PM »
Was talking to Mike Sapell, owner of Sapell's grocery store on West 117th today about the neighborhood. A few highlights....

> His business dipped a little bit after Lucky's opened but said it's coming back.
> Said he gets offers every couple of days for his 2-acre property (a large parcel for Lakewood with a big empty parking lot out back) but says he has to pay his kids' college tuition bills so he's not selling anytime soon.
> When he learned Clifton Diner (aka Dinerbar on Clifton) is opening Wednesday, he said he expects Huntington Bank to move out as they are already parking constrained.
> He said Huntington won't move to the Cleveland side of West 117th because Cleveland police response times to that area are too slow. He said the frequency of bank robberies and the slow response to them are why PNC and Citizens Bank closed their branches there. The banks wanted to stay because of the neighborhood's population density.
> If the property owners on the Cleveland side of Clifton want more security, they could do what Kamm's Corners or Ohio City did and vote in a property assessment to pay an off-duty cop to walk/bike the beat. Sapell had mix reactions to that. "That's why I'm in Lakewood. The police come in 30 seconds, not 30 minutes."
> I wouldn't be surprised to see the house just south of the parking lot of the commercial building at Clifton/Hird get bought and demolished for more parking. Huntington doesn't want to move.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1578 on: August 12, 2018, 12:51:11 PM »
^ thanks for the insights. Though I would think that if he needed tuition money for the kids he would want to sell.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1579 on: August 12, 2018, 02:23:17 PM »
^ thanks for the insights. Though I would think that if he needed tuition money for the kids he would want to sell.

Depends on the offer. He said one of the offers was from Goodwill. When I told him Steve Barry Buick got roughly $3 million, he said that's probably what he should have gotten.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1580 on: August 13, 2018, 02:47:53 PM »
So the official opening is Friday but the soft opening is Wednesday. Hopefully it won't be ruined by another flood of dirtbikes from the east-side cesspool....

BTW, I didn't know that the neighborhood has a twitter account. What they need is to hire some extra security...
https://twitter.com/WestEdgeCLE

Celebrate the Grand Opening of  The Dinerbar On Clifton this Friday 6pm-9pm during the August G2H2...

Event info at https://www.facebook.com/events/1304534313011170/

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1581 on: August 15, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »
DinerBar (aka Clifton Diner) is ready to open at 11801 Clifton August 15 at 7:00am. Now in Lakewood instead of just outside of Lakewood many will remember it as a favorite for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It now features more seating inside and out, a nice patio and a full service bar.

http://lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24885

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1582 on: August 15, 2018, 08:06:55 PM »
My family and I went to the soft opening of The Dinerbar On Clifton this evening for dinner. It was very busy for a soft opening of non-invitees. We were the first people to sit outside and, when the inside filled up, more people joined us outside until there was only one open table left. The food was good but the service was understandably slow, with a few mistakes here and there. The menu is much more diverse than when it was the Clifton Diner pre-2016. But they kept a few momentos from the old place, including its old sign inside and a poster of the diner's facade, where the Landmark Restaurant is now (they continue to be busy despite the growing competition). After dinner I went to the store and took a few photos of the Edge.....

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1583 on: Yesterday at 10:52:26 AM »
Update...the neighborhood missed Clifton Diner...nka The Dinerbar On Clifton. Every table was full except one when we arrived at 9 a.m. today. There was a line out the door when we left. People were parking all the way down Hird Avenue and in the back of Sapell's lot then walking over.