PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland/Lakewood: The Edge Developments  (Read 14732 times)

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Cleveland/Lakewood: The Edge Developments
« Reply #1470 on: August 03, 2017, 03:19:49 PM »
The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.... The roof is already getting built on the westernmost building at Clifton Shoppes on Clifton at West 117th.

"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1471 on: August 03, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
That's going up quick.

Offline ethlaw

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1472 on: August 03, 2017, 03:40:28 PM »
Does anyone know the tenants that will be occupying the building currently being built? I've heard so much about Lucky's but not much about any of the other potential shops.

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1473 on: August 03, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »
Anita Brindza, with the nonprofit Cudell Improvement, Inc., confirmed Chipotle Mexican Grill and Fusian, a Dayton-area sushi restaurant, have also signed on to the project.

http://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/oh-cuyahoga/new-stores-groundbreaking-set-for-shoppes-on-clifton

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1474 on: August 03, 2017, 05:07:58 PM »
That's going up quick.

No kidding...they don't build them like they used to.  I would guess this structure won't be standing 80-90 years from now like the one across the street that was just renovated for Starbucks/Twist, etc

Offline DeanSheen

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #1475 on: August 07, 2017, 09:13:59 AM »
Not sure if this is an Edge project.

Took the Red line back from the game yesterday and noticed that land had been cleared on South Side of Detroit just East of West Blvd.  Does anyone know what that will be?

I'll be thrilled when the Clifton project is complete.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1477 on: September 06, 2017, 01:36:05 PM »
What is the following agenda item in reaction to? Cities usually don't initiate things on their own. They respond to other's initiatives. This area is near the Scott Fetzer Corporation and north of the new A Place For Us apartment complex by NRP Group. I'm also aware that NRP was interested in an old warehouse at Madison at West 1 12th Street but the building needed so much renovations for an apartment conversion that it wasn't worth it for them. But they may still be interested in this area. Does anyone know?

Ordinance No. 991-17(Ward 11/Councilmember Brady; Ward 15/Councilmember Zone): Expanding the coverage area for the West 117th Street Design Review District to include additional parcels along West 112th Street, West 114th Street, West 115th Street, and Franklin Boulevard.
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/09012017/index.php
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:51:43 AM by KJP »

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1478 on: September 06, 2017, 01:41:21 PM »
It is possible they're just being proactive. 

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1479 on: September 06, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »
The bar at the corner of W117 and Madison is still "Under Construction" with no visible activity, as nobody here is likely surprised.

What's the over-under on this building surviving?

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1480 on: September 06, 2017, 01:52:24 PM »
Owner of the building wanted to sell it to a developer to build....... a gas station. 

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1481 on: September 06, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »
Owner of the building wanted to sell it to a developer to build....... a gas station. 

Well that's been our version of transit-oriented development lol.

The surrounding developments have used that very building to adhere to the neighborhood aesthetic. Now it sure would be ironic, no, that's not the right word....typical, if they ended up tearing it down after all that.

Even the most auto-centric among us should shudder to imagine what kind of cluster* that a gas station would create at that intersection.

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1482 on: September 06, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
That's going up quick.

No kidding...they don't build them like they used to.  I would guess this structure won't be standing 80-90 years from now like the one across the street that was just renovated for Starbucks/Twist, etc

That's not entirely correct. Many building components are prefabricated, prestressed and/or preassembled before being lifted and bolted or welded. Having the components built off site and shipped to the destination saves on labor, expedites construction where timetables are short (especially right now before winter), and is far cheaper. That doesn't mean the end result is poor.

Having far more mechanical and technical equipment also allows for far faster construction techniques than before.

Remember that the buildings across the street where Starbucks/etc. is was extensively rehabilitated and was in fair to poor condition before. I mean, the facade was practically torn off and rebuilt.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1483 on: September 06, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »
It is possible they're just being proactive. 

No, it's not. I covered City Hall for Sun Newspapers for 8 years. They're too busy putting out fires at 601 Lakeside. They don't trim the old-growth forest when it grows too wild.

Offline jws

« Reply #1484 on: September 07, 2017, 09:18:42 AM »
Even the most auto-centric among us should shudder to imagine what kind of cluster* that a gas station would create at that intersection.

It's an urban overlay district with a 0 ft setback so, hopefully, that will save the intersection.

I didn't realize there was even a risk of losing the building, though.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1485 on: September 07, 2017, 10:14:44 AM »
There's a few property owners in that area who want suburban land use patterns in a setting possessing urban amenities (namely the RTA station). All of the stuff on the Lakewood site (Third Federal, Aldis, Burger King etc) and then the self-storage facility on the Cleveland side. Cudell CDC Director Anita Brindza told me a couple months ago that the owners (a Westlake couple) of the self-storage facility have received dozens of purchase offers for their property and turned them all down. Their business is a cash machine that incurs few operating costs. So unless an offer equals or exceeds their net cash flow for the next decade or two, they aren't going to sell. My hope at this point is that the urban overlay is extended south of Madison to Berea Road which could devalue their property in its current use.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1486 on: September 07, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »
What's sad is that Aldi's and the bank were built relatively recently and each could've been build up to 117th without sacrificing parking.

Offline jws

« Reply #1487 on: September 07, 2017, 10:30:44 AM »
There's a few property owners in that area who want suburban land use patterns in a setting possessing urban amenities (namely the RTA station). All of the stuff on the Lakewood site (Third Federal, Aldis, Burger King etc) and then the self-storage facility on the Cleveland side. Cudell CDC Director Anita Brindza told me a couple months ago that the owners (a Westlake couple) of the self-storage facility have received dozens of purchase offers for their property and turned them all down. Their business is a cash machine that incurs few operating costs. So unless an offer equals or exceeds their net cash flow for the next decade or two, they aren't going to sell. My hope at this point is that the urban overlay is extended south of Madison to Berea Road which could devalue their property in its current use.

I'm also hopeful that there will be more tangible results from the CDC facilitating some arrangements once they get a new staff. They are in tragic need of an injection of life considering they're now down to, like, 2.5 employees (Anita is only working part time now and Jeff Barkas left) and they refuse to seek grants.

Offline skorasaurus

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1488 on: September 07, 2017, 11:46:12 AM »
Regarding that building on 117th and Madison ( 11614 MADISON AVE ):
I also see there was a court case from it - Date Filed: October 19, 2016; Case Number: G 015114; Judge. Plaintiff. Filed by. 117 Madison, LLC. Lakewood OH 44107. Plaintiff's Attorney. Roger Dale Tiktin.; but I can't get any more information about; that may have more nuggets of information regarding the status of the property.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1489 on: September 07, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »

Changing the zoning won't alter the permeability of operating the current self storage facility. It would just become a legal non-conforming use.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1490 on: September 07, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »
^ That's what I thought too.  I wasn't able to follow KJP on that point.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1491 on: September 07, 2017, 01:49:38 PM »
Changing the zoning won't alter the permeability of operating the current self storage facility. It would just become a legal non-conforming use.

But it cannot change or expand without being rezoned or a variance granted. And I'm pretty sure it cannot rebuild in the event of a fire or natural disaster.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:50:18 PM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1492 on: September 08, 2017, 07:53:12 PM »
I forgot to post these artsy pics from my walk yesterday, plus some construction & renovation pictures from projects on Clifton Boulevard at West 117th Street. This includes the new Shoppes on Clifton (Chipotle, Lucky's grocery store and Fusian sushi), as well as the new Landmark Deli that used to be the old Clifton Diner.

Detail on the Lee Solding Building at 11633-11637 Clifton Blvd. that has Starbucks, Twist Social Club, Eddy's Barbershop, and the future Landmark Deli:

RTA stop

Foundations for Lucky's grocery store

First phase of Clifton Shoppes

Landmark Deli

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1493 on: September 09, 2017, 08:21:04 PM »
Looks like the former National City Bank/PNC Bank branch is going to be a medical office building...

11502 CLIFTON BLVD
CLEVELAND

Sales Date   8/11/2017
Amount   $400,000
Buyer   CLIFTON MEDICAL II INC
Seller   NATIONAL CITY BANK
Deed type   LIMITED WA
Land value   $168,500
Building value   $210,000
Total value   $378,500
Parcel   001-21-034
Property   Full service bank

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1494 on: September 14, 2017, 09:18:25 AM »
Rockport Townhomes update. Trying to get the last buildings under cover before Winter. It's gonna be close.....

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1495 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »
Clifton Shoppes update....

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1496 on: September 14, 2017, 09:30:34 AM »
^Looks good... I'm a bit disoriented by the photo, however.  Which corner and from what POV are we looking at?  The backs of the old buildings to the right in the background are throwing me off.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:31:09 AM by clvlndr »

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1497 on: September 14, 2017, 09:34:04 AM »
^Looks good... I'm a bit disoriented by the photo, however.  Which corner and from what POV are we looking at?  The backs of the old buildings to the right in the background are throwing me off.

That looks like from 116th and Clifton, looking NW. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1498 on: September 14, 2017, 02:26:46 PM »
Pulp Juice/Smoothie Bar coming to the old Starbucks that was at West 115th/Clifton....

Across Clifton from Pulp is a vacant PNC Bank that will become a medical office. The property sold just last month....

These apartment buildings were extensively renovated last year, including new brick work, replaced porches and new/extensively refurbished columns. The near building is St. Charles and its eastern twin is St. James....

A couple of bonus shots at West 110th and Clifton (my turn-back location for my 30-minute walks)....

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:54:32 AM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1499 on: September 22, 2017, 03:16:24 PM »
From this week's Cudell Snippets newsletter......

HISTORIC CHURCH ROOF TILES STILL AVAILABLE
Many were heartbroken when the former Fifth Church of Christ Scientist was demolished due to it's dangerous and deteriorated condition to make way for the Shoppes on Clifton development and 117Lake Townhomes.  However, many of the roof tiles from the iconic dome have been salvaged and are available for purchase.  Proceeds from the sales are earmarked for construction of the public green space that will be built at the corner of West 117th and Lake Avenue as part of the townhome development.  Roof tiles (various sizes and numbers) are $25.00.  The small commemorative plaque is an additional $5. Contact linda@cudell.com if you are interested in purchasing one or more.  Checks only, no cash accepted.