PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland/Lakewood: The Edge Developments  (Read 14690 times)

Offline blinker12

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland/Lakewood: The Edge developments
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2005, 11:09:37 AM »
Looks like there's going to be half a block of parking fronting on West 117th Street. Bummer.
It sounds like Brady knows this is a problem -- she should be going for better design, not just a bus circulator! I don't understand why we insist on destroying our city's walkability. It's one of our best assets, and projects like this severely compromise it.
That said, I'm glad I'll be able to spend my Target money (because I admit I *do* shop there) in the city.

Offline buildingcincinnati

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2005, 12:13:30 PM »
From the 12/23/05 Lakewood Sun Post:

Cities line up W. 117th border plans
Thursday, December 22, 2005
By DAVID PLATA
Lakewood Sun Post

Cooperation between Cleveland and Lakewood may be the order of the day for any redevelopment along West 117th Street, the border between the two cities.

Lakewood Mayor Thomas George said in a news release that the cities have reached a joint development agreement for the area between Edgewater Drive and Berea Road.

This agreement is a landmark start to better days along West 117th, George said in the release.

Cleveland Councilman Jay Westbrook, D-18, in whose ward the landmark former Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist is located - and which stands to be redeveloped as a commercial and residential center - said the agreement is still to be ratified by the two city councils.

According to the release, the cities will engage in good faith discussion of potential tax sharing agreements for new development.

Asked whether that means that taxes from the church redevelopment will be shared with Lakewood, Westbrook said, The key phrase is "good-faith discussion.' There's nothing without legislation.

George did not return calls for comment. Tom Jordan, Lakewood planning and development director, also did not return a call.

Westbrook said the status of the stalled church redevelopment remains where it was three months ago: Marous Brothers Construction at long last signed a one-year-option to buy the property.

The agreement lets the company explore options to redevelop the building, as well as the commercial strip fronting on Clifton Boulevard between West 117th and the Giant Eagle supermarket at West 116th Street.

Ownership of the more than 80-year-old octagonal sandstone building, on the Cleveland side of West 117th at Lake Avenue, reverted to the city more than a year ago after another developer couldn't follow through on redevelopment plans.

Other points in the pact between the cities, according to George's release, include use of uniform design standards, jointly seeking redevelopment proposals, and joint financing agreements.

It's one commercial corridor, which is best developed in a complementary way on both sides of the street, Westbrook said.

Cleveland Councilwoman Dona Brady, D-19, whose ward borders Lakewood at Berea Road, said the plan also may include provisions for maintaining industrial areas, such as the Welded Ring factory at West 117th and Berea.

She said the street has an average daily traffic count of about 24,000 vehicles.

What we're trying to achieve here is a master plan for West 117th Street, Brady said. It's very obvious that most of it is going to be primarily retail development - and most of it is already.

http://www.cleveland.com/sun/lakewoodsunpost/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1135273584201470.xml&coll=3

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2006, 09:36:18 PM »
OK, so Crain's came out with it's 2006 Book of Lists, which includes a list of the top regional architects.  Best yet, the PDF version contains built in links to nearly all of those architects!  Here are some renderings I found of the W. 117th Red Line Station that will be rebuilt soon.

Additional renderings that are too big for me to submit as attachments can be found here:
http://www.bialosky.com/index.cfm/portfolio/ontheboards/GCRTA-W.117th_

Offline A 2 da K

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2006, 09:41:32 PM »
Wow, very nice!

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2006, 09:49:46 PM »
I posted one of those pics last March....

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2675.msg26034#msg26034

I thought I had posted the other pics but a quick search reveals I had not. There is another string devoted to the West 117th station, though.

I'd like to see this station have a parking deck topped with housing. Of all the RTA West-side stations, this one can be better integrated with its neighborhood than most of the others.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2006, 10:08:52 PM »
Oops, sorry.  Didn't mean to make multiple threads on the same topic.  Maybe a mod could combine them?

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2006, 10:31:57 PM »
Grasscat's the man.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline noozer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2006, 04:42:32 AM »
A beautiful upgrade for a station that really needed it.  I use W. 117th Street a lot when I go to Cleveland on business and this will be a very wellcome change.  It ought to also spur some improvement around the station as well.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2006, 01:46:04 PM »
The layout that they've chosen does leave open a nice developable area in that parking lot.

Offline Robert Pence

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2006, 06:49:46 AM »
I like KJP's idea. That area needs a boost, and it's near enough to some already-decent places to make it viable.

I used to use that station 25 years ago when I was dating someone who lived in Lakewood, and it was a filthy, run-down dump, then. I can't image that it has improved on its own in the intervening years.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2006, 06:52:50 AM »
It's still a untapped area.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2006, 07:39:26 AM »
Just found this thread.

A little while back (before they closed off the area to the public), I went onto the property snd took some pictures. It felt like a ghost town.
You can see the set here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/muscatello/sets/1828873/

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2006, 08:06:36 AM »
Musky,

Great stuff. Very eerie.

Offline OompaLoompa

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2006, 11:50:45 AM »
Anyone heard any updates on this?  Marous has almost reached the 1 year deadline...

Offline blinker12

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2006, 01:35:38 PM »
Rapid repair hits $300,000 snag

Thursday, October 12, 2006
By David Plata
West Side Sun News

Unsuitable soil conditions at the Regional Transit Authority's West 117th Street station reconstruction site will cost an estimated $300,000 to correct.

We've run into some conditions that caused us to do some additional work, said Craig Kleve, engineering director at RTA. We're still on schedule. Our plan is still to open next fall.

The RTA board on Tuesday is expected to approve spending some $300,000 to remediate the unsuitable conditions.

The station, originally built in 1955, is at West 117th Street and Madison Avenue in Cleveland, on the border with Lakewood. Construction of a new, $4.7 million station began a year ago.

Kleve said initial soil samples did not show the extent of unsuitable conditions, including old tank foundations, old buildings and old plumbing lines, dating to the site's earliest days, when it was a train station.

It might have been silos for coal and the tinder box, he said.

The area affected is mainly at the northeast portion of the site, where the new bus loop and parking area will be located. Because of the soil conditions, Kleve said, the ground has a higher moisture content than needed to withstand the weight of buses and cars.

The station will be renamed Highland Square at West 117th Street, a reference to a neighborhood name used in the 1800s.

Construction work on the new station itself is not affected.

The latest expenditure is on top of nearly $220,000 in change orders approved earlier to excavate concrete structures, modify a retaining wall foundation, modify the elevator and shaft due to poor groundwater and subsurface conditions and more.

Despite the added expenditure of nearly $550,000, Kleve said, the project is still within budget.

We budgeted approximately $5.3 million for this project, he said. The bid was awarded at approximately $4.7 million.

The contractor for the project is Ohio Diversified Services Inc.

The station, which remains open during the work, is used by about 700 rail passengers daily and is a connecting point for the 804 Lakewood Circulator and three regular bus routes _ the 75X, 50 and 25.

The remediation consists of building a cap over the unsuitable soil, then filling in the site, to allow an acceptable weight distribution.

Kleve said the final remediation cost won't be known until completed. A reduced undercut test excavation and backfill was under way Monday.

If it performs well, we'll continue with that, Kleve said. If it doesn't perform well, we'll continue with complete excavation.

Offline OompaLoompa

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2007, 01:08:28 PM »
Went by there today and took a couple pics.  Can we assume that since the one year deadline has come and gone and there's been no word of plans, that Marous passed on the option to redevelop this site?

Offline gavster

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2007, 03:30:56 PM »
an amazing building in a great high density neighborhood....i dont understand why this building hasnt been touched

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2007, 11:33:27 AM »
To me, that beautiful vacant church (along with the current, sorry state of Edgewater Park) evokes a strong statement of loss and neglect.

Offline jamiec

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2007, 12:30:37 PM »
^ What's wrong with Edgewater Park? I went there all last summer, and it seemed like good park...

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2007, 12:45:41 PM »
^ What's wrong with Edgewater Park? I went there all last summer, and it seemed like good park...

I agree.  Edgewater is nice, I went to a couple of picnics there.

Offline Jax

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2007, 12:57:21 PM »
Me too, I think it's a great state park.

I recall hearing some nonsense about "Arab vs Latin" gang warfare going on there. I only bring it up to say I've never heard of or witnessed anything even remotely along those lines, and suspect it's just your typical racist fear mongering.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 12:58:52 PM by Jax »

Offline urbanlife

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
i like edgewater a lot, but imho, it is a little rough along the edges, especially the area by the beach and lower pavilion.   maybe it just needs a coat of paint, some uniform and well placed trash cans, or new signage.  but, after spending time on other lake erie beaches/parks and seeing what other large cities that have a nice park on the water, it could use some work.   

perhaps if metorparks actually took over edgewater and e55 it would improve and be consistent with their parks, which i think are very well run. 

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2007, 04:08:20 PM »
Sorry, I should clarify. The "park" itself is okay. I think the state does a decent job with cutting grass and maintaining the upper pavilion. While there are some shady guys that hang around the upper lot, I would say it's as safe as anywhere. The rangers are very nice and are always around.

It's the beach itself that is disgusting. Sometimes it looks like people simply hauled their trash right up to the sand and left it there. I have taken pictures and sent them to Columbus. Nobody seems to care, and as far as I know they won't hire anyone to pick it up.

Also there is a combined sewer outflow just yards away from the swimming area. It smells like an open sewer on some days because it is!!

I love the place, I really do. With some investment and better care it has the potential to be a real magnet for new residents and tourists. But in my opinion it is the most trash filled beach in America. 

p.s. Edgewater used to be very well manicured and taken care of:

http://cpl.org/collections.asp?key=%7B3D6A5824-F32C-4496-9EA1-6822075C12F2%7D

Offline Jax

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2007, 04:26:39 PM »
Wow, cool pics. Thanks for the link!

Offline jamiec

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2007, 05:02:37 PM »
^^ Points well taken.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2007, 07:24:44 PM »
Very nice pics.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2007, 08:37:24 PM »
It used to be a city-run park, but the city could no longer afford it by the 1970s and turned it over to the state. That bathhouse became a vacant derelict. I have a picture of it in its later years with the beach in front of it clogged with dead trees, branches and other debris that had washed up in storms. Very sad. What you see today is an improvement from the 1970s, but still down from the scenes of 1900-1940.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2007, 08:37:36 PM »
Sounds like we need a "Friends of Edgewater Park" group.  There has to be a core group of people who live within walking distance of that park that would organize to improve the area.  With thousands of residents soon to be connected directly into the park because of the shoreway renovation, I can only see an increased interest in keeping the park clean and user-friendly. Tak away a few ribbons of concrete and you'll see a huge difference in the psychological connection to this park by the surrounding residents.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2007, 10:57:04 PM »
Sorry, I should clarify. The "park" itself is okay. I think the state does a decent job with cutting grass and maintaining the upper pavilion. While there are some shady guys that hang around the upper lot, I would say it's as safe as anywhere. The rangers are very nice and are always around.

I hate to say this, but those guys arent shady they're horny.  Edgewater used to be famous for its "cruising".  channel 8 used to do sex sting operations there.

One of my bosses at SOHIO was caught with his pants down in his car with a 16 yo boy at lunchtime.  Then caught in the main library the following week.  That was the best scandal at BP.

Offline Vulpster03

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2007, 02:13:49 PM »
I always thought that church building would be a great rehab house for the Real World. Probably the right location too.