PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: FirstEnergy Stadium renovations, changes  (Read 3439 times)

Offline dave68

• Key Tower 947'
Re: Cleveland: FirstEnergy Stadium renovations, changes
« Reply #540 on: July 31, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »
new west scoreboard up and running. 

Offline dave68

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #541 on: July 31, 2014, 02:18:09 PM »
east end zone progress
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:24:13 PM by dave68 »

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #542 on: July 31, 2014, 03:01:12 PM »
Thanks Dave!

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #543 on: July 31, 2014, 03:08:37 PM »
Here's how close the real Dawg Pound seats were to the field...

"@AaronPikeCPA: #tbt My Dad on the roof of #Cleveland Municipal w/ no media credentials;  @Browns fans this is the #DawgPound http://t.co/uND8wmgpMn"

Thank you that must have been a wild section and a terror for opponents.

Offline dave68

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #544 on: July 31, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
My Dad was the timekeeper for The Cleveland Browns for 25 years in the 60's 70's and 80's. I was lucky to have grown up on the field of Municipal Stadium.  There was nothing better than the grit and power of The Dawg Pound bleachers.   No matter any of these renovations the fans of Cleveland make this stadium the best.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #545 on: July 31, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
^I know the current time-keeper

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #546 on: July 31, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »
Thank you that must have been a wild section and a terror for opponents.

It was. Most of the time, fans threw dog biscuits or snowballs at players. It was all just fun. But some idiots would throw heavier things like batteries.

The noise was definitely louder at the Dawg Pound end because the fans were so close. And it contrasted with the other end because the end zone was where the pitching mound was for baseball. So you had 60 feet to home plate and then a generous area behind home plate to the first row of seats. So it was roughly 80-100 feet from the end zone to the seats at the west end of the stadium. I sat in those seats for my first-ever Browns games in 1982 verses the Eagles, just before the players strike. The seats were awful. There was no way to know where either team was on the field, how many yards were gained, or if they were close to a first down -- except by looking at the scoreboard at the other end of the stadium or the mini scoreboards around the field.

The contrast was so stark that I remember in a Browns-Broncos game in 1989, Bronco players couldn't hear John Elway call the plays in the huddle or at the line while backed up to the Dawg Pound. So the refs had them switch ends of the field so the Broncos could be at the west end where the fans were much farther away from the action. Browns Coach Bud Carson was furious! Yet, Broncos RB Sammy Winder fumbled with a few minutes left in a tie game. Kosar drove the Browns down the field and Matt Bahr kicked the game-winning field goal. Bahr later joked "It was nice for us to get a fumble and a drive in the same game."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:39:18 PM by KJP »
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline dave68

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #547 on: August 08, 2014, 09:34:04 PM »
A few updates and observations.

The rendering which was presented to The City and fans adjusted as the build happens. There sure seems to be very little structural steel components left off in the rendering than was engineered.   I believe in truth in advertising and much has changed.   I'll let you be the judges.
1.  Pepsi signage area. big change in angle
2.  speakers added into orange area
3. orange area changed shape and size
4. "Sherwin Williams" sign floats instead of resting on top of video board

Also note the square video board to the left of the main board was dismantled today.  Not sure what the issue was but not a good sign with such a tight finished schedule.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:36:52 PM by dave68 »

Offline jeremyck01

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #548 on: August 09, 2014, 02:05:41 AM »
^I really don't get what the big deal is. Things change. These changes are minor.

Online Klingaling87

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #549 on: August 09, 2014, 03:46:34 AM »
^I really don't get what the big deal is. Things change. These changes are minor.

Thank you!!

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #550 on: August 09, 2014, 06:44:36 AM »

Except the price tag. And apparently the change in fan experience. We'll see.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline jeremyck01

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #551 on: August 09, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »

Except the price tag. And apparently the change in fan experience. We'll see.

I'm referring to another poster pointing out the little changes between what was presented and what is actually happening, most of which has to do with signage. I think the overall changes to the stadium are good.

Offline Firenze98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #552 on: August 14, 2014, 10:33:33 PM »

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #553 on: August 18, 2014, 08:23:46 PM »
I hear its a mad scramble to get everything done by the 23rd. They're rushing to get city sign off as they are behind. Lots of jobs are like that at the end though.

Offline DM4

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #554 on: August 18, 2014, 08:26:13 PM »
None of these improvements will improve "fan experience" if the Browns offense continues to look this terrible!

Offline tradition7

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #555 on: August 18, 2014, 08:27:04 PM »
I was told they are working through the night now.  Based on the webcam I don't see how they get everything finished in time (not to mention the inspections) but we'll see in less than 5 days.

Offline dave68

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #556 on: August 19, 2014, 01:00:23 AM »
Here are some interior updates from the evening of August 18.    Much still needs to be finished prior to the 23rd.   I don't know what the status is with regards to any of the exterior entrance gates.

Online Klingaling87

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #557 on: August 19, 2014, 02:24:20 AM »
They've been working through the night for some time now. Secondly, the temporary C of O will be Thursday. The expectation is that most work will be complete by the first regular season game. It will be done.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #558 on: August 19, 2014, 08:04:36 AM »
From the interview I heard with the brass yesterday on 92.3, this is is just the first wave of numerous renovations that are on the way.

Also, the person interviewed (can't remember who it was exactly) mentioned a few times that the stadium was "sterile" ha ha.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #559 on: August 19, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
How ironic that it's shaped like the state of Tennessee! #JimmyHaslamState

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #560 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »

Also ironic: the seating is the same color as Jimmy Haslam's face.

Offline Whipjacka

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #561 on: August 19, 2014, 11:44:45 AM »
^ha, thats good

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #562 on: August 19, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »

Also ironic: the seating is the same color as Jimmy Haslam's face.

Looked more red than orange last night:

Offline freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #563 on: August 19, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »
Although not a part of the renovations the city announced yesterday it will be closing the pedestrian bridge that leads from the mall to the stadium indefinitely. Whatever that means.  They want to funnel everyone up W3rd. Does this mean they are very confident they will find the funds to complete the proposed 'new' bridge? If it's not going to be used I hope it is demolished soon.  It's definitely nothing to look at.

http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index.ssf/2014/08/new_cleveland_browns_tailgatin.html

Offline dave68

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #564 on: August 19, 2014, 08:29:15 PM »

I prefer to think the shape is the bow of a boat

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #565 on: August 20, 2014, 08:14:34 AM »
Although not a part of the renovations the city announced yesterday it will be closing the pedestrian bridge that leads from the mall to the stadium indefinitely. Whatever that means.  They want to funnel everyone up W3rd. Does this mean they are very confident they will find the funds to complete the proposed 'new' bridge? If it's not going to be used I hope it is demolished soon.  It's definitely nothing to look at.

http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index.ssf/2014/08/new_cleveland_browns_tailgatin.html

Do you mean replacing the existing pedestrian bridge or the new, $25 million, fully funded pedestrian bridge linking the malls and convention center with North Coast Harbor?

Offline freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #566 on: August 20, 2014, 08:58:47 AM »
^You're saying it's fully funded. I though they were still short from not getting the TIGER?

OK, 10 from the city,10 from the county, 5 from the state. I was thinking they needed 30...guess not.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:02:22 AM by freethink »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #567 on: August 20, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
Cost of the walkway itself is $25 million. All funding is in hand. But I don't think this walkway is terribly convenient for Browns fans. It's farther east than the existing walkway and, midway down the new walkway, it will make a right-angle jog even farther east, farther from the stadium. Better to hike down to West 3rd if you're stadium-bound.

Offline freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #568 on: August 21, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
Couple of videos from WKYC about FirstEnergy renovation. Including the lifting of a Ford truck into the stadium. Browns indicate all major construction will be complete by the wkd. Judging from the webcams looks like a lot of finish work still needs to be done. I suspect that will go into the next couple of weeks.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2014/08/20/browns-ford-lift/14371503/

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/cuyahoga-county/2014/08/19/changes-for-browns-game-on-saturday/14320057/

Offline TPH2

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #569 on: August 24, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »
Here a few pictures I took from the game last night. I wish I took more, and I wish they were better quality. I'm a big fan of the new deck above the Dawg Pound. Overall, the stadium has a much cooler feel to it.