PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Louisville: Developments and News  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Jeff

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Re: Louisville, KY: RiverPark Place
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 08:13:56 PM »
Gee, I dont know.  What outback?

Offline buildingcincinnati

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 08:49:37 PM »
And what did they say?

Offline necromantical

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2006, 10:47:50 AM »
Gee, I dont know.  What outback?

Tumbleweed
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 10:49:54 AM by necromantical »

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2006, 04:45:50 PM »
^thats cute, why on earth does it have to moved??

It is in the way of the developement. 

thats prob the truth and that is so pathetic. this is partly why i am calling bs bland on this. why not incorporate it if it's so historic? i'll tell you why, because it would take some originality to do that and those plans came out of a cereal box.

well as i said in the previous thread the architecture in those renderings leaves a lot to be desired as there is none, it looks like anything going up anywhere these days.

LOL..really? Maybe in New York.   The towers and plaza look like a lot of fun, but the low rises are pretty bland.

maybe everywhere. surely you have been following architecture trends lately? this is generic lifestyle mall-catecture. you even called most of it bland yourself - that's because it is. goes with the dullsville name eh?

ok ok call me picky, i plead guilty. besides looks, i just do not like the atmosphere of these sterile places when they do get built.

but more important and worrisome than appearances, now you are saying the area was previously occupied, but abandoned due to flooding? 

It looks like the thing is raised above grade (perhaps there is a big parking garage at grade, with the earth mounds screening it somehow?  In any case I dont see how this could be built at grade do the flooding issue..surely the COE would never permit this. 

i would hope so jeff. good luck to them with that if it gets built, but if it's a real project here's hoping they lively it up. 

Offline Jeff

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2006, 05:47:16 PM »
Tumbleweed looks like it has a pretty good view of Jeffboat.  And I see they are still mooring barges off Towhead Island.

why not incorporate it if it's so historic? i'll tell you why, because it would take some originality to do that and those plans came out of a cereal box.

According to that wiki entry it looks like they are going to incorporate it into the design as some sort of enry feature.  Another interesting thing is that the facade had been moved once before, relocated from an interestate ROW.

Architecturally this is somewhat new for Louisville, though perhaps commonplace elsewhere.  Louisville usually is pretty conservative/traditional when it comes to spec architecture. 

Offline necromantical

• Kettering Tower 408'
Re: Louisville: Downtown Waterfront Arena
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2006, 03:49:59 PM »
Uof L, LG&E see no obstacles to arena
Both are finalizing agreements with the Louisville Arena Authority.
By Marcus Green
magreen@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

A day after city lawmakers approved a downtown arena financing plan, officials for those representing the next hurdles ó the University of Louisville and Louisville Gas & Electric ó say the way seems clear for the project to advance.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060726/NEWS01/60726032
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:30:31 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2006, 09:55:27 AM »
As a frequent guest at Louisville (I live in Lexington), this development is very close to the downtown and would be on TARC's bus route. IIRC, from the renderings posed, this is southwest of Zorn Avenue towards the Big Four Bridge and the riverfront park. With the Big Four under extensive development for conversion into a rail-trail crossing (and a park extension east as Phase III), and with numerous lofts and condo construction projects going on just past the bridge, this is a convenient place to host a large development such as this.

It is easily accessible by the Zorn Avenue interchange along Interstate 71, however, residents would not need to rely on this. It is within walking distance of the east Louisville district and the stadium, and its close proximity to the park system would be an added bonus.

I'm suprised I haven't heard about this yet.

Offline necromantical

• Kettering Tower 408'
Louisville Cardinal football stadium expansion
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2006, 02:19:46 PM »
this is cool.....still doesn't come close to the ole' buckeye stadium

before

after

An expanded Papa Johnís Cardinal Stadium with 63,600 seats should be ready to open for the 2009 University of Louisville football season.  The schoolís athletic association board of directors on Wednesday unanimously approved plans to go ahead with the $65 million expansion project.  The school will send out requests for proposals to architecture firms by the end of this week with a goal of beginning construction by January 2008.

In October, U of L athletic director Tom Jurich revealed artistsí renderings of the expanded stadium, which currently holds about 42,000 fans.  But he said at the time he needed to gauge the interest of the fan base before proceeding.

The school hopes to raise $30 million in donations and pay for the other $35 million by issuing bonds.  The bonds would then be paid for by the revenue generated by the extra seating, particularly in the additional 2,000 loge seats on the stadiumís east side.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061129/SPORTS02/61129045
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:26:45 PM by rider »

Offline UncleRando

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Louisville Cardinal football stadium expansion
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2006, 02:22:37 PM »
That's very cool.....good news for the Big East Conference!  I think that the Big East is very glad it added Louisville to its roster (UofL's athletics are solid across the board)!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2006, 02:24:41 PM »
I love UrbanKentucky.com!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2006, 02:28:34 PM »
I am pretty amazed at Louisville's rise in the DI ranks. I thought that they'd go downhill after JLSmith left. They only got better and MSU only got worse! 

Offline UncleRando

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2006, 02:32:34 PM »
BTW, what is that gray area behind the endzone seats...in the before picture this was absent...are these box seats or what??

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2006, 02:35:14 PM »
^it looks like they slapped some gray paint on the existing structure, that's all.

Offline mohr37

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »
Great for Louisville athletics.  Even though I wasn't impressed with the stadium when I went there.  Something about a stadium being located in a massive parking lot kinda sucks.  By the way, when was the last time anyone heard of anything coming out of the University of Louisville.  Talk about an athletics dominated university.  Maybe they should be spending some of the athletic money on the campus, which I find very underwhelming.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2006, 04:40:54 PM »
I really don't see how this is an appropriate topic here. The Museum Plaza thread at least involves a distinctive project - this is a stadium expansion and belongs somewhere else (and I don't mean on urbanohio.com).

Offline Jeff

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2006, 06:49:22 PM »

Louisville, Lexington, and , uh, Ashland?

Offline Jeff

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2006, 06:53:35 PM »
Something about a stadium being located in a massive parking lot kinda sucks.

College football stadiums seem to be located on the old research farm or on a lot of open space.  I think that was the case with OSU and UofK stadiums.

UofL was located on the L&N Railroads South Louisville yards and shops.   So instead of an abandoned railroad yard there is acres of parking and a big stadium, though I wonder if that parking does double duty for Churchill Downs during the Derby as this stadium is pretty close.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2006, 07:38:57 PM »
That entire area near Papa Johns is odd. The airport, UPS, football stadium, old baseball stadium, etc.  In some respects, Louisville really missed some opportunities.

Offline necromantical

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2006, 09:12:06 PM »
well, i think the area is pretty cool...its like two blocks from churchill downs. during derby that area becomes hollywood.

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2006, 09:17:04 PM »

Louisville, Lexington, and , uh, Ashland?

Owenton!

Really, though, I was quite impressed with Frankfort, I'd like to learn more.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2006, 12:53:46 PM »
well, i think the area is pretty cool...its like two blocks from churchill downs. during derby that area becomes hollywood.

That is one day of the year.  Smashed between a highway and an airport, that area is full of large things that get used only a couple of times per year.   Is the baseball stadium still in service? 

Offline necromantical

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2006, 01:22:47 PM »
its also a pretty nice neighborhood. what highway are talking about? papa johns is around the 4th street Iroqouis park area. There has been a lot of development in that area over the past 10 years.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2006, 01:35:33 PM »
What highway? I-65 is just a block away.

Does UL use that baseball stadium at all?

Offline LouisvilleJake

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2006, 04:04:51 PM »
What baseball stadium are you talking about?

UofL just built a brand new baseball stadium on campus, along it's athletics corridor.

If you're referring to old Cardinal Stadium that is owned by the Fair Grounds and is old and highly visible from I-65, the answer is no. It was never used by baseball anywaay, it was a football stadium.

That stadium is being torn down in either 07 or 08, with a large music venue, a la Verizon/Deer Creek in Indianapolis, taking it's place.

However, i have to say that hte UofL area was very sketchy only a few years ago, and even now that area still has a long way to go. With that being said, UofL has gone on an unprecidented building spree on campus and is investing heavily in the community around it. There are several loft conversions directly around campus, and abutting the the stadium parking lot they are building "sports condos" in an old pasta factory.

Would I call the UofL area nice? No, not yet really. But is it up and coming? Yeah, they're doing a ton of work in that area.

Offline necromantical

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2006, 04:53:35 PM »
what about that shopping plaza right across the street from PJCS? how is that doing? there isa new baseball stadium right next to the football stadium as well. and i know that area has seen a lot of immigrants lately. as far as the interstate goes, i don't think it really affects that area too much, i didn't notice it my first time at churchhill downs.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 04:55:58 PM by necromantical »

Offline Jeff

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2006, 05:21:37 PM »
Cardinal Stadium was used by a tripple A team back in the early 80s. 

That entire area near Papa Johns is odd. The airport, UPS, football stadium, old baseball stadium, etc.

You're talking about this area, and the area to the south, correct?

I've always wondered about it myself.  It is a no-mans land of sort.  But maybe some investigation into some local urban geogrpahy & history could be interesting and a bit of fun here......

Lets start with old 19th century Louisville...the city in 1916, not showing the suburban growht too much outside of the city limits, you can see this town had grown mostly to the east and west, and somewhat to the south...a big Chicagoesque grid....

Taking a closer look at the southern edge of town...The old "house of refuge" reform school, which was to become the UofL campus in the 1920s, and a collection of railroad mainlines, junctions, and transfer tracks sort of blocking off the area beyond.  Yet, beyond is the industrial suburb of South Louisville and the extensive (for 19th century Louisville) Kentucky Wagon Works (by 1917 they were making Dixie Flyer automobiles).  Confederate Monument shown for reference.  The area to the north, what is St James & Belegravia courts, was subdivided in the 1880s, I think.

However, whats interesting is what was happening south of city.  South Louisville was one of two industrial suburbs, Highland Park further south was another, and then there was a collection of horse race tracks, somewhat close to the L&N mainline so trains with racehores could pull off on sidings close to the tracks.   Thats why Churchill Downs is where it is.

Also, in the late 1880s the mayor bought one of the outlying knobs for a park, and built a boulevard to connect it.  This was eventually wrapped into the "Olmstead" park system

The new park and parkway became a draw for visitors, and streetcars where extended out to the new park and other local features of interest (Devils Backbone, or  Coxes Knob, had been a summer retreat since the 1870s).  Beer gardens and dance pavilions sprouted up at the end of the lines.

And, the new car lines led to a real estate boom, forming Louisvilles' "South End" (Louisville has a East, West, and South End).
The boom also resulted in Churchill Downs becoming landlocked.

But the South End was just one of a few fingers of development extending out along the radial highways leading into the city, usually seperated by creek bottoms and hilly country...by the WII era the subdivided and built up areas where extending well out of the old 19th century gridded city in the Ohio River bottoms.

The nearest extension of the built up area to the east was along Preston Highway, into the "wet woods", which is this real low and flat country that used to be seasonally flooded, sort of like a local Okeefenokee Swamp, but drained in the years before WWI.  This "crawdad country" is tinted bluish green in the map:

A close up of the area between Preston Highway and the South End, showing the limits of the built up area by the 1930s....

...i think one reason this area wasn't built up was because it was somwhat isolated, not many roads, blocked off by railroad lines and yards and so forth, and probably pretty swampy further south.  So it was this dead land until after WWII.  It was always sort of an odd sort of no-mans land, which was developed into low density industry during the 50s & 60s. 

The big impact in this area, though, was during WWII when the airport was built.  The site for the airport was selected due to surveys during the 37 Flood showing this being flat country, close in, but not hit by the flood.  Louisville aready had an airport on the east end for commercial aviation, but it was getting small.  Before any action could be taken WWII intervened and the military snapped up this site for the Army Air Force...

..the map shows the original military runway configuration and the big aircraft factory.  The line of the wet woods lowlands..here called the Ash Bottom... and some other features, like a big indian mound called "Lone Hill", and original road configurations (Grade Lane was Lone Hill Road, and Crittenden Drive was Ash Bottom Road back in those days).

One of the aerospace companies was Consolidated Vultee.  Perhaps aviation buffs can ID the model here?

WWII era construction on the runway.  Notice how pancake flat the countryside is here, to the south....

After the war, the airfield was turned over to the civilans (though the military still has a presence there), and the aircraft factory became this giant International Harvester plant.  The civilian terminal was located on the north side, built in the late 40s, around the same time the Watterson Expressway (US 60 Bypass) was built.  Kentucky Turnpike (later I-65) finished in '56. around the same time the Kentucky State Fairgrounds relocated to the north of the airport, buying up alot of that dead land west of Preston Higway and the Southern RR main to Lexington.

Also during the 50s & 60s the runways where extended for jet travel, obliterating Lone Hill, and the big Ford Plant was built south of the airport.

By the early 1970s the airport was recognized as inadequate, being too hemmed in by ubanization.  A big search went on for alternative sites, and one well to the east of Louisville, near Finchville in Shelby County, was chosen.  The idea was to build a state of the art airport (like DFW or Heartsfield), with multiple terminals, people movers, etc.   This attempt to postiion Louisville for the post-CAB era of hub-and-spoke air travel failed due to big NIMBY opposition. 

So that is how Louisville missed out on becoming a big hub airport.

What did happend was the UPS hub, and the later expansion of the airport via the two big parallell runways and the UPS complex between them.  This was a do-or-die thing, which meant some hardball tactics with the surrounding neighborhoods, some of which where totally bulldozed and removed.

For some pix of that check out:

Highland Park I

&

Highland Park II

Other neighborhoods well to the south in the former "wet woods", but in the flight path, where also removed.  I drove through those once, erie seeing the abandoned houses boarded up, ghost subdivisions of ranches and split levels.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Sort of a digression there...the area around Churchill Downs has been drastically altered via that big highway they built (including a bridge) that is clearly visible on the aeriel photos.

What this meant was the demolition of the 4th & Central neighborhood buisiness district right outside of the Churchill Downs gate. This place used to be where, the night before the race, the real racing junkys gathered..the gamblers, race fans, grooms, stable boys, industry types, for sort of a big street party.  This was more the 'industry/racing fan party', vs the Infield or the Grandstands, which was the race fans for one day a year for the Derby.  It was a bit more scruffy than the main event events.

But that setting is all gone now.  And they built this very cheesy shopping center near where that highway crosses the L&N mainline to Papa Johns Stadium.  This would have been a primo candidate for new-urbanist development. 

What is this area like, around Churchill downs?  Well, it used to be working class white.  Think Upper Price Hill or East Dayton/Belmont.   Lately, in the areas to the North of the Downs, that old South Louisville neighborhood, Ive been noticing it becoming more black than it used to.  The area also gets some UofL students, but its not a real student neighborhood.  And also some foreigners, as the catholic church in the neighborhood does some work with refugee resettlement.  I recall when I was in Lousiville they had Hmong living near the church, and the church would sell their crafts in a parish bazaar.

Offline necromantical

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2006, 01:32:49 PM »
you know a lot of history

Offline necromantical

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2007, 02:29:53 PM »
UPDATED: 2:14 PM
RiverPark Place work about to begin
By Sheldon S. Shafer
sshafer@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Ground will be broken March 2 for the $200 million RiverPark Place between River Road and the Ohio River near Towhead Island.

The Army Corps of Engineers recently approved a permit for the project just upriver from Waterfront Park.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070222/BUSINESS/70222047

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:07:16 AM by buildingcincinnati »

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2007, 02:33:37 PM »
why is a new build development from Louisville, KY in the Architecture and preservation thread on UrbanOhio?  :?

Offline necromantical

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2007, 02:35:01 PM »
look around, there are threads already here about Lousiville, Manhatten, Tulsa, Philly, Brooklyn...indianapolis, dubai...etc, etc....

i'm from Cleveland and live in Kentucky.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 02:37:34 PM by necromantical »