PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Suburban Cleveland: Development and News  (Read 1861 times)

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Suburban Cleveland: Development and News
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »

DiGeronimo-Baldwin Wallace project could give downtown Berea a lift
May 21, 2017 UPDATED 2 DAYS AGO
By STAN BULLARD   

In a more than $15 million development project, a joint venture by Baldwin Wallace University and DiGeronimo Cos. of Independence plans to develop a four-story mixed-use building in downtown Berea.

The plan calls for replacing two single-story commercial buildings on the north side of the suburb's downtown at 111-118 Front St. with a structure with retail on the ground floor and a total of 81 units capable of housing 131 students above it.

Robert C. Helmer, president of Baldwin Wallace, said, "This novel collaboration will expand the attractive, contemporary housing options available to BW students and, at the same time, provide vibrant economic development for downtown."

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170521/NEWS/170529983/digeronimo-baldwin-wallace-project-could-give-downtown-berea-a-lift
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline Mendo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2017, 11:10:27 AM »
Glad to see BW getting into the downtown student housing game. Larger schools like Kent and Akron have been doing this for a decade.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2017, 11:51:07 PM »
Crazy warehouse development!!

Highland Heights business gets grant toward big project in Mentor
By: Betsy Scott (BScott@News-Herald.com)
POSTED: Friday, May 19, 2017 - 1:17 p.m.
UPDATED: 3 DAYS AGO

Another international industrial company plans a move - and a major investment - in Mentor.

Heilind Electronics, a global wholesale distributor of electronic connectors and circuits, intends to build a 181,000-square-foot warehouse and office in which to relocate its Highland Heights operation.

The project is planned for about 14 acres at 6240 Tin Man Road, southwest of the Tyler Boulevard/Heisley Road intersection.

MORE:
http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20170519/highland-heights-business-gets-grant-toward-big-project-in-mentor
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2017, 08:08:55 AM »
Yet another big commercial building, but this one is a factory....

De Nora Tech is investing $31.2M in move to Mentor
Manufacturing company has been in Chardon for 48 years
May 21, 2017 UPDATED 10 HOURS AGO
By RACHEL ABBEY MCCAFFERTY   

De Nora Tech LLC last week officially kicked off a construction project that will move more than 150 employees from Chardon to Mentor in the coming years.

And that's a big change, because the plant that today is known as De Nora Tech has been in Chardon for about 48 years. But as the company has grown and changed, it's now in need of a larger, more technically advanced plant.

De Nora Tech makes anodes and cathodes for various industries, said project manager Jamie Schafer. Some recognizable products under that umbrella are in-ground pool chlorinators and equipment for chrome plating on vehicles. And that's been the case throughout the company's history. It got its start as Diamond Shamrock and became Eltech before being purchased by Italian-based De Nora in 2005.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170521/NEWS/170529989/de-nora-tech-is-investing-31-2m-in-move-to-mentor
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:09:51 AM by KJP »

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2017, 06:46:59 AM »
Brecksville appears to be very close to acquiring title to the 102 acre former VA site at Miller & Brecksville roads.  This is a huge asset, that is great news to redevelop but I don't see how the City can just turn the asset over to a developer with a memo of understanding.  How would there not be some RFP to transfer the property to create competition among developers for highest & best use/tax & job generation back to the community?

http://www.cleveland.com/brecksville/index.ssf/2017/06/brecksville_close_to_acquiring.html#incart_river_home

Developer is unnamed in the article per Mayor Hruby but I believe it's the DiGeronimo family of Independence Excavating and Pinecrest development

Offline audidave

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2017, 07:03:26 AM »
^I can see them trying to approximate a First and Main type of development there.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2017, 07:34:57 AM »
This is a nice sizable piece of land for development.  I might guess that it is likely one of the largest remaining in the county. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2017, 07:39:46 AM »
Legally, there has to be a pre-advertised RFP or auction for the sale of any publicly owned property.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2017, 08:03:52 AM »
^I can see them trying to approximate a First and Main type of development there.

I think the goal is much more office, lab, research, HQ type site.  They don't want to draw retail from downtown.  Imagine a tenant like Sherwin Williams R&D from downtown or similar tenants with a mix of Class A office.  It's a perfect setting for a corporate HQ and possibly some mixed tenant buildings as well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:06:28 AM by gottaplan »

Offline bjk

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
I always thought this is where the IKEA should go.

Offline mack34

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »
Why would you want to take SW R&D from Downtown?   Its a nice chunk of land.....I just wish it could be used to recruit a company from outside the area to come in. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
Seven Hills developer asks to amend PUD for luxury apartments
Updated on June 27, 2017 at 10:04 AM Posted on June 27, 2017 at 10:00 AM
BY MARK HOLAN/SPECIAL TO CLEVELAND.COM

SEVEN HILLS, Ohio - The plans for the Rockside Crossings at Seven Hills have changed.

At the June 26 meeting, council voted 6-1 to refer the ordinance, which would amend the Planned United Development District (PUD), to the planning commission. Council Pro Tem and Ward 2 Councilman Timothy Fraundorf was the lone dissenting vote.

Alan Ritchie, the attorney for LSB Seven Hills LLC, came before council caucus to ask for the change to move the apartments that were to be built above the retail/commercial/office building on Rockside and move them back on the property "standing on their own."

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/seven-hills/index.ssf/2017/06/seven_hills_developer_asks_to.html

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2017, 11:13:17 PM »
Not so fast....

Seven Hills developer withdraws proposal for apartments
Posted on July 10, 2017 at 8:29 AM
Seven Hills city officials are still working with the developer to finalize plans for Rockside Crossings.
http://www.cleveland.com/seven-hills/index.ssf/2017/07/seven_hills_developer_withdraw.html

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2017, 08:02:08 PM »
North Olmsted City Schools administration tours $90 million campus construction
Updated on July 13, 2017 at 6:54 AM Posted on July 13, 2017 at 6:49 AM
By John Benson, special to cleveland.com

NORTH OLMSTED, Ohio - Construction of North Olmsted City Schools' new grade 6 through 12 educational, performing arts center and athletic complex isn't supposed to be completed until next year, but Superintendent Michael E. Zalar recently led a group of administrators on a tour.

"Obviously, there's a lot of curiosity about the building project," Zalar said. "People see what's happening on the outside as they drive by the school. And our administrators have not had the opportunity to be inside, and so we made arrangements during the workers' lunch break to have a tour.

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/north-olmsted/index.ssf/2017/07/north_olmsted_city_schools_adm.html

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2017, 03:15:49 PM »
Crain's has an article about this development but you can't read it anymore due to a new paywall. So we'll have to wait for it to come out to in the PD to learn more about it....

Universal Windows will build $3.5 million headquarters in Bedford Heights
The site of a long-vacant Ramada Inn soon will host a new corporate headquarters, thanks to a team effort by the city and economic development agencies that are injecting a $1 million-plus package of financial assistance into the deal.

Cuyahoga County‏Verified account @CuyahogaCounty  7h7 hours ago
We're in Bedford Heights with @CuyaLandBank at the old vacant hotel on Rockside..& it's about to go DOWN!

Offline PoshSteve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2017, 05:36:35 PM »
Wow! I never thought I'd see the day! My dad lives around the corner from there, and over all these years I've just gotten a feeling that it would always remain abandoned. This is turning into a good year for demolishing long abandoned hotels. With that old Days Inn(?) on Northfield/Emery being torn down, and now this, anything is possible.

Its such a high visibility location that will per perfect for an HQ. Did you happen to catch what kind of presence the new building will have? I hope its more than just a single story.

Online Klingaling87

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2017, 06:27:19 PM »
For $3.5M, I can't imagine the new HQ being that much of a presence.

Offline AJ93

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2017, 07:20:17 AM »
No, it's likely going to be 1 story flex space, with offices in front and warehouse / light manufacturing in the back, but it's an income producing property and removes an eyesore so I'd say it's a win.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2017, 09:11:45 PM »
Great urban project for a nice suburban downtown....

Officials break ground in Berea for mixed-use Front Street development (photos)
http://www.cleveland.com/berea/index.ssf/2017/09/officials_break_ground_in_bere.html

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »
November 26, 2017 4:00 am      UPDATED 11 HOURS AGO
Lichter and Semarjian buy shuttered Walmart in Bedford
By STAN BULLARD 

There they go again.

The massive Walmart Supercenter in Bedford was acquired Friday, Nov. 17, by real estate developers Chris Semarjian and Stuart Lichter.

The business partners recently sold much of the former Randall Park Mall site, after demolishing the mall, for construction of an Amazon fulfillment center, one of their many massive industrial real estate projects over the last 20 years.

"This is just down the street," Semarjian said in a phone interview about the Walmart Supercenter property at 22209 Rockside Road. "I'm so happy. It's in beautiful shape. Randall Park was hard work. This is a question of fine-tuning."

The 200,000-square-foot building sits on 23 acres. It was constructed in 2008 and renovated in 2015. It has modern lighting and skylights, and it's fully air-conditioned and equipped for heavy power for the grocery section. Walmart shut the supercenter in 2016.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20171126/news/143466/lichter-and-semarjian-buy-shuttered-walmart-bedford

Offline Down_with_Ctown

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2018, 01:22:05 PM »
NOACA and the cities of South Euclid, Lyndhurst, and Mayfield Heights are studying the future of the "Mayfield Road corridor."  A public meeting will be held at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at the South Euclid library.  Here's the link for the meeting:

http://www.mayfieldheights.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=182

Note that the meeting will cover not only road work (NOACA's typical bailiwick) but also redevelopment along the corridor.  The goal of the study is a unified framework for Mayfield Road moving forward.

This is all along a significant stretch of Mayfield Road (US-322).  Based on the three cities involved, it will go from Warrensville Center Road (the Cleve Hts. border) all the way to SOM Center Road (State Route 91).  It also includes the 271 interchange right before SOM.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »
NOACA and the cities of South Euclid, Lyndhurst, and Mayfield Heights are studying the future of the "Mayfield Road corridor."  A public meeting will be held at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at the South Euclid library.  Here's the link for the meeting:

http://www.mayfieldheights.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=182

Note that the meeting will cover not only road work (NOACA's typical bailiwick) but also redevelopment along the corridor.  The goal of the study is a unified framework for Mayfield Road moving forward.

This is all along a significant stretch of Mayfield Road (US-322).  Based on the three cities involved, it will go from Warrensville Center Road (the Cleve Hts. border) all the way to SOM Center Road (State Route 91).  It also includes the 271 interchange right before SOM.

Would be a great streetcar route, possibly connecting with existing in Shaker Square.