PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Suburban Sprawl News & Discussion  (Read 8437 times)

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Suburban Sprawl News & Discussion
« Reply #2460 on: July 16, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »
Hillbillies are awesome. They're resourceful. They know how to fix EVERYTHING. They're really community-oriented and always look out for their neighbors. I loved having hillbilly neighbors! Any time I needed random tools, ladders, parts for my bike, etc., they always had them! Anytime I needed help fixing something, they were always there for me! Incredible that they took so much time away from waving their confederate flags to do all that.

Mexicans are similar, which could be a big part of why they seem to get along with Appalachians.   

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #2461 on: July 16, 2017, 01:10:50 PM »
There's parts of Mason that are cheap. Drive up 42 and see all the houses with crummy additions.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #2462 on: July 16, 2017, 05:08:52 PM »
Hillbillies are awesome. They're resourceful. They know how to fix EVERYTHING. They're really community-oriented and always look out for their neighbors. I loved having hillbilly neighbors! Any time I needed random tools, ladders, parts for my bike, etc., they always had them! Anytime I needed help fixing something, they were always there for me! Incredible that they took so much time away from waving their confederate flags to do all that.

Mexicans are similar, which could be a big part of why they seem to get along with Appalachians.   

That's not of much value to hipsters since they don't own anything. Therefore nothing can break.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2463 on: July 17, 2017, 12:52:46 AM »
It's funny; not a single person on this site  has countered my argument with real statistics and there are a lot of nerds on this site with a lot of resources who I know would love to prove me otherwise. Fact is, most of the west side of Columbus, Old Brooklyn on down  to Clark-Fulton in Cleveland and Lower Price Hill in Cincinnati have relatively low crime rates and a history of inclusion compared to the rest of their respective cities. Inner-city Appalachian neighborhoods are indeed misunderstood and I dare say disenfranchised. I have Appalachian people in my family so it sort of hits home for me and I'd hope that people can understand  it's somewhat offensive when someone says something like, "I'd never live in Lower Price Hill because I don't want to live next to Kid Rock" or insinuating that they all wave confederate flags and act hostile towards everyone else  for no apparent reason. That's not true. I can see how it might be hard to differentiate the two but Hillbillies aren't the same as Rednecks!

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2464 on: July 17, 2017, 06:05:31 AM »
It's funny; not a single person on this site  has countered my argument with real statistics and there are a lot of nerds on this site with a lot of resources who I know would love to prove me otherwise. Fact is, most of the west side of Columbus, Old Brooklyn on down  to Clark-Fulton in Cleveland and Lower Price Hill in Cincinnati have relatively low crime rates and a history of inclusion compared to the rest of their respective cities. Inner-city Appalachian neighborhoods are indeed misunderstood and I dare say disenfranchised. I have Appalachian people in my family so it sort of hits home for me and I'd hope that people can understand  it's somewhat offensive when someone says something like, "I'd never live in Lower Price Hill because I don't want to live next to Kid Rock" or insinuating that they all wave confederate flags and act hostile towards everyone else  for no apparent reason. That's not true. I can see how it might be hard to differentiate the two but Hillbillies aren't the same as Rednecks!

Inclusion might be a bit of an overstatement (Appalachians are usually only truly inclusive with their own kin and allied families)  but only a bit of one as they aren't exclusive the way some groups can be.   They tend to be "equal opportunity" as far as suspicion goes.

One thing's for sure though, the disdain for them (and other rural/southern whites) is a big part of what got Trump elected.   It started with Gore in 2000 and a lot of people, myself included, thought that was mostly about guns.   That was part of it, but mostly it was about condescension.   Hillary was even worse than Obama and Gore at talking "at them" at best, but more likely down to them.   

No excuse for Hillary, because Bill didn't do that.  Trump, like him, got them to think he was talking to them, and with them.   He was probably faking and almost certainly generally full of fertilizer and deep down they knew it, but that turned them off far less than the "Progressive" approach does.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #2465 on: July 17, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »
Young Appalachian males in Columbus are explosive. They're always jittering around and about to blow at any time. Always jabberjawing on the phone too. Between that and the willingness of an Appalachian to dump all their problems on you from the minute you meet them, you can see why they make other groups nervous.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2466 on: July 17, 2017, 11:27:13 AM »
Growing up on the west side, our little baseball league teams were usually 50/50 Catholic/Appalachian.  The Appalachian kids on our teams always had dads who were gainfully employed (often wore those work uniforms to the games with name tags that said "Gary" or whatever).  But once or twice per year we'd play some hillbilly team up in Butler County near Hamilton.  Their dads didn't have jobs and things usually got out-of-control.  Their dads yelled at the umps, at each other, and occasionally coolers, folding chairs, and other items were thrown.  We were on vacation one year and so missed the time when a hillbilly dad got his gun out of his truck and threatened an umpire. 

In our area a fair number of the dads had union jobs at GE Aviation.  The place paid really well.  My dad had an advanced college degree but those guys were making as much or more than my dad did until he was at least 30.  Sometimes the moms had a little job on the side, but the men were definitely the breadwinners.  It established an order that allowed people to deal with problems one at a time.  Today, the lack of good employment for men is the cause of so much of the insane behavior we see all the time.   People are overwhelmed with problems because their financial situation is so precarious.   

Offline andrew0816

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #2467 on: July 17, 2017, 11:32:20 AM »

If you honestly think that your experience as a straight, white male who's family is from Appalachia is the same as other people's experiences (i.e. people who don't fit your description), then I don't know if it is worth even discussing this with you. But as far as Mexicans getting along with Appalachian folk, lol, yeah....maybe for my fellow Mexicans who are white, but that inclusion pretty much ends if you're unwilling to sell out your heritage (how many self-respecting Mexican Americans would put up with the blatant racism and anti-Mexican sentiment that white people/Appalachians/Trump supporters project?) or if you are not white presenting. Also, I used to work for a CDC that serves a neighborhood that has a mix of Latinos, African Americans, and white people of Appalachian decent and oh boy, do they not like outsiders, especially people who are not white. The amount of times I had to hear about how no one helps them out or how the area is being taken over by "those" people...

Oh, and I would not say that Old Brooklyn is primarily an "inner-city" Appalachian community, but my experiences with residents from those areas are anecdotal, but if you are truly interested in this and want statistics for these neighborhoods of which you speak, perhaps you could do your own work instead of relying on the "nerds on this site" to do it for you.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #2468 on: July 17, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »
Growing up on the west side, our little baseball league teams were usually 50/50 Catholic/Appalachian.  The Appalachian kids on our teams always had dads who were gainfully employed (often wore those work uniforms to the games with name tags that said "Gary" or whatever).  But once or twice per year we'd play some hillbilly team up in Butler County near Hamilton.  Their dads didn't have jobs and things usually got out-of-control.  Their dads yelled at the umps, at each other, and occasionally coolers, folding chairs, and other items were thrown.  We were on vacation one year and so missed the time when a hillbilly dad got his gun out of his truck and threatened an umpire. 

In our area a fair number of the dads had union jobs at GE Aviation.  The place paid really well.  My dad had an advanced college degree but those guys were making as much or more than my dad did until he was at least 30.  Sometimes the moms had a little job on the side, but the men were definitely the breadwinners.  It established an order that allowed people to deal with problems one at a time.  Today, the lack of good employment for men is the cause of so much of the insane behavior we see all the time.   People are overwhelmed with problems because their financial situation is so precarious.   

If you've got your name embroidered on your shirt that indicates that your company at least cares about you a little and feels that you are important. All that warehouse stuff that dominates the sub I-70 Columbus economy doesn't do anything like that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:34:45 AM by GCrites80s »

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2469 on: July 17, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
^ I worked my way through college at a job wearing those uniforms with my name embroidered on the front. I took a shirt as a keepsake when I left and the company docked like $12 of pay from my last paycheck for it.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2470 on: July 17, 2017, 11:53:20 AM »
They had just hired another guy named Ram and planned to re-use it.