PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Shaker Heights: Development and News  (Read 717 times)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Shaker Heights: Development and News
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
New residential breaks ground in Shaker Heights, reflects changing times
KARIN CONNELLY RICE | WEDNESDAY, MARCH 22, 2017

...“Shaker Heights is a beautiful area and we were well-aware of the beauty of the city’s homes,” says Vintage director of development Mike Marous. “What happens in built-up cities is there’s no land and you have to tear down [for new development], but here was this piece of land that for years was virgin soil that had never been built on.”

Working with Shaker officials, Vintage came up with a $10 million plan to build 33 upscale townhomes on the property, offering proximity to the RTA Rapid, University Circle, downtown and all that Shaker has to offer.

—Further reading: Placemaking puts Shaker residents in the mix of Van Aken District plans and The next must-live neighborhood: Moreland district.

“You can walk out the door, jump on the Rapid, get your groceries and be home in five minutes,” says Marous of the location, adding it offers the best of urban and suburban living. “It’s 15 minutes to downtown," he says, noting that picturesque Shaker Square is nearby and walkable.

MORE:
http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/VanAkenTownhomes032217.aspx
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline jjames0408

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »
^I've been passing that construction for the past two weeks and keep forgetting to snap a pic.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »
Construction update from yesterday, as seen from a Blue Line train....

The Townhomes of Van Aken, Onaway Station, Blue Line, #Shaker Hts. http://townhomesofvanaken.com/

"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2017, 11:25:57 AM »
Onaway Station looks nice and is great for this location.  But my fear, as I stated above, is that the few units built (4? 5?) on a small portion of the lot may be all that's going up in the first phase until market and financial conditions are solidified.  Willyboy I know some time ago you mentioned you'd be attending a Shaker City council meeting where Onaway Station was to be discussed.  Did you go?  Did you hear anything?

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2017, 07:44:54 PM »
I wish there was more room for infill on the Green Line.

Looking at HistoricAerials, I'm shocked at how many vacant lots there were well into the 1970's in the area.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2017, 07:46:59 PM »
There is room, but only around the Warrensville and Green stations. I posted some ideas in the TOD thread that the neighbors will surely hate.

Offline tedders55

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2017, 09:57:38 AM »
Onaway Station looks nice and is great for this location.  But my fear, as I stated above, is that the few units built (4? 5?) on a small portion of the lot may be all that's going up in the first phase until market and financial conditions are solidified.  Willyboy I know some time ago you mentioned you'd be attending a Shaker City council meeting where Onaway Station was to be discussed.  Did you go?  Did you hear anything?

I ride the Blue line just about every day and , while KJP's photos show the current progress they don't show the next units.  They have already laid the foundations and rough'ed in the plumbing so it would seem that they are going to be erecting those units quite soon.  I could be wrong, but I don't think they will be able to leave the site in such an unbuilt state.

This is all just my impression though and I haven't talked to anyone in the know.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »
Love it. And will the city/SHDC plan anything along the Green Line, especially at Warrensville (perhaps in partnership with John Carroll Univ) and at Green? The ridership on that line is fading and needs a boost of more pedestrian traffic originators and destinations.

BTW this is just south of the Chagrin-Lee intersection...

Shaker council looks at possible EcoDistrict in Moreland neighborhood
Updated on July 11, 2017 at 6:31 PM Posted on July 11, 2017 at 5:57 PM
By Thomas Jewell, special to cleveland.com

SHAKER HEIGHTS, Ohio -- It's still in the discussion stages, but the idea of an "EcoDistrict" in the Moreland neighborhood already looks like a good fit.

Architect Irwin Lowenstein of the Moreland Collaborative described the initiative to City Council Monday as a "design approach to community development, looking at everything as a system, rather than pieces and parts."

And it involves a great deal of input from residents and other stakeholders, including the Moreland Collaborative, which placed in a design contest earlier this year involving infill housing.

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/shaker-heights/index.ssf/2017/07/shaker_council_looks_at_possib.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:18:01 AM by KJP »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2017, 11:06:55 AM »
He said that another Cleveland "First Suburb"  has asked for a proposal focusing on transit-oriented development EcoDistrict.

Anyone know what that other first suburb is?

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2017, 12:34:44 PM »

I ride the Blue line just about every day and , while KJP's photos show the current progress they don't show the next units.  They have already laid the foundations and rough'ed in the plumbing so it would seem that they are going to be erecting those units quite soon.  I could be wrong, but I don't think they will be able to leave the site in such an unbuilt state.

This is all just my impression though and I haven't talked to anyone in the know.

Unfortunately this practice -- build a few homes and test the market -- has been done before.  In fact, the situation of the Livingston townhomes is very similar.  On E. 135 street, immediately south of the intersection with Livingston street near Shaker Square, developers (about 10 years ago) erected 4 attractive townhomes adjacent to the Livingston Apts, which has a number of subsidized units.  As with Onaway Station, the plan was to build several more townhomes and fill the lot.  Unfortunately only those 4 stand today.  But like Onaway Station, next to, and behind, the Livingston units are concrete pads capped water and sewer lines protruding for future townhouses that weren't built.  It appears that's what's happening at Onaway Station, for while the concrete pads are in place and water and sewer lines protrude, there are no more townhomes being erected over the pads.  Let's just hope that demand can push the developers to finish off townhomes over the entire lot rather than those 4 in a tiny corner of it.

Offline account1

• Excavation Site
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
Any news on this project?

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2017, 02:05:25 PM »
^I was by there this past weekend and, as I noted before, there's no progress on any but the 4 or so units constructed in the north western corner of the lot.  There's still no improvement on the larger portion of the lot, other than some concrete pads with water and/or electrical connections for new units.

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
We were assured that we wouldn't have what happened at Avalon Station with a partially build development. 
So the plan is for staggered construction in an effort to get some sales , before moving to the next section. 

I have seen these marketed, but have no idea if any have sold.  Personally I wouldn't be willing to pay low 300,000 for that spot. 
That side of Van Aken is suddenly too close to Cleveland and all of its associated problems to be able to recoup enough of that kind of investment.     

Offline jjames0408

« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2017, 11:09:24 AM »
^I was by there this past weekend and, as I noted before, there's no progress on any but the 4 or so units constructed in the north western corner of the lot.  There's still no improvement on the larger portion of the lot, other than some concrete pads with water and/or electrical connections for new units.
Have you been by there recently? I drove by quickly yesterday and it seemed all of phase one is being worked on but not positive.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »
Have you been by there recently? I drove by quickly yesterday and it seemed all of phase one is being worked on but not positive.

I was last by there Labor Day weekend... I'm not sure what you mean by phase one.  Does it go past the few largely completed structures in the far western corner of the site?  I sure hope so, because just those few units alone look embarrassing.

Offline jjames0408

« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »
Twelve units are included in phase one:  http://townhomesofvanaken.com. I have to go down to my property today anyway so I'll take the square and check it out again at a slower speed.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
^OK, this gives a much better perspective.  Phase 1 still isn't great in terms of size, but at least it encloses the concrete pad I mentioned so you won't see the backs of units from Van Aken.  Let's hope there's some momentum in terms of sales so they won't have an Avalon Station situation.  Thanks for the info.