PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Kent / Kent State University: Development and News  (Read 563 times)

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Re: Kent: Kent State University Developments
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »
Does anyone know the progress or even feasibility of the new architecture building? I hope this gets done it's desperately needed

Supposedly the faculty gave suggestions for Architects they wanted, lots of international big names. I don't know if it has moved past that though. I know there was some talk of a new building being mixed in the budget when they were trying to get the $300 mil or whatever it was for upgrades.

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
^What would happen to Taylor? I sure hope that building is eternally preserved.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:57:04 PM by ink »

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2012, 08:34:24 PM »
Well Taylor Hall can't be touched really without permission from the government since it's a landmark but it HAS to be replaced the architecture classes are spread literally in 4 different places around campus while other majors have classes for their majors in one spot. Taylor hall isn't even exclusive to Architecture majors it is shared with communications, also Taylor Hall lacks a lecture hall which is ridiculous. I feel like even though architecture is one if not Kent's top major we get the short end of the stick so this new architecture building is desperately needed.

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
^I do not doubt that new/improved architecture facilities are needed (I actually looked at KSU for architecture back in the early 2000's and was not impressed with the facilities), but I do not want to lose Taylor in the process. Hopefully something else can be placed inside.

Offline andrew0816

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »
Well Taylor Hall can't be touched really without permission from the government since it's a landmark but it HAS to be replaced the architecture classes are spread literally in 4 different places around campus while other majors have classes for their majors in one spot. Taylor hall isn't even exclusive to Architecture majors it is shared with communications, also Taylor Hall lacks a lecture hall which is ridiculous. I feel like even though architecture is one if not Kent's top major we get the short end of the stick so this new architecture building is desperately needed.
Agreed, Taylor is absolutely horrible and the architecture department really does get neglected at Kent. They need their own building. Let's hope that it isn't completely horrible though, Kent doesn't have a good record with most of it's architecture (Math and Science building, Liquid Crystal Building...pretty much anything that isn't on front campus). I kinda wish they were still considering moving the program up to Cleveland. At least I think that was the plan several years ago.

^I do not doubt that new/improved architecture facilities are needed (I actually looked at KSU for architecture back in the early 2000's and was not impressed with the facilities), but I do not want to lose Taylor in the process. Hopefully something else can be placed inside.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. The May 4th people are very protective of any thing that has to with that event. I mean, have you seen the parking lot? Or the back of the honors college which had to replicate the former hall that stood there?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:50:32 PM by andrew0816 »

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »
Agreed, Taylor is absolutely horrible and the architecture department really does get neglected at Kent. They need their own building. Let's hope that it isn't completely horrible though, Kent doesn't have a good record with most of it's architecture (Math and Science building, Liquid Crystal Building...pretty much anything that isn't on front campus). I kinda wish they were still considering moving the program up to Cleveland. At least I think that was the plan several years ago.

Yes they do which has me worried about this building because I feel the architecture departments buildings should look inviting and cutting edge with natural lighting for the studios for each major because it really makes a difference when you have a an enclosed working space to one with glass openings because it makes a difference in performance when it comes to this at least for me. I also believe the architecture buildings design should be cutting edge, a design that stands out from the rest and a building that represents the university well
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:29:00 PM by McLovin »

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2012, 09:29:39 PM »
Yes they do which has me worried about this building because I feel the architecture departments buildings should look inviting and cutting edge with natural lighting for the studios for each major because it really makes a difference when you have a an enclosed working space to one with glass openings because it makes a difference in performance when it comes to this at least for me. I also believe the architecture buildings design should be cutting edge, a design that stands out from the rest and a building that represents the university well

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
Maybe something like this (top image)

Or this one

Maybe not this extreme as far as glass but have enough glass for natural lighting to make the building feel inviting

Really the design needs to be something that makes a statement and brings Kent State into the 21st century as far as designs

Offline andrew0816

« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2012, 11:08:02 PM »
I like the second/third image (the one with the runners). Not to crazy about the others though. There are a couple of newer buildings at UA, CSU, OSU, and UC that I think would be the perfect style for a new architecture building at Kent State, but I'm too lazy to get pictures to show as examples. :/

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2012, 11:34:52 PM »
I like the second/third image (the one with the runners). Not to crazy about the others though. There are a couple of newer buildings at UA, CSU, OSU, and UC that I think would be the perfect style for a new architecture building at Kent State, but I'm too lazy to get pictures to show as examples. :/
Yeah that's my favorite one as well I actually like this one as well because it has a nice amount of glass while still having different materials involved. (It's from CSU)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:35:22 PM by McLovin »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
My opinion is that Bohlin Cywinski Jackson has the upper hand. Peter Bohlin has spoken at Kent twice in the past decade.

http://www.bcj.com/

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »
My opinion is that Bohlin Cywinski Jackson has the upper hand. Peter Bohlin has spoken at Kent twice in the past decade.

His designs are unique but to me are not fitting for a college campus especially seeing how conservative KSU is with their designs

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »

His designs are unique but to me are not fitting for a college campus especially seeing how conservative KSU is with their designs
Academic buildings is their biggest sector.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »

I take it you're not a fan of the Gehry building at Case!

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »

It's okay but Kent would never do a design that extravagant is what I'm saying

Offline Whipjacka

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »
they tried with the math and computer science building

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2012, 11:23:22 AM »
they tried with the math and computer science building
Didn't turn out to well

Offline Whipjacka

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
final product aside, it is the most recent academic building at kent and it shows they are down to try designs that aren't the mid 60's brick which we see all over campus.

Offline andrew0816

« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »

What about that design is unique? Gehry only has one design in his portfolio, just edited slightly depending on location.

And Whipjaka, I think their failure with the Math and Science building might make them more cautious with anything more "extravagant."

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »

What about that design is unique? Gehry only has one design in his portfolio, just edited slightly depending on location.

And Whipjaka, I think their failure with the Math and Science building might make them more cautious with anything more "extravagant."
The unique part about the Case building is how the snow slides off the roof onto passerby's on the sidewalk.

BCJ is far from over the top, they can appease most people and are fairly timeless designs. I also heard Steven Holl's name thrown in there. Their work is a little more contemporary, but they do a pretty good job of staying away from design that could become dated, like the Zaha Hadid school building mentioned above.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »
Kent has a ton of projects in the beginning stages right now:

Renovations and Additions for the School of Art
Construction Cost: $18.5 million

New Building for the College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability and Technology
Construction Cost: $10.0 million

New Facility for the College of Architecture and Environmental Design
Construction Cost: $31.0 million

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2012, 12:05:34 PM »
Too bad they're not all downtown, or in the area between the downtown and the west edge of the campus so that downtown and the campus are united!
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »

Here is how that project turned out. It has received very good accolades. It was designed by Japanese Architect Fumihiko Maki. It's a good deal bigger though at 163k s.f. The new Arch. building is planned at 120k.

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Kent: Kent State University Developments
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2012, 07:35:42 AM »

Here is how that project turned out. It has received very good accolades. It was designed by Japanese Architect Fumihiko Maki. It's a good deal bigger though at 163k s.f. The new Arch. building is planned at 120k.

This is a final design and when is it planned to open?

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2012, 10:36:03 AM »

No, ha, this is a building at MIT. You had posted a picture of the model saying you liked the building. They haven't selected an Architect for KSU yet.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:37:13 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline rockitect

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
The RFQ for A/E teams for Kent State's new College of Architecture & Environmental Design Building just got released yesterday. Check out here:  http://ci.oaks.ohio.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=VAdu8eiv-d0%3d&tabid=67

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »

No, ha, this is a building at MIT. You had posted a picture of the model saying you liked the building. They haven't selected an Architect for KSU yet.
Haha I forgot I posted that it's a nice building though

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
The RFQ for A/E teams for Kent State's new College of Architecture & Environmental Design Building just got released yesterday. Check out here:  http://ci.oaks.ohio.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=VAdu8eiv-d0%3d&tabid=67
State Funding: $0

Offline Whipjacka

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2012, 07:08:18 PM »
progress from the front green while studying for my Spanish final.

2012-08-10_08-25-42_217 by mmurph46, on Flickr

2012-08-10_08-25-49_492 by mmurph46, on Flickr

2012-08-10_08-25-55_810 by mmurph46, on Flickr

2012-08-10_08-26-26_546 by mmurph46, on Flickr

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2012, 10:48:55 PM »
progress from the front green while studying for my Spanish final.

2012-08-10_08-25-42_217 by mmurph46, on Flickr

2012-08-10_08-25-49_492 by mmurph46, on Flickr

2012-08-10_08-25-55_810 by mmurph46, on Flickr

2012-08-10_08-26-26_546 by mmurph46, on Flickr
Possibly the most UNEXCITING project I've seen in a while...all it is is more grass. The upsetting part is they are raising tuition/adding stupid fees for stuff like this