Author Topic: Cleveland: Demolition Watch  (Read 26422 times)

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Demolition Watch
« Reply #1890 on: April 18, 2018, 02:38:59 PM »
^Good catch. I didn't see that the new space was its own subsmission separate from the demo request. I guess it really was just time to pull the plug on the old building, even with no new use lined up.

Also, the plans for the new development on East 105th suggest the "future park" that will replace the gas station building might be more than just another lawn, even if that's all the demo approval promises. Good chance it's just rendering bluster, but hopefully it can be turned into a useful space.  The demo request also suggests there are USTs and soil contamination (no surprise), so demo and clean up are probably the only practical option.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1891 on: April 20, 2018, 02:08:52 PM »

Over the last couple months there has been more demolition on these agendas than new construction.

To emphasize Mendo's point, look at this list of Design-Review cases for

Northeast -- http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/listDR.php?D=NE
Southeast -- http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/listDR.php?pageNum_rsBRD=0&totalRows_rsBRD=310&D=SE
East -- http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/listDR.php?D=EAST

The other five design districts all have many more renovations and some new construction than demolitions. The east side, except for the Euclid Corridor (which includes UC), continues to empty out.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1892 on: April 20, 2018, 02:12:45 PM »
Attention Mr. Litt:  Greenspace is not architecture.  It is a lack thereof.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1897 on: July 17, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »
Shame to see this happening.  Seems like major bookings have been scarce there for a long time.  Looking through that PD retrospective, one might believe the place closed down 20 years ago.

It bugs me that neither Lakewood nor Cleveland has done anything to promote this stretch of Detroit and all its concert clubs.  It's not too late, most of them are still there.  Let's do it. 

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1898 on: July 17, 2018, 09:33:53 PM »
Shame to see this happening.  Seems like major bookings have been scarce there for a long time.  Looking through that PD retrospective, one might believe the place closed down 20 years ago.

It bugs me that neither Lakewood nor Cleveland has done anything to promote this stretch of Detroit and all its concert clubs.  It's not too late, most of them are still there.  Let's do it. 

Live shows are nowhere near as important to the music scene as they were in the pre-internet age.   It may just be supersaturation.

Online AmrapinVA

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1899 on: July 18, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
The old Parmadale orphanage complex is coming down to create a large park in the center of the suburb.

https://www.cleveland.com/parma/index.ssf/2018/07/cuyahoga_county_awards_13_mill.html

Also, saw this in the article:

The (Parma) Board of Control's recently awarded funding amount also includes the demolition of four blighted Parma properties located at 7259 Ridge Road, 11599 Kader Ave., 4418 Pershing Ave. and 7407 Dorothy Ave

Haven't had a chance to look to see if any of those properties are little gems.

Note: Looks like this belong in the Beyond the 3 C's: Demolition. My bad. Mods feel free to move.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:28:04 AM by AmrapinVA »

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1900 on: July 19, 2018, 06:45:42 AM »

Live shows are nowhere near as important to the music scene as they were in the pre-internet age.   It may just be supersaturation.

Sure, but places like Nashville and Austin still use it as the centerpiece of their appeal.  I would say that climate, plus investment in the Rock Hall and the image surrounding it, makes live music venues even more important for Cleveland.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1901 on: July 19, 2018, 10:46:30 AM »
Sure, but places like Nashville and Austin still use it as the centerpiece of their appeal.  I would say that climate, plus investment in the Rock Hall and the image surrounding it, makes live music venues even more important for Cleveland.

Yet the City of Cleveland makes it as difficult as anywhere for live music with admissions taxes and withholding on non-resident artists. 

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1902 on: July 19, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »

Yet the City of Cleveland makes it as difficult as anywhere for live music with admissions taxes and withholding on non-resident artists. 

^This.

^^Having some clubs is certainly important.  But the numbers are never going to be close to the same.  Closing will outnumber openings and places that are set up to host will only end up doing so rarely.   If ever.  We used to, but it does not pay for itself and has not for some time.