PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: Flats Developments (Non-Stonebridge or FEB)  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Flats Developments (Non-Stonebridge or FEB)
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 10:02:18 AM »
This is the site I pictured as well, but is this south of the Carter Road Bridge?  Certainly, the article could've been wrong.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »
It's southwest of the Carter Road bridge. And yes, the Strip District is west, to the left of the Rapid bridge (along Fall Street):

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 10:11:21 AM »
Wow, the strip district sure is attracting a lot of residential development! Maybe Larry Flynt will sell the air-rights above his new club for some additional residential towers.  ;)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 10:12:47 AM »
Dammit! Crain's scooped me on the condo project proposed at Columbus Road and Center Street!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 01:05:43 PM by KJP »
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 10:14:51 AM »
Ugh, I remember when the funky old B&O [?] freight depot was demoed to create that lovely parking lot, about 10 years ago I think.

I know nothing is left to be demoed for this project, but anyone else get a little worries about the flats?  My nightmare is that averything cool and old (which frankly is what makes the flats cool IMHO- it ain't just the brown river) is going to get knocked down.  The west side of Columbus, for instance, is a great stretch of very old industrial/commercial blocks.  Not too many of those left these days...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:16:13 AM by StrapHanger »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 10:16:35 AM »
mods, can we merge? pretty please.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:16:58 AM by 3231 »

Offline theguv

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 10:19:53 AM »
Does anyone have access to a master plan, city of Cleveland or otherwise, for the Flats area?  As 3231 mentioned, there are now 4 significant projects planned for the flats, yet I've seen little (aside from a cursory land use plan from Building Cleveland By Design) in the way of a plan regarding how all these projects will interact with each other and with the existing land uses.  If Cleveland City Council is approving these projects, is it based on an existing plan or simply on the concept of highest use of available land?

I, for one, am very concerned about how all of these projects will interact with the towpath and existing light rail, as well as how they might be best served in the future by newly constructed/re-purposed multi-modal connections, i.e. bike lanes/shared lanes, bike/walk paths, sidewalks, bus/rail, etc.  Is there a plan for this?  And if not, can we at UrbanOhio help to spur the creation of one??

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 10:23:17 AM »
ah, so the Carter Road Bridge is the one that says Old River Road on it?  And this is actually aligned to true north, which always throws me off.  I usually think of our east-west streets as actually being east-west...

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 10:25:22 AM »
I'm not sure about that site outline. A check of the interactive planning map at the Planning Commission's web site shows Columbus Road Realty's land not going farther north than the intersection of Center Street and Columbus Road. Yet the parking lot looks like it's spread over onto Sherwin Williams' land.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 01:07:24 PM by KJP »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 10:28:07 AM »
Is there a plan for this?

Why yes, I do believe that there is an organization that will be taking a good look at this. ;) That organization is represented on UO.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 10:41:37 AM »
Does anyone have access to a master plan, city of Cleveland or otherwise, for the Flats area?  As 3231 mentioned, there are now 4 significant projects planned for the flats, yet I've seen little (aside from a cursory land use plan from Building Cleveland By Design) in the way of a plan regarding how all these projects will interact with each other and with the existing land uses.  If Cleveland City Council is approving these projects, is it based on an existing plan or simply on the concept of highest use of available land?

I, for one, am very concerned about how all of these projects will interact with the towpath and existing light rail, as well as how they might be best served in the future by newly constructed/re-purposed multi-modal connections, i.e. bike lanes/shared lanes, bike/walk paths, sidewalks, bus/rail, etc.  Is there a plan for this?  And if not, can we at UrbanOhio help to spur the creation of one??

Great post Guv!!!

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 10:48:43 AM »
There was a question about an over plan for the flats in the Cleveland Thread. I looked through all of the plans the city has on their site and they only have the individual plans for East Bank and Scranton Pen.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • FB
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 10:52:15 AM »
The city has nothing on record re: plan for the whole Flats.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/cwp/dist3links.htm

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 10:54:41 AM »
mods, can we merge? pretty please.

do you want in contained in this thread, or to keep the thread outside?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 10:55:41 AM »
can we add it to the thread that KJP created?

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • FB
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 10:57:10 AM »
edit****************

image and post removed due to duplication after merge

please resume your normal viewing habits
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:14:28 PM by musky »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 11:26:09 AM »
The Flats Oxbow Association is developing a masterplan, but I don't know where they are in the process.

Offline Avogadro

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 12:05:58 PM »
The Flats Oxbow Association is developing a masterplan, but I don't know where they are in the process.
They're in the midst of data collection, and they've (Flats Oxbow and Jim Boniface) have already interviewed dozens of stakeholders.  I think that they're aiming at having the draft plan together by this Autumn.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 12:17:21 PM »
I've heard that the Flats-Oxbow is pretty much a useless organization (and most people in the Flats realize that). I don't think that their master plan would necessarily carry much weight.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2007, 01:03:51 PM »
If they don't have a design-review panel, then I can see your point.

Offline gavster

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2007, 06:39:28 PM »
add this to the exciting new cleveland developments. in ten years you wont recognize this city. keep em coming!

Offline peabody99

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2007, 06:50:02 PM »
they do have design review

Offline peabody99

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2007, 06:52:21 PM »
Wow, the strip district sure is attracting a lot of residential development! Maybe Larry Flynt will sell the air-rights above his new club for some additional residential towers.  ;)
NOW you are talking!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline peabody99

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2007, 07:00:24 PM »

It sounds like a long range plan it is overdue...I could have sworn there was something of flatsooxbow site but cannot find anything. You are very right guv...I agree the potential should not be ruined by haphazardly piecing everything together and tainted by incompatable uses.  Lets do it right! I think current  residents need to be part of the stakeholder group.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:01:55 PM by peabody99 »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2007, 07:10:51 PM »

I've heard that the only keeping the Flats Oxbow Association alive is that the executive director is independently weather and does not charge members fees to keep the association alive. Additionally, I read in a recent news letter that the design review of the Flats Oxbow approved awnings for the renovated cantina building. It went on to say that the developer nor the city/public do not want the awnings. What's with that??

Offline jamiec

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2007, 07:23:19 PM »
^^ Just a friendly suggestion I guess!

Offline peabody99

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2007, 07:26:10 PM »

I've heard that the only keeping the Flats Oxbow Association alive is that the executive director is independently weather and does not charge members fees to keep the association alive. Additionally, I read in a recent news letter that the design review of the Flats Oxbow approved awnings for the renovated cantina building. It went on to say that the developer nor the city/public do not want the awnings. What's with that??
I read that too. Misprint? or was it something that is required due to some code? I know I paid my members dues- maybe my $5 a year is what keeps it alive!

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2007, 01:37:05 PM »
I don't why I'm even posting this, since I got my ass scooped by Crain's on the story. But here it is anyway....

July 19, 2007
West Side Sun News
High-rise condominiums proposed for waterfront
By Ken Prendergast
Staff Writer

When the real estate market gets dry, just add water.
   Thats what a partnership led by developer Russell Berzin is doing by proposing four high-rise condominium buildings next to the Cuyahoga River in the Flats. The $50 million development of 265 for-sale housing units would be sought in phases, with construction of the first building starting as early as spring 2008.
   City Councils Planning Zoning and Development Committee last week recommended rezoning nearly four acres of land owned by Columbus Road Realty at Columbus Road and Center Street. Their recommendation follows an approval by the City Planning Commission.
   Columbus Road Realty was formed by real estate investors James Breen, Benjamin Cappadora, Joel Cole, Michael Miller and Raymond Schmidlin Jr. Cole is president of Network Parking. They bought the land in 1999 from Sherwin Williams Co. but has remained a parking lot.
   City Council will have to approve the rezoning change, from general industry to a relatively new zoning classification downtown residential, which allows other uses on the same property such as restaurants or retail. More than 600 housing units have been built and sold in the Flats with another 1,500 housing units planned among the Stonebridge and Flats East Bank developments.
   No housing market? Give me a break, said Ward 13 Councilman Joe Cimperman. Lakefront housing and riverfront housing is where its at.
   Ive learned over my career theres (marketing) buttons that can be pushed when water is involved, said Berzin. Well break ground right after enough sales contracts are in hand. Our most optimistic path is to be breaking ground in the spring, but it could be a year later.
   He has built housing in Lake County, Cleveland Heights and Naples, Fla. This will be Berzins first development in downtown Cleveland. Why now?
   Theres a need for quality housing downtown, he said. It (the site) is within steps to the federal building, the site for Canal Basin Park, Tower City and what could potentially be the convention center.
   City and Ohio Canal Corridor officials are putting together a funding package for building the Canal Basin Park, a 20-acre area between Settlers Landing and the Carter Road bridge. The city committed $3 million for the park and is seeking additional grants, Cimperman said.
   Paul Volpe, president of City Architecture Inc., said planning for the condo towers is still in the early stages. Envisioned are four glassy buildings ranging in from eight to 20 stories tall and built atop low-level parking structures.
   Despite the ground-level parking, he said the buildings will be designed with whats called a street presence. Thats planning parlance for larger structures having publicly accessible amenities along the sidewalk, like cafes and shops.
   Its a very important piece of riverfront in the Flats, Volpe said. The views are phenomenal. Its fabulous.

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2007, 04:42:48 PM »
Theres a need for quality housing downtown, he said. It (the site) is within steps to the federal building, the site for Canal Basin Park, Tower City and what could potentially be the convention center.

and the best nudie bar district this side of the Mississippi!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2007, 07:29:46 PM »
fyi:

The City has its sights set on 2014 for a Canal Basin opening. They don't want to open it until the towpath reaches downtown.