Author Topic: Cleveland: Public Square Redesign  (Read 43733 times)

Offline PittsburgoDelendaEst

• Dirt Lot 0'
Re: Cleveland: Public Square Redesign
« Reply #3270 on: June 14, 2018, 01:49:42 PM »
if Mayor Jackson is concerned of the threat of vehicular terrorism aren't Malls A, B, and C just as vulnerable?  Does anyone know what is the reason the crosswalk has been shortened to 24 feet? 

Yes they are just as vulnerable, but terrorists want to kill as many people with their vehicles as they can, not make tire tracks on rarely-traversed grass lawns.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3271 on: June 14, 2018, 02:08:47 PM »
if Mayor Jackson is concerned of the threat of vehicular terrorism aren't Malls A, B, and C just as vulnerable?  Does anyone know what is the reason the crosswalk has been shortened to 24 feet? 

Hell Public Square is still vulnerable!  A dump truck at full speed from the Ontario side would be able to launch anywhere into the square.  Jackson is totally perpetuating the security dog and pony show.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #3272 on: June 14, 2018, 09:53:51 PM »
Sometimes I think the only way to have a truly secure public square is to not have a public square at all. Anytime you have large groups of people together, it is going to be insecure. There may be options for making things totally secure, but I can't imagine them making life enjoyable.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline simplythis

• Rhodes Tower 629'

Online dave2017

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #3274 on: June 16, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »
I am glad to hear that the local news is beginning to address the oversights to yet another attempt to modify the flawed redesign of Public Square. Interesting that Councilman Kerry McCormack is the only on eta comment on the lack of bike lanes from The City.  Shouldn't Anthony Coyne be held responsible since he is the head of the Group Plan Commission overseeing the design elements from Field Operations?

Online dave2017

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #3275 on: July 09, 2018, 01:10:31 AM »
I was playing around with another option that would make the center area of Public Square safer and would include the reactivation of the promenades as crosswalk paths.  The need for the bollards would be obsolete. Replace them and define the center crosswalk with raised bed planters that mimic the designs of the others.  These add more greenery/planting areas and protects the pedestrians from the threat of terrorism from vehicles.  The added feature for safety and helps to define the center areas for use would be the addition of full barrier crossing arms, aka train traffic arms.   I also don't see why bikes would be banned from Superior. 

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3276 on: July 09, 2018, 09:29:22 AM »
Call me a pessimist (aka a "realist" in the city of Cleveland) I'd give the train traffic arms about 2 weeks before an RTA driver took one out.  Then it would take the city of Cleveland a week to show up and duct-tape it back together, and at least a year to actually replace it. 

Offline TPH2

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3277 on: July 09, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »
I'd rather have bollards than train traffic arms.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3278 on: July 09, 2018, 10:43:13 AM »
I'd rather have bollards than train traffic arms.

*Googles "what is a bollard"*

Offline jws

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #3279 on: July 09, 2018, 11:07:18 AM »
The traffic arms are a bit much IMO. I don't get why we can't just have the original crosswalks as well as bollards. It's as if the city thinks people have never seen a crosswalk before.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:09:37 AM by jws »

Offline ethlaw

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #3280 on: July 09, 2018, 11:26:23 AM »
The original design was perfectly fine. Frank Jackson really screwed this thing up.