PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Little Italy: Development and News  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Little Italy Developments
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2010, 01:32:40 PM »
Goes to show that, outside of the downtown core, the market for townhomes, rowhouses and cluster homes is much stronger than condo buildings.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2010, 01:42:11 PM »
^Judging from the Avenue District, that may even be true downtown.

Offline Hootenany

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2010, 01:56:45 PM »
^I wouldn't say that's true throughout downtown.  I think it's more an issue of the location.  There just isn't much there to draw people to the area.  Projects in the WHD seem to enjoy quite a bit of success (Pinnacle, Cloak Factory, etc...) and apartments/condos on E4th and up and down Euclid seem to sell very well too.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2010, 02:06:04 PM »
^ We see eye to eye again :).  That is why I said "core".... I consider the Ave District to be more on the fringe (que the onslaught of responses) and, for high priced condos, very poorly placed.

More relevant to the current topic, does anyone know whether Circle 118 is experiencing similar success.  Just judging from the exterior design and location, I personally like Coltman much, much better.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:12:52 PM by Hts44121 »

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »
when referring to the avenue district... let's not forget that banks are making it almost impossible for buyers to get a loan in a condo building these days.  they are much more lenient towards townhomes, clusterhomes, etc.  Most of the "success stories" of downtown condos were projects that were sold before the financial collapse.  and before said collapse, the avenue district sold very well...

And now back to our little italy success :)

Offline AJ93

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2010, 02:24:44 PM »
I was under the impression (practicing lawyers, please correct me) that an easement carries with the deed, unless a specific time period is listed and/or both current landowners agree to let it expire (with consideration). What are Geis, et al contending, then? Some version of adverse possession?

I go back to the old adage, 'vested in fee, and a man ye be...." Y'arr. Tis true. (that last thing has no meaning whatsoever. But how many times do you get the chance to rhyme about property law?)

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2010, 02:25:11 PM »
I agree that the Avenue district loft building is on "the fringe" and very poorly located for its target market, which is why they're having trouble moving units for the prices they're seeking.

And yes, of course people here like townhouse/rowhouse arrangements.  This is a major city.  Instead of comparing their popularity to that of large condo buildings... I'd compare to that of detached single-family homes.  The larger buildings are more appropriate for rentals rather than condos, while detached homes are more appropriate outiside city limits.  We need a lot more townhouses and rowhouses in Cleveland.  It should surprise no one that they're generally well-received.

Offline Cleveland

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2010, 04:02:19 PM »
Agreed

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2010, 04:16:29 PM »
Let's keep this thread to actual discussion of Little Italy's development projects.  If someone wants to start a thread on general consumer preference or finance by housing type, that's great, but not here.

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »
according to the article, if Geis offered to sell the easement a year or so ago, that means he must recognize it as still valid an not defunct cause of lack of use.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2010, 06:09:37 AM »
wow...what a deal!!

La Dolce Vita building in Little Italy sold at court-ordered auction

By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer
November 02, 2009, 5:44PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A high-profile building in Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood sold at a court-ordered auction Monday, ending a foreclosure process that began in early 2005.

Lender JDI Murray Hill LLC entered the only bid -- $333,334 -- for the three-story building that houses La Dolce Vita bistro.

MORE AT CLEVELAND.COM http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2009/11/la_dolce_vita_building_in_litt.html

*UPDATE*

La Dolce Vita bistro owner buys his restaurant's building in Little Italy
By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer February 02, 2010, 6:17PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Restaurateur Terry Tarantino has purchased the building that houses his La Dolce Vita bistro in Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood.

Property records show that Tarantino has paid $725,000 for the three-story building. The sale closed today -- barely three months after the property changed hands at a court-ordered auction.

"Right now I have some aspirations," Tarantino said, adding that he wants to see whether the building can be converted into a small hotel. "It's got a great location. And it's got a pretty good restaurant underneath."

MORE AT
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/02/la_dolce_vita_bistro_owner_buy.html
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:10:26 AM by MuRrAy HiLL »

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2010, 12:11:37 PM »
27 Coltman townhomes:

Offline Oldmanladyluck

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2010, 12:16:30 PM »
Looking Good!

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
Much better than Circle 118... IMO... even if I am not terribly fond of garage in the front design.

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2010, 01:22:58 PM »
Coltman does not have garage in front (it is in the rear), although in the renderings they did have some rediculous looking parking in front.
Coltman is pretty much the only new construction we looked at and liked in Cleveland.

Note the layout:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:28:06 PM by willyboy »

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »
the "ridiculous parking" is part of that easement dispute discussed above...

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2010, 02:00:05 PM »
Ok, I wasnt sure exactly the area in question.  That setback just seems totally unecessary and dumb.  They could have been built up to the street (to come up to that corner unit) and had additional parking in the back if they wanted.   

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2010, 02:03:15 PM »
^if you're talking about the strip of parking spaces... technically, that is the "street", those spaces were already in existence and not owned by the developer. I think they were really just dealing with the footprint available to them.  At the crux of that argument is actually that the owner of that land doesn't want residents or their guests using those spaces.  The actual parking for the units is in the rear of the buildings...

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2010, 10:15:56 PM »
Coltman is pretty much the only new construction we looked at and liked in Cleveland.

What new construction did you look at that you didn't like?  To keep this on topic, what was it that you liked about Coltman that the other places did not offer?

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »
It was about the best quality (materials) and design that we have seen.  Interiors a little more unique. 
Plus theres no vinyl siding and it wasnt designed by city architecture like most everything else. :wink: 

Oh, the majority of the other stuff we have seen just seems cheaply constructed out of cheap materials.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:32:35 PM by willyboy »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2010, 10:06:51 AM »
Ok, I wasnt sure exactly the area in question.  That setback just seems totally unecessary and dumb.  They could have been built up to the street (to come up to that corner unit) and had additional parking in the back if they wanted.   

Built to the street? what! Sounds like you are trying create a sense of urbanism, that's ridiculous!

It was about the best quality (materials) and design that we have seen.  Interiors a little more unique. 
Plus theres no vinyl siding and it wasnt designed by city architecture like most everything else. :wink: 

bingo!

Offline Confiteordeo

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2010, 01:37:53 PM »
FWIW, I've walked past the units on Coltman that are already constructed, and they are built up to the street (and interact with it nicely.)  The ones on E. 119... I suppose they could have been built up to the street, but for what purpose? There's nothing on the other side of E. 119, except for more parking and railroad tracks.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2010, 06:52:06 AM »
FWIW, I've walked past the units on Coltman that are already constructed, and they are built up to the street (and interact with it nicely.)  The ones on E. 119... I suppose they could have been built up to the street, but for what purpose? There's nothing on the other side of E. 119, except for more parking and railroad tracks.

good point, and yes, the one's in MayDay's pic do see to be right up to the street parking.

Offline mikel

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2010, 02:22:52 PM »
Does anyone know what is going into the corner of Murray Hill and Mayfield?  There were people there today working on it.

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »
Flannery's

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
^an Irish pub is coming to Little Italy?

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2010, 02:43:39 PM »
There goes the neighborhood...

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2010, 03:03:40 PM »
Sorry, it was a joke.  I guess I needed a sarcasmiley.

Offline FerrariEnzo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2010, 03:08:13 PM »
I was going to say!  Danny Green took out the mafia but theres still enough community pride/regulators down there to keep us "Micks" out!

Offline mikel

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2010, 09:35:05 PM »
I think the corner of Murray Hill and Mayfield is going to be a restaurant but not totally sure on that one.  I also passed by the old folk guitar center on the corner of Cornell and Random rd..  A guy was working on it and said they were opening up a restaurant (he did not seem 100% confident with his answer) but he also mentioned that the place was a mess and would need a lot of work.  The folk guitar building is pretty ugly right now but is on a nice piece of real estate because everyone that lives in the heights and goes up Edgehill rd. has to pass it.  It would be nice to see that improved.  I was also wondering if anybody has info on the industrial building on Random rd. that they took the windows out of in the fall.  What is this going to be?  Are these plans still in the works?

http://www.littleitalyredevelopment.org/masterplan.htm#singer