PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Little Italy: Development and News  (Read 6988 times)

Offline FerrariEnzo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Cleveland: Little Italy: Development and News
« on: December 12, 2005, 08:12:55 PM »
A thread just for Clevelands Murray Hill neighborhood, why not?  We all know of the recent completion of the town homes that are as I recall actualy in Cleveland Heights... another project is underway, Mayfield Lofts.  You all know the lot, right after the tracks overpass across from the playground with the terrible mural on the wall...  Getting some life finaly! Anyone have any articles or info?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:17:34 PM by ColDayMan »

Offline FerrariEnzo

Re: Cleveland: Little Italy Developments
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 08:16:19 PM »
Quote from developers site:
"Mayfield Lofts Condominiums is a proposed project to be built at Mayfield Road and E. 119th Street, on the Western edge of Little Italy.   The luxury flats will feature 1-3 bedroom, 1-2 baths, indoor parking, and 15 year tax abatement.  Prices are expected to start at $190,000."

Same developer that did the Edgehill Road Townhomes, LArchmere Loft Condos and is now working on this project as well as "Larchemere Court Townhouses".

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 09:19:29 PM »
FerrariEnzo,

Murray Hill is a street in Little Italy, you post could be confusing to some. 

I'm pretty sure the Villa Carabelli Townhomes are in both cleveland and cleveland heights.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 10:53:32 AM »
Little Italy just finished their master plan. Its up on their website.

http://www.littleitalyredevelopment.org/

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 12:21:19 PM »
where's this action that you speak of?  that sign's been up for quite some time and I haven't seen anything new!

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 12:24:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Villa Carabelli Townhomes are in both cleveland and cleveland heights.

Actually, according to my records, both the Villa Carabelli and Edghill Townhomes are completely in Cleveland.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 12:24:49 PM by Mister Good Day »

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 12:52:04 PM »
The master plan seems a little "unambitious" to me.  Seems like their main concerns were parking and making sure that they don't change any more than they absolutely are forced to.  Not that either of those are a surprise.  The Mayfield streetscape would be nice though.

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 01:53:52 PM »
the mayfield lofts (as far as i know) is simply the developer putting up a sign to gague interest. I don't think any concrete plans are in place.....

Offline buildingcincinnati

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 10:33:39 PM »
From the 1/7/06 PD:

Little Italy improvement plan gets OK
Mayfield makeover key component

Saturday, January 07, 2006
Tom Breckenridge
Plain Dealer Reporter

Little Italy is planning a big future, with a Mayfield Road makeover, more parking and a resolve to upgrade its housing stock.

The Cleveland Planning Commission on Friday adopted the neighborhood's new master plan, forged after months of sometimes-tense public debate, with a focus on preserving the Old World charm and busy street scenes that distinguish Little Italy...

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/1136626464227560.xml&coll=2
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:35:09 AM by McCleveland »

Offline smackem81

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 12:55:50 AM »
"Kristosik said he planned to meet with Little Italy merchants Monday, when he would discuss the possibility of multicultural events."

Ugh if we get 'other' cultural events in the neighborhood, then it becomes less and less italy

Offline FerrariEnzo

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 11:06:38 AM »
I agree, whats the point of treasuring 'little italy' and trying to have a kawanza festival there at the same time... it isnt going to work.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 11:41:37 AM »
I agree, whats the point of treasuring 'little italy' and trying to have a kawanza festival there at the same time... it isnt going to work.

I don't think that is what they mean.  Nor would I want that.  I get the feeling they mean opening up Little Itally to its cooperate neighbors and get them to invest in their residential neighborhood. 

I would like the area to become a little more "open" and "accepting" as people of color still don't feel comfortable in the area.  I am in NO WAY saying everyone in LI is a racist, but the "wall of" silence around the neighborhood has to come down.

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 04:47:57 PM »
more parking? ride the fucking train/bus you lazy suburbanite....

as for the housing, it is beyond piss-poor shape. some good code enforcement would do wonders

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 05:46:58 PM »
From the Free Times:

Cinema Park-Adiso: Little Italy weighs saving an old theater against adding much-needed parking     

By Michael Gill

Sheldon Wigod began his turn with the Mayfield Theater in 1976. Back then the professor and entrepreneur could sell out 500 seats by showing classics like American in Paris, Singing in the Rain and Charlie Chaplin movies. For 10 years, the movie house was the heartbeat of Little Italy. People parked in a lot up the hill, where new housing now stands.

But in the '80s, Wigod says, VCRs and cable TV "basically killed revival houses all over the country." The Mayfield went on the ropes. Wigod played more avant-garde films to draw crowds, but one night in 1986 after a screening of "some sort of Israeli gay movie, or something" he closed the doors for good.

In the 20 years since then, galleries, restaurants, coffee shops and bakeries have made the neighborhood buzz with commerce. So when the Little Italy Redevelopment Corp. began a master-planning process in 2003, planners thought it made sense to replace the aging movie house built in 1923 and recognized by the Cleveland Landmarks Commission with something decidedly less romantic: an elaborate parking deck. Architect Paul Volpe, who consulted with the CDC on the master plan, suggests retail on the first floor with a ramp behind it, housing on the second floor with parking and another ramp, and a third level completely devoted to cars. They'd save the marquee and portions of the facade, if possible.

But property owners say no one asked them what they thought.

"No one contacted me about that plan," says Terry Tarantino, who owns the theater building. "No one sat down with me to tell me what it's about."

Tarantino opened his restaurant La Dolce Vita 17 years ago. With neighborhood charm and opera singers to serenade weekend dinner customers, he built it into a landmark of his own. He has ideas about the future of the historic theater, too, and how it fits with the rest of the neighborhood. And it doesn't include parking.
"Let's pretend someone offered me a ridiculous amount of money to make it into parking," he says. "I still wouldn't want to do it. It's not about the money."

No one denies that the neighborhood could use more parking, but the difference of opinion over how to get it points to profoundly different perspectives on the economic development of neighborhoods.

the thing goes on for a bit at http://www.freetimes.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3231&POSTNUKESID=a215a1a0b4ccf04303f74006f3efab66
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 05:47:40 PM by Mister Good Day »

Offline smackem81

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 06:36:16 PM »
Sweet idea would be for it to become the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin. Beer, dining, movies. It seems like a good way to rebrand old movie theatres. Make the whole thing an event out of watching a movie instead of seeing a movie.

http://www.originalalamo.com/ui/default.aspx

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 07:02:06 PM »
just like McMenamin's in Portland, OR...I like

Offline j73

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 07:39:16 PM »

Actually, according to my records, both the Villa Carabelli and Edghill Townhomes are completely in Cleveland.

I think MTS is the winner on this one - according to the Future Heights site, half of the units are in Cleveland and half are in Cleveland Hts.  If I remember correctly, all the Cleveland ones sold quickly b/c they had more generous tax abatements. 

Offline j73

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 07:43:45 PM »
Murray Hill is a street in Little Italy, you post could be confusing to some. 

Murray Hill is the name of the street, was the name of the school, is the name of the physical hill and is often the nickname for the whole neighborhood, as in the "Murray Hill Art Walk", etc.  I've always heard the names used synonymously, but have always preferred "Murray Hill" - every town has a Little Italy.  Not much charm in that.  Doesn't really matter either way...

Offline j73

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
more parking? ride the fucking train/bus you lazy suburbanite....

as for the housing, it is beyond piss-poor shape. some good code enforcement would do wonders

Just quoted Pope b/c I liked his post and it's related to the redevelopment plan, highlights of which you can find here --> http://www.littleitalyredevelopment.org/masterplan.htm

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 10:43:35 PM »
I've often felt that a dinner theater concept would work well there. Why not some productions on the immigrant experience of coming to America? If you've seen Godfather II, there's a scene from the 1910s in a playhouse where the Italian immigrant experience is portrayed. That's one of my favorite scenes in any movie, and would pay to enjoy a production like that while served some authentic Italian food. Order your food before the show starts, have it served at intermission, and consume it during Act II. I'm there.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 10:59:31 PM »

I think MTS is the winner on this one - according to the Future Heights site, half of the units are in Cleveland and half are in Cleveland Hts.  If I remember correctly, all the Cleveland ones sold quickly b/c they had more generous tax abatements. 

I stand corrected.  I was just having this conversation again with a friend who said she thought it was split and I checked the City GIS site again and found out where I'd made my mistake...

I still believe that the Edgehill Townhomes are all in the City of Cleveland, though.

Online StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 09:43:36 AM »
Sweet idea would be for it to become the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin. Beer, dining, movies. It seems like a good way to rebrand old movie theatres. Make the whole thing an event out of watching a movie instead of seeing a movie.

http://www.originalalamo.com/ui/default.aspx

Isn't that sort of what the Centrum has become-at least on some nights?  http://www.pluggedincleveland.com/view.cgi?num=10404  And Cedar Lee has a full bar, no?  I suppose it's about the atmosphere, though.  And frankly, I prefer the sneaky feeling of smuggling outside beer into a movie theater...

Are there any big parking areas left in Little Italy?  Would people be willing to park down in the UHHS garages and walk up the hill?  I know that Landmark, one of the previous Centrum owners, complained that patrons were too lazy to walk there from the parking deck on Coventry (a really short walk) which worries me a bit.

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 11:24:31 AM »
^parking is pretty much non-existant in little italy now.

Various restaurants have small lots, typically no more than 10-15 spots. Primo vino is the lone exception with capacity for about 40 cars. On street parking has always been hard, and now with art season kicking up. Irregardless, i stand by my previous statement of fat and lazy suburbanites.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 11:24:46 AM by the pope »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 11:33:27 AM »
^Does Primo Vino own the lot that is across the street and backs up to the cemetery?  That would be a great place for a few townhomes (if you knocked down that dumpy looking house on the corner and stretched the development onto Mayfield.)

I find it very strange that the local CDC would not even attempt to contact the owner of the theater before suggesting that it become a parking deck.  Little Italy is a small place and Dolce Vita is a big fish--you think that they would have at least talked to the guy about it before telling the public what he should do with his property.  On the other hand, I have the feeling that the owner isn't really trying to think of any good ideas for the building.  Wine bar? C'mon, one just opened up across the street.  If you have a theater space, you have the perfect opportunity to do something unique.  By the way, I noticed that the parking lot to the immediate east of the theater had a for-sale sign infront of it. 

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 12:44:25 PM »
What's happening with the big old building on Random Road that currently serves as a gigantic one-story parking garage with 30 foot ceilings?  I'd much rather see a deck added to that and the outside spruced up a bit than mess with a landmark building in the heart of the commercial district's main drag. 

Ideally, I'd love to see the Random Road site developed with some townhomes in front and 3 levels of parking in back...kind of like the plans for Front Avenue in the Flats East Bank.  The garage would provide a buffer between the busy railroad tracks and the residential component, in addition to adding much-needed parking.  The townhomes would add to the residential character of the street.  The whole thing would remove a neighborhood eyesore.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 12:45:22 PM by Mister Good Day »

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 01:20:13 PM »
^Does Primo Vino own the lot that is across the street and backs up to the cemetery?  That would be a great place for a few townhomes (if you knocked down that dumpy looking house on the corner and stretched the development onto Mayfield.)

Yes they own the lot at 126th and mayfield, then the larger one behind the dumpy house. The dumpy house has a dumpy owner. The building was condemned by the locals. Something is tied up in court, but we are really just waiting for it to catch fire in the near future. Knowing the owners of primo vino. I don't think selling the lots is in the near future (2-3 years). However, both of them are probably getting closer to retirement, and would likely package the three lots with primos gargantuan building (three floors) and probably get a good price to retire on. (this is all complete speculation by the author)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 01:20:42 PM by the pope »

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »
furthermore, tarrantino, the owner of la dolce vita and the theater, doesn't exactly have the best reputation in the neighborhood

Offline j73

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 08:41:55 AM »
^how so?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 07:04:55 AM »
New development!! And this one is transit supportive.

You may have seen the signs along Mayfield for this mid-rise condo tower in Little Italy, next to the proposed site of the relocated Red Line station. Well, it's coming before the Landmarks Commission today. The reason for needing approval of this commission is because Little Italy is a designated historic district.

The location...

Close up so can read the text...

Scaling....

More detail (scroll right)....

Floor plan...

Close up so can read stuff....

Existing conditions...

Elevations of Mayfield Lofts...

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:06:13 AM by KJP »
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 07:36:14 AM »
Very nice.