PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Detroit-Shoreway / Gordon Square Arts District: Development and News  (Read 11169 times)

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Yay for TOD. Next, let's get rid of the used car dealership across West 61st. Then redevelop what looks like a former bank at 6330 Lorain Ave. Info shows it was built in 1900 but I can't tell what it was for sure. I found a photo of it from 1941 but the building has a "for sale" sign on it: http://cplorg.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p4014coll18/id/6243/rv/singleitem

Any way, back to TOD....

Cuyahoga County‏Verified account @CuyahogaCounty  5m5 minutes ago
#AspenPlace groundbreaking - affordable housing @DetroitShoreway with access to @GCRTA, making an easy commute to work! #TogetherWeThrive

America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
  Also, I had heard sometime ago way before Terrestrial was built that the rent the landlord wanted was insane.  This was from a fast casual hybrid that was kicking the tires on the place.  So yeah, I guess I'm just wasting pixels here.

Still cant beat Lat 41 for the Menage a trois for sat brunch.    Eggs/potatoes/toast/sausage AND bacon/coffee...  all for $5.99

Only $4.95 during the week! 

[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:32:09 AM by Clefan98 »

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
^Below are three explanations of TOD from reputable mainstream sources.  According to two of them, Aspen Place is not TOD.  According to the third one it might be, but it would not count as "well-done" TOD. 

Wikipedia definition:

"Transit-oriented development, or TOD, is a type of community development that includes a mixture of housing, office, retail and/or other amenities integrated into a walkable neighborhood and located within a half-mile of quality public transportation."

TOD.org definition:

"Also known as TOD, it's the creation of compact, walkable, pedestrian-oriented, mixed-use communities centered around high quality train systems. This makes it possible to live a lower-stress life without complete dependence on a car for mobility and survival."

transit.dot.gov definition:

"Transit-oriented development (TOD) creates compact, mixed-use communities near transit where people enjoy easy access to jobs and services. Well-done TOD connects transit to desirable places to live, work and visit that feature amenities like entertainment venues, parks, retail, restaurants, an improved pedestrian environment and diverse housing choices."

Offline kennybabes

• Huntington Tower 330'
  Also, I had heard sometime ago way before Terrestrial was built that the rent the landlord wanted was insane.  This was from a fast casual hybrid that was kicking the tires on the place.  So yeah, I guess I'm just wasting pixels here.

I heard the same thing from the Tap house guys, they were looking at that space before opening the butcher and the brewer...the numbers did not make sense.

XYZ or Parkview for watching a game.   the new pizza place might fit into the middle niche.....   $15 for a flat bread pizza was kind of nuts from Cha.  Their food wasn't good enough for what they were charging. 

We do need a "cheaper" place.   I love local west, but 25 bux for 2 sandwiches??  Drop $70 at XYZ for happy hour??   Parkview still has $2 beers, but for how long? 

Still cant beat Lat 41 for the Menage a trois for sat brunch.    Eggs/potatoes/toast/sausage AND bacon/coffee...  all for $5.99

$70 at XYZ happy hour?  My god what are you getting.  You can get a slice of pizza and a beer for $5.00 on Mondays.  You can get a cleveland cheesesteak and a beer for $10 on Wednesdays.  I dont think ive ever spent $70 in non happy hour for my wife and i

Love the Lat 41.   Can spend $50 at grumpy's without even trying.

Shot and a beer $8 times 3.

wife drinks wine.  X 4 glasses which I think are $6 at happy hour.....there is $48 right there.  If they are $5 it is $44 before food.

an order of chips then whatever each of us eats.   Sometimes I get the pizza, sometimes not.  It is not very good. 

The bill is pushing $70 before the tip.

We go on Friday for happy hour.  I don't go out/drink much if at all during the week.

Offline nab70

• Dirt Lot 0'
^^ On the bright side as decent density residential development abutting a transit station it seems to be transit-oriented development even if it's not 'transit-oriented development'
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:42:10 PM by nab70 »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
^Below are three explanations of TOD from reputable mainstream sources.  According to two of them, Aspen Place is not TOD.  According to the third one it might be, but it would not count as "well-done" TOD. 

Wikipedia definition:

"Transit-oriented development, or TOD, is a type of community development that includes a mixture of housing, office, retail and/or other amenities integrated into a walkable neighborhood and located within a half-mile of quality public transportation."

TOD.org definition:

"Also known as TOD, it's the creation of compact, walkable, pedestrian-oriented, mixed-use communities centered around high quality train systems. This makes it possible to live a lower-stress life without complete dependence on a car for mobility and survival."

transit.dot.gov definition:

"Transit-oriented development (TOD) creates compact, mixed-use communities near transit where people enjoy easy access to jobs and services. Well-done TOD connects transit to desirable places to live, work and visit that feature amenities like entertainment venues, parks, retail, restaurants, an improved pedestrian environment and diverse housing choices."

You misunderstand something. TOD isn't a noun. It's an adjective. It describes a thematic approach to development. One investment doesn't comprise a TOD unless it's a pretty large one and is therefore able to embody all of the TOD land use features. In this case, Aspen Place adds to and diversifies other land uses already in evidence in this neighborhood.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:40:54 PM by KJP »

Offline buckeye1

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Yay for TOD. Next, let's get rid of the used car dealership across West 61st. Then redevelop what looks like a former bank at 6330 Lorain Ave. Info shows it was built in 1900 but I can't tell what it was for sure. I found a photo of it from 1941 but the building has a "for sale" sign on it: http://cplorg.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p4014coll18/id/6243/rv/singleitem

Telephone exchange building? http://arcg.is/2xAa1t6
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:41:30 PM by buckeye1 »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Good find. BTW that building looks to be in very poor shape including cracks running diagonally through the exterior brick facade.

Offline buckeye1

^ owned by the funeral home next door since 1979, wonder if it's been vacant that long?

Offline Mendo

Re: Cleveland: Detroit-Shoreway / Gordon Square Arts District: Development and News
« Reply #2619 on: September 06, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
Cross-posting a couple pics of the Menlo Park Academy. I think the building is technically in Detroit Shoreway, but the original pics and discussion a couple years ago was in the Stockyards thread.

https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,2597.msg872741.html#msg872741

Offline dastler

• Dirt Lot 0'
Re: Cleveland: Detroit-Shoreway / Gordon Square Arts District: Development and News
« Reply #2620 on: September 07, 2017, 01:14:42 PM »
Old City Libations shutting down starting Saturday 9/9/17. https://www.facebook.com/oldcitylibations/posts/391026681311778

With mixed emotions, we are announcing that effective this Saturday 9/9 we will be closing Old City Libations. There are many factors we considered prior to arriving at this decision, and it certainly is not one we took lightly considering our team at OCL and the customers who enjoy frequenting our establishment. This business started with a mission of producing the best all natural soda we could and getting it distributed to restaurants and retailers. While we have had a ton of fun opening and operating Old City Libations, the resources it requires are not insignificant and often require us to make choices about where we spend our time and money...and unfortunately, as a small company we simply don't have the resources we would like to keep both sides of our operation moving forward. Hopefully this is a concept we can bring back at some point, but for now we need to make the tough choice to focus our attention and resources on the core Old City Soda operation.
As many of you know, our location was centered around continuing the development of Gordon Square and we still firmly believe in that. Our space was vacant for many years and it was so satisfying to get it re-activated with our friends at Fount (who will remain open in the the location). We are actively working with local partners and our contacts to sell the operation so the people of Gordon Square and Cleveland can continue to enjoy a drink or meal at that location.

It's important for us to thank some key people that helped us realize this great opportunity for Old City. Adam Rosen with Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization has been an incredible partner to us and continues to be to this day. Kumar Arora put his belief into us and continues to be an active and important contributor to the future of Old City Soda. All the investors and our fellow mates from Cleveland Hustles were so important as we all went through the stress we did together. Lebron James for his vision for this project and focusing on giving back and investing in the future of the great city of Cleveland. Our families who have put up with more than was ever expected or could reasonably be asked...family was the inspiration for so much of what Old City is today and we couldn't be more amazed by the love and support we have received. And of course, to our customers that have shown their support for our products and our mission...we will continue to push forward with Old City Soda and can't wait to extend our capabilities to keep the freshest, all-natural sodas in your hands.

So thank you all again, we truly appreciate all of your support and hope we can find new and creative ways for you to engage with Old City in the future.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2621 on: September 09, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
This is for a new 20-Unit townhouse development referenced at the link below...

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/brd/detailDR.php?ID=2516&CASE=NW%202017-021

1318 W 58 ST
CLEVELAND

Sales Date   8/11/2017
Amount   $1,050,000
Buyer   CYAN PARK INC
Seller   1318 W. 58TH, LLC
Deed type   LIMITED WA
Land value   $48,700
Building value   $98,100
Total value   $146,800
Parcel   002-10-010
Property   Manufacturing and assembly, light

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
@ethlaw - You're right, this townhouse proposal is not located where the Parkview is, but I think that @KJP was hinting that there might be a future development proposed for where the Parkview is currently located.

That's correct. Not just Parkview. The entire block that includes HKM Direct Marketing.

Now I can say more... ;)

November 12, 2017 4:00 am      UPDATED 8 HOURS AGO
Several developers are pursuing HKM building
By STAN BULLARD

Real estate developers are jostling to buy the HKM building as a potential redevelopment site near the Cleveland Shoreway, neighboring the just-completed Edison at Gordon Square Apartments and other projects.

Three sources familiar with the situation say owners of HKM Direct Market Communications, a growing direct-mail provider and printer that has occupied the building at 5501 Cass Ave. for decades, have received bids from several regional developers. A high price is sought, upwards of $7 million, for the property that has a value for property tax purposes of less than $2 million.

But what a view and opportunity, from a developer's point of view, the industrial building has: its entrance overlooks the Shoreway and downtown Cleveland, and the site has lake views. It also fronts on the bike path connecting nearby Edgewater Park to downtown.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20171112/news/141981/several-developers-are-pursuing-hkm-building

Offline PoshSteve

• Great American Tower 665'
Good news. With those views, it's only a matter of time before that site is residential. I do hope that HKM stays in the city.

Offline urb-a-saurus

• Huntington Tower 330'
What about the slope east of W58?  You can see it in the article's photograph.  Is it buildable at all?  I see they have threaded a "path" through it.  I thought one of the original Shoreway rebuild objectives was to create a boulevard and open up more land for development, but it looks like it's still more or less an expressway (making the 35mph speed limit somewhat ludicrous).  Still, I think the W73 underpass is a terrific outcome.   

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Good news. With those views, it's only a matter of time before that site is residential. I do hope that HKM stays in the city.

Or they sell the CMSD to build a vocational jr high school..... :P

Offline RE Developer In Training

• Dirt Lot 0'

I drove by the old American Greetings HQ a few weeks ago and saw HKM signs.  They must be leasing part of that complex.  The space must have been divided, as Medical Mutual is planning to move people there also.

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
For-sale townhouse project planned for Detroit Shoreway neighborhood

Another multimillion-dollar real estate development is ready to start taking shape in Cleveland near The Edison, Battery Park and Lake Erie.

"Cyan Park" is the name of the group of for-sale townhouses, costing upward of $399,000 each, that started going up last week on the northwest corner of West 58th Street and Herman Avenue in the Detroit Shoreway neighborhood.

J Roc Development, the same team of builders of eye-catching townhouse projects Tremont Black and Tremont North on the city's South Side, is behind the 20 modern, three-story units constructed with a matte white exterior.

Jesse Grant, a partner in J Roc, wrote in an email, "After the success and recognition of Tremont Black, a white project felt like an appropriate encore!"

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20171126/news/143461/sale-townhouse-project-planned-detroit-shoreway-neighborhood

Offline dergon darkhelm

• Kettering Tower 408'
Small little bit of development but ...

they're laying stakes for building on the lot on the SW corner of W67th and Fr. Caruso.

(a year or two ago the prior old home and garage was demolished.   I think the lot was sold to an individual who was going to build a home for personal use)

Offline MojoRisin

• Excavation Site
W. 58th / Westinghouse complex...

The remainder of the old Westinghouse complex has been for sale for the last few months .
(Cresco real estate ; cannot post the link).

The owner of the property (Peter Kole) is alive and well and still runs Paramount Stamping there.
( No for sale signs on the property).
The parcels already sold became the Edison and are currently becoming Breakwater bluffs.
Cresco real estate sold the water tower building separately from the Edison ; not sure what is happening there.

The Westinghouse tower is obviously the crown jewel for sale now here ; it is solid but in substantial need of work.

PK and several other building owners in the area are holding out and trying to get their price...

Offline dergon darkhelm

• Kettering Tower 408'
Do you know if the building is structurally sound?

I would very much like to see it refurbed as opposed to torn down.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
That building is a tank.  It's very sound.  They've done a good job keeping it weather tight.  The slabs are ridiculously thick.  So think it's probably a challenge to re-purpose for residential...

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Kerry McCormack‏
@KerryMcCormack1
 30m30 minutes ago
Congratulations on the groundbreaking of the new @LGBTCleveland Center in @GordonSquare @DetroitShoreway. TY @zonemat @phyllseven for your leadership! 🏳️‍🌈 @HRC @CleCityCouncil @CityofCleveland @EqualityOhio at The LGBT Center of Greater Cleveland