PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: Detroit-Shoreway / Gordon Square Arts District: Development and News  (Read 4985 times)

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
Re: Cleveland: Detroit/Shoreway & Gordon Square Arts District Developments
« Reply #150 on: December 29, 2006, 12:04:51 PM »
^That's impressive!

KJP, no 15 seconds of fame for you! (Kidding - I'm just removing it since it was a duplicate).

Offline blinker12

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2006, 12:24:20 PM »
^^^The existing Cleveland gayborhood already extends into Cleveland proper (the Edgewater neighborhood). In fact, all the bars (Twist, Club Deco, the Eagle) and the gay coffee shop (Truffles) are in the city. But the Arts District would be a logical expansion to the east!

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2006, 01:08:57 PM »
^^^The existing Cleveland gayborhood already extends into Cleveland proper (the Edgewater neighborhood). In fact, all the bars (Twist, Club Deco, the Eagle) and the gay coffee shop (Truffles) are in the city. But the Arts District would be a logical expansion to the east!

Hey Blinky...I know that.  I guess I should clarify, will the gay kids in Edgewater help expand is "gay-iety" east as you suggest or will it become clevelands second widely known gayborhood?

As the Village and Dupont are the large well know gay neighborhoods in New York and DC.

Personally, I can see the entire northern portion of the westside become a string of gay neighborhoods from (the west bank of the flats) west 25 all the way to west 98.  and on the eastside anything north of Payne from 12 street to 55 (avenue district-csu-design district-asian village).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 01:09:54 PM by MyTwoSense »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »
^That's impressive!

KJP, no 15 seconds of fame for you! (Kidding - I'm just removing it since it was a duplicate).

Damn, and I was surprised no one had posted the article yet.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline DanB

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2006, 06:08:54 PM »
I've still got an apartment available on W 69th st in the Barone Building if you guys know of anyone interested.

Offline OompaLoompa

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2006, 12:49:53 PM »
^^^The existing Cleveland gayborhood already extends into Cleveland proper (the Edgewater neighborhood). In fact, all the bars (Twist, Club Deco, the Eagle)
The Eagle?  You mean The Hawk?

Offline Florida Guy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2006, 09:18:27 PM »
A variety of shops, restaurants and art galleries will complement the core of theaters. With the district's proximity to downtown and decades-old buildings, Zone compared it to an authentic version of Westlake's Crocker Park.

I love this quote!

Offline blinker12

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2007, 02:23:22 PM »
^^Yes.

Offline j73

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2007, 03:53:19 PM »
So when do we stop calling it the "Gordon Square Arts District" and just shorten it to "Gordon Square"?  Just too clunky and planning-y...

Offline zaceman

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
id say start the trend now, yep

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2007, 10:39:06 PM »
^I'm so sick of the 'arts district' moniker. Everyone is trying to be an arts district. 

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2007, 12:52:22 AM »
A variety of shops, restaurants and art galleries will complement the core of theaters. With the district's proximity to downtown and decades-old buildings, Zone compared it to an authentic version of Westlake's Crocker Park.

I love this quote!

Amazing how quick the switch from comparing Crocker Park to real neighborhoods to comparing real neighborhoods to Crocker Park!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 12:52:54 AM by X »

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2007, 09:09:39 AM »
So when do we stop calling it the "Gordon Square Arts District" and just shorten it to "Gordon Square"?  Just too clunky and planning-y...

Count me in.  New Year's resolution for planners: no more lame "district"-ing, especially when there is a perfectly good name for the nabe already.

Offline Ewoops

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2007, 10:57:21 AM »
Went to Gypsy today.  The place looks great, and there was heavy traffic.  Looking out the window toward the Capitol Theater, I really was able to picture how much potential this neighborhood has.  The access to the lake, a dense mixed use shopping district, arts and culture, incredible and diverse housing stock both north and south of Detroit, as well as great interstate access make the redevelopment of this area a no brainer.  I can't wait to watch it take off.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2007, 11:18:13 AM »
Went to Gypsy today.  The place looks great, and there was heavy traffic.  Looking out the window toward the Capitol Theater, I really was able to picture how much potential this neighborhood has.  The access to the lake, a dense mixed use shopping district, arts and culture, incredible and diverse housing stock both north and south of Detroit, as well as great interstate access make the redevelopment of this area a no brainer.  I can't wait to watch it take off.

Based on your statement, it appears lift off has already occured.  :wink:

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2007, 07:21:36 PM »
Spent a few hours at Gypsy today...they did a great job with that space and it needed a TON of work!  It is spacious, yet cozy, with great windows on Detroit that I just couldn't stop gazing out of.  Like Ewoops said, you can see the Capitol Theater, the Gordon Square Arcade, and the buildings across the street, east of 65th.  I overheard another customer talking about leasing the vacant space across the street and others coming in and congratulating the owner, asking about the neighborhood.  I had some great organic green tea and delicious mac n' cheese.  The baked stuff looked great...everything from cookies to baguettes to take home.  What a great vibe and a fantastic addition to the neighborhood!  Congrats to Ms. Gillota!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 07:23:47 PM by Mister Good Day »

Offline Florida Guy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2007, 09:57:51 PM »
I know that Gordon Square is centrally located at 65th & Detroit but can anyone give the approximate boundaries of the surrounding residential neighborhood?

There is lots of affordable real estate located in this area that I may be interested in. This neighborhood is very up and coming.

Offline blinker12

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2007, 10:01:35 AM »
The formal boundaries of Detroit-Shoreway are: W. 45th to W. 85th, from Lorain Avenue to the lake.
I'm at Gypsy Beans right now using the wifi -- I love it!

Offline math

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2007, 01:09:34 PM »
this is three blocks from my house.  and we walk past it a lot on the way to the lake.  they have done EXTENSIVE work on the exterior.  it looks like a beautfiul old house rehab surrounded by a castle.  you really must see it to believe it.  and as a detroit-shoreway resident, I am so happy to see gypsy open.  the potential has long been there at this intersetion, so it is nice to see things come together.  if only we could pretty up the leather stores.  heh.   

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2007, 01:16:01 PM »
cool article, KJP.

I love that it will have indoor bocci ball. Too bad it won't be open this winter.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2007, 01:31:33 PM »
Totally cool.  Math, your nabe is awesome and looks to be getting awesomer.

I took a few shots of this bar at the end of December and will try to remember to post them here in the next couple days.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2007, 02:31:24 PM »
Not my article, but I'll pass the compliment along to David.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2007, 12:14:34 PM »
this is three blocks from my house.  and we walk past it a lot on the way to the lake.  they have done EXTENSIVE work on the exterior.  it looks like a beautfiul old house rehab surrounded by a castle.  you really must see it to believe it.  and as a detroit-shoreway resident, I am so happy to see gypsy open.  the potential has long been there at this intersetion, so it is nice to see things come together.  if only we could pretty up the leather stores.  heh.   

This is it, no?  Looks great!

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2007, 12:37:19 PM »
Is there a projected opening date?  Well after St. Patty's Day is all I can find...

I might not ever go here, though, considering that the bocce ball court is 4 feet short!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:37:30 PM by Mister Good Day »

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »
wow that is excellent. looks sharp. an indoor boccie court is very, very cool. i love how they have incorporated the history of the neighborhood and are taking another angle to typical pub food.

ahem, pardon me, but hows about one more slight twist guys? murphy's stout on tap!!! it's better than guinness.

Offline math

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2007, 02:23:41 PM »
yep.  I don't know where in the development of the stonework your picture is, but to the right of the building there now is a large pillar thing with a pyramid on top.  it is really something.  nice to have bocci, since the area has italian heritage.  while I am not much of irish pubs, I may try it out a little.  I mostly go to the parkview when there are no bands, or the happy dog when I want some food.  the proximity to battery park, about 5 blocks, and 65th, about 2 blocks, makes this a sure fire hit.  definately a walkable area. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2007, 05:57:56 PM »
Anyone know what this is about? It's from Friday's Design-Review agenda....

ADMINISTRATIVE APPROVALS
Ordinance No. 195-07 : Authorizing the Director of Parks, Recreation and Properties to enter into an amendment to the Lease between the City of Cleveland and the Detroit Shoreway Corporation for a public parking facility located at 6518 Detroit Avenue.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2007, 06:05:18 PM »
This thread title is already so descriptive why dont you give us the longitude and latitude coordinates? I'm on google earth.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 06:05:58 PM by David »

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2007, 06:31:11 PM »
Anyone know what this is about? It's from Friday's Design-Review agenda....

ADMINISTRATIVE APPROVALS
Ordinance No. 195-07 : Authorizing the Director of Parks, Recreation and Properties to enter into an amendment to the Lease between the City of Cleveland and the Detroit Shoreway Corporation for a public parking facility located at 6518 Detroit Avenue.

That sounds like it might be the parking lot behind the Gordon Square Arcade...

The City owns it and probably leases it to DSCDO
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 06:41:19 PM by Map Boy »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2007, 06:37:56 PM »
I think you may be right.