Author Topic: New York City: Developments and News  (Read 19014 times)

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: New York City: Developments and News
« Reply #450 on: December 05, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »
there are finally better preliminary renders for the nordstrom central park tower.

it doesnt resolve well at the top, or at all really, but we'll see.

i heard a good joke about it on ssp -- that every apt above the 70th floor comes with its own afghan hound.  :D

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #451 on: December 10, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »
another favorite spot, ruined >:(--

Want Fewer Crowds on the Brooklyn Bridge? You’re Not Alone
By WINNIE HU  DEC. 8, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/nyregion/brooklyn-bridge-crossing.html

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #452 on: December 11, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
the tourist increase is fine, but the bikers on that bridge are and have always been terrorists. the bike lane should be removed and moved, or they need to be made to walk their bikes across. its too crowded these days for those ridiculously entitled type-a wannabe messenger bikers.

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #453 on: December 24, 2017, 10:24:42 AM »
let's go down to the waterline...

this is the view just to the north of the waterline square developments

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #454 on: December 26, 2017, 01:30:41 PM »
a few more — since i was around midtown lately

220 central park from the westside — aka the stern tower

under the moma tower verre on w54st

the cps stern tower again & the nordstrom tower

one vanderbilt

the old pastis restaurant meatpacking bldg redevelopment

manhattan west

cps views from the park

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #455 on: December 26, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »
The amount of NYC construction is amazing!
#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline edale

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #456 on: January 09, 2018, 06:25:00 PM »
I really don't like all the new skinny supertalls in Manhattan. I think they're ruining the aesthetic of the skyline and spoiling some of the respite that Central Park provides from the sea of urbanity of Manhattan. I know these towers are one way for Manhattan to continually grow and densify, but they all seem to just be ultra-luxe housing, so they're not really doing anything to alleviate rents for the average person in NY.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #457 on: January 09, 2018, 07:21:25 PM »
I appreciate them from a purely design standpoint. The engineering involved in them is pretty insane. 111 W57th will also have a stunning facade that makes use of materials not typical in structures of that size.

I don't necessarily agree they're having any effect on the Central Park experience. The reality is that any of the locations you can see them were already spots you could see the Midtown skyline and the residential buildings along Central Park West and 5th Ave. Once you get into the wooded areas or further north they're completely out of sight.

Though I agree they do nothing to help affordability, they do at least provide property taxes so there's that. The reality is though that they'd either not exist at all or exist as they do. There isn't a version of reality where something of that square footage is built in that location that's affordable. The costs are just too high to justify anything other than ultra luxury.

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #458 on: January 15, 2018, 01:32:29 PM »
i like the latest skinny apt tower trend as they are interesting, add variety to the skyline and take it to new heights --- some of the upcoming towers will likely even turn out to be stunningly beautiful, ie., the moma tower, 9 dekalb in downtown brooklyn and 111 w57st.

this project below one is a 180 on those.

la central, a big housing project complex on the last 'bronx is burning' era empty lots, is finally underway and they have locked up loans for more of it:

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/1/11/16880338/la-central-rendering-bronx-second-phase

i work around here sometimes, so i have been watching for news about it closely -- this is bldg D

here is sort of a preview, an already built multipurpose bldg they built on a parking lot on 149st. you can park on the roof.

anyway, la central has been in the works for many years, so its great to watch it finally taking off.

edit - here is another article about it:

https://www.newyorkyimby.com/2018/01/335-million-in-financing-secured-for-second-phase-of-la-central-development-south-bronx.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:22:03 PM by mrnyc »

Offline SleepyLeroy

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #459 on: January 15, 2018, 01:37:43 PM »
I appreciate them from a purely design standpoint. The engineering involved in them is pretty insane. 111 W57th will also have a stunning facade that makes use of materials not typical in structures of that size.

I don't necessarily agree they're having any effect on the Central Park experience. The reality is that any of the locations you can see them were already spots you could see the Midtown skyline and the residential buildings along Central Park West and 5th Ave. Once you get into the wooded areas or further north they're completely out of sight.

Though I agree they do nothing to help affordability, they do at least provide property taxes so there's that. The reality is though that they'd either not exist at all or exist as they do. There isn't a version of reality where something of that square footage is built in that location that's affordable. The costs are just too high to justify anything other than ultra luxury.

For those who havent seen the cladding for 111 check this out.  Amazing, and exactly what you said about being surprising for the size of the building.
https://skyrisecities.com/forum/threads/new-york-111-west-57th-street-438m-80s-jds-shop.23969/

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #460 on: January 15, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #461 on: January 15, 2018, 01:43:21 PM »
also, i saw this weak fake news pushback in brooklyn!   :D

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #462 on: January 30, 2018, 02:39:04 PM »
this group is called greenpoint landing in nw brooklyn.

Significant progress is being made at Greenpoint Landing, the waterfront mega project from developers Park Tower Group, Brookfield Property Partners, and L+M Development Partners. Handel Architects is responsible for the design of the master plan and the current sites completed or under construction.

The master plan will bring 10 towers and about 5,500 residential units to the Greenpoint neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Approximately 1,400 of those units will be permanently affordable, some of which are already being offered through housing lotteries for the first three all-affordable low-rise buildings at or near completion.

Also included in the development will be a waterfront park from James Corner Field Operations and a K-8 public school on the corner of Franklin and Dupont Street.

here is a field condition shot:

more:
http://fieldcondition.com/blog/2017/6/1/construction-update-greenpoint-landing-handel-architects

nearby, the greenpoint on india street, one of the tallest in brooklyn to date, is almost done too -- its got 500 apts:

more:
https://newyorkyimby.com/2017/11/the-greenpoint-nears-completion-at-21-india-street-greenpoint.html

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:12:29 AM by jmecklenborg »

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #464 on: March 01, 2018, 09:04:03 PM »
Hard to believe...JPMorgan Chase to tear down 52-story midtown headquarters to put up a 70-story one with twice the square footage:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/nyregion/jpmorgan-chase-headquarters.html

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #465 on: March 02, 2018, 12:28:58 AM »
I have a feeling (maybe just wishful thinking on my part) that the reality is that the Union Carbide building won't be going anywhere. They're going to come up against a ton of backlash for attempting to demolish it.

It's also wildly frivolous and a sign of how much money banks have to blow. There's no logical reason for this other than flexing one's financial muscles.

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #466 on: March 07, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »
i heard they are going to gut it and build on top. we’ll see.

they really do need the room though, its overcrowded in there.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #467 on: March 07, 2018, 06:26:19 PM »
^It's an interesting corollary to 666 5th.  Only in Manhattan is a 40-50 story skyscraper possibly thought of as a tear-down.  The East Side Access project is no doubt solidifying this area as the dominant office location in Manhattan. 

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #468 on: March 07, 2018, 10:14:56 PM »
^ Terrace Plaza is probably the only skyscraper in Cincinnati in danger of demolition, and was interestingly designed by the same architect at SOM who designed Union Carbide, Natalie de Blois.

Though Terrace Plaza is nowhere near as tall as Union Carbide and, if demolished, would only be the second tallest building demolished in Cincinnati's history (I think) - after Sander Hall.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #469 on: March 07, 2018, 10:52:56 PM »
Although it isn't very likely that Terrace Plaza would actually be fully demolished. Most likely, a developer who doesn't care about preserving the facade would just strip it down to its structural elements and put up a totally new facade. Sorta like Morgens and Scioto Halls at UC.

Offline tastybunns

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #470 on: March 09, 2018, 05:01:50 AM »
Honestly the more vertical development I see in NY is numbing me. It just shows that NY is basically becoming a fancy modernist Coruscant. I appreciate the design efforts that go into these things but if something's going to get lost in an already massive Super City Skyline, there's no general purpose. I mean yeah, make it look nice, but not over the top. Make use of your land and build something that maximizes your tenantship rather than a 1 in 5 artsy building. This is why I kind of wish Beaux Arts and Art Deco was still alive in architecture because those styles definitely make use of their space. If you're going to show off your style I think you should build somewhere else for a small or mid-sized city, because those skylines sure need it more than NY. I understand demand is mega high, but you probably shouldn't be minimizing space for style, rather you should fix the issue and build something that will contribute to lowering office demand.
But I'm not here to tell you how to build or what to build, New York architecture is just getting a little crazy.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:08:50 AM by tastybunns »

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #471 on: March 10, 2018, 08:40:51 AM »
^ yeah for sure all the development does seem crazy at times, but the general purpose of the attention grabbing tall residential buildings in midtown is quite clear, its to occassionally house the insanely rich.

fixing the office demand is being done in two major ways, developing the underused westside, including building over hudson yards, which imo are the most crazy go getter projects of all, and also rezoning around grand central, so older office bldgs can be rebuilt.

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #472 on: April 18, 2018, 11:12:44 AM »
for something metro related i took a look to see if anything was happening with the other two of three enormous stacked boxy urby towers in jersey city and there was no news, but i found out the other big three tower residential project over there called journal squared is starting its second tower. the site is interesting because its in mid-jersey city:

Designed by HWKN/Hollwich Kushner and Handel Architects, it will stand 72 floors and 759 feet to its rooftop.

Those measurements are impressive, but it will still fall a few dozen feet short of the state’s current tallest, at 30 Hudson Street. The relatively prominent elevation of Journal Square will ensure it punches quite a bit above its weight, with the 90′ base height giving the tower a visual boost. At 849′ to tip relative to the waterfront, that will make it the second-most prominent in the city upon completion, behind the 900-foot 99 Hudson Street (also lacking elevation, located adjacent to the Hudson River).

The first tower of Journal Squared has 54 floors and 538 apartments, and the second phase will add about 600 units, though the exact number has not yet been confirmed. The entirety of the site will wind up with 1,840 rentals by the time the third tower is completed, and that part of the plan is currently expected to stand about 60 floors in height.

Completion of the second phase is likely by the end of 2020, and Kushner Real Estate Development is the site’s developer. The towering triplets will eventually be joined by another set of twin buildings dubbed One Journal Square, by Kushner Companies, just a short walk away, which also recently saw a redesign approved by the city.

tower one

renders

more:
https://www.yimbynews.com/2014/10/groundbreaking-journal-squared.html
https://newyorkyimby.com/2017/10/journal-squareds-next-72-story-tower-breaks-ground-in-journal-square-jersey-city.html

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #473 on: April 18, 2018, 11:22:05 AM »
this is the jersey city urby two and three tower non-news i found via ssp:

Wondering why Urby II hasn't started construction yet despite Urby I nearly fulled leased? You're not the only one. It looks like Urby II and III are being put on the back burner in favor or 25 Christopher Columbus, which was recently acquired by the same developer, and a new taller two-tower development, on the waterfront, cattecorner to where Urby I is now.

This new development is known as Harborside 8 and 9. Harborside 8 is planned for 675 units. For reference, Urby I has 762. Harborside 9 is planned for 1325 units...

Look at slide 42 - http://investors.mack-cali.com/file/...ile=1500105156

render

this is how the the single urby tower looks now

Offline BigDipper 80

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #474 on: April 18, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »
Designed by HWKN/Hollwich Kushner and Handel Architects, it will stand 72 floors and 759 feet to its rooftop.

Those measurements are impressive, but it will still fall a few dozen feet short of the state’s current tallest, at 30 Hudson Street.

It's weird to me that Ohio's tallest is bigger than Jersey's tallest despite, you know, being super close to NYC!
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #475 on: April 18, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »
yes and even the new tallest underway in jc, 99 hudson, will still be shorter at 887' (key is 947').

the current tallest over there is the pelli goldman sachs building aka 30 hudson street at 781'. that one had a height chop due to post 9/11 fears or the faa, not sure sure what the original height was to be.

i think newark airport is a problem for supertalls in jersey city. they could be built in newark city though.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2018, 12:23:46 PM »
Overhangs, tilts, etc. are so damn ugly. 

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2018, 01:12:26 PM »
just as threes make everything look better.

Online mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #478 on: April 18, 2018, 01:27:19 PM »
meanwhile back in manhattan, this an L-shaped cantilevering condo coming downtown to hudson square/west soho.

i guess they didn't get the air rights to build over the corner building.

A development site at Greenwich and Charlton Streets promises to be among the first to bear fruit from Hudson Square’s 2013 rezoning. Images uncovered on the website of Fernando Romero EnterprisE (FR-EE) detail a 26-floor, 116-unit condominium along the quiet commercial edge of the neighborhood. The L-shaped lot is owned by the developer Cape Advisors, whose forward-thinking projects include 100 Eleventh Avenue and One Kenmare Square.

According to the New York Observer, the 57,500-square-foot warehouse at 537-545 Greenwich Street was purchased along with 42,500 square feet of additional air rights this past spring for the sum of $52 million. The 2013 rezoning allows for as-of-right residential development in the hope of turning the sleepy area into a more vibrant mixed-use neighborhood.

A height limit of 290 feet was set along major avenues and 210 feet on narrower side streets. This partly explains FR-EE’s vigorous use of cantilevering projections and the tower’s energetic, blossoming form. Since the additional air rights from neighboring properties could not be utilized vertically a la “billionaire’s row” the architects masterfully disguised the potentially hulking and jarring horizontal protrusions with a billowing form blown by the Hudson’s hearty down-river winds.

The architects also note: “The cantilevered floors exemplify the strategy of having more square feet in the most profitable area, while also generating outdoor spaces and unique interior layouts.” Amenities will also include on-site parking and a common garden.

more:
https://www.6sqft.com/revealed-290-foot-cantilevering-condo-coming-to-hudson-squarewest-soho/

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2018, 05:40:48 PM »
I dig it.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers