PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Dubai: Developments and News  (Read 630 times)

Offline unusualfire

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Boomtown Dubai
« Reply #390 on: February 09, 2010, 04:16:04 PM »
WOW can it reach rock bottom???

Online ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #391 on: February 09, 2010, 04:25:21 PM »
Well, keep in mind most large projects deal with issues.  The Empire State Buliding for a long time was once the Empty State Building; Disneyland didn't open exactly as planned; and EPCOT was a massive failure in the beginning.  This ain't new.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #392 on: March 28, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »
Researching this thread....

My wife has the offer to transfer to an affiliated school in Dubai- she's a teacher in Lorain, OH.  Right now the school administrator over there is considering her salary request.

If it's reasonable to her, she's going to accept. It's a temporary position, ending mid- June.

Offline unusualfire

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Dubai: Developments and News
« Reply #394 on: February 20, 2015, 11:12:38 PM »
79-story apartment tower in Dubai engulfed in flames!!
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6724728
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #395 on: February 23, 2015, 06:37:58 AM »
79-story apartment tower in Dubai engulfed in flames!!
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6724728

The Torch tower, no less....

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #397 on: September 28, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
the dubai marina seems to be the hotspot of development lately:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/hard-rock-hotel-set-open-in-dubai-marina-569580.html

also, i saw something about restarting a world's tallest residential tower, the pentominium, hows that for a moniker? not sure what happened or how that is going:

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/work-to-restart-on-world-s-tallest-residential-tower-2014-03-17-1.541834

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #398 on: December 19, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
In reference to Star Wars-The Force Awakens being released this weekend, I bring you two photos. First, Galactic City:

Second, Dubai -- a photo from Doug Nagy....

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #399 on: December 20, 2015, 12:01:38 PM »
In reference to Star Wars-The Force Awakens being released this weekend, I bring you two photos. First, Galactic City:

Second, Dubai -- a photo from Doug Nagy....

That looks like art not photography...

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #400 on: December 20, 2015, 09:03:56 PM »
It's quite real.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #401 on: December 31, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #402 on: February 12, 2016, 04:05:10 AM »
Building the largest mall in the world you have to make it a car free city with transit. https://t.co/tVo6icTZgP @theoverheadwire @nraford

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #403 on: March 20, 2017, 01:20:03 PM »
just incredible!

World’s first 3D-printed skyscraper to be built in UAE

'Through our technologies, we will be able to build architecturally complex buildings at never-before seen speeds'

A construction firm based in Dubai has announced plans to build the world’s first 3D-printed skyscraper.

The company, called Cazza, has confirmed that it will be erected in the United Arab Emirates.

It says it will use a new technique called “crane printing” to create the building.

Buildings have been 3D-printed before, with the key benefits being low costs and speedy completion REUTERS/Karim Sahib/Pool

more:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/3d-printed-skyscraper-worlds-first-built-uae-united-arab-emirates-cazza-crane-printing-a7629416.html

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #404 on: March 20, 2017, 01:55:18 PM »
Fewer slave laborers when you can 3D print it!

Offline TroyEros

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #405 on: March 20, 2017, 06:04:54 PM »
Never been to Dubai but from what I've seen on google street view, Dubai looks like the most artificial city I've ever seen. It's pretty much one main strip of really tall skyscrapers. The lack of intricate side streets and alley ways is a bummer. I'm sure it will change over the decades, but I'm not sure how this differentiates between say Vegas or other artificial cities other than the fact it's more business orientated regarding the skyscrapers being built.

IMO the city has a neat futuristic niche going but at this point everything currently about the city screams no character, nor a soul for that matter. Dubai looks like oil tycoon the city.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:06:32 PM by TroyEros »

Online ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #406 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:58 PM »
Never been to Dubai but from what I've seen on google street view, Dubai looks like the most artificial city I've ever seen. It's pretty much one main strip of really tall skyscrapers. The lack of intricate side streets and alley ways is a bummer. I'm sure it will change over the decades, but I'm not sure how this differentiates between say Vegas or other artificial cities other than the fact it's more business orientated regarding the skyscrapers being built.

IMO the city has a neat futuristic niche going but at this point everything currently about the city screams no character, nor a soul for that matter. Dubai looks like oil tycoon the city.

I've been to Dubai and no, Dubai is not all like that.  There is an actual city of Dubai that is more urban than almost every city in this country except New York/San Fran/CC Philly.  Al Ras alone is would change your opinion quick.  Now Sheikh Zayed, Jumeirah Beach, etc I'll agree with you that they are touristy (not just for oil tycoons but for European, African, and Asian tourists who don't want to fly to America for fun) and "soulless" but it serves a purpose, much like how Las Vegas and Orlando do in this country.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #407 on: March 21, 2017, 12:07:54 AM »
I'm really curious how Dubai is doing. I was intrigued back in '06 - '08 when I heard all about the economic and real estate boom and about all these cool buildings being proposed and the large scale, unique tourist attractions but there isn't much news about the city anymore. Seems reasonable to believe it's because they're not doing so well. Something tells me it has to do with the fact that they don't actually have freedom of speech and press in UAE and that the town is actually in an epic downward spiral. The government is able to get away with blocking the outside world from knowing about it.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #408 on: March 21, 2017, 01:01:40 AM »
The bike race is a great way to get a better idea for the city...blink and you'll miss the BW3's at 29:57:

Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Qatar have been doing major multi-day races in January and February for about five years.  It's warm when Europe's cold and I'm sure the prize money is pretty big.  Traditionally this was the off season for pro biking except for the occasional race in Australia or South Africa. 

The Tour of Dubai is actually a pretty cool race because they get up in the arid mountains about 20 miles from the coast for a mountain stage and one or two of the stages end out on the Palm.  What this means is that an inland race in calm weather can all the sudden have nasty crosswinds for the sprint finish.  These guys are very scientific in how they plan out their energy exertion and so if they think they've got enough gas for the last 3 miles and all the sudden they hit a wall of wind all that discipline means nothing! 

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #409 on: March 22, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »
^ thats a great view of dubai and that was pretty funny about the bw3.

that bw3 remineded me, i dk if cafe bene is in ohio, its a big mediocre knockoff starbucks coffeeshop chain, but i was poking around streetview in ulan bataar in mongolia for some reason and on the one street i zoomed on where they had any noted food/retail suddenly there was a brand new cafe bene shop. it was kind of shocking to see that. the city did seem to be booming, so maybe more of that kind of thing to come. i imagine its like that in the new dubai areas, like suddenly, oh look a kfc or burger king lol. i noticed a lock of bootleg knockoffs in central asia, like mac burger with the arches, so i bet they have that kind of thing too in these pop-up boomtown city places.