Author Topic: Painesville / Lake County: Development and News  (Read 8444 times)

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Painesville / Lake County: Development and News
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
^this pier looks great

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and Amazon Schmamzon, the Great Lakes Mall will not be deterred--

Great Lakes Mall in Mentor poised to compete in the age of Amazon

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20171109/great-lakes-mall-in-mentor-poised-to-compete-in-the-age-of-amazon

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2017, 12:39:20 PM »
yes, a brewpub! Why not? Hopefully a more upscale place to get drunk. I see a downtown revival on the horizon :(.

New brewery may occupy former Citizens Bank in Painesville
By Tawana Roberts, The News-Herald
POSTED: 12/01/17, 3:26 PM EST

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20171201/new-brewery-may-occupy-former-citizens-bank-in-painesville

this is my favorite part (environmental hazards?? It was a bank!):

"As a part of a United States Environmental Protection Agency grant that Painesville received, the city was able to conduct environmental and hazardous substance assessments.

Bieterman said this grant was instrumental in redevelopment.

“It gave them (113 Main LLC) comfort that there were no major environmental hazards,” she said.“We’re really excited about this opportunity.”

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2017, 01:10:17 PM »
Mentor: the new Vegas ???

Great Lakes Mall named Community Entertainment District, to invest millions

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20171209/NEWS/171209449

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
what the hell is this all about? As far as I know Steve LaTourette had his office in the same spot for his entire time in Congress and I think (I'm probably wrong) that what's-his-name, J. William Stanton, in the 60's, was based in Painesville. I'm sure this has nothing to do with the numerous immigrant rights and DACA demonstrations that have taken place outside his office in recent months ::) The new Mentor address sounds like it's hidden away somewhere in a corporate office park far removed from easy public access. Good riddance--lol

Rep. Joyce moving district office from Painesville to Mentor

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20171211/rep-joyce-moving-district-office-from-painesville-to-mentor

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2018, 12:54:47 PM »
February 10, 2018 4:00 am     
Lakeland's new building is abuzz with anticipation (with photo gallery)
Lakeland Community College's $45 million expansion features a Hive that isn't your typical learning space

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180210/news/151491/lakelands-new-building-abuzz-anticipation-photo-gallery

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »
here's a good idea: let's turn those abandoned mall department stores into "entertainment venues," which, based on the Round1 Entertainment website (Bowling & Amusement :|), will probably not be featuring chamber music or cutting-edge theater--

Entertainment venue coming to Great Lakes Mall in Mentor

http://www.news-herald.com/business/20170710/entertainment-venue-coming-to-great-lakes-mall-in-mentor?source=topstoriesrot

Round 1, a fast-growing family entertainment concept, is coming to Mentor’s Great Lakes Mall, according to a news release from Washington Prime Group Inc., a real estate trust investment group.

It’s part of an approximately $15 million project , according to the release.

In addition to Round 1, WPG is in discussions with new tenants for a restaurant space that will be created adjacent to Round 1. The high-visibility anchor space was previously occupied by a Dillard’s Men’s Store. Dillard’s made the decision earlier this year to consolidate its department stores at Great Lakes Mall into a single renovated anchor space. In addition, a redeveloped outparcel will provide an opportunity to add a second new restaurant to this project.

Ohio's very first Round 1 Entertainment opening soon! This looks like a pinball arcade on steroids, keeping the masses distracted.

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20180322/round1-announces-opening-date-free-video-game-event-at-great-lakes-mall

http://www.round1usa.com/round1-great-lakes-mall-coming-soon/

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2018, 03:10:52 PM »
"Come play arcade games with your Grandma!"  -that ad

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2018, 03:23:08 PM »
https://www.yelp.com/biz/round1-crystal-run-middletown

Looks like most Round1's get 2.5 or 3 stars on Yelp.  I'm going to guess this location won't be any better.

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2018, 03:24:06 PM »
^^

Looks like most Round1's get 2.5 or 3 stars on Yelp.  I'm going to guess this location won't be any better.

well, they keep expanding in the US, so I guess it depends on the location. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:27:05 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2018, 03:30:44 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=yelp+round1&rlz=1C1RAEH_enUS770US770&oq=yelp+round1&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60j0j69i64.2943j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

They only have 22 locations in the US.  It sure looks like nearly all of them have pretty bad reviews.

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2018, 03:45:38 PM »
^geez, it's almost like you want them to fail. According to Round 1's wikipedia entry they're planning 10 new US locations annually, and they seem to be doing well financially. While Great Lakes doesn't appear to be on its deathbed like many other malls, it's looking to the future to expand it's attractions beyond shopping, for obvious reasons (I know, you're bitter because it replaced Dillard's Men's store--I think that's what was there :()--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_One_Entertainment

http://www.round1usa.com/employments/about-us/

Offline plinth857

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2018, 04:10:09 PM »

I think this will end up doing well; there is a market for it since there is a Dave and Buster's on the west side (that does pretty well) but not on the east.  I think Dave and Buster's is probably a little more high end (particularly when it comes to food), but this seems to be more appropriate for the area.  With so many other indoor shopping malls falling on hard times, a little creativity is needed.  Better than a big empty anchor tenant space, which generates zero in payroll tax.

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2018, 04:26:03 PM »
^geez, it's almost like you want them to fail.

It's not that I want them to fail or even think that they will.  I'm just stating that the ones that have opened do not seem to get good reviews.  But there are plenty of places that get bad reviews that manage to stay open, maybe because they fill a need and no better alternatives pop up.  To be fair to them, I checked Dave & Buster's reviews and they seem to be even worse.  So maybe this is a concept that people want, but nobody has figured out how to pull it off well yet.  If so, and if this is a better option than Dave & Buster's, then it's a good acquisition for Mentor.

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2018, 04:27:26 PM »
^

I think this will end up doing well; there is a market for it since there is a Dave and Buster's on the west side (that does pretty well) but not on the east.  I think Dave and Buster's is probably a little more high end (particularly when it comes to food), but this seems to be more appropriate for the area.  With so many other indoor shopping malls falling on hard times, a little creativity is needed.  Better than a big empty anchor tenant space, which generates zero in payroll tax.

I had to look up dave & busters. I had no idea what it was. There's even one on Times Square. It appears there are 5 in Ohio, and the menu seems more extensive than Round 1, but their websites are virtually identical in appearance. Not sure who is copying who here, as Round 1 is Japanese. I suppose these places could be somewhat fun...if you can stand the noise >:(

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2018, 04:35:21 PM »
I don't know if it matters who copied whom, but Dave & Buster's certainly has much better name recognition in the US, having over 100 locations and being founded in 1982, 26 years before Round1 came to the US.  I'm not a fan of it, but they seem to be pretty popular, even if the reviews on Yelp are abysmal.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2018, 02:53:20 PM »
Had a meeting in Painesville this morning, that city has some great bones. Have there been any attempts at revitalization efforts similar to a Medina or Hudson? @eastvillagedon

Offline plinth857

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »
Had a meeting in Painesville this morning, that city has some great bones. Have there been any attempts at revitalization efforts similar to a Medina or Hudson? @eastvillagedon

When they tore down the hospital downtown, I thought Zaremba had floated a plan for coach homes or townhouses, but I'm not sure it was part of any long term plan.  It would be nice though; they do some nice things down there like Art in the Park and farmer's markets and such.  Plus I love the old train depot (and it's near a tasty pasta restaurant!).

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2018, 04:06:46 PM »

yes, there have been a lot of efforts, still ongoing. I guess part of the problem with Painesville is that it's a poorer town, especially compared to places like Medina and Hudson, so its been harder to turn it into one of those kinds of upscale-y towns. If you go back in this thread you'll discover the history of its demise, beginning in the 60's, when Mentor was booming and the future was the Great Lakes Mall. In a few short years downtown--once a bustling area that was the shopping destination for much of Lake County and even points south and east (there were even decent department stores!)--was drained of its retail life. In addition to being poorer, Painesville is also very diverse (even in the 60's, and decades before, it was the only town in Lake Co. that had a significant black population. That's still the case!), which I think sadly prevents at least some potential investors from starting businesses there. That said, there are bright spots, like a re-energized Lake Erie College; and as much as some people will deny this, the large influx of Mexicans in the past 20 years has done more to revitalize the town more than anything else (as well as actually producing population growth, something most old historic cities and towns in Ohio have not seen in years). Almost 10 years ago they came up with a grand (or grandiose) and costly(!) master plan to try and get things moving. Here's the link. It will make your head spin :'(

(and yes, plinth, the shovel-ready project on the old hospital site has still yet to see a shovel. Since I was born there, does that mean I don't exist?)

http://www.painesville.com/vertical/Sites/%7B66FDE066-2B9A-43E2-8DFC-2129003D50A7%7D/uploads/%7BB8E0F0C9-C2C6-47DA-A64D-3A4BC5C9D782%7D.PDF

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2018, 04:17:35 PM »

yes, there have been a lot of efforts, still ongoing. I guess part of the problem with Painesville is that it's a poorer town, especially compared to places like Medina and Hudson, so its been harder to turn it into one of those kinds of upscale-y towns. If you go back in this thread you'll discover the history of its demise, beginning in the 60's, when Mentor was booming and the future was the Great Lakes Mall. In a few short years downtown--once a bustling area that was the shopping destination for much of Lake County and even points south and east (there were even decent department stores!)--was drained of its retail life. In addition to being poorer, Painesville is also very diverse (even in the 60's, and decades before, it was the only town in Lake Co. that had a significant black population. That's still the case!), which I think sadly prevents at least some potential investors from starting businesses there. That said, there are bright spots, like a re-energized Lake Erie College; and as much as some people will deny this, the large influx of Mexicans in the past 20 years has done more to revitalize the town more than anything else (as well as actually producing population growth, something most old historic cities and towns in Ohio have not seen in years). Almost 10 years ago they came up with a grand (or grandiose) and costly(!) master plan to try and get things moving. Here's the link. It will make your head spin :'(

(and yes, plinth, the shovel-ready project on the old hospital site has still yet to see a shovel. Since I was born there, does that mean I don't exist?)

http://www.painesville.com/vertical/Sites/%7B66FDE066-2B9A-43E2-8DFC-2129003D50A7%7D/uploads/%7BB8E0F0C9-C2C6-47DA-A64D-3A4BC5C9D782%7D.PDF

It's too bad that Painesville isn't a bit farther east.  I think some of those city centers (Geneva, Madison, etc) can be rebuilt around tourism.  My wife and I have gone out to the wine region for a night on a few occasions.  It's an easy getaway for a weekend.  The region attracts people from Pittsburgh and even Columbus.  I bet that a good amount of money comes into Eastern Lake and Western Ashtabula county due to the wine industry.

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
^I don't know how economically viable Geneva is overall though (but I think they also have a large Hispanic pop. now because of the agricultural jobs that attracted them to the area in the first place). Come to think of it, I've never been to its downtown, only Geneva-on-the-Lake, which has always been sort of a tourist spot, although that was in the earlier days when people stayed closer to home when going on vacation. And Madison is only a few short miles from Painesville, essentially the same area. But I guess the wine industry is a big thing now and growing. (I was going to post the Wine Country photo thread by Clueless here but all the pix are missing. It must have been another victim of that outrageous photobucket purge unless you paid them ransom. wasn't it $400 or something??)

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »
^ I could be way off base with my wine country assessment but it seems to attract a lot of people.  Geneva on the Lake is a fun place I used to drive out there as a teenager with my friends.  Maybe I'll take my kids out there this summer.

Offline plinth857

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2018, 05:25:13 PM »
^I don't know how economically viable Geneva is overall though (but I think they also have a large Hispanic pop. now because of the agricultural jobs that attracted them to the area in the first place). Come to think of it, I've never been to its downtown, only Geneva-on-the-Lake, which has always been sort of a tourist spot, although that was in the earlier days when people stayed closer to home when going on vacation. And Madison is only a few short miles from Painesville, essentially the same area. But I guess the wine industry is a big thing now and growing. (I was going to post the Wine Country photo thread by Clueless here but all the pix are missing. It must have been another victim of that outrageous photobucket purge unless you paid them ransom. wasn't it $400 or something??)

Geneva has a cute little downtown area on Rt. 534.  But like a lot of Main St., USA downtowns that are too close to Wal-Marts and the like, it isn't as robust as it once was.  Still, there are some nice places to eat down there, and between Geneva and Geneva on the Lake's "downtown" is the State Park which has a gorgeous lodge right on the lake! 

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2018, 05:54:38 PM »
^I've long said that Medina, Lake, Geauga, Ashtabula and the other fringe counties should ban Wal-Marts. Travel through Vermont, and you will find small shop after small shop, all thriving.

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2018, 08:34:31 PM »
^what do you mean, "fringe counties?" How dare you? lol

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2018, 08:58:51 PM »
Speaking of small town downtowns, Ashtabula has two of them.  The main one (near Rt. 84) is really struggling, but the secondary one, "The Harbor", seems to be experiencing a resurgence.  The old stretches of buildings are in nice shape and there are some of the type of businesses you'd expect to find in Ohio City or Tremont in many of them.

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2018, 04:51:32 PM »
Is Meijer a decent supermarket? Although it looks like there's a bunch of them around both Columbus and Cincinnati, the Mentor store will be the first in the Cleveland area--

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20180402/mentor-kmart-demolition-underway-to-make-way-for-meijer?source=most_viewed

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
It's a notch above Walmart.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2018, 12:27:55 AM »
i wondered when when meijers was going to crack ne ohio.

Offline buckeye1

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2018, 09:12:28 AM »
i wondered when when meijers was going to crack ne ohio.

Two sites in Lorain County under development by Meijer also...
- new build on former Super K site in Lorain at Rt 58 and Cooper Foster Park Rd
- Avon on Nagel Road and Middleton Road just south of I-90

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »
today!

Enjoy delicious samples of a variety of chocolates at participating merchants in downtown Painesville. Then visit the wineries at the Gage House (47 S, State St.) where you can purchase tickets and a glass to sample the flavorful wines chosen especially for this event. The cost is $15 for 9 tickets and a souvenir glass, $12 for 9 tickets, or 1 ticket for $2. Each ticket represents a 1 oz tasting. Must be 21 and over to purchase tickets. Events starts at 4:30 PM and ends at 7:30 PM. Live entertainment by Maria Petti!!