PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Painesville / Lake County: Development and News  (Read 577 times)

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Lake County: Development and News
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »
I thought I would transform this into a general P'ville development thread, since, well, not that much really happens there :laugh:. This article is a good summary and mini-history of why the town got so messed up (to use a euphemism) in the first place, something I've been ranting about forever, and hopes for revival. But in truth, its sort of a microcosm of what sadly happened to larger cities in Ohio and across much of the country--

Restoring Painesville: The history, the breakdown and attempts to revitalize the city

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20140614/restoring-painesville-the-history-the-breakdown-and-attempts-to-revitalize-the-city

Painesville in 1907 (courtesy of the Lake County Historical Society)

By Devon Turchan, The News-Herald
POSTED: 06/14/14, 11:15 PM EDT

Lifelong Painesville resident Tony Torre is unimpressed with many of the changes taking place in his city. The Main Street Streetscape project currently underway will widen the north sidewalk and narrow the roadway.

Driving down the streets of downtown Painesville in the early decades of the 1900s, the lucky owner of a Model T would have seen hundreds of people out and about.

Families would have been strolling, buying ice cream, having a hat repaired or visiting the area’s only bank.

From the time of its first settlers in 1800 until the post-World War II era, the village once known as Champion was a significant commerce hub for the Western Reserve.

Tony Torre has lived in Painesville for the 88 years since he was born and is a witness to the extreme difference from then to now.
“The sidewalks were always full of people,” he said, standing in a parking lot on Main Street where a thriving department store called Gale G. Grant and an ice cream store called Isaly’s Ice cream formerly stood. “The manager of Isaly’s had a daughter ... I went there so often I started dating the daughter. And I married her.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:02:16 PM by eastvillagedon »

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 12:18:07 PM »
It might be a little bit of a stretch to call this area an "historic district," but the railroad museum is good idea--

City interested in adding preservation district for Painesville Railroad Museum

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20150128/city-interested-in-adding-preservation-district-for-painesville-railroad-museum

"City officials in Painesville are looking at adding momentum to a local group’s efforts in preserving and restoring a historic railroad station.

Painesville Ward 1 Councilman Andrew Flock is gathering support on a proposal to establish a historic preservation district around Railroad Street, the Painesville Railroad Museum that sits along the brick street, all the land north of the street, and an 80-year-old restaurant that sits across the street from the museum."

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »
Apart from the name--High Pointe Centre (which sounds generic and pretentious at once)--maybe this will provide some hope (I'm trying not to be too cynical--shades of the New Market Mall :laugh:). While only in a crude planning stage at least this constitutes some progress; but the only reason this empty tract of land exists is because they tore the century old hospital down! (but that's dwelling in the past). I do find it somewhat amusing how the city is now trying to integrate Lake Erie College more into the fabric of Painesville, albeit out of economic necessity. For most of its 150+ years, Lake Erie was regarded (at least by us "townies") as a somewhat snobby women's college (modeled after Mt. Holyoke), but now for thirty or so years it has been coed--and very sports-oriented (the schools founders must be rolling over in their graves). Ah well, like everybody else here, I hope they put in a Trader Joe's (and that doesn't seem so farfetched--at least to me. While Painesville city's demographics obviously aren't appealing enough for a TJ's, the surrounding communities--Mentor, etc.--would certainly shop there)

Painesville's State of the City touches on role of High Pointe Centre

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20150201/painesvilles-state-of-the-city-touches-on-role-of-high-pointe-centre

By Matt Skrajner, The News-Herald
POSTED: 02/01/15, 12:01 AM EST | UPDATED: 34 SECS AGO 3

At the annual Painesville State of the City address on Jan. 29, the proposed development plan for the former Lake East Hospital site was at the center of much of the discussion. 

Now known as High Pointe Centre, the project was the subject of about a half dozen inquiries from the audience at the Elks Lodge Painesville 0549 during the new question-and-answer format of the address.

Painesville City Manager Anthony Carson said the space at Liberty and East Washington streets that’s currently empty after the hospital was demolished in December 2010 will be the key in the continuing revitalization of the downtown area.

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 01:42:38 PM »
I thought it was time for an update on Painesville "developments," but since there generally aren't any to speak of, I'll just post this:

The nearly completed streetscape project, a portion of which is shown here, has reached a snag, as the contractor has bailed from the project for some reason (I guess I should know more details but don't. Whatever). But as you can see, "beautification" efforts continue apace downtown as there is very little traffic or pedestrian activity to impede them (okay, that was way too cynical, even for me). They even recruited a bunch of elementary school kids to "volunteer" (I hope at least they got pizza or something to reward their labors). What's more disturbing though, is that in the second picture (w/kids), the building in the background is slated for demolition. It dates from the 1920's and I remember it as a Sears store (back when it was still Sears, Roebuck & Co and looked like something from the 1940's). Apparently the building was sold for a bargain price (even for Painesville!) and will be replaced with a (probably ugly) government services structure. Another piece of history soon to be gone :-( (it's not like the town is lacking in empty spaces--i.e. parking lots--to build anew) But hope springs eternal, as a "First Fridays" program will kick off June 5 (I wonder what "Many Shops and Restaurants" they're talking about :wtf:)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:49:38 PM by eastvillagedon »

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 01:42:01 PM »
Fairport Harbor: the new Orlando (?!?!)

Water park proposed for Fairport Harbor

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/lake-county/2015/05/21/fairport-harbor-could-be-getting-water-park/27695959/

FAIRPORT HARBOR, Ohio -- Major developments could be coming to Fairport Harbor. The village has views from Lake Erie and the Grand River. Now developers want to use those amenities for a brand new amenity.

Walk around Fairport Harbor and you'll see the word is starting to get around, they may be getting a new water park.

"It would be good for my business, it would be good for my neighborhood," said Fairport Harbor resident Rusty Phillips. "I think it needs it tremendously. If you look around, there's a lot of boarded up buildings, makes you want to scratch your head when we have one of the best resources in Lake Erie sitting right there in our backyard. There's no reason this community cannot grow and become something special."
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:38:10 AM by ColDayMan »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
Ironically, the Fairport, Painesville & Eastern Railroad is being reactivated and rebuilt to serve an unknown customer. FP&E was a shortline which links to the Fairport docks to the busy CSX and NS mainlines that run parallel to each other between Cleveland and Buffalo. Interesting.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Deech

• Metropolitan Tower 224'

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »
It might be a little bit of a stretch to call this area an "historic district," but the railroad museum is good idea--

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20150128/city-interested-in-adding-preservation-district-for-painesville-railroad-museum

"City officials in Painesville are looking at adding momentum to a local group’s efforts in preserving and restoring a historic railroad station.

Painesville Ward 1 Councilman Andrew Flock is gathering support on a proposal to establish a historic preservation district around Railroad Street, the Painesville Railroad Museum that sits along the brick street, all the land north of the street, and an 80-year-old restaurant that sits across the street from the museum."

I didn't know the Lincoln Funeral train was shipped in on a truck and placed on a fake track! It seems so Disney-ish :-P  But I guess it always attracts a lot of people and in this case gave a lot of attention to the proposed railroad museum. But still...

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:51:08 PM by eastvillagedon »

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2015, 12:56:36 PM »
Taste of Painesville--tonight 5 to 10pm...

...also, Cuzin's Soul Food opens! Steele Mansion's Carol Shamakian (center) recommended the collard greens and peach cobbler. lol
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:58:56 PM by eastvillagedon »

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
new Mexican place in town: Hungry Jose's Taqueria. Although their profile picture does little to debunk Mexican stereotypes--lol

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2015, 12:12:08 PM »
this is good news--

Fairport Harbor Marine Museum undergoing significant restoration

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20151019/fairport-harbor-marine-museum-undergoing-significant-restoration

By Tawana Roberts, The News-Herald
POSTED: 10/19/15, 6:08 PM EDT | UPDATED: 2 HRS AGO 0

The Fairport Harbor Marine Museum is reconstructing the mast that has stood on its property since 1949.

A mast is a structure on a sailing vessel that holds up a sail, but is now being used as a flagpole at the museum.

“The mast is originally from the USS Michigan,” said John Ollila, Fairport Harbor Historical Society trustee. “The uniqueness of a USS Michigan is that it’s the first iron-hulled ship in the U.S. Navy.”

The Fairport Harbor museum, located at 129 Second St., houses and preserves artifacts related to life on the Great Lakes and other maritime exhibits. The museum is located 129 Second St.

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2015, 01:11:41 PM »
Grind Time Cafe & Bakery opens within Your Vine or Mine wine bar :drunk:(It's a small town. The have to consolidate businesses)

Offline plinth857

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2015, 10:11:28 PM »
^^ I wonder if anyone ever takes that tuba off the wall and plays it.  THAT would be worth the price of admission and more in my opinion.

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2015, 01:34:36 PM »
^^ I wonder if anyone ever takes that tuba off the wall and plays it.  THAT would be worth the price of admission and more in my opinion.
only if they're dressed like this. Between doughnuts and wine maybe they can squeeze in a bierstube.

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2016, 01:04:24 PM »
DekHockey will be coming in May  :wtf:--

http://www.painesvilledekhockey.com/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:11:02 PM by eastvillagedon »

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 01:08:31 PM »
What are they there to learn? How not to run a school system?! Apparently a batch of Fulbright Scholars from Argentina also visited in the fall :wtf: Maybe the Painesville Schools are improving after decades of chronic slackerism (oh wait, that was just me). I think they're still the lowest ranked in Lake County (because of--among a multitude of excuses--the large number of English-as-a-second-language students; though obviously a good fit for educators from South America). Who knows how good the schools in Uruguay are :|--

Once again this year, Painesville City Local School District welcomes visiting Uruguayan Fulbright Scholars from the  Fulbright International Scholarship Program. This year, the district is host to four Fulbright Scholars who will spend two weeks in February working with and shadowing teachers and administrators in Painesville City Local Schools and visiting area colleges, schools and businesses.   

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2016, 12:15:23 PM »
what?!?!? (I already tried the Coastal Living link in the article. It didn't work for me. I guess that's a bad omen :-()

Fairport Harbor Lakefront Park in contest for ‘Best Beach in America 2016’

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20160311/fairport-harbor-lakefront-park-in-contest-for-best-beach-in-america-2016

Offline Pugu

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2016, 05:20:56 PM »
^Best in America?  No question! Fairport Harbor Beach is better than anything like Miami Beach or LA.

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2016, 01:50:35 PM »

If anyone is interested there's a fundraiser to benefit the RR museum tonight. As you can see it's not exactly black-tie. It looks like they're really making substantial  progress on this project--

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2016, 01:08:58 PM »
DekHockey will be coming in May  :wtf:--

http://www.painesvilledekhockey.com/

Dek Hockey premiers!

and little did I realize up until a few weeks ago that just steps from me on Sunday afternoons a form of this game (sans official rink) is played in Tompkins Square Park (but due to ongoing arthritic considerations it's unlikely I'll become a participant :laugh:)--
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:09:45 PM by eastvillagedon »

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2016, 01:25:22 PM »
just a few pictures of recent progress of the Painesville Railroad Museum (formerly the old train depot--1893). They don't have much of a budget and don't know when it officially opens, but it looks good--

Offline ts60

• Excavation Site
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2016, 08:56:40 PM »
Did the construction project Lake Erie College planned for the old Harvey high school lot ever start? I am not able to swing that way often, but I haven't heard anything for quite a long time.

Anyone know where some renders of it could be found?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2016, 04:39:47 PM »
Close enough....

Unionville Tavern -- Ohio's oldest -- on path to restoration (photos and video)
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/08/unionville_tavern_ohios_oldest.html

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2016, 08:03:07 PM »
Did the construction project Lake Erie College planned for the old Harvey high school lot ever start? I am not able to swing that way often, but I haven't heard anything for quite a long time.

Anyone know where some renders of it could be found?
no, and I'm not even sure Lake Erie has even acquired that property yet. I think they are planning more dorms for that site, no? I don't think the immediate neighbors are too happy about that, but the high school was there for almost ninety years (although those kids went home for the day--lol). Maybe you know more about this than I do. Also, I think there was once a cemetery on that site before the school was built.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2016, 09:54:21 PM »
Close enough....

Unionville Tavern -- Ohio's oldest -- on path to restoration (photos and video)
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/08/unionville_tavern_ohios_oldest.html

Just an FYI, Newcom's Tavern in Dayton was built in 1796, two years prior to Unionville Tavern.  Unless they mean "(formerly) still in use?"
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2016, 12:34:36 PM »
tomorrow--

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Painesville / Lake County: Development and News
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2017, 02:18:49 PM »
this is good to see, though the Railfest to which its referring will be at Lakeland Community College, not the museum--

A brighter Painesville Railroad Museum will host 2017 Railfest feast (photos, video)

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/03/a_brighter_painesville_railroad_museum_will_host_2017_railfest_feast_photos_video.html

PAINESVILLE, Ohio—"Brighter light will shine Saturday on the yearly Railfest banquet at the Painesville Railroad Museum.
Instead of temporary lights, new Victorian-style chandeliers will light up original hardwood beams at this 1893 station. Instead of boards and stained plexiglass, new acrylic will reveal the evening light through a massive bay window."

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »
luxury living...in Fairport Harbor??:| (good thing they cleaned up the river :-P)

Developer releases artist’s renderings of Fairport Harbor’s South Pointe on the River development

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20170324/NEWS/170329655

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:32:48 PM by eastvillagedon »

Online eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »
this looks like more fun than a person has a right to have, doesn't it? :| Since half the people in Painesville are still living in the 70's it won't seem like such a trip down mem'ry lane--lol (kidding :roll:)