PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Kroger  (Read 2117 times)

Offline OHSnap

• Kettering Tower 408'
Re: Cincinnati: Kroger
« Reply #300 on: June 21, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »
^ If I could just think of an analog...some sort of service that gets paid to put cardboard boxes on your doorstep.  I mean, if the boxes are brown...maybe the delivery service could be brown, too...man, why hasn't someone thought of this concept yet?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:21:02 PM by OHSnap »

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #301 on: June 21, 2017, 03:28:13 PM »
Mail carriers don't do it with drones and probably won't anytime soon. I have 100% faith that Amazon will have auto-piloted drones long before USPS or UPS or whatever, while expensive-@ss 1 day delivery for urgent mail still actually takes two days if you have it shipped on Saturday or 3 days if you have it shipped on Saturday and the following Monday is a holiday. That's so obnoxious. Every time I turn around, it's another Monday holiday that no one even celebrates in America. That crap happens to me every time I lose my debit card and need a new one. I hate the concept of 'business days.'

The most efficient and quick delivery will be for crap made in China that we don't even need quickly.

Sorry, I once again have caused a thread to go off topic.   :yap:

Go Kroger!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:37:10 PM by David »

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #302 on: June 21, 2017, 04:48:54 PM »
We're a lot closer to self-driving cars than you think, and drones actually probably pose less of a safety risk to human health than those, not more.  In terms of the loads drones would be able to carry, remember that they wouldn't need to be able to carry as much as a UPS delivery truck or even an average car.  A lightweight drone capable of carrying just 70 lbs (a frequent number used in the physical requirements for package delivery) would be able to do a great deal of work if it could be run cheaply enough, because it could run 24/7 (granted some grocery deliveries wouldn't quite work at 4 a.m., but some would).  But you're right, that's farther in the future.  But AmazonFresh already exists in several markets and now will be able to expand very rapidly into any market served by a Whole Foods.  In-store pickup is also obviously an area that Amazon will be able to offer very quickly using its own online platform and Whole Foods' stores (many grocery stores are already moving in this direction with their own platforms, but Amazon has a massive preexisting user base used to their platform--I don't need to learn the Giant Eagle platform or create yet another account for it).

I wonder how much crap kids are going to throw at them. Or thieves throwing a net over them.

Offline Gramarye

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #303 on: June 21, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »
We're a lot closer to self-driving cars than you think, and drones actually probably pose less of a safety risk to human health than those, not more.  In terms of the loads drones would be able to carry, remember that they wouldn't need to be able to carry as much as a UPS delivery truck or even an average car.  A lightweight drone capable of carrying just 70 lbs (a frequent number used in the physical requirements for package delivery) would be able to do a great deal of work if it could be run cheaply enough, because it could run 24/7 (granted some grocery deliveries wouldn't quite work at 4 a.m., but some would).  But you're right, that's farther in the future.  But AmazonFresh already exists in several markets and now will be able to expand very rapidly into any market served by a Whole Foods.  In-store pickup is also obviously an area that Amazon will be able to offer very quickly using its own online platform and Whole Foods' stores (many grocery stores are already moving in this direction with their own platforms, but Amazon has a massive preexisting user base used to their platform--I don't need to learn the Giant Eagle platform or create yet another account for it).

I wonder how much crap kids are going to throw at them. Or thieves throwing a net over them.

That phenomenon should recede to manageable levels once the drones start shooting back.   :evil: :shoot:

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #304 on: June 21, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »
Can a mod or admin please start a new commercial drone thread and relocate these recent posts to said potential thread? At this point, I believe it's safe to say that the conversation has next to nothing to do with Kroger (unless they have been considering drones for home delivery as well - something I'm not aware of.) A large company targeting launch pad sites for drone home delivery or the idea of launch pad sites used for any potential commercial use of drones would have a very profound impact on urban planning due to strategic locations where they'd be operating brick-and-mortar stores for distribution and home delivery service. I believe this does warrant a discussion yet shouldn't clutter a thread dedicated to Kroger-specific news. Unless some lurking Kroger exec makes and account and decides to weigh in on all this high-tech stuff and explain where they come into play and how Kroger is still relevant to all this, it's just not a pertinent conversation but I do believe it's a conversation worth having, on here.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:23:43 PM by David »

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #305 on: June 21, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »
^I started a drone thread in 2014.  It's still there but nobody has posted other than me. 

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #306 on: June 21, 2017, 05:38:45 PM »
What was the thread called? They need to bump it by adding these recent posts. I don't think anyone would argue that it's an extremely fascinating subject. Amazon drones making home deliveries probably are coming eventually, as outlandish as it may seem. Yet there hasn't been much thought put into their consequence.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:43:44 PM by David »

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
Lawmaker Wants Antitrust Panel To Take A Closer Look At Amazon, Whole Foods Merger

U.S. Representative David Cicilline, the top Democrat on the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee’s antitrust panel, sent a letter [PDF] to the chairman of the Committee on the Judiciary and the chairman of the antitrust subcommittee, urging them to hold a hearing to consider whether the merger will harm consumers, workers, and small businesses.

He cites concerns that “the combination of Amazon’s competitive advantages in terms of size, consumer reach, and ability to absorb losses may discourage innovation and entrance into emerging markets, such as grocery and food delivery.”

https://consumerist.com/2017/07/14/lawmaker-wants-antitrust-panel-to-take-a-closer-look-at-amazon-whole-foods-merger/

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #308 on: October 03, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
Kroger stock jumps amid acquisition rumors

Kroger Co.’s stock surged Tuesday as investors weighed rumors it might be looking to get involved in a huge merger or acquisition.

Talk heated up once again that Cincinnati-based Kroger (NYSE: KR), the nation’s largest operator of traditional supermarkets, might be considering linking up with Dutch supermarket operator Ahold Delhaize.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/10/03/kroger-stock-jumps-amid-acquisition-rumors.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers