PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland Cavs Discussion  (Read 27789 times)

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland Cavs Discussion
« Reply #4470 on: February 03, 2013, 06:10:28 PM »
I gather Mo really wants to play in Cleveland: lots of PT on a young, rising team with an All Star PG who will get him the ball... He also forfieted his Bird rights in OK'ing the trade which also indicates he wants to be here...  He's only played a few games with us, but his impact has been huge.  Speights, esp, and Ellington and Livingston have suddenly turned our sorry 2nd unit into a formidible bunch.  In fact, they generally have been stronger than the 1st unit, and collectively they play better D -- esp. Ellington. They've broght us back in games that the 1st unit has put us behind the 8 ball... I hope the Cavs to all they can do to convince him to stay.  He's a young Big who has muscle and can score from a variety of spots, including the 15-18 footer. 

I don't want to lose him.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4471 on: February 04, 2013, 08:05:23 AM »
I'm sure Speights saw opportuninity.  But I wouldntt be overly optimistic going into the offseason with him.  With the role he is playing, he is upping his value by the day.  The man wants to get paid this summer and playing sparingly behind Randolph and Gasol wasn't going to get him the contraact he wants.  Of course he wanted to come here. 

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4472 on: February 04, 2013, 07:10:36 PM »
All players shop their wares in free agent years, so there's nothing new about that.  But there's no denying that Speights is the strongest and most talented/versatile big man the Cavs have had since Brad Daugherty and the Cavs, given the dearth of high-grade talent that's come through Cleveland since since July 10, 2010 -- save Kyrie of course, can ill afford to piss away such a talent with a primary eye (in this trade) on a first round draft pick loaded with so many protections, it may not materialize until 6 years from now.

Offline Flee2theCleve

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #4473 on: February 05, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »
Whoa let's calm down he has had a few good games, but let's wait and see him do this over an extended period of time

Offline Whipjacka

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #4474 on: February 06, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »
Call a doctor 'cause i'm starting to catch dat fever!

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #4475 on: February 06, 2013, 11:18:57 PM »
Call a doctor 'cause i'm starting to catch dat fever!

Call the doctor because Charlotte got their ass kicked up and down the floor. I mean, 100 points scored by the Cavs BEFORE the 4th period started?? Damn......

Kyrie: "Wow, coach was right! When you play with energy against the bad teams, not only will you win, but you can kick the crap out of them! I like it. Let's do another one!!"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:17:45 AM by KJP »
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Cleveland Cavs Discussion
« Reply #4476 on: February 07, 2013, 05:47:47 AM »
I didn't get a chance to watch the game, and was pleasantly surprised to see the score. However, I was outright shocked to see that Kyrie only had 22 of the 122 points!

I even checked the standings. Stupid Boston is on a 5 game win streak so we are still 10 1/2 games back of the 8th seed. But 6-8 are clumped tightly together so if one of them go on a skid we could make up some ground.

Also may I admit I am mildly relieved, I was beginning to wonder when Scott was going to get these guys playing with some drive.

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #4477 on: February 07, 2013, 06:27:44 AM »
So that trade w/Memphis was pretty good, yes? 

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4478 on: February 07, 2013, 06:31:11 AM »
Im sure HTS121 can correct me, but if Lakers sneak in the playoffs (only 3 games out), we will get their pick? Which unless they just go unconscious will be a 15-20 pick.  AND if Memphis tanks (with Gay gone, not unrealistic), we will get their pick as well?

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #4479 on: February 07, 2013, 06:41:10 AM »
^ Yes that's correct...Root for the Lakers to get the 7th or 8th seed, and Memphis to lose. 

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4480 on: February 07, 2013, 06:43:20 AM »
So that trade w/Memphis was pretty good, yes? 
Yes. We took advantage of their cap issues and gave our team a bench. Looks good to me.

Is Z working with Zeller? Does anybody know what his capacity with the team is now?

Offline baseballmn907

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #4481 on: February 07, 2013, 06:50:12 AM »
^ Zeller needs to gain 15 lbs of muscle and then check in with Z.  The guy is too soft right now.  Getting bullied in the league.  But it's always nice to have a 7 footer, right? (Ryan Hollins?)

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4482 on: February 07, 2013, 06:56:13 AM »
Ryan Who? Never speak that name again...Although I saw Zeller miss a dunk last week ala' Hollins.

Seven freaking feet tall and you regularly missed dunks? How is that possible?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:58:22 AM by CBC »

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4483 on: February 07, 2013, 08:02:57 AM »
Good to see the Cavs open up a can of u-know-what on one of the bottom feeders.... well, actually THE bottom feeder.  Something has definitely clicked.  I suspect there is a little friendly rivalry going between the starters and bench as to who is going to play better each game and it is paying off.  We have a lot of raw talent in the starting lineup and then the bench is supplying the necessary veteran presence.

I agree that there should be a rule against mentioning Ryan Hollins.  I once saw/heard a scouting report on him that was something like...... legit 7footer, mobile, runs like a deer, jumps out of the gym, extremely athletic and nimble for his size, lacks basketball skills

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4484 on: February 07, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »
LOL...lacks basketball skills. That about sums it up.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4485 on: February 07, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
I agree that there should be a rule against mentioning Ryan Hollins.  I once saw/heard a scouting report on him that was something like...... legit 7footer, mobile, runs like a deer, jumps out of the gym, extremely athletic and nimble for his size, lacks basketball skills

Yes! Aaron Goldhammer on WKNR used to read this scouting report over and over.

"Lacks basketball skills? How is he in the league? The sport is BASKETBALL!"

It will never cease to be hilarious!

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4486 on: February 07, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »
say what you want about Hollins, the one time the cavs beat Lebron in our house, they couldnt of done without Holins.  He was ready to throw down the entire game.  He looked pissed and he didnt even have anything to do with Lebron's teams.  H made it personal and the fans appreciated that.

Offline stpats44113

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #4487 on: February 07, 2013, 02:12:33 PM »
Memphis would have to tank pretty hard. We only get their pick if its between 6 and 14

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4488 on: February 07, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »
^This year.  We WILL eventually get a 1st rounder from them.  It eventually loses its protection (no protection in 2019 iirc).  The pick that is up in the air is the "right to swap" we have with the Lakers from the Sessions trade.  We have the right to swap any of our picks (including the one Miami owes us) for their pick so long as it is not in the lottery.  If they don't make the playoffs this year and/or we don't exercise our option to swap, then the right to swap expires.  There is no carryover into future years.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4489 on: February 07, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:07:36 PM by KJP »
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #4490 on: February 09, 2013, 07:17:50 AM »
Cavs win again.  Speights is a beast....

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4491 on: February 09, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
Whoa let's calm down he has had a few good games, but let's wait and see him do this over an extended period of time

Maybe you need to follow the NBA a little bit.  Speights was a 1st Round (No. 14 pick) in a strong class.  As a sophomore, he starred in the NCAA championship game where Florida bested  Greg Oden/OSU.  He was injured early on with Philadelphia, and played behind (then strong) Elton Brand.  On Memphis he played behind Randolph and Marc Gasol.  Even in college at Florida, Speights had to play behind guys like Al Horford and Jokim Noah, and yet he still turned heads ... You don't need to see a ton of games to see this man clearly has skills over every current and recent big man the Cavs have had in recent years -- including Andy, who always works hard and has upped his game considerably and Tristan Thompson, who is improving before our eyes... Who else among Cavs' Bigs:  JJ Hickson?  Z (maybe Z pre-foot injury in the 90s, and I'm not even sure about that)?  an old Shaq? Drew Gooden??  ... I think not.  In terms of mobility, ability to score around the basket, ability to score from distance, rebounding, space-eating; Speights can even dribble/beat you off the dribble in the open court ... when you put all those skills together, the Cavs haven't had such a player.  And with Zeller still growing, needing to add strength and Andy out injured yet again, the Cavs would be absolutely crazy not to make a full-court press to secure this 25-year-old man as one of the cornerstones of this team...

And what Speights has done already, to change the losing culture and attitude of this Titanic-like club, is more than obvious yet beyond measurable statistics.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:37:31 AM by clvlndr »

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4492 on: February 09, 2013, 08:26:45 AM »
Another nice overall game guys! It wasn't always pretty but a decisive win over a team we were suppose to beat.

Orlando's big Vuric? Had a really nice game. He owned us (mostly Zeller, but he got other guys too).

Big game tonight.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:33:35 AM by CBC »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4493 on: February 09, 2013, 11:53:01 PM »
Big game tonight.

Yes it was -- for Denver. They won that game in the closing minutes of the second period. They are the highest-scoring team in the third period, so we couldn't let them make that spurt right before half. But we did and that dug a hole we couldn't get out of.

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4494 on: February 13, 2013, 08:31:37 PM »
Craaaaap! That would have been a nice win over the Spurs going into the break. Zeller showed up tonight.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4495 on: February 13, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »
Craaaaap! That would have been a nice win over the Spurs going into the break. Zeller showed up tonight.

Yep. That hurt. Zeller showed up by Kyrie disappeared in the 4th -- when he usually excels. Too many missed shots, including the last one. Maybe the ankle is still bothering him?

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4496 on: February 14, 2013, 05:33:15 AM »
I am guessing it was the ankle. He rolled it pretty badly last game.

FWIW the Spurs were probably looking past the Cavs, but we still played them tough and should have won as a team without Kyrie at full capacity to score. That would have been sweet...

They have really been clicking most nights the last few weeks. Dion and Kyrie seem to be on the same page. Gee is putting up some offensive numbers again. I can't say enough about Speights and Livingston off the bench. It's been painful at times to watch Zeller get pushed around but last night showed that it's making him better and he gets it.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:46:10 AM by CBC »

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4497 on: February 15, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »
I am also concerned that Kyrie is hurt worse than he is letting on.  If his ankle "flares up" after the All-Star weekend, then I will have to smdh.  When he rolled his ankle, I immediately thought what was probably the first thing to go through his mind..... that he was going to miss his first All-Star game.

Dion has been playing great as of late.  His numbers haven't jumped, but his %'s have.  He is taking better, smarter shots.  He still needs to quit ticking off the refs...... I know he isn't getting all the calls he should, but pissing and moaning like he does is akin to picking a scab.  He needs to accept that, as a rookie, he won't get half of the calls he deserves.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:03:09 AM by Hts121 »

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4499 on: February 18, 2013, 06:26:20 AM »
Agreed. That was the most I have seen of the Cavs in national coverage in two years (minus coverage of the losing streak). They also have a national game on Wednesday night coming out of All-star weekend. I think we've finally found Kyrie Irving and he's out from under the cushions of the RV.

Side note, LeBron was really really really happy and jumped out of his seat during the finals of the 3 point contest when Kyrie was stroking almost every single shot.