PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland Cavs Discussion  (Read 28105 times)

Offline tedders55

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: Cleveland Cavs Discussion
« Reply #4320 on: October 30, 2012, 10:17:33 AM »
If Tristan doesn't show any improvement then that was a colossal miss on a top 5 draft pick.  Those picks shouldn't come around that often and when they do you have to make them count.  Missing there will basically waste what is left of Andy's value to the team. 

Offline Loretto

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4321 on: October 30, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
I think near .500 is too optimistic for this year, but hopefully not next year. I'm expecting for ~.400-.430 at the end of the year assuming they don't go and try to tank for ping pong balls. I just think the new pieces coming in this year having a year of experience is what will push up to legitimate 8th seed contention.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:11:03 AM by Loretto »

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4322 on: October 30, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
Tristan and Waiters are only busted picks if the alternatives picked below them prove to be better.  Tristan will likely be judged based on how the Lithuanian kid Toronto picked right after him pans out this year.  You have to judge a draft based on its relative strength.  A lot of people thought the 2012 draft was going to be the second coming of 2003...... I would say it was one of the weakest drafts in recent memory.  Those same people largely panned the 2011 draft, but I think that draft will, in hindsight, turn out to be much stronger than anticipated.

Tristan should flirt with 10 boards/game this year.  If he does that and shows some improvement on offense, I will be encouraged.  I still expect him to grow into his a body quite a bit over the next few years so I think the best from him is still down the road.  I'm not expecting much out of Waiters this year, but if Harrison Barnes really shows up in GS or Drummond starts tearing it up in Detroit, then people are going to groan about that pick.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4323 on: October 30, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »
Keeping in mind that we were playing one of the worst teams in the league which was missing arguably its two best players, that was a great way to open the season.  A win is a win.  We had pretty good control of that game except for the span in the 2nd half when the bench let the Wizards back in the game.  I don't know how many of those we will see against the quality teams we will play, but I will say that this Cavs team is going to be exciting to watch.

I think I finally get the logic of picking Waiters.  With him and Kyrie on the court together, they are pretty much interchangeable between the 1 and the 2.  It allows Dion to play to his strengths and it allows Kyrie to play some off the ball at different points in the game.  They both looked great tonight.  Kyrie did was Kyrie does.  Waiters seemed to get to the basket at will.  He might needs to work on his 'touch' around the rim, but he definitely can get to the rim..... which is more than half the battle IMO. 

Andy was wow.  9, 23, 9.  He is the glue and keeps us going.  Tristan complimented him nicely.  I liked what I saw out of Tristan.  He seemed a bit more physical and I will take 12, 10, 5, 2 from him any night.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4324 on: October 31, 2012, 01:12:53 AM »
Yeah, I know the Wiz is a bad team, that also was without it's 2 best players, but any win is good, esp for a young, new team out of the gate.  And though it's only 1 game, it was nice to see the much questioned Waiters (questioned by me, esp) thoroughly out play the highly coveted Beal who was drafted ahead of Waiters.   Thompson played with a ton of energy.  And Andy?  not much more one can add about such an amazing performance by the Wild Thing.... Nice crowd, too, despite Sandy and the blackouts all over....

... the blemish of course was the awful play by the bench.  CJ Miles, in particular, wasn't mentally there.  Gibson, despite a hot start, was horrible during the 4th quarter swoon. 

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #4325 on: October 31, 2012, 06:54:49 AM »
Zeller looked alright for his 1st game.  He needs to be a little more aggressive, but overall I like what he can bring to this team...

The Q was rocking last night.  It was nice seeing T-Rich, Weeden, Haden, Rucker, and a number of other Browns supporting the Cavs.  Even Fausto was there sitting behind the bench! 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:44:31 PM by Clefan98 »

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4326 on: October 31, 2012, 01:51:11 PM »
I think I finally get the logic of picking Waiters.  With him and Kyrie on the court together, they are pretty much interchangeable between the 1 and the 2.  It allows Dion to play to his strengths and it allows Kyrie to play some off the ball at different points in the game.  They both looked great tonight.  Kyrie did was Kyrie does.  Waiters seemed to get to the basket at will.  He might needs to work on his 'touch' around the rim, but he definitely can get to the rim..... which is more than half the battle IMO. 

If it keeps working out like this, I'm thrilled with Waiters.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #4327 on: November 03, 2012, 08:47:38 AM »
And then they played Chicago and went down the toilet. My friend and I went to the game but we bailed in the middle of the third period -- along with many others.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4328 on: November 03, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
There was a span in the late 1st and early 2nd during which it looked like the Bulls were playing a D-league team.  I know it's cliche to say they got to all of the loose balls..... but I think the Bulls literally did get to every loose ball

Offline stpats44113

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #4329 on: November 03, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »
I couldn't watch it. It was too painful. The only one who looked like they belonged in the league last night was Varejao. Even Irving looked mediocre.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4330 on: November 03, 2012, 10:10:59 AM »
That and the defensive lapses. Chicago was driving the lane uncontested. Then the Cavs weren't boxing out. On the other end, the Cavs couldn't get into the paint. I was following ABJ's Jason Lloyd (and sitting about 2 rows behind him!). At one point, he tweeted that the Cavs took something like 19 shots and none were from the paint. No fight in that team last night.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:11:45 AM by KJP »
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4331 on: November 06, 2012, 07:59:51 AM »
Waiters scores 28 -- highest for a rookie so far in this young season -- in beating the Clippers in LA. Great win!!

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2012/11/waiters_irving_lead_cavs_to_vi.html

BTW, I hope Zeller is OK.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:07:08 AM by KJP »

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4332 on: November 06, 2012, 08:49:28 AM »
Waiters scores 28 -- highest for a rookie so far in this young season -- in beating the Clippers in LA. Great win!!

Chris Grant....secret genius? 

Offline Whipjacka

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #4333 on: November 06, 2012, 09:05:07 AM »
or hot from three?

Offline Loretto

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4334 on: November 07, 2012, 08:01:26 PM »
Zeller is out Indefinitely with a non-displaced fracture on his cheek bone.

CJ Miles is out with flu like symptoms

Varejao is sitting out due to knee soreness.

Going to be a rough night.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4335 on: November 08, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »
Still, they lost by only 10. Worried about Varejao. I suspect Zeller will be sporting the Richard Hamilton facemask zoon....

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4336 on: November 11, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »
A couple half-glass full notations after the first six games of the season.....

- We are literally two jump shots (end of games against Bucks and Suns) away from being 4-2

- Our starting backcourt is averaging 40 points/gm

- Even though they might not win much, this is an exciting team to watch play

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4337 on: November 11, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »
- Even though they might not win much, this is an exciting team to watch play

Even if they were to go 2-80, I would still enjoy the Cavs, and mainly because I love watching Kyrie play.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 09:08:02 AM by jam40jeff »

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4338 on: November 13, 2012, 07:42:13 PM »
Could there be anyone in the NBA that looks like they don't belong on the floor any more than Jon Leuer?

Offline Loretto

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4339 on: November 13, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »
It's going to be hard to agree with that given that I know that the rest of the Cavs bench exists.

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4340 on: November 13, 2012, 07:56:02 PM »
i actually think Leuer isnt terrible.  That being said, the bench besides boobie sucks.  Andy has 35 tonight. Andy who is about as offensive as I am.  Perfect.  Somebody help this poor guy.  That being said.  I still like this team and expect them to make a run at the 7 or 8 seed

Offline Loretto

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4341 on: November 13, 2012, 08:10:06 PM »
I like the team and will keep watching, but not because I think they'll be anywhere near an 8th seed.  Get well soon Tyler Zeller.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4342 on: November 14, 2012, 08:26:44 AM »
The bench is just a disaster.  That group is digging holes which the starters can't fight their way out of.  The good news is that a decent bench can probably be bought via free agency and we have an owner who is willing to spend.  The bad news is that we usually have to overpay free agents to play here over more attractive winter destinations and/or more solidified teams.  At the moment, absent some total reversal of how they are playing, we might be well served to reallys start scouting the D-league to hopefully find a diamond in the rough.  I wonder if Lester Hudson is still looking for a team?

I was waiting for Dion to have an off-night.  He wasn't taking bad shots last night..... they just weren't falling.

Serious question - has there ever been a player in the history of the NBA that had his dunks blocked more than Tristan?  It seems as if that straight up with two hands move he uses results in the ball being swatted more than it does in a dunk.  Last year, I thought it was just a matter of adding some upper body strenth.  It seems to be more than just that.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:27:57 AM by Hts121 »

Offline Clevelander17

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4343 on: November 18, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I like the idea of putting Waiters on the bench to provide a scoring punch for the second team. 

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4344 on: November 18, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »
Serious question - has there ever been a player in the history of the NBA that had his dunks blocked more than Tristan?  It seems as if that straight up with two hands move he uses results in the ball being swatted more than it does in a dunk.  Last year, I thought it was just a matter of adding some upper body strenth.  It seems to be more than just that.

Haha, I had this exact thought a few days ago.  It has nothing to do with upper body strength and everything to do with him exposing the ball and saying "please block this dunk".  It's so predictable.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4345 on: November 19, 2012, 08:15:59 PM »
Kyrie out 4 weeks with fractured finger.  Looks like Dion is gonna have to grow up real quick..... breaking out of his mini-slump would be a start.  I think we have to play Boobie in place of KI2, which is going to make our bench that much more cwappy.  This could get ugly

Offline Loretto

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4346 on: November 19, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »
It's all good we have the masked duo.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4347 on: November 19, 2012, 11:24:20 PM »
Kyrie out 4 weeks with fractured finger.

Whoa! I missed that news. At least now I'll know why the Cavs will enter 2013 without adding any more to wins to their grand total of two so far. We may be looking at 2-17 when Kyrie comes back.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4348 on: November 21, 2012, 09:55:42 PM »
Kyrie who?  :)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4349 on: November 21, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »
Yeah right. I have no recollection of the Cavs picking up someone named Jeremy Pargo in the offseason. None. Nothing. Nada.