Author Topic: The Official *I Love Cleveland* Thread  (Read 54618 times)

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: The Official *I Love Cleveland* Thread
« Reply #2730 on: May 18, 2017, 11:59:04 AM »
Dan Chaon

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2731 on: May 18, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »
^Not surprised. None of our business, of course, but these things can get messy.

Well, sad to see we're down a high brow celebrity. Very subjective, of course, but who else would be on that list? Dan Chaon? Jamey Haddad (though I think he moved to Oberlin- not sure if that counts)?

Cleveland is gaining Geraldo. Much more famous than Ruhlman...and arguably sexier.

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2732 on: May 18, 2017, 12:59:39 PM »
and don't we sort of half have one of the Kardashians? You can tell I don't follow them, or sports.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2733 on: May 18, 2017, 01:15:48 PM »
^Not surprised. None of our business, of course, but these things can get messy.

Well, sad to see we're down a high brow celebrity. Very subjective, of course, but who else would be on that list? Dan Chaon? Jamey Haddad (though I think he moved to Oberlin- not sure if that counts)?

Cleveland is gaining Geraldo. Much more famous than Ruhlman...and arguably sexier.

Yep, and I'm sure Geraldo has written books, even though I haven't read any of them...

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2734 on: May 18, 2017, 01:26:59 PM »

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2735 on: May 18, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »
I've never heard of any of those people (except for the fat Kardashian and I'm sure if she lives here it's very part time.)

I guess fat Kardashian isn't right anymore. Ugly Kardashian is what I meant.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:35:59 PM by David »

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2736 on: May 18, 2017, 01:39:46 PM »

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline originaljbw

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #2738 on: May 18, 2017, 02:03:50 PM »
There's also Doug Cooper. From his wiki page...
Doug Cooper (born June 5, 1970, Douglas Allan Cooper) is an American writer of literary fiction. His debut novel, Outside In, won the 2014 International Book Award for Literary Fiction, 2014 USA Best Book Award for Literary Fiction, and a 2015 Bronze IPPY from the Independent Publisher Book Awards.

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2739 on: May 18, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
and me, of course. But I'm only famous in my own mind.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2740 on: May 20, 2017, 02:20:25 PM »

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2741 on: May 20, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
I always love these smug easterners' view expressed in the article's headline: Geraldo is moving to "Ohio" as if Cleveland, greater Cleveland in this case, isn't even worth mentioning even though Cleveland is mentioned in the article... The NY Post is a rag, anyway.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2742 on: May 21, 2017, 09:15:43 AM »
^ i know, i hate when they do that

dont read the article about what ruhlman's new wife first said to him. that was worse.

vanessa bayer leaving snl after 7 years:

http://deadline.com/2017/05/vanessa-bayer-saturday-night-live-1202097825/

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2744 on: May 25, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
Not much of a surprise, considering his new wife lives there and his old one is here.

Hmm, I heard it wasn't so much about a girl as opposed to something else.....  Either way, when he left last year it wasn't on good terms with his wife. 

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2745 on: May 25, 2017, 01:56:31 PM »
I'm mostly sad we've lost a Cleveland champion to NYC.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2746 on: May 27, 2017, 01:15:40 AM »
^ i know & he is right at it -- ruhlman just gave a talk at 92nd st y with dan barber & ruth reichl.

but ny gives back a bit -- ny magazine travel has a nice, fresh guide on cleveland:

http://nymag.com/travel/weekend-escapes/cleveland/

Online Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #2747 on: June 07, 2017, 12:46:50 PM »
Lead story on Yahoo:

Cleveland rocks: No ‘mistake’ about it

Once considered the “mistake by the lake,” Cleveland is getting the last laugh. After a banner year in 2016 — playing host to the Republican National Convention and winning an NBA championship — the city is beaming with pride, and residents are eager to get the word out about everything the “CLE” has to offer.

“There are some travelers that’ll measure cities by do they have great food, do they have great music, do they have great sports. Cleveland has all of that, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,” said Greg Harris, the Hall of Fame’s president and CEO.

While it may be rocking a major confidence boost, Cleveland is still a work in progress. Yahoo Global News Anchor Katie Couric visited the once booming steel town for her series “Cities Rising: Rebuilding America.”

https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/cleveland-rocks-no-mistake-120535377.html?utm_content=55573948&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #2748 on: June 10, 2017, 03:16:40 PM »
Oracle Arena vs. Quicken Loans: Like Night and Day (or Warriors and Cavs)
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/09/sports/basketball/oracle-quicken-loans-arena-warriors-cavaliers.html
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2749 on: June 10, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
Oracle Arena vs. Quicken Loans: Like Night and Day (or Warriors and Cavs)
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/09/sports/basketball/oracle-quicken-loans-arena-warriors-cavaliers.html

"(Some people in Cleveland call it the Q, but Quicken Loans it is.)"

A lot still call it Gund, but probably not as many as say Jacobs Field or Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Offline freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2750 on: June 16, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
[youtube]https://youtu.be/fSvFJaV3PCA[/youtube]

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2751 on: June 16, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »
i think this is old, but it popped up on reddit recently so what the heck, its pretty funny --
has anybody ever flown in to milwaukee and actually seen it?

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2752 on: June 17, 2017, 02:17:21 PM »
I saw that a couple weeks ago. F-ing hilarious. He lives right by the airport in Milwaukee so it confuses and scares a lot of people sitting next to the window, who see it clear right before they land and think they took the wrong flight. The city tried to turn it legal and get him to stop but it never worked and he refuses to remove the lettering. It's a harmless prank. Whoever is taking those flights to Milwaukee will have a story to tell their friends.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2753 on: June 29, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »
Urban Hike: to water's edge
ERIN O'BRIEN | THURSDAY, JUNE 29, 2017

Last week, Fresh Water announced managing editor Erin O'Brien's departure. In this effort, O'Brien bids readers farewell with a good long walk along an offbeat path — one she offers as a stand in as locals eagerly await the completion of the four-phase Towpath Trail extension.

Stand at the Ohio & Erie Canalway's Harvard Road trailhead next to the hulking Arconic plant (formerly Alcoa) and face north.

Stretching out behind you are some 90 miles of nearly continuous all-purpose trail that winds all the way down to Tuscarawas County. And while that path is home to a veritable advent calendar of discoveries, the five miles before you are an adventure on their own.

MORE:
http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/features/UrbanHike062917.aspx
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2755 on: July 10, 2017, 02:28:24 AM »
Cool video. It really captures the vibe!  The Flats are awesome. I really need to make time to go down there soon. It's therapeutic :)

There's nothing like it along the Scioto or Ohio River :)

It's weird to me that so much attention is paid to the East bank. You get such an awesome view of Downtown Cleveland from the west side  :-P

I'd really like to experience Cleveland like that on boat. Sadly, I've never had the opportunity. Those are really beautiful views of the city. My favorite footage is on Lake Eerie in front of the Rock Hall! That would be so cool to experience that in person. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:59:18 AM by David »

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2756 on: July 10, 2017, 08:04:37 AM »
Cool video. It really captures the vibe!  The Flats are awesome. I really need to make time to go down there soon. It's therapeutic :)

It's weird to me that so much attention is paid to the East bank. You get such an awesome view of Downtown Cleveland from the west side  :-P

I'd really like to experience Cleveland like that on boat. Sadly, I've never had the opportunity. Those are really beautiful views of the city. My favorite footage is on Lake Eerie in front of the Rock Hall! That would be so cool to experience that in person.  Hopefully one day soon :)

East Bank is newer, and was also where the Flats resurgence began during the late 80s and early 90s.  The West Bank (Shooters et al) came in later, and is now older.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2757 on: July 10, 2017, 10:03:04 AM »
I'd really like to experience Cleveland like that on boat. Sadly, I've never had the opportunity. Those are really beautiful views of the city. My favorite footage is on Lake Eerie in front of the Rock Hall! That would be so cool to experience that in person. 

What's stopping you? The water taxi free. If you want to spend more time on the water, book a ride on the Goodtime III or the Nautica Queen.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2758 on: July 10, 2017, 11:38:23 AM »

I'd really like to experience Cleveland like that on boat. Sadly, I've never had the opportunity. Those are really beautiful views of the city. My favorite footage is on Lake Eerie in front of the Rock Hall! That would be so cool to experience that in person.  Hopefully one day soon :)

East Bank is newer, and was also where the Flats resurgence began during the late 80s and early 90s.  The West Bank (Shooters et al) came in later, and is now older.

Yes David, E Rocc is right.  You may not have been here a decade or so ago when the East Bank was totally dead.  It was torn down in hopes of the development that Fairmount/Wolstein has not built but, because of legal and financing hassles, it was in doubt.  And people were depressed remembering the good old days of the 1980s and 90s.  The West Bank has pretty much been the same, esp with Shooters being the lone holdout -- along with Odeon, now, reborn on the East Bank.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2759 on: July 10, 2017, 11:58:47 AM »
My favorite footage is on Lake Eerie in front of the Rock Hall! That would be so cool to experience that in person. 

Agree! My only complaint is the Rock Hall and Science Center should be the life of the party on a Friday night - lively and full of people, not sleepy and dormant. 

Hopefully that can change soon.