Author Topic: Cincinnati's Homeless Population  (Read 3183 times)

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
Re: Cincinnati's Homeless Population
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »
I agree Cleveland and Detroit are worse though.

Cleveland may have (marginally) wider downtown streets than Cincinnati, but I disagree that the feel is worse.

For example, Cleveland's "Main Street", Euclid Avenue, is probably as wide as Vine St. in Cincinnati, but the feel is worlds different.  There is a dedicated bus lane in each direction and one through travel lane.  Traffic moves very slowly and the sidewalks are wide, encouraging pedestrian activity.

Even a "highway feeder" like East 9th St., which is wider than Vine St. by one lane feels less like a highway due to having 2 through lanes in each direction plus parking.  The one way streets encourage people to drive faster and make the street feel less pedestrian friendly in my opinion.

Also, Cleveland has nothing like Central Parkway downtown.  The closest thing would be Superior Ave. in terms of width (although it's not nearly as wide), but again, Superior has been cut down to one through lane, a dedicated bus lane, and a median.

Not to get off-topic but Central Parkway doesn't go through downtown, it's an edge of it, much like Ontario Street in Cleveland being just as wide and the edge of downtown.  Cincinnati has nothing as wide as Superior (or even Euclid) going through downtown, though.  Different downtown plans in different eras.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »
I agree Cleveland and Detroit are worse though.

Cleveland may have (marginally) wider downtown streets than Cincinnati, but I disagree that the feel is worse.

For example, Cleveland's "Main Street", Euclid Avenue, is probably as wide as Vine St. in Cincinnati, but the feel is worlds different.  There is a dedicated bus lane in each direction and one through travel lane.  Traffic moves very slowly and the sidewalks are wide, encouraging pedestrian activity.

Even a "highway feeder" like East 9th St., which is wider than Vine St. by one lane feels less like a highway due to having 2 through lanes in each direction plus parking.  The one way streets encourage people to drive faster and make the street feel less pedestrian friendly in my opinion.

Also, Cleveland has nothing like Central Parkway downtown.  The closest thing would be Superior Ave. in terms of width (although it's not nearly as wide), but again, Superior has been cut down to one through lane, a dedicated bus lane, and a median.

Not to get off-topic but Central Parkway doesn't go through downtown, it's an edge of it, much like Ontario Street in Cleveland being just as wide and the edge of downtown.  Cincinnati has nothing as wide as Superior (or even Euclid) going through downtown, though.  Different downtown plans in different eras.

I see what you mean on Central, but my point otherwise was that although Cleveland's streets are wider, they are two-way with less lanes in many instances so they don't feel as "anti-pedestrian" as the width would indicate in many places.

As far as the curb-to-curb width of Vine vs. Euclid...that wasn't my point.  My point was to walk down each and see how it feels.  I know that Cincinnati has narrower downtown streets.  That's why it's frustrating they aren't set up better.  One way streets wider than one lane are bad for everyone but people trying to get to the highway faster.

OK, back to homelessness...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 04:36:28 PM by jam40jeff »

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2018, 04:37:20 PM »
I don't disagree with any of that. :)
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline edale

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2018, 04:43:53 PM »
I actually like one way streets as a pedestrian. When you're crossing, you only have to look one way. Jay-walking is extremely common in Downtown Cincinnati because you don't have to travel far to get to the other side, and you only have to worry about traffic from one direction. I know the argument is normally that two way traffic is better for pedestrians, but in a downtown environment, I'm not so sure. The one ways in places like Walnut Hills are awful because cars really do speed through and treat it like a freeway. Downtown has small block sizes (which is more important to the pedestrian experience than street width, imo) and each intersection has a traffic light, so cars are constantly stopping. It's very rare to be able to go more than a couple blocks downtown without hitting a red. I believe the streetcar has exposed this point well...

Perhaps this discussion could be moved to a different thread? I think it's very interesting, but yeah, doesn't have much to do with homelessness.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2018, 05:07:04 PM »
Cincinnati's downtown was platted with a 33 foot measuring chain which is why the distance between property lines is 66 feet.  This is the case for all streets in DT and OTR with the exception of various postwar widenings (5th each of Government Square) and Liberty St.  Central Parkway and Eggleston took over the former state-owned canal lands and so do not match.

As I already wrote, Cincinnati's downtown streets originally had 40 feet between the curbs, but that was generally widened to 44 (four 11-foot lanes) feet in the early 1900s.   

Offline troeros

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2018, 11:31:59 AM »
Great news guys. The city of Cincinnati have posted signs to the homeless camp to vacate the area in 72 hours or be arrested and put in jail.

Crews will later and come sanitize the area from all of the homeless residue and trash they left behind.

Finally the city doing something right for once.

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2018, 11:37:46 AM »
Good.  Now they need to clear out all the ones living on 3rd street. 

Offline troeros

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »
Thatís the plan!

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2018, 11:40:27 AM »
Really this just shows further reason why we need to cap FWW.  If there were actually buildings with some type of business on those blocks then homeless wouldn't be able to just camp on on the sidewalks. 

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »
I've always wondered why all of those benches were built down on Second and Third to begin with.  Who else was going to use them?

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #70 on: Yesterday at 10:53:10 AM »
Great now some of the idiots on city counsel are trying to delay cleaning out of the camp. 

Offline bfwissel

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #71 on: Yesterday at 11:02:54 AM »
Great now some of the idiots on city counsel are trying to delay cleaning out of the camp. 

Tamaya Dennard on City Council, who was the one who propagated racism claims against a local business (which were proven to be lies based on police body camera footage), is the one leading the charge.  Instead of trying to come up with a compassionate and permanent solution to the problem she's pushing to allow the tent city to remain there.  *sigh*
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 11:11:25 AM »
She's an idiot.  In no way should that tent city be allowed to stay there or anywhere in the city.  Allowing the homeless to setup up their own camps only furthers their problems and makes it worse for everyone.  Get them into homeless shelters where there are plenty of open beds and people/programs willing to help.  If they don't want to go to the shelters then find somewhere to live outside our city. 

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #73 on: Yesterday at 09:09:37 PM »
City Council threw a wrench into the plan to clean up the tent city:

City delays evicting downtown homeless camp

https://local12.com/news/local/city-delays-evicting-downtown-homeless-camp

The debate over forced evictions at a downtown homeless camp took over City Hall Thursday.

City leaders reached a compromise Thursday afternoon, which will delay those evictions at the camp under the bridge at Third and Plum streets.

On Monday, acting city manager Patrick Duhaney ordered the site be evicted and sanitized after concerns over a hepatitis outbreak. The people living in the camp were given 72 hours to gather their belongings and move. Anything left after 6 a.m. Friday would be thrown away. On Thursday, city leaders decided to extend that deadline until Wednesday, July 25.

About 50 people live in this camp. Sanitation conditions aren't good, with food and garbage littering the space and concerns over the hepatitis outbreak and drug abuse.

One of my biggest questions is why this camp moved from the more remote regions underneath the Brent Spence Bridge, where homeless have camped for the last few years, to prominent locations on 3rd Street. This happened very quickly. It seems like some sort of political stunt.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #74 on: Yesterday at 10:11:19 PM »

Tamaya Dennard on City Council, who was the one who propagated racism claims against a local business (which were proven to be lies based on police body camera footage), is the one leading the charge.  Instead of trying to come up with a compassionate and permanent solution to the problem she's pushing to allow the tent city to remain there.  *sigh*

Fortunately there are 5 votes against her. Mann is a pragmatic for the most part but feels everyone needs an opportunity for their voice to be heard. He will give them a few extra days but then eventually side with the others and move them along. Dennard and Seelbach are in the minority on this.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #75 on: Today at 09:04:28 AM »
It seems like the "the idiots on city counsel" came up with a reasonable solution. Slightly delayed eviction (less than a week), a mobile health unit to check on the people there, and social services coming to try to get some of them to go to shelters. Not sure what better course of action could be taken to mitigate this issue in the short term.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #76 on: Today at 09:51:22 AM »
^ well if you are Tamaya Dennard you need a system of comprehensive rent control throughout the city and forcing permanent housing upon these people.