PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: Lakefront Development and News  (Read 6877 times)

Offline cle2032

• Key Tower 947'
Re: Cleveland: Lakefront Development News
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2007, 06:38:33 PM »
Hey now, do I take offense to that?   :|

I realize that a 16 week studio project is quite the Disney version of a real life project but I think it's unfair to discount the opinion of a recent grad/arch. student because we don't have the jaded outlook on politics.

I think we need to stop this bs in the past few posts!  I'm sorry but as far as design goes in Cleveland, we all have A LOT to learn.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2007, 07:36:29 PM »
You are absolutely correct.
I apologize for over generalizing. Not all architecture students are arrogant. And not all planning students are over-the-top-optimistic. My statements were based on anecdotal incidents from the past four years, as opposed to a lifetime's career.

Yes, you are so very right. Everyone always needs A LOT to learn
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 06:37:48 PM by musky »

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • FB
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2007, 06:36:22 PM »
(updated article from last week)

pd:

Cleveland makes excellent choice for North Coast bridge
Sunday, September 02, 2007
by Steven Litt

Hooray for the city of Cleveland. The city's top choice for a design team to create a new $6.1 million pedestrian bridge at North Coast Harbor clearly was the best of the six that sought the job -- and the one most likely to produce an outstanding result.

The winning team will be led by the local office of Wilbur Smith Associates, a national firm. But the star on the squad is Miguel Rosales, a 46-year-old native of Guatemala who has devoted his career to improving the design of bridges in the United States...

more at: http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/steven_litt/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/1188636818161750.xml&coll=2&thispage=1
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:06:02 AM by McCleveland »

Offline cle2032

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2007, 08:51:37 AM »
Anyways... :-)

I spent the day yesterday with the family (Long Islander and Las Vegan??? on the Goodtime III and at the North Coast Harbor and the place was buzzing with activity!  Nice to see!  I'll post pics from the fun weekend in CLE shortly.

Offline FerrariEnzo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2007, 12:17:42 AM »
I am excited to see this selection, will it have to raise as a result of it enclosing the launch site for the good time III or will tht move?

Offline ragarcia

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2007, 10:03:46 PM »
I guess I'll be ignorant one here, but at least from the pictures on their website, I don't see what the big deal is about this bridge...is it because we are so starved for "cool" things here in the states that we give this bridge more credit than it deserves?

Like I said, maybe I'm just ignorant or maybe I just can't see its magnificence from the limited pictures on the site, but to me the covered bridges in Ashtabula are cooler or at least more significant than what I see in the pictures.

Since I know you guys know more about this than me, please edumacate me about what makes this bridge great.

Thanks!

Offline audidave

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2007, 10:28:21 PM »
My take is that this will make it more likely for big events like the Gravity Games or X-Games to come to the Northcoast Harbor.  A bridge helps enhance the area by allowing people to move around much easier.  It gets very tight walking alongside the museums during big events that are using the whole area.  This is also one of the first items to come to fruition in the Lakefront redevelopment plan which a lot of people had input into.  Plus in a city and state of unique bridges, this should add yet another one.

Offline Matches

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2007, 01:10:46 AM »
Shouldn't it be noted that neither bridge shown are necessarily anything like what will get built.  These were images of existing bridges designed by the selected firm, no?  The span of this bridge appears likely just 150 feet or so, less than half of the Liberty Bridge.

Offline FerrariEnzo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2007, 10:50:33 AM »
Correct, I think audidave was just noting that the firm selected didnt knock his socks off with regards to past projects.  I still am excited that at least a firm that has a little artistic creativity was given the job.  Thats all.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • FB
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2007, 10:51:21 AM »

Science center to build walkway to Steamship Mather
Sunday, September 09, 2007
Tom Breckenridge

The Great Lakes Science Center will build a $3.3 million link to its floating museum nearby.

The Cleveland City Planning Commission on Friday approved the design for the 400-foot sheltered walkway between the science center and the Steamship William G. Mather Museum, docked in North Coast Harbor.

The Planning Commission panned the design in July, largely because of a permanent opening in the walkway that, at 5 feet wide, was too small for bikers and walkers who stream through the area.

The center's new design includes a permanent 11-foot-wide opening. Three larger sections of the walkway would open, weather permitting, with the use of sliding and overhead doors...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:09:23 AM by McCleveland »

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2007, 11:22:52 AM »
good choice for the ped bridge. its no calatrava, but it looks like they do nice work.

Offline j73

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2007, 07:59:26 PM »
BTW, the guy who talks on WCPN every Friday about business and development in Cleveland (Scott Rolston from Fairport Asset Mgmt, IIRC) mentioned last Friday that he thinks we'll see a study about the future of Burke from the Jackson admin in the next few weeks.  Not sure how well-connected the guy is and what the study is, but interesting, if true.  Here's the link - the comment is in the last 1/3 of it. 
http://www.wcpn.org/index.php/WCPN/Player/7335/

Offline Avogadro

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2007, 07:04:01 AM »
That's right.  The City has been fast-tracking the BKL Master Plan.  Work was announced last month, and the consultants wanted to have the first phase completed by October 1.

http://www.airportsites.net/MasterPlans/BKL-MP-Update/index.htm

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2007, 09:16:58 AM »
I'm not sure how to interpret this. The Master Plan function is to:

To provide a framework for long-range planning (2030)
To graphically present preferred airport development concepts
To define the purpose and need for development projects
To comply with all applicable FAA requirements
To enable the airport to achieve its mission
To assure compatible land use development
To support the financial health of one of a City’s most powerful economic engines
To identify facility requirements for all airport users

Depending on what "airport development concepts" really means, the document sounds like a blueprint for Burke's expansion more than anything else.  Anyhow, it doesn't sound too positive for those who want to open up that prime real estate for more appropriate, waterfront residential/retail/recreational usage.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2007, 09:31:26 AM »
BTW, the guy who talks on WCPN every Friday about business and development in Cleveland (Scott Rolston from Fairport Asset Mgmt, IIRC) mentioned last Friday that he thinks we'll see a study about the future of Burke from the Jackson admin in the next few weeks.  Not sure how well-connected the guy is and what the study is, but interesting, if true.  Here's the link - the comment is in the last 1/3 of it. 
http://www.wcpn.org/index.php/WCPN/Player/7335/

I heard that as well.  I didn't know how to take it. Did the guy know something or was he just thinking out loud? If he's just speculating without some insider knowledge, then its rather inappropriate to do so this way.

Offline novusordo0205

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2007, 10:21:53 AM »
It may have been crass, but I enjoyed how Mayor Daley solved Chicago's lakefront airport problem literally overnight by carving impenetrable Xs on the runways so that Meigs Field could no longer be used.  Mayor Jackson certainly will not pull a similar move, so it looks like we'll be stuck with an airport.

Offline math

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2007, 10:26:44 AM »
it could be that, in light of the roadblocks to tearing bkl out, the development angle is the only other option.  they were, if I remember correctly, talking about putting something commercial into that area.  restaurants etc.  if the roadblock is that serious, then why not consider making the terminal an accessible, useable part of the area? 

Offline Matches

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2007, 11:30:07 AM »
That bullet list is not specific to Burke.  The site says:

"The general goals and objectives addressed by an airport master plan include the following:" (emphasis added)

And then they have the list.  We'll have to wait and see what comes out of it.

Offline Matches

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2007, 10:54:07 AM »
Moving this to better location.  From the Cleveland.com "blog", entry titled "Burke to remain open; development talks under way"
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=9545.msg220813#msg220813
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:58:17 AM by Matches »

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2007, 11:02:27 AM »
I guess I am fine with this Burke news being that there is still so much developable land in the core of the city.  I would hate to see Burke completely loaded with residential/commercial in basically an island area therefore putting a squeeze on future development downtown.  I would be fine with a park there or something of the type.  However, having a corporate/regional airport downtown is a plus for the region. 

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2007, 02:34:24 PM »
Even though it's a visual wasteland, I agree.  But it would be advantageous to get some sort of public access to the Lake on its northern edges. 

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2007, 02:51:59 PM »
Creating a residential/commercial mecca at Burke is basically like building Crocker park.  You couldn't walk to it obviously (I-90 kind of in the way).  Therefore, before we start thinking about redeveloping Burke, lets reconfigure the shoreway to open it up to pedestrian activity. 

Offline jonmoxon

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2007, 06:44:04 PM »
Burke should become a state-of-the-art full intermodal transportation hub incorporating the airport, the port of Cleveland's relocation (with rail access and container handling capability), along with the proposed ferry terminal for vessels to Canada. There would be nothing like it anywhere and the port's relocation clears the lakefont west of CBS for Pesht.
    This also isn't taking into account the potential lakefront passenger rail station for the Ohio Hub plan.
    Any and all commercial development that is being talked about for Burke should be steered downtown. I've heard there's lots available? :roll:
  It is this kind of short-sightedness in planning by Cleveland politicos that makes me scratch my head. These people just can't seem to grasp the whole "density" thing.
It can't be this simple, can it? Or am I just out there?! :?

Offline Florida Guy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2007, 06:59:51 PM »
^ $$$

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2007, 08:20:56 PM »
Burke should become a state-of-the-art full intermodal transportation hub incorporating the airport, the port of Cleveland's relocation (with rail access and container handling capability), along with the proposed ferry terminal for vessels to Canada. There would be nothing like it anywhere and the port's relocation clears the lakefont west of CBS for Pesht.
    This also isn't taking into account the potential lakefront passenger rail station for the Ohio Hub plan.
    Any and all commercial development that is being talked about for Burke should be steered downtown. I've heard there's lots available? :roll:
  It is this kind of short-sightedness in planning by Cleveland politicos that makes me scratch my head. These people just can't seem to grasp the whole "density" thing.
It can't be this simple, can it? Or am I just out there?! :?

I like your idea, but why attack those who are actually out there doing this thing with a non-sequiter like that?  Just because some people think Burke would be a prime development opportunity doesn't make them short sighted or mean that they don't "grasp the whole 'density' thing".  Where are you getting that?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2007, 09:52:57 PM »
Actually, it was my idea (http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=9545.msg188153#msg188153). But I think we need to find out whether the mayor's plan will block the creation of a super-intermodal hub.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:55:55 PM by KJP »
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • FB
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2007, 10:21:41 PM »
Actually it was my idea and I have the site plans, renderings and CAD files to prove it - plus the grade I received for it too (plus two other students). It includes the ferry, Amtrack relocation, greyhound relocation, incorporating Ohio Hub and Cleveland/Lorain Rail, residential, commercial and retail development and a few other things. I even proposed it to the city.

I've been meaning to post it since last spring but forgot. Maybe now is the time. I try to get to it tomorrow and post it on the Burke thread.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2007, 10:30:25 PM »
Actually it was my idea originally.  I have plans sketched out on a cocktail napkin, which I have since wadded up in a little ball for safekeeping.  If I find it, it shall be unfurled and posted and the issue settled once and for all!  My silly putty and toothpick model is, alas, no more.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2007, 12:45:37 PM »
How could it be your idea when you can't even spell Amtrak correctly!?!?  :-o

Actually, I think I came up with the idea when I was playing with my mashed potatoes in 1977. I called it Close Encounters of the Erie Kind.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:46:06 PM by KJP »
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2007, 12:48:41 PM »
Off-topic, but to this day whenever I go home for the holidays and mashed potatoes are being served - my dad sculpts a "Devil's Tower" out of them.