PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: Lakefront Development and News  (Read 6878 times)

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Lakefront Development and News
« Reply #2400 on: January 28, 2017, 05:13:20 PM »
The building design is from Toronto but the setting was explicitly here, at least for a while.  They came up with Metropolis later.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2401 on: February 07, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »
This group seems to be very narrowly focused on greenspace.

CLE Chatter: New lakefront group surfaces with big ambition

By Mark Naymik, cleveland.com
on February 07, 2017

Making waves: The Green Ribbon Coalition has quietly surfaced as a new advocacy organization promoting a more accessible and connected lakefront along Lake Erie that goes beyond Cleveland's borders. The organization is the product of a merger between three groups focused on the lakefront: The Cleveland Waterfront Coalition, Cleveland Lakefront Parks Conservancy and The Cleveland Lakefront Development Corp. The new group, which was formalized last year, takes it name from the nascent Lakefront Ribbon of Green Coalition, which was formed by big-idea guy Dick Clough, an advertising and marketing professional and waterfront activist.

http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2017/02/cle_chatter_new_lakefront_grou.html#incart_river_home_pop

Offline Matches

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #2402 on: March 29, 2017, 05:16:05 PM »
FirstEnergy lakefront site could host parks, housing, gardens and more, planner says

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer
on March 29, 2017 at 2:06 PM, updated March 29, 2017 at 3:12 PM

The contaminated site of the largely demolished FirstEnergy lakefront power plant at East 72nd Street could become a park, or it could host housing, commercial and institutional development, a creative zone for small-scale innovators, or a food production center.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2017/03/planner_says_firstenergy_lakef.html

The Green Ribbon Coalition idea to move the highway 1/4 mile south is absolutely the way to go.  Reconnect Gordon Park to the lake.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2403 on: March 29, 2017, 05:28:32 PM »
^ And just like that, Litt resurfaces!

Food production center? What on earth?

Offline YABO713

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #2404 on: March 29, 2017, 07:22:02 PM »

Yeah, it would be called the Chernobyl Urban Garden, the veggies would be bigger than humans!

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2405 on: March 29, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »
What's the story with the mixed use building along the E. 9th Street pier?  Have they started building?

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2406 on: March 29, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »

Yeah, it would be called the Chernobyl Urban Garden, the veggies would be bigger than humans!

As I understand it, certain crops help clean out the soil.  Asparagus maybe?  Might not want to eat the first batch.

I like the idea of moving the freeway here, cost-benefit seems problematic though.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2407 on: March 30, 2017, 12:18:27 AM »

As I understand it, certain crops help clean out the soil.  Asparagus maybe?  Might not want to eat the first batch.

I like the idea of moving the freeway here, cost-benefit seems problematic though.

Everyone loves moving the freeway, except ODOT maybe.

Regarding your asparagus, this lakefront reuse article comes to mind:

NEWS Brownfield-based vineyard ready to expand
http://www.chroniclet.com/news/2007/08/04/Brownfield-based-vineyard-ready-to-expand.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:28:28 AM by surfohio »

Online E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2408 on: March 30, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »

Frankly, I wouldnít see the benefit if it cost 25% of what it eventually would.  Look at it on a map, thatís the spot where the waves hit so hard even during moderate storms that they get all over the freeway.  To benefit from this new shoreline, youíd need a new breakwall.   For starters.  Plus, unless youíre going to run this new freeway straight through Gordon Park, you donít really make the highway any smoother.

I drive by this four or five times a week.  Best use would be an apartment/office complex with a parking deck on the lower floors and a sound wall in front of that.  Once you get up to the third or fourth floor it is basically lake view property just the same as if you built right on it.   Tunnel under the Shoreway in that area and itís still connected.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2409 on: March 30, 2017, 09:27:27 AM »

Frankly, I wouldnít see the benefit if it cost 25% of what it eventually would.  Look at it on a map, thatís the spot where the waves hit so hard even during moderate storms that they get all over the freeway.  To benefit from this new shoreline, youíd need a new breakwall.   For starters.  Plus, unless youíre going to run this new freeway straight through Gordon Park, you donít really make the highway any smoother.

I drive by this four or five times a week.  Best use would be an apartment/office complex with a parking deck on the lower floors and a sound wall in front of that.  Once you get up to the third or fourth floor it is basically lake view property just the same as if you built right on it.   Tunnel under the Shoreway in that area and itís still connected.

An apartment/office complex the way you describe doesn't address one of our most glaring needs --  to be in better actual, physical connection with the waterfront.

Tunnels and bridges technically do funnel people, but seem a much inferior option to the admittedly optimistic "B" proposals in the article.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2410 on: March 30, 2017, 09:29:01 AM »

An apartment/office complex the way you describe doesn't address one of our most glaring needs --  to be in better actual, physical connection with the waterfront.

Tunnels and bridges technically do funnel people, but seem a much inferior option to the admittedly optimistic "B" proposals in the article.

Maybe this could be the first phase of capping the Shoreway? 

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2411 on: March 30, 2017, 09:42:09 AM »
There were several factors in the odd routing of the highway. The old Lakeshore Blvd. hugged the shores of the Lake before there was infill (mostly debris). It curved around the power plant that once dominated the shoreline and did a sweeping curve through Gordon Park, hugging the railroad. By 1952, a good portion of the Lakeshore Freeway/OH 2 had been completed from East 136th Street (the current Exit 180A ramps) to Rockefeller Park.

Lakeshore Blvd's odd termination and sharp curve at Rockfeller Park where it connected to the Lakeshore Freeway in 1952 was temporary. Lakeshore Blvd. once terminated at East 88th Street which was an important north-south connector as it passed under the railroad.

See: Historic aerial

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #2412 on: March 30, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »
This is the best option......

Which is similar to this......

shoreway relocation1-kjp by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:55:37 AM by KJP »
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2413 on: March 30, 2017, 11:41:52 AM »
Not a bad proposal. But I wonder about having residences on a former power plant site that is deeply contaminated, especially a plant that burned the bottom of the pile of refuse in its last few years of operation. I'm sure much of the soil will be excavated and replaced with a cap, but still.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2414 on: March 30, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »
Which is why the freeway needs to be relocated through the former powerplant site -- and to get it away from the lake shore. If one of the serious proposal is to relocate the freeway slightly south of the shore, why not spend a bit more and put it through the powerplant site?

Offline Matches

« Reply #2415 on: April 03, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
I'm not sure the topography of the area would allow the ball diamonds to simply be shifted over, but I wanted to post these aerial views of the area to give a little perspective.

The current site is below. This illustrates how isolated and disjointed any attempt at parkland would be from the lakefront, and any attempt at development whatsever, would be from pretty much anything else:

Taking the map posted in the Cleveland.com article as a guide, I've roughly sketched the relocation of the highway and the extension of Marginal as they have proposed.  It looks like KJP's plan is more aggressive than this, and aims to create more park and development land north of the Shoreway.

On the other side of E. 72nd, here is the current state, with Gordon park basically completely severed from the lakefront by the Shoreway and exit ramps and loops.

This crude sketch shows how shifting the Shoreway towards the railroad tracks creates a more contiguous greenspace, what looks like a restored Doan Brook outlet to the lake.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2416 on: April 03, 2017, 05:26:52 PM »
^ Is there even a single car on that highway?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #2417 on: April 03, 2017, 05:51:50 PM »
If we're going to go to the massive effort to move the highway, we should go the extra mile and start the southward move at East 55th.  That would require moving Horizon Academy and WJW, but both of those are pretty old looking buildings, so it shouldn't be crazy expensive to do that compared to the overall project. 

The cost/benefit ratio probably goes down west of E. 55th, as there are more manufacturing facilities in the way of a relocation of the Shoreway, and the lakefront is filled with private uses, not to mention Burke.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2418 on: April 03, 2017, 07:15:13 PM »
^ Is there even a single car on that highway?

Is there a single car anywhere that's not parked? Makes me wonder if cars in motion aren't recognized by the satellite.

X, that was my thought. If we're going to move the highway, move it to maximize the value of the move. Don't do it half-a$$ed.

Offline Matches

« Reply #2419 on: April 04, 2017, 10:07:48 AM »
I perused other aerial views in Google Maps and it does seem that either the moving cars are not picked up, or for purposes of showing the streets themselves and not the cars on them, Google digitally removes cars from roads and highways wherever they can.

Offline Enginerd

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #2420 on: April 04, 2017, 11:43:25 AM »
I could actually see this ticking quite a few of ODOT's boxes:
- big, earth moving mega-project that ODOT loves to promote
- Minimal impacts by maintaining traffic on the existing stretch of 90
- able to "upgrade" 90 with improved shoulders for their new intelligent traffic push

Would need heavy local buy in though, because they definitely won't propose something like this.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 11:44:26 AM by Enginerd »

Offline Pugu

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2421 on: April 04, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »
Using Google Earth, you CAN see cars on the roads.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #2422 on: April 09, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
A couple shots of the new pavilion going up at Edgewater. Perfect day to be out at the beach (in April!). Coming along quite nicely...

Offline mack34

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #2423 on: April 09, 2017, 06:12:36 PM »
I was in that exact spot today as well!  That beach house is going to be fantastic.  Still amazes me what the Metroparks have done to improve that park.  Its mindblowing

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2424 on: April 19, 2017, 12:15:50 PM »
Who wants to live in a development walled off from the lakefront by an interstate highway? Either build a green cap over the highway or move the damn highway away from the lake shore and through the former First Energy site, next to the rail line. The site is so polluted that nothing is proposed for it. Why have two pieces of land that retard redevelopment here -- a lakeside Interstate and the property that's surrounded by the First Energy site? Eliminate one with the other....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/04212017/index.php
SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS
Former First Energy Power Plant Site: Strategic Plan
Presenters: Doug McCoach, CallisonRTKL
Sharonda Whatley, Staff Planner

MANY MANY (ie 50 or so!) IMAGES POSTED AT THE LINK ABOVE. HERE'S JUST A FEW.....

Offline MidwestChamp

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #2425 on: April 19, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »
I swear if this town cannot muster the energy to move the freeway south and open up the lakefront.  The closing of that plant is a once in 100 year opportunity to transform that area.  The curve ONLY exists because there was a powerplant there!!  Taking out the curve and moving the freeway makes 90 safer, while unifying Gordon park again into something that can become a regional asset.  We screw this up and it will remain like that for decades upon  decades.  Move the freeway and clean the land...PLEASE.  I can't believe options that don't do this are even considered.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #2426 on: April 19, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »
You would think ODOT would be all over the opportunity to lay more concrete.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2427 on: April 19, 2017, 01:05:24 PM »
Move the freeway TO and clean the land...PLEASE.  I can't believe options that don't do this are even considered.

Fixed that for ya.

Online roman totale XVII

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #2428 on: April 19, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »
I can't see past the Comic Sans...

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2429 on: May 01, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
See what's popping up on Cleveland's waterfront
Updated May 01, 2017
Posted May 01, 2017
Peter Krouse, cleveland.com and Marvin Fong, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Northeast Ohio has something any city would love to have, a vast expanse of freshwater at its doorstep. People and buildings come and go, but Lake Erie is here forever.
After decades of turning its back on the lake, Ohioans are now embracing it as a place to live, work and play. They are learning how to protect it and how to use it to boost the economy without filling it up with garbage and debris.

The importance of the lakefront has not been lost on public officials who have undertaken numerous projects to improve its economic and recreational viability, whether developing the North Coast Harbor area around the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to improving access to the lakefront at the Cuyahoga River.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/05/see_whats_popping_up_on_clevel.html