PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Midtown: Development and News  (Read 11564 times)

Offline Oldmanladyluck

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Re: Cleveland: Midtown: Development and News
« Reply #1560 on: October 11, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »
^I think the Dave's Supermarket will be a good addition regarding streetfront retail.  Sure, the building isn't a mom and pops storefront, but it will add traffic to Euclid. 

How far away are the new residences supposed to be from this, along with the hotel?  Those developments could help with foot traffic as well.

BTW, Link 59's website shows a masterplan with buildings fronting both Chester (sorely needed- a true blank slate on the south side of the street from about E. 79th through E. 55th) and Euclid. 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:17:24 PM by Oldmanladyluck »

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1561 on: October 11, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »
^ absolutely yeah -- hide that parking -- very nice to see.

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1562 on: October 11, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
There actually will be street level retail and there is extra height on the UH building and Link59 at the corner of Euclid and the namesake East 59th street.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1563 on: October 30, 2017, 05:13:43 PM »
MCPc plans move to Link59 project in Cleveland's Midtown, growth of cybersecurity operations
http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/10/mcpc_plans_move_to_link59_proj.html
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1564 on: November 14, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
Cross-posted with the "Glass Block" thread.

Cuyahoga County plans to sell Euclid Avenue property in Cleveland's Midtown for future development

By Karen Farkas, cleveland.com kfarkas@Cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio - The former transportation center for the Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities in Cleveland's Midtown is expected to be sold for $2.5 million for a future development.

Legislation will be introduced at Cuyahoga County Council's meeting Tuesday to sell the 3.44 acres at 7001 Euclid Avenue to Colab Partners LLC.

The company was registered with the state on Oct. 31 by Cleveland-area investor Joel Scheer.

Scheer said on Monday that he couldn't discuss his plans for the site at this time.

http://www.cleveland.com/cuyahoga-county/index.ssf/2017/11/cuyahoga_county_plans_to_sell_euclid_avenue_property_in_clevelands_midtown_for_future_development.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1565 on: November 14, 2017, 09:32:11 AM »
Yay! Any building that has multiple garage bay doors, especially for commercial vehicles, facing Euclid Avenue needs to be demolished and replaced with something more pedestrian friendly.

But I wish Scheer was wholly focused on building that 20-story apartment tower next to Riverbend Condos in the Flats. Focus, man! :)
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1566 on: November 14, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »
Euclid Corridor Design Review District
Agenda
November 16, 2017 8:00 a.m.
The Agora Building, 5000 Euclid Ave

8:40 EC 2017-033 3800 Euclid Avenue Renovation N
3800 Euclid Ave.
Midtown District
Ryan Grass, City Architecture

A shadowy streetview image of 3800 Euclid:
3800 Euclid Ave by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1567 on: November 14, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »
Agenda

Anything major?  That's still a major venue and has tons of affiliated history.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1568 on: November 14, 2017, 10:09:14 PM »
^ absolutely yeah -- hide that parking -- very nice to see.

No, it's not if you want the area active at night. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1569 on: November 14, 2017, 10:57:54 PM »
Agenda

Agora is the site of the Design Review meeting.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1570 on: November 15, 2017, 12:15:54 AM »
Agenda

Agora is the site of the Design Review meeting.

Ah okay, that makes sense.  Any changes there would be of massive significance.

Offline viscomi

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1571 on: November 15, 2017, 05:05:33 AM »
That building is across from the new Children's Museum, right. I believe this is the building someone was telling me about plans to add few more floors to it. I forgot the purpose, maybe residential.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #1572 on: November 15, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »
Cross-posted with the "Glass Block" thread.

Cuyahoga County plans to sell Euclid Avenue property in Cleveland's Midtown for future development

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The former transportation center for the Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities in Cleveland's Midtown is expected to be sold for $2.5 million for a future development.

Legislation will be introduced at Cuyahoga County Council's meeting Tuesday to sell the 3.44 acres at 7001 Euclid Avenue to Colab Partners LLC.

The company was registered with the state on Oct. 31 by Cleveland-area investor Joel Scheer.

Scheer said on Monday that he couldn't discuss his plans for the site at this time.

http://www.cleveland.com/cuyahoga-county/index.ssf/2017/11/cuyahoga_county_plans_to_sell_euclid_avenue_property_in_clevelands_midtown_for_future_development.html#incart_m-rpt-1

That's a big chunk of land, and right across E. 70th from the proposed hotel.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1573 on: November 17, 2017, 05:04:34 AM »
Bidding war erupts over Cuyahoga County building in Cleveland's Midtown

Updated Nov 16, 4:22 PM;
Posted Nov 16, 4:21 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio - A bidding war has erupted over the Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities' former transportation center in Cleveland's Midtown area.

Legislation was introduced Tuesday at Cuyahoga County Council's meeting to sell the 3.44 acres at 7001 Euclid Avenue to CoLab Partners LLC for $2.5 million.

http://www.cleveland.com/cuyahoga-county/index.ssf/2017/11/bidding_war_erupts_over_cuyahoga_county_building_in_clevelands_midtown.html#incart_river_mobileshort_home

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1574 on: November 17, 2017, 07:17:40 AM »
And they say Cleveland's economy is stagnant. Certainly not the eds-n-meds sector.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1575 on: November 17, 2017, 07:49:14 AM »
^Unfortunately, per the article, the higher bid (as of then) is from the guy who wants to use the site to store shuttle buses.

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1576 on: November 17, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »
^Yeah, Tony George, a Cleveland visionary :(

I am not familiar with the legal requirements here in connection with the sale.  I wonder if it statutory that the County has to accept the highest bid or whether officials have some sort of discretion (something like they can consider the "best use").  If they do have such discretion the other bidder is shooting himself in the foot with his vague (and previously unreported) plans for the site.  A master plan or conceptual rendering would at least help a little in this battle.

Offline freefourur

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #1577 on: November 17, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »
It almost appears that Tony George submitted his bid after the accepted bid.  That's how I'm reading, perhaps I'm mistaken.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1578 on: November 17, 2017, 09:02:15 AM »
It almost appears that Tony George submitted his bid after the accepted bid.  That's how I'm reading, perhaps I'm mistaken.

Now we'll find out if Cuyahoga County government is corruption free and will follow voter-established bidding procedures.

Offline Dougal

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #1579 on: November 17, 2017, 01:47:14 PM »
^ Seems like a win-win might be to find George an equivalent site for his vets' van service, maybe something on the OC.  The $62.5K is pretty small potatoes. There is little question that Colab's proposal would generate more jobs-related tax income for the city. 
There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1580 on: December 07, 2017, 07:56:38 PM »
Too bad county tax generation wasn't taken into account:

Cuyahoga County's sale of transportation center upsets Midtown businesses

By Karen Farkas, cleveland.com,
 kfarkas@Cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Cuyahoga County mishandled the sale of a former transportation center in Cleveland's Midtown area, according to business owners and developers who have invested tens of millions of dollars in the neighborhood.

In a letter to County Council's Public Works Committee, the critics objected to awarding the building to the top bidder, who planned to use the building as a transit garage, rather than a bidder who wanted to redevelop the property for a bioscience and biotechnology laboratory.

But the committee voted Wednesday to approve a bid of $2.75 million from Tony George and send the proposed deal to the full council for a vote on Dec. 12. The committee's move came three weeks after it was presented with legislation to approve a $2.5 million offer from CoLab Partners LLC.

http://www.cleveland.com/cuyahoga-county/index.ssf/2017/12/cuyahoga_countys_sale_of_transportation_center_draws_ire_of_midtown_businesses.html

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1581 on: December 07, 2017, 08:58:55 PM »
Great

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1582 on: December 07, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »
Tony George. Ranks right up there with James Kassouf on my list of favorite Clevelanders.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1583 on: December 08, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »
I would imagine the real reason for the purchase is to sit on the property for a few years and then sell when he can get a lot more money for it.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1584 on: December 08, 2017, 08:34:50 AM »
In other words, the Kassouf way. Issue a horrible conceptual rendering or two. Let the property fall into disrepair. Get into fights with the city. Demand a vast sum for its sale. And ultimately get it because it's the last undeveloped property remaining in the vicinity.

Offline YABO713

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1585 on: December 08, 2017, 08:41:27 AM »
Can anyone validate rumors for me that Google will be expanding into prosthetic organs and pacemakers? If true, Cleveland may be THE place for this operation to land.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1586 on: December 08, 2017, 12:12:31 PM »
^ i only found this old news, but who knows what all google x is up to?

https://www.theverge.com/2014/1/10/5297216/google-x-team-meets-with-fda-over-unnamed-medical-device-bloomberg

edit: it seems that verily has spun off from google x since then:

https://verily.com/

more:
http://fortune.com/2016/04/22/jessica-mega-google-medical-verily/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:17:24 PM by mrnyc »

Offline Down_with_Ctown

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1587 on: December 09, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »
Midtown's makeover will get lift from townhomes

September 17, 2017 4:00 am      UPDATED 11 HOURS AGO
By JAY MILLER

The sprucing up of Cleveland's Midtown neighborhood, once a ragged industrial district, is continuing. Soon, residents will be occupying $400,000 homes, and office workers will be toiling in the home of a former restaurant supply business. 

Ground recently was broken by Boston's Vazza Real Estate Group for One Midtown, a complex of 23 townhomes at East 71st Street and Euclid Avenue, replacing a two-story brick building that last held a long-closed furniture liquidator. Vazza is building three-story, three-bedroom units with rooftop decks of between 1,800 and 2,200 square feet.

One Midtown is Vazza's first venture into Cleveland. Derek Holt, managing director of Vazza, said he has relatives and friends here and his firm has, for some time, been watching Cleveland "out of the corner of our eye."

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170917/news/135741/midtowns-makeover-will-get-lift-townhomes

I happened to be driving down Euclid Avenue this week and one townhouse cluster is already structurally completed.  It looks like ground is ready to be broken next door as well.  (Point of reference--the project is on the northern side of Euclid Ave. between East 71st and 73rd Streets).

I'm impressed with the speed of construction on this project.  Hopefully there is demand for $400K townhomes in Midtown to back it up.  Previous projects on this stretch of Euclid Ave. included subsidized apartments for the homeless and senior citizens at the beginning of the decade.  If these new townhomes sell fast, it may set a nice precedent for all kinds of projects coexisting in the same neighborhood.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:20:34 AM by Down_with_Ctown »

Offline YABO713

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1588 on: December 09, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »
Midtown's makeover will get lift from townhomes

September 17, 2017 4:00 am      UPDATED 11 HOURS AGO
By JAY MILLER

The sprucing up of Cleveland's Midtown neighborhood, once a ragged industrial district, is continuing. Soon, residents will be occupying $400,000 homes, and office workers will be toiling in the home of a former restaurant supply business. 

Ground recently was broken by Boston's Vazza Real Estate Group for One Midtown, a complex of 23 townhomes at East 71st Street and Euclid Avenue, replacing a two-story brick building that last held a long-closed furniture liquidator. Vazza is building three-story, three-bedroom units with rooftop decks of between 1,800 and 2,200 square feet.

One Midtown is Vazza's first venture into Cleveland. Derek Holt, managing director of Vazza, said he has relatives and friends here and his firm has, for some time, been watching Cleveland "out of the corner of our eye."

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170917/news/135741/midtowns-makeover-will-get-lift-townhomes

I happened to be driving down Euclid Avenue this week and one townhouse cluster is already structurally completed.  It looks like ground is ready to be broken next door as well.  (Point of reference--the project is on the northern side of Euclid Ave. between East 71st and 73rd Streets).

I'm impressed with the speed of construction on this project.  Hopefully there is demand for $400K townhomes in Midtown to back it up.  Previous projects on this stretch of Euclid Ave. included subsidized apartments for the homeless and senior citizens at the beginning of the decade.  If these new townhomes sell fast, it may set a nice precedent for all kinds of projects coexisting in the same neighborhood.

Hopefully there is a demand that can be met, for the moment, by medical professionals at the hospitals, then followed soon thereafter by BioTech people as the hub in Cleveland continues to grow

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1589 on: December 09, 2017, 02:14:50 PM »
Woodhaven has finished it's final phase, so I would imagine there is room for other developers to step in with competitive product.