PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Midtown: Development and News  (Read 32472 times)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Cleveland: Midtown: Development and News
« Reply #1530 on: August 23, 2017, 07:45:49 PM »
How many people would that translate to moving to Cleveland?

None. Hinckley Parkway is in Cleveland.
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Online Dougal

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1531 on: August 24, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »

The Revenue Group, an accounts receivable management company, signed a lease for 69,223 square feet in the office building at 3711 Chester Ave. in Cleveland, OH.

The two-story building totals 100,395 square feet in Midtown. The property’s former owner, Dealer Tire, vacated the property in early 2017.

I like the fact that ~70% of the building leased so quickly. The remaining 31K sq ft are being marketed; but I wonder if The Revenue Group (medical bill collectors) plans eventually to grow into the rest of it.  TRG claims to be growing.
There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1532 on: August 30, 2017, 02:57:13 PM »
While on the HealthLine at the East 36th station, I noticed fencing around a couple of buildings and snapped this picture. Why is the lovely 3-story building on the right being demolished and not rehabbed! The Stockbridge Apartments (just beyond it) isn't part of whatever is happening here -- thankfully.

3600 Euclid Ave-operatingengineers-083017s by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2017/04212017/index.php?pageNum_rsImage=1&totalRows_rsImage=201

Agenda for April 21, 2017

EUCLID CORRIDOR DESIGN REVIEW

EC2013-017 – Proposed Demolition of a 3-Story Office Building and adjacent 1-Story Office Building
Project Address: 3600 Euclid Avenue
Project Representative: Richard Dalton, International Union of Operating Engineers
Note: this project was Disapproved by the Planning Commission on September 20, 2013.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:59:29 PM by KJP »
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline Mendo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1533 on: August 30, 2017, 03:08:12 PM »
The owners proposed a parking lot there a couple years ago and were denied. The precedent was set a long time ago -- wait around and let the property deteriorate some more and request the demo permit again.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1534 on: August 30, 2017, 03:09:16 PM »
While on the HealthLine at the East 36th station, I noticed fencing around a couple of buildings and snapped this picture. Why is the lovely 3-story building on the right being demolished and not rehabbed!

Well for one thing the building is in clear violation of zoning. It's built right up to the sidewalk for crying out loud. Where's the grass? Where's the surface parking?
/s

Seriously it's a shame. I always liked that place and assumed it would be renovated. Art Deco?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:09:42 PM by surfohio »

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1535 on: August 30, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »
While on the HealthLine at the East 36th station, I noticed fencing around a couple of buildings and snapped this picture. Why is the lovely 3-story building on the right being demolished and not rehabbed!

Well for one thing the building is in clear violation of zoning. It's built right up to the sidewalk for crying out loud. Where's the grass? Where's the surface parking?
/s

Seriously it's a shame. I always liked that place and assumed it would be renovated. Art Deco?

So they tried it 4 years ago?

this project was Disapproved by the Planning Commission on September 20, 2013.

They must be taking the Cleveland Clinic approach.  If you don't succeed the first time, totally neglect the building for a period of time, and make sure it is open to the elements for good measure, so that the next time the request is made for demolition, it is granted due to the building being too far gone and un-salvageable..   

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1536 on: September 09, 2017, 10:37:25 PM »
On his Facebook page, Sam McNulty called this sculpture at the new Dealer Tire headquarters the ugliest sculpture he's ever seen. But think it's quite creative....

Offline math

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1537 on: September 12, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »
On his Facebook page, Sam McNulty called this sculpture at the new Dealer Tire headquarters the ugliest sculpture he's ever seen. But think it's quite creative....

Wake me up when Sam McNulty starts to support the arts in Cleveland a tenth as much as Scott Mueller.

Back on topic, the demolition listed above will be devastating for that intersection. It's already has the AIT spaceship on the other side of the street killing density, and the backside of the Masonic isn't helping either. That stretch is one of the worst for drivers pulling out of curb cuts blindly on pedestrians and cyclists.

Online 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1538 on: September 12, 2017, 10:56:24 AM »
This building doesn't fit the city's plan for the corridor.  The plan places greater value on vacant lots because it seeks a completely new type of land usage, a usage for which this otherwise highly adaptable structure is not ideal.  Bad plans lead to bad results.

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1539 on: September 13, 2017, 11:53:11 AM »
Most of the time that I open development threads on this site I'm usually excited for progress, except for this one. For the most part they are blowing a major opportunity to make this a viable, sustainable neighborhood where you can live, work and play. All of these developments circle around work and go home, there are really no outside developments that allow people to stay around here after which creates a long dead zone.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1540 on: September 15, 2017, 11:55:14 AM »
Most of the time that I open development threads on this site I'm usually excited for progress, except for this one. For the most part they are blowing a major opportunity to make this a viable, sustainable neighborhood where you can live, work and play. All of these developments circle around work and go home, there are really no outside developments that allow people to stay around here after which creates a long dead zone.

Let me share some development progress with you, then. This is Geis' Link 59 development which is filling in some big holes between the growing "dual hubs" of downtown and University Circle. I hope that the owner of the terra cotta beauty just beyond Link 59 will soon feel more comfortable in removing the bricked-up windows to shed more light on this section of Euclid Avenue....

Online 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1541 on: September 15, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »
McLovin's point remains, since these new developments are of a type that discourages street activity.  Open all the windows you want-- nobody will be out there.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1542 on: September 15, 2017, 01:24:02 PM »
McLovin's point remains, since these new developments are of a type that discourages street activity.  Open all the windows you want-- nobody will be out there.

I'm sorry, the communication line between Earth and your planet is a little garbled today. WTF are you talking about?

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1543 on: September 15, 2017, 01:31:02 PM »
People occupying buildings, by its very nature, encourages street activity

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1544 on: September 15, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
Especially those built up to the sidewalk and having uses that are likely to interact with the HealthLine station that's right there.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1545 on: September 15, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »
^ Like the hospital/medical center and Dave's Supermarket which is technically on Chester but many patrons will arrive on the Healthline.

Online 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1546 on: September 15, 2017, 02:00:18 PM »

I'm sorry, the communication line between Earth and your planet is a little garbled today. WTF are you talking about?

Right now I'm talking about your attitude, mister.  And now I'm done. 

The development plan for this area is too heavy on non-public uses.  Due to their exclusionary nature, offices do not lead to much street activity even when they're open.  More often than not these buildings are entirely human-free.  Years ago I remember people wondering why the Third Federal HQ didn't help liven up Broadway, when the answer is obvious.  All it does for the pedestrian public is give them a giant thing to walk past before anything of interest appears.  Same problem here, multiplied every single time they get it wrong.

One medical office and one grocer are nice but wow there's a lot of parking too, and we're talking about several miles of a street where transit speed was sacrificed for density of stops.  Ten years ago!  The whole thing is poorly executed.  Just ask the pedestrians you see in those pictures.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1547 on: September 15, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »
Ans why would there be pedestrians here?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #1548 on: September 15, 2017, 02:42:28 PM »
We've had this exact same fight on this thread many times. If anyone actually has anything new to add, by all means.  Otherwise, cram it.

Online 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1549 on: September 15, 2017, 02:43:10 PM »
[crams it]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:44:50 PM by 327 »

Offline BYoung

• Excavation Site
« Reply #1550 on: September 15, 2017, 09:36:50 PM »
The women and children's hospital should generate a lot of potential traffic, but I agree there needs to be activities. The link59 is slated for a coffee shop and that ground floor is capable of hosting retail. The ample parking between the streets makes me hope they can bring in a restaurant or 2. Dave's will help for sure.

Offline BYoung

• Excavation Site
« Reply #1551 on: September 15, 2017, 09:40:57 PM »
To me, Midtown's biggest hurdle is Warner-Swazey. It either needs to become something or nothing quick to keep the hopes alive. At least get rid of the open structure behind the main building.

Offline lafont

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1552 on: September 16, 2017, 05:50:31 PM »
That wide open area is about the most hazardous structure exposwd to everyone in Greater Cleveland.  Whoever is responsible forvthat outrage should be forced to do something or be in jail - for endangerment.

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1553 on: September 17, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »
Midtown's makeover will get lift from townhomes

September 17, 2017 4:00 am      UPDATED 11 HOURS AGO
By JAY MILLER

The sprucing up of Cleveland's Midtown neighborhood, once a ragged industrial district, is continuing. Soon, residents will be occupying $400,000 homes, and office workers will be toiling in the home of a former restaurant supply business.

Ground recently was broken by Boston's Vazza Real Estate Group for One Midtown, a complex of 23 townhomes at East 71st Street and Euclid Avenue, replacing a two-story brick building that last held a long-closed furniture liquidator. Vazza is building three-story, three-bedroom units with rooftop decks of between 1,800 and 2,200 square feet.

One Midtown is Vazza's first venture into Cleveland. Derek Holt, managing director of Vazza, said he has relatives and friends here and his firm has, for some time, been watching Cleveland "out of the corner of our eye."

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170917/news/135741/midtowns-makeover-will-get-lift-townhomes

Online TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1554 on: September 17, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »
$400,000? Wow...

Offline BYoung

• Excavation Site
« Reply #1555 on: September 17, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »
$479000 for the bigger of the range.  It was priced  based on producing a mortgage payment equivalent to One University Circle's rent. Expect woodhaven townhomes to jump if they sell.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1556 on: October 10, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »
More progress on Link 59....

Online stpats44113

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #1557 on: October 10, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »
I like it. The color really pops.

Offline tastybunns

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1558 on: October 11, 2017, 01:35:21 AM »
Lol it could pass as a small home depot

Offline old edale

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1559 on: October 11, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »
I agree with 327's point up thread. These buildings are being constructed on Cleveland's main drag, Euclid Avenue, and there is no ground floor retail? No extra height or special attention paid to the corner? I get that this area is coming back from basically nothing, but it's in between the two most successful and busy parts of Cleveland, and there is a very successful BRT line right there. More attention should have been paid to the ground level street facing facade. It's better than nothing, I suppose. Hopefully once there is more activity in Midtown, future development will orient more around pedestrians and transit.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:05:46 PM by edale »