PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: Midtown: Development and News  (Read 4435 times)

Clefan98 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline theguv

• Key Tower 947'
Re: Cleveland: Midtown Developments
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2007, 04:20:26 PM »
It sounds to me as if many people are objecting to the FORM this project will take as well as possible upkeep/maintenance issues. 

The recent development of the Skate(board)Plaza as a  replacement to the traditional skate park may have some relevance to the proposed Midtown mountain bike park.
The idea behind the development of a Skate Plaza is to create an enjoyable atmosphere for skating and hanging out that wouldn't be an eyesore to the rest of the community.  I've attached a photo of the first built Skate Plaza which is located in Kettering, OH.

Offline carolecohen

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2007, 07:47:48 PM »
Closer to CSU might be nice, but where might that be? I dunno, it just does not sound like a bad idea. And whose to say the area won't improve. I'm slightly optimistic that the City will start luring business to that area. Either way, it would be nice to see some hearings or 'dog and pony' presentations from MidTown on why they chose that site.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2007, 12:44:47 PM »
I think that if done correctly, the mtn bike park could be a big hit, and also receive a lot of positive national attention.  It would make sense to leave the streetside space open for future development.  Then things will start filling in.  Right now the area is shockingly blighted, and I see this idea as a pioneering attempt to bring people back there.

p.s. Does anybody actually know if they'll be tearing down any buildings? Has that even been mentioned as a possibility?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2007, 12:59:39 PM »
Surfohio,

I'd say it's pretty strongly implied that demolition is a part of the plan.

more info on midtown mtn bike park:

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2007/03/midtown_ramps_up_plans_for_bik.html#comments

MidTown ramps up plans for bike park
Posted by Henry J. Gomez March 12, 2007 11:34AM
Categories: Breaking News, Economic development

MidTown Cleveland Inc. is peddling plans for a $1.1 million mountain-bike park near East 55th Street and Euclid Avenue.
 An old, abandoned apartment and hotel building sits on the piece MidTown owns. "The city condemned it," Haviland said. "We tried to find developers to come in and redevelop it. But it's just too dilapidated and too far gone."

Also, if you listen to the last segment of the Meet the Bloggers conversation with Jim Haviland, you will hear more details about the proposed mtn. bike park.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:19:08 PM by McCleveland »

Offline carolecohen

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2007, 04:10:25 PM »
I say it's worth them pursuing it; private money, no one has expressed interest in demo ing and then developing, so why not do this and maybe more good stuff will follow; can't hurt to 'due diligence'

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2007, 08:57:22 PM »
Am I wrong in thinking this park would be in pretty close proximity to the Agora (having a hard time picturing the parcel)? Frankly, I don't think this is such a bad place for a bike park, given the lack of current investment in the area and its potential to highlight high visibility street use at multiple hours. Not to mention, I would think this would increase bicycle usage along Euclid ... it would be an additional node of bicycle activity on top of usage around downtown, Theatre District, CSU and University Circle. As has been mentioned by the guv and others, form will play a critical role in how the park is perceived. Personally, I'm excited to see the idea moving forward and thankful that such an amenity is being offered on the Near East side ... it seems that most quality-of-life investments right now are either taking place downtown or on the Near West Side.

Does anyone know whether there are additional bike lanes slated for this area, other than along Euclid. I can't recall the details of the infrastructure plan, except for bike lanes along St. Clair? It seems apt to have lanes along E. 55th between Euclid and St. Clair.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2007, 09:09:56 PM »
Good points.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2007, 10:11:34 PM »

Does anyone know whether there are additional bike lanes slated for this area, other than along Euclid. I can't recall the details of the infrastructure plan, except for bike lanes along St. Clair? It seems apt to have lanes along E. 55th between Euclid and St. Clair.

There are some neighborhood connector routes proposed.
You can checkout the whole plan here:
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/cwp/bike/cbmp0207.pdf

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2007, 01:16:01 PM »
Thanks Musky. I was actually referring to the capital improvements plan ... couldn't remember if anything had been allocated to bike lanes along E. 55th particularly. But there has ... $25,000 in 2009 for bike lanes from Euclid and E. 55th to the Lakefront and 55th (which in turn will connect directly to the Lakefront Bikeway). Personally, that sweetens this site for me ... with bike traffic coming from the north and east/west, this has the potential to be a very high visibility center of bicycle activity that may also benefit branding-wise from its history as an important transportation center ... yet another opportunity for Cleveland to show how we are building off of our history to create a truly livable city. IMHO, that's a pretty high-return use of land. 

Offline blinker12

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2007, 07:42:07 PM »
Whether people will actually use the bike park, however, is highly questionable. Certainly now, there's little to draw anyone there apart from its location halfway between University Circle and Downtown. Maybe when the ECP bike lanes are done, but again -- highly speculative. Knocking down historic buildings for such an unproven use seems wasteful to me. I might be convinced by some kind of market analysis, but even then, as others have noted, there is already an abundance of vacant land on Euclid, Superior, Payne, Carnegie, Chester, etc etc etc.

Online StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2007, 07:50:28 PM »
Knocking down historic buildings for such an unproven use seems wasteful to me. I might be convinced by some kind of market analysis, but even then, as others have noted, there is already an abundance of vacant land on Euclid, Superior, Payne, Carnegie, Chester, etc etc etc.

Amen.

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2007, 08:18:26 PM »
Would it be impossible to turn some of those historic buildings into a bike or repair shop? (which would obviously compliment the park).  Perfect location with minimal renovations needed, plus an expected amount of business.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 08:19:58 PM by MuRrAy HiLL »

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2007, 10:47:18 PM »
the buildings that are in question, I think, will require a large amount of renovation just to be habitable for any use.  That is the problem that Midtown is having.  But while I understand their frustration, it seems to me that they are looking to demo right when the market may be changing enough to justify major rehab because of things like the EC and the increased interest in development in Midtown and the area around CC.

Offline Vulpster03

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2007, 03:53:58 AM »
I'm leaning towards the negative side on the bike park for Midtown. To me it does seem like this would be a poor use of this particular site. A bike park might however be fantastic in the Flats somewhere in conjuction with the towpath trail. 

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2007, 06:35:04 AM »
ok.  I hear various view point.  but again, it looks as though this is going to happen.

So instead of listing reasons why this can't/won't/shouldn't work lets list reasons why this can/will/should work and list spinoff/ancillary business to further improve & support the park.

Offline jamiec

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2007, 10:07:52 AM »
^ The concept is weird to me. I'm a road biker, so I'm not so familiar with mountain biking. I thought mountain biking culture was all about the mountains like in Portland and Colorado. Are mountain bikers now bring their style of sport to urban areas like BMX and skateboarders?

The one thing that could make this cool, especially with how close it is to the Agora, is to sort of make it an alternative sports neighborhood. You could have the mountain biking park and maybe add-on parks for other related sports. Then the entire area could attract sport-related retailers, hotels, eateries and other businesses. The big issue is, the park HAS to be kick ass, otherwise it won't make a difference. They've got to create an environment that when people from around the country who like this sort of thing think Cleveland, they think of this park. In that regard, it can't be like the lil' baby parks popping up all over.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2007, 11:37:37 PM »
"The one thing that could make this cool, especially with how close it is to the Agora, is to sort of make it an alternative sports neighborhood. You could have the mountain biking park and maybe add-on parks for other related sports. Then the entire area could attract sport-related retailers, hotels, eateries and other businesses. The big issue is, the park HAS to be kick ass, otherwise it won't make a difference. They've got to create an environment that when people from around the country who like this sort of thing think Cleveland, they think of this park. In that regard, it can't be like the lil' baby parks popping up all over."

Agreed 100 percent Jamiec!!!!

Done the right way, this could attract a ton of positive national attention.

Offline blinker12

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2007, 12:56:01 PM »
I just heard today that the city's next comprehensive plan, now being finalized, will recommend an urban farm at E. 59th-ish between Chester and Euclid. It's a large vacant parcel. It would be similar to what Boston does with urban farming -- a program where dozens of local youth are employed to maintain the farm and harvest and sell the food on site, with the surplus going to local food banks. I love this idea, as it would create a considerable number jobs in Midtown (unlike a bike park), and would use land that is already vacant, rather than tearing down what little remains of our architectural heritage in this corridor.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 12:57:05 PM by blinker12 »

Online StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2007, 01:09:33 PM »
^Yeah, farming would be cool, but I hope they do some serious soil/groundwater sampling first.  Still not exactly a high-denisty use along our main corridor...

Offline gavster

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »
another disappointment for midtown....cows, pigs, and chickens, corn????????????...i seen enough of those growing up working on farms in Ashtabula county....not in Midtown Cleveland...wtf is going on with these people. what we'll have John Deeres and Massey Fergusons rollin down the new euclid corridor?  these people hafta be playing some joke.

Offline weepinwillow

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2007, 02:16:05 PM »
another disappointment for midtown....cows, pigs, and chickens, corn????????????...i seen enough of those growing up working on farms in Ashtabula county....not in Midtown Cleveland...wtf is going on with these people. what we'll have John Deeres and Massey Fergusons rollin down the new euclid corridor?  these people hafta be playing some joke.

I don't know. I think it can go either way. Creating a greater appreciation of food and farming in Cleveland could also be a gateway for eventually working and understanding the culture outside of our city in the rest of Ohio, where farming is certainly an important part of the state's identity.

Not to mention the added benefits should peak oil hit and gas prices go up to $5 and $6 a gallon.. then you'll be begging for urban farms!

Offline gavster

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2007, 05:21:49 PM »
there isnt near enough land in cleveland for farms to make even the slightest impact pricewise nor production.

Offline gavster

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2007, 05:23:03 PM »
and the growing season isnt that long so this land wont be used year round...half the year at most

Offline JDD941

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2007, 05:46:14 PM »
Soylent green is people!!!!

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2007, 08:28:05 PM »
I don't have a problem with some urban farms. Nice to have some re-localization of food production, and gets kids to get their hands dirty doing something production. I do have a problem with us rapidly paving over some of the best farmland in the world just beyond the urban fringe. But's that for another thread....
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2007, 09:09:46 PM »
ughh....This is the spin off development that our $230 million investment is going to bring us?  I hope that these uses are conceived as temporary uses pending redevelopment, otherwise I'm rapidly becoming disgusted with the lack of vision for this corridor.  And yeah, urban farming won't have any practical effect on price or production.

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2007, 09:33:17 PM »
Hey, I suggested a few years back that this area be developed into a massive park, modeled after the lovely Central Park. With a mountain bike park and an urban garden connected, this is what I consider joint development and a great way to make a dead-zone more active. Instead of criticizing this area, we should be praising ANY and I mean ***ANY*** development near in this area. And if you don't praise the urban garden or bike park, please do tell me what development we have seen in this area in the last 40 years?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2007, 09:58:59 PM »
The question isn't the last 40 years, its the next 40.  Your logic leads us to the

Midtown west of 55th has seen quite a bit of redevelopment, as has the area around CC/ Beacon Place.  Are we not expecting this development to continue. 

A major public investment is being made in the form of a rebuilt Euclid Ave.  Is this what is going to be leveraged from this investment?

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2007, 10:56:47 PM »
^ I am on the same boat as you, X, but I don't think that the sudden announcement of two parks means a bleek future. If you're thinking that we may end up with 50 parks (which won't happen), then we could start worrying. I think these two parks will spur development in the area. Right now it's a very creepy area and the bike park will pay a compliment to the Euclid Corridor. If I was to ride from downtown to UC (which I intend to do), I would be pedaling to metal around E. 55th St. because there is less good than bad in that area right now. Having other people present at parks will create a sense of safety in the area. No longer will the only liveliness in that part of MidTown be at Galucci's picnic benches out front.

Offline glutmax

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2007, 11:22:07 PM »
^With so much area available to redevelop, how would whats being discussed here (maybe not the densest, or most usual form of development) prevent additional development.  If anything it would provide new sparks for unique types of urban development.  And as far as vision goes, what types of development, exactly, are to be expected?  Why not try something different.  It's not like developers are just clammoring over one another to quickly redevelop this land, anyway.  Let this start as a nidus, perhaps we start a Gravity/X Games type distict.  Hell, who knows.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 11:23:23 PM by glutmax »