PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Midtown: Development and News  (Read 5029 times)

Offline math

• One SeaGate 411'
Re: Cleveland: Midtown Developments
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 06:21:56 PM »
as a fixie rider, I wish it was a velodrome, but as there is already an indoor mtn bike park in that area, I certainly won't complain.  perhaps I will get one of those bikes with the knobby tires and tool around e 55.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 12:55:20 PM »
Umm, yeah, a bike park right on our main street.  Sounds wonderful.

Offline theguv

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 01:37:10 PM »
Umm, yeah, a bike park right on our main street.  Sounds wonderful.

is this sarcasm?  if so, why?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 10:31:41 PM »
Sarcasm, yes.  This seems like a real low intensity use for a major intersection on the main street of our city.  Basically, how will it be different from a vacant lot with a few paths, hills and dips cut into it?  I am still hoping for more- dense urban housing, the Midtown Tech Center to get going, maybe some neighborhood retail.  Maybe this is ok for a little while if it doesn't get in the way of future redevelopment of the site.

Offline math

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2007, 10:04:51 AM »
I'll take a stab at it.  it is good because that area of cleveland needs amenities.  and there's certainly not a dearth of brownfields and empty lots that need redevelopment.  so why not?  think of it as a park, for young people on bikes.  and it is not without precendent.  as I mentioned, there is an indoor mtn bike park, which is pretty fancy.  as is my nature, I totally spaced the location.  but it is still something, first of its kind in the world, and quite popular in the winter months.

http://www.raysmtb.com/index.html

how I thought this was in midtown I have no idea. 

Offline theguv

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2007, 09:15:14 AM »
more info on midtown mtn bike park:

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2007/03/midtown_ramps_up_plans_for_bik.html#comments

MidTown ramps up plans for bike park
Posted by Henry J. Gomez March 12, 2007 11:34AM
Categories: Breaking News, Economic development

Also, if you listen to the last segment of the Meet the Bloggers conversation with Jim Haviland, you will hear more details about the proposed mtn. bike park.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:17:45 PM by McCleveland »

Offline theguv

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2007, 09:19:31 AM »
I'm with Math on this one.  Great neighborhoods need amenities.  I agree that this site is prominent, but if done right, I think this could be a bike park/ sculpture park that could be enjoyed by both cyclists and non-cyclists alike.

While I agree that housing and retail are important, I believe neighborhood parks are just as critical.

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2007, 09:36:06 AM »
Aggghh.  Why tear down the buildings at E57th and Euclid?  What, do they need 2'-0" to get a functional bike park?  THERE ARE ACRES UPON ACRES OF FREAKING EMPTY LOTS TO BUILD A BIKE PARK ON!
I'm so sick of this type of thinking in this damn city.

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2007, 12:36:23 PM »
Please...this is absolutely ridiculous.  This is a major intersection in the City of Cleveland close to highway transportation, right on a new major bus line that is costing millions and half way between Cleveland's two large employment centers (downtown and UC).  Why in the world is Midtown focusing on this rather than attracting developers to build something (anything) which will create hundreds of jobs.  I mean what is Midtown's mission? They seem lost on this one.  This may be a worthwhile project (and I have nothing against green space in the area) but there are scores of locations where it would be more appropriate.  It seems to me they are just tire of all those empty lots they can't seem to market.

Offline gavster

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2007, 12:52:05 PM »
this bike park is a complete joke and waste of nearly 1+ million...they cant be serious

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2007, 12:55:29 PM »
I don't see this as that ridiculous. I'll qualify this first by saying that I don't know the entire footprint. Cleveland has a lot of open and derelict spaces in all the wrong places. Yes, I'd love to see an office complex here that employees thousands, but how likely is that? I trust that MidTown has tried and tried to make that happen, and that in their ever-wise judgment feel that its just not going to happen. Why not take this space and infuse a bunch of young adventurous people into the area. Make this a unique experience. Add a skatepark to the mix. Then watch as bike store opens across the street. Then a skateboard shop. Then some cool alternative concert club shows up. Then a cafe or two or three. etc etc.

I'm all for innovative ideas that add life to our city. I'm very curious about this project. My first thought was negative, but I'd like to find out more about their plans.

Offline gavster

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2007, 12:59:19 PM »
Midtown Cleveland Submerging :x

Offline mtnbiker

• Excavation Site
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2007, 02:09:47 PM »
As a mountain biker and road cyclist, I can attest that these type of amenities are important to a demographic that Cleveland claims to want to attract and keep here. That said, I can also understand why a bike park may not immediately appear to be a high value/return for land use when compared with retail, housing or office use. However, there are spin-off benefits of amenities such as a bike park that may be overlooked unless they are seen as part of the big picture in Cleveland.  Take Rayís Indoor Mountain Bike Park that was mentioned in an earlier post: 

http://www.raysmtb.com

Rayís is in the Walford Industrial Park in the West Boulevard area. Not only does the park have a solid local following and a supportive community of riders, but also since Rayís opened in 2004, busloads of Canadians and other out-of-towners have been making their way to Cleveland specifically to spend their winter weekends riding at Rayís.  In fact, last year over half the riders that came to Rayís on the weekends were from outside the region. See some of their comments
http://www.thebikinghub.com/mtb/rays-indoor-mtb-park-feature/

I am not suggesting that a bike park in Midtown will result in the same number of out-of-town visits that Rayís draws. But amenities such as Rayís and bike trails in our parks are important enough to Clevelanders that they have donated thousands hours to advocate for, to design, to build, and to maintain these facilities.  Not only have they donated their professional expertise and time to Rayís Indoor Mountain Bike Park, but also to the Cleveland Metroparks, where volunteers from the Cleveland Area Mountain Bike Association (CAMBA) http://www.camba.us  are working in partnership with Cleveland Metroparks at the Ohio & Erie Canal Reservation to construct Cuyahoga Countyís first multi-use trail designed for mountain biking.  In addition, events such as Walk and Roll Cleveland that highlight Rockefeller Park and the Cultural Gardens, the cycling-related activities planned for the Ingenuity Festival this summer, and the efforts of ClevelandBikes to develop a bike station downtown all contribute to making Cleveland a more attractive place to live and work.  And with increasing concerns over sedentary lifestyles and the lack of outdoor activities readily available to young people, a bike park in Midtown could prove to be not just a short-term option for an empty lot, but also a long- term asset for the community.  Is the proposed location the best one for the park?  Are there currently other viable options for that land?  I donít know that answer.

And for the fixie rider wishing for a Velodrome - there is talk of getting that going here in Cleveland.  See the blog http://velodrome4c.blogspot.com/.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2007, 02:16:33 PM »
mtnbiker,

welcome to the forum and thanks for the very informative post!

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2007, 02:17:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and although I'm not a cyclist, I agree with your perspective.

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2007, 03:18:47 PM »
if London, Ontario can have a velodrome, why not Cleveland?

Offline jamiec

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2007, 04:49:19 PM »
Good post. I think it'd help to see some sort of concept of what people are talking about. A destination facility is probably different than the dirt pit with bumps that some may be envisioning.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »

Thanks for the info mtnbiker and welcome to the forum. I live a couple of blocks from Rays and although I'm not the mountain biker type, I have turn on a few of my friends to the place.

I had to lookup Velodrome.
Now that I know what were talking about, I'm all in.

I will count this as another step toward my secret goal of getting the summer Olympics to Cleveland in time for the 100th anniversary of the 1936 Great Lakes Exposition.

Crap, no longer a secret.

Offline smackem81

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »
If it gets done (the bike park), it needs to be done in such a manner that its not actually built up onto euclid and is using mostly useless land near the tracks. For instance the southeast corner where all the police cars would work or the northwest corner tucked up near the tracks. Prime frontage land shouldnt be grenspace. Midtown has a master plan stick with it, not this dump the land manuver just because somebody will do something with it.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2007, 09:13:57 PM »
Ray's looks awesome! I've never heard of it, and would have loved a place like that when I was a teenager and into BMX.

Ray's is real close to an area I cover for Sun. Since the reporter for the area Ray's is in is leaving Sun at the end of the month, I will see about doing an article about the place. We're trying to attract young readers to Sun, anyway!
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2007, 09:49:58 PM »
welcome mtnbiker! 

Ray's looks awesome, but it doesn't look like what this development sounds like it's going to be.  This Euclid/E. 55th St. bike park is going to be outdoors.  What advantage then does it have over any other bike park anywhere else?  I'm all for more bike facililies- including all the others you have mentioned, even this sort of bike park in another location.  But unless it is considerably more than I am envisioning(I have to admit I'm still falling on the "dirt pile with bumps" side, as jamiec put it so eloquently), I can't yet see that it is appropriate for this location.  I know that development has lagged in this portion of Midtown, but isn't this what the Euclid Corridor is supposed to be helping along?  This would seem to be a prime spot for some BRT inspired TOD.

And I haven't even broached the topic of the historic buildings they are planning on demoing for this.

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2007, 08:33:40 AM »
Building at E57th and Euclid = best vacant structure in the city.  God d$#m I hope it doesn't get torn down.

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2007, 08:35:10 AM »
Will they put red flame fences around this bike park like the skate park at Voinovich Park?  That would be really sweet... pfffff.

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2007, 08:40:03 AM »
My bad on 3 consecutive posts, but wouldn't this sort of thing go over alot better on Euclid Ave on CSU's campus?  The city needs to start overlapping uses to get a density of people together instead of continually spreading out amenities like this.  It would certainly make CSU a little more enticing to prospective students.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2007, 08:47:06 AM »
My bad on 3 consecutive posts, but wouldn't this sort of thing go over alot better on Euclid Ave on CSU's campus?  The city needs to start overlapping uses to get a density of people together instead of continually spreading out amenities like this.  It would certainly make CSU a little more enticing to prospective students.

W 28 street, great point.  CSU or near League Park.

Has anyone contacted Midtown with their ideas?

Offline blinker12

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2007, 12:44:58 PM »
I agree the bike park is a terrible idea. Something like that would only do well in an area that already has other things to attract people. It is an amenity that can help reinforce an already successful area, but on its own, surrounded by empty lots, it won't have any pull. Why would anyone ride choose to ride their bike on this profoundly depressing site, scarred by a history of abandonment, disinvestment and demolition?

Offline theguv

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2007, 01:29:54 PM »
I agree the bike park is a terrible idea. Something like that would only do well in an area that already has other things to attract people. It is an amenity that can help reinforce an already successful area, but on its own, surrounded by empty lots, it won't have any pull.

Ray's Indoor Mtn Bike Park has proven to be very successful in an area surrounded by empty warehouses.  Would an INDOOR mtn. bike park concept change your support of this proposal for E. 55th? 

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »
For myself, I'd be more apt to be supportive of an indoor facility, especially if it included a variety of related retail uses, like those mentioned earlier by 3231, at street level with exterior exits.  Even then, is there a market for two of these facilities so close to each other?  What is the advantage of locating this facility on such a potentially prominent piece of land?  Is it the highest and best use for the site?

I'm not saying I couldn't warm to the idea, but I'm not seeing it yet.

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2007, 07:01:41 PM »

CSU and League Park are not part of MidTown. And even if they were part of MidTown, I think League Park is in one of the shoddiest parts of Cleveland. I saw a car being "taken apart" across the street on W. 65th near Hough the other day and there was a 16-year old murdered there last August. Sadly, that's only a few blocks from the proposed site.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 07:06:29 PM by bizbiz »

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2007, 07:06:29 PM »

You're joking about League Park, right?

No.  why would you think i'm joking?  why wouldn't a project like this work in that area?