PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Midtown: Development and News  (Read 5030 times)

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Midtown Developments
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2007, 02:30:57 PM »
$480,000 per month?????????? That has to be a misprint.

Offline FrqntFlyr

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2007, 03:10:21 PM »
^That's got to be an annual number............right?

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2007, 03:46:18 PM »
$480,000 per month?????????? That has to be a misprint.

Very definitely a misprint.  That kind of money can get you 50,000 sf in the very best midtown Manhattan buildings.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2007, 12:06:41 PM »
I read a little while ago that the city designated an area of Midtown "The Art Quarter". I was just wondering if anyone has heard any new developments in line with this designation? Or is this only a name change on paper so far?

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2007, 12:13:27 PM »
I read a little while ago that the city designated an area of Midtown "The Art Quarter". I was just wondering if anyone has heard any new developments in line with this designation? Or is this only a name change on paper so far?

The district of design.  If you do a search you'll see a thread.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2007, 12:50:11 PM »
I thought the two were different?

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2007, 01:00:54 PM »
I've never heard of an "arts quarter".  8shadesofgray or anyone else heard of these two distinct district?

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2007, 01:06:02 PM »
Group gets a handle on art haunts
Renaming area underscores trend
Monday, April 16, 2007
Jesse Tinsley
Plain Dealer Reporter

A Cleveland neighborhood is gradually becoming an art district - one of those funky, vibrant enclaves of artists' studios, galleries, bistros and live-work spaces that are spreading all over the country....

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:23:23 PM by McCleveland »

Offline Jax

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2007, 04:27:48 PM »
I don't know if this should really go here or not..

LINK TO ARTICLE

Solon biotech firm headed to Midtown

By CHUCK SODER

4:30 am, August 20, 2007

Biotechnology company Analiza Inc. will move to Midtown Cleveland from Solon in October.

The company, which analyzes potential drugs for pharmaceutical companies, signed a lease to take 6,000 square feet in the Tyler Elevator Building, said Mark Stratton, vice president of marketing and business development. The extra 2,500 square feet will allow Analiza to add a few people to its staff of about 12, he said.

Its cancer diagnostics subsidiary, AnalizaDx LLC, will move with it. The unit analyzes the structure of proteins in bodily fluids to diagnose cancer.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2007, 12:31:49 PM »
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but this sounds pretty cool:

Victory Building on Euclid Corridor to be converted to lofts, shops
Saturday, September 22, 2007
Alison Grant
Plain Dealer Reporter

The Euclid Corridor Project has spawned its first residential development in the Midtown neighborhood -- a loft conversion of a warehouse and office property at East 71st Street and Euclid Avenue...

agrant@plaind.com, 216-999-4758
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:24:04 PM by McCleveland »

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2007, 03:22:13 PM »
Cool, can't wait for these to open. It may still be too early to celebrate, but looks like the ECP is sparking the new development that was promised.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2007, 09:29:36 PM »
And it's drawing investment from other cities -- note that two of partners are from LA and NYC.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline theguv

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2007, 05:37:52 PM »
Cleveland Free Times
Volume 15, Issue 29
Published November 21st, 2007
Arts News

Cleveland is an old-school manufacturing town. What we know how to do is take raw materials and make something out of them, a fact that continually resurfaces as neighborhoods are reborn - not just in the old warehouse and factory space we find new ways to use, but even sometimes in the ways we find to use it.

The much collected artist Tom Balbo recently announced the establishment of the Morgan Art of Papermaking Conservatory and Education Foundation, which will be known as the Morgan Conservatory, for short. A graduate of Baldwin-Wallace College and Syracuse University, Balbo began his career as a potter and print-maker - media he continues to pursue - but over the last 25 years his interests have increasingly turned toward paper-making, casting and paper-based sculpture. He's worked mostly in Cleveland and maintains a gallery on Hough Avenue. He's in the process of equipping and moving into the space that will be the Morgan Conservatory, a former machine shop with 15,000 square feet of industrial space at 1754 E. 47th St., between Commerce and Payne.

When it's all up and running, the new organization will have three directions of programming: a kind of apprenticeship program that teaches and certifies people in the making of paper; an art lab, which Balbo says will bring artists of various disciplines to work in residency to make paper-based work, which could be anything from sculpture to cast paper to print-making; and a book arts program, which will bring master book-makers and printers to teach a range of skills and techniques involved in the hand-making of books, from binding structures to printing with letter press machines. The organization will also distribute fine, handmade papers. A small gallery will show the paper-making process, examples of papers and the work of artists.

In addition to parking, there's space on location where Balbo plans to grow kozo, a plant whose fiber is used to make one of the many Japanese styles known as "rice" paper.

The Morgan Conservatory plans to operate in conjunction with nearby printmaking cooperative Zygote Press, which should make the neighborhood even more noteworthy as a destination for printmakers and other artists. Details of the relationship are not yet worked out, but the two organizations plan to work together on visiting artist programs, as well as gallery shows and openings.

Balbo says the Morgan Conservatory established its 501 (c) (3) nonprofit status in August and is now raising funds. The space is under renovation, but he's planning a short workshop to take place in January, and hopes to have a residency program underway by summer 2008.

http://www.balbogalleries.com/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:27:23 PM by theguv »

Offline tinkerbelle

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2007, 08:49:14 PM »
So is the District of Design within the Arts Quarter?

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2007, 10:20:25 AM »
They overlap. If I recall correctly, The QuARTer stretches from Payne to St. Clair between E. 17th and E. 40th. The design district, I believe runs from E. 9th (or maybe E. 12th) to E. 36th and from Euclid to the lake. I could be a little off on these boundaries, but I believe the main gap is that the District of Design doesn't cover the live-work stretch along E. 40th between Superior and Chester and possibly not all of Tyler Village.

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2007, 11:11:35 AM »
Why can't they just call it Midtown to make it easy on everyone?

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »
For one thing, neither the QuARTer effort nor the District of Design are based primarily in Midtown. The QuARTer isn't in Midtown at all ... it's inside the downtown Quadrangle district and the St. Clair Superior service area. The District of Design is largely in the downtown Theater, Financial, Civic and Quadrangle districts and the St. Clair Superior Service area, with a relatively small sliver (about E. 26th to E. 36th between Euclid and Payne) in Midtown.

Offline zaceman

« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2007, 02:42:40 PM »
"QuARTer"?  seriously?  its spelled like that? 

Offline Vulpster03

« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2007, 08:04:24 AM »
Why can't they just call it Midtown to make it easy on everyone?

I agree. In my opinion, everything between Downtown and University Circle should be Midtown and it should be governed by a single CDC.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2007, 08:09:04 AM »
Technically, the Quadrangle is not a CDC but more of a Chamber of Commerce type organization for businesses in that area. Not entirely - but mostly.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2007, 08:11:13 AM »
"QuARTer"?  seriously?  its spelled like that? 

I know that someone meant well but *groan*  :roll:

Offline Confiteordeo

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2007, 11:35:14 AM »
I know that someone meant well but *groan*  :roll:

It's still better than "Funkytown." (gag!)

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM »
^I dunno, that was MY song back in the roller-rink days!

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2007, 11:41:18 AM »
I like Fairfax.  If anything, I would call it all Fairfax.  I have no other reasoning, just like the name. 

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2007, 11:46:40 AM »
^To me, Fairfax is just the residential area south of the Clinic and doesn't cover anywhere west of 55th or north of Carnegie [yes, I know technically the Clinic is in Fairfax].

Yeah, the naming thing is out of control- I think we need to start over.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »
nice article guv. cool news. the morgan conservatory is a type of niche arts organization that could really be a big part of making midtown's nut. i am thinking of the cma's painting restoration project too. these specialties will bring in creative people from all over the world.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2007, 12:03:26 PM »
^So true.  And also the ICA (intermuseum conservation association) which serves little museums all over the midwest- that means two full time professional conservancy staffs within the city.

Offline theguv

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »
VIA : http://techczar.blog.com/2538397/

One of the more amazing transformations of a building that I was privy to during my time as “Tech Czar,” was the Baker Electric Building (also known as the Carpenter Press Building) located on Euclid Avenue and E. 71st.  The building was designed by Frank B. Meade and built in 1910 for the Baker Electric Motor Car (quick note – Cleveland was a leader in electric car technology nearly a hundred years ago). Baker Electric was founded and operated by Walter C. Baker a tech pioneer and memorable entrepreneur. The building was used as car showroom. Over the years at has been the site of many companies most notably as the home of Carpenter Press.

A real estate partnership including Cumberland Development, New Era Builders and Ariel Ventures bought the building in June of 2006. The new owners understood that there was a shortage of incubator and post-incubator space for technology based companies. (Quick side note – I was trying to get the City of Cleveland to buy Carpenter Press Building at the same the new owners were reviewing the sight. I wanted to create a biotech incubator and R&D facility.) The new owners immediately began the renovation of the 52,000 square foot facility. It was totally gutted, a new parking lot was put in, back-up power and the original car showroom has been brought back to as original state as it can be. The goal was to create an environment to develop over a 100 new tech jobs in the Midtown corridor.

Current tenants now include:

·         Bunge BIPHOR – an innovator of pigments and coatings
·         Volcano Corporation – a company that develops intravascular ultrasound technology
·         Diagnostic Hybrids – an R&D company that specializes in molecular diagnostic kits
·         iNetworks – a Pittsburgh-based venture capital group
·         Cumberland Development – owner and real estate development company

There is only 20,000 square feet available in the building and it is estimated that it will be fully-occupied by the end of summer. The project cost almost $7.1 million and was supported New Markets Tax Credits and $1.0 million from the County’s Brownfield Redevelopment Fund. Unfortunately, no City participation. The building is now listed on the National Register for Historic Places and was redeveloped utilizing green and sustainable design practices and will receive a LEED Silver Certification.

This building’s proximity to University Circle (and especially the Cleveland Clinic) and Downtown will make this a very attractive building for new tech companies. Of course, having a venture capital group on site is always a provocative development. I have always been proud of this development, especially given its Midtown location.  Of course, more development is necessary in the Midtown area but my sources in the real estate area are detailing to me that there is significant real estate speculation in the Midtown area. This could be a fantastic corridor (now with the RTA Silver Line nearing completion) for tech and biotech. Stay tuned for new developments and congrats to all those involved in the Baker Electric Building.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2008, 02:24:50 PM »
Does anyone know the story with the ratty old vacant supermarket building on Euclid Ave. in front of the Playhouse parking lot?  County Auditor site says its owned (and has been owned for a long time) by Si Harb.  That thing ain't pretty.  I believe it's the last conspicuous piece of blight between E79th and University Circle (putting aside the fast food places.  And the new suburban drug store at 79th.  And the Clinic.  And all the poorly sited non-profits across from the Clinic.)

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2008, 11:33:25 AM »
I forgot the name, but there was supposed to be a building near Euclid and E. 30th that was going to be re-habbed from office to apartment. It is on of the bigger buildings in that part of MidTown.. it was announced last year and then nothing was ever spoke of it again. Updates? Scrapped idea? It wasn't listed as a project in the PD's fabulous Euclid article on Sunday either.