Author Topic: Cleveland: University Circle: Uptown (UARD)  (Read 32277 times)

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline Paul in Cleveland

• Kettering Tower 408'
Re: Cleveland: University Circle: Uptown (UARD)
« Reply #1831 on: June 27, 2018, 01:40:36 PM »
Stopped by "the hand" at lunch today to check on its progress ... it's definitely weird, but not overly creepy (as I feared). I like it. But everyone is going to be calling it Thing from the Addams family for the rest of time, I'm afraid. Lol.

Offline Dougal

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1832 on: June 27, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
^ Is it permanent or just for the FRONT show's run? (I like it)
There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1833 on: June 27, 2018, 02:55:03 PM »
Is there a board somewhere that vetoes Cleveland art installations that aren't menacing enough?  This one looks like a tribute to Evil Dead 2.  I'm a fan of horror movies but I'm not sure that's the civic theme we need to pursue.

Offline Paul in Cleveland

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1834 on: June 27, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »
^ Is it permanent or just for the FRONT show's run? (I like it)

They've announced that it will stay on as a permanent part of CWRU's John and Mildred Putnam Sculpture Collection.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1835 on: June 27, 2018, 03:42:12 PM »
Thanks for reminding me of one the worst movies of Michael Caine's long and illustrious career. Yes, this movie was as bad as it looks....

"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline ASP1984

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1836 on: June 27, 2018, 11:14:06 PM »
This guy speaks for me.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:55:18 PM by ASP1984 »

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1837 on: July 03, 2018, 06:07:08 PM »
More HAND:

Judy’s Hand Pavilion arrives at Toby’s Plaza as part of citywide contemporary-art exhibition
JULY 3, 2018

Over the past week, a new public art installation has taken shape at Toby’s Plaza: Judy’s Hand Pavilion, part of this summer’s FRONT International: Cleveland Triennial for Contemporary Art.

The piece, designed by Chicago-based artist Tony Tasset, is a silver hand that stands at about 25 feet tall and 7 1/2 feet from the heel of the hand to the ground. At the wrist, it is approximately 10 feet wide. Its exterior is fiberglass, while concrete fills the fingers.

The sculpture is intended to double as a public shelter and gathering spot on Toby’s Plaza, an open space made possible by the support of alumna Toby Devan Lewis, a local author, art curator and philanthropist.

http://thedaily.case.edu/judys-hand-pavilion-arrives-tobys-plaza-part-citywide-contemporary-art-exhibition/?hootPostID=e07cc2359e840ab14d6a20f6f23bb629

Offline dave2017

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1838 on: July 03, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »
I admire the concept. Unfortunately, the hand formation is menacing. I wish the hand was in a more relaxed position. I do fear it will be referenced to The Addams Family.  It  could have been interesting to have changed the form To Rodin's Thinker's feet.  It would be a nod to the missing feet from the damaged sculpture outside of CMA
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:48:37 PM by dave2017 »

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1839 on: July 20, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »
Piccadilly Artisan Creamery moves into former Coquette space in Uptown

Updated 6:13 AM; Posted 6:12 AM
By Nikki Delamotte, cleveland.com, NDelamotteUllman@Cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Ice cream, coffee and patio lounging is poised to be the recipe for success for Piccadilly Artisan Creamery in Uptown. Stroll through the district these days and you might notice something just a little bit different. The ice cream shop, opened in 2014 by Adrian Bota, has moved down one storefront to take over the space formerly owned by Coquette Patisserie at 11607 Euclid Ave.

Since the Parisian cafe closed its doors earlier this year, Piccadilly plans to fill a bit of the niche it left. The shop will soon be serving pastries and coffee through a partnership with Cleveland's Vintage Tea and Coffee. Expect to see espresso, cappuccino, pour overs, green tea lattes and more in the coming weeks.

"Coquette had a good clientele that was coming in for coffee, tea and pastries, and we wanted to continue with some of that," Bota says. "We want people to see it as a third space where people can come and enjoy ice cream or have a meeting and a cup of tea or coffee and croissant. We wouldn't do that when Coquette was next door, but now we can become a little more of a one-stop-shop."

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/07/piccadilly_artisan_creamery_co.html

Offline MyPhoneDead

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1840 on: August 01, 2018, 10:25:49 AM »
Anyone know what's going into that space next to BiBiBop? I believe it was the old First Merit space. Every time I come from work I see the dumpster out and a crew inside clearing the space out, but no "coming soon" sign.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1841 on: August 06, 2018, 05:58:12 PM »
On July 18, several properties transferred by quit claim deed....

11601 EUCLID AVE--PPN 120-23-016....Seller EUCLID 115 II LLC....buyer UPTOWN EUCLID HOLDING LLC
11601 EUCLID AVE--PPN 120-23-016....seller UPTOWN EUCLID HOLDING LLC....buyer UPTOWN THREE L. P.
11607 EUCLID AVE--PPN 120-23-072....seller EUCLID 115 LLC....buyer UPTOWN EUCLID HOLDING LLC
11611 EUCLID AVE--PPN 120-23-077....seller UPTOWN EUCLID HOLDING LLC....buyer UPTOWN THREE L. P.
11611 EUCLID AVE--PPN 120-23-077....seller EAST 116TH AND EUCLID LLC....buyer UPTOWN EUCLID HOLDING LLC

I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. These are all now owned by principals of Bluewater Capital Partners LLC (ie: Michael Cantor and Russell Lamb) but no money changed hands. Instead, it appears that the rights to develop the parking lot at the corner of Euclid/East 115th and the former Circle Vistas building next door transferred from Beresch Development Partners LLC to Bluewater. The reason why this may have happened is that, apparently CWRU declined to exercise its option to buy the former Circle Vistas (now called Euclid-115 I) which it was entitled to do five years after CWRU sold it to Beresch in June 2013:
https://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/06/developer_buys_former_disabled.html

Anyone have any better information. Perhaps this means that the long-awaited second phase, Euclid-115 II, will be built?

The site (parking lot and the two buildings beyond it along Euclid)....

Here's a couple of graphics I kept from 2015 showing the plans for the Euclid-115 II (including the street corner parcel) back then....

"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1842 on: August 06, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »
With the rents you could fetch as a developer at such a centralized, primo location, I would be absolutely shocked if they only built two stories.

Offline imjustinjk

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1843 on: August 08, 2018, 09:33:27 AM »
I admire the concept. Unfortunately, the hand formation is menacing. I wish the hand was in a more relaxed position. I do fear it will be referenced to The Addams Family.  It  could have been interesting to have changed the form To Rodin's Thinker's feet.  It would be a nod to the missing feet from the damaged sculpture outside of CMA