PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Warehouse District: Development and News  (Read 6548 times)

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Warehouse District Developments
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 11:34:48 AM »
FYI NEWBIES:  We like pictures with updates.  hint, hint  ;)   ;)   he he he he

Offline urbanlife

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »
did this section have granite curbs before?  i notice that the new work is all concrete.  but, i'm extremely excited about how fast this is happening. 

does anyone know how this is only $60k?  there appears to be 3 sewer moves, no electrical or water relocations, and just removal of road and pouring new concrete, but it still seems cheap and at this cost and speed, a lot should be a lot of street improvements accomplished downtown.

Offline Niko

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2009, 12:56:50 PM »
FYI NEWBIES:  We like pictures with updates.  hint, hint  ;)   ;)   he he he he

I'd love to, but I can't connect any usb storage device to my work laptop (phones and cameras won't connect)

Offline Hootenany

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2009, 12:58:14 PM »
^Pretty sure they were concrete curbs before this update.  I can't imagine they would remove granite and replace with concrete...

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2009, 01:07:23 PM »
Great idea...All for it, but please, let's make it a going green effort and yet another small example of sustainability...get some interesting native plants in this thing...Not Home Depot stock. The natives could be a theme unto itself. ("Cleveland's Flowers") See www.prairienursery.com and look at what we could have that would provide an energy saving year 'round color scheme.

You could also contact McKinight Associates with your ideas and questions, they are the landscape architect.
http://www.mcknightla.com/profile.html

^Pretty sure they were concrete curbs before this update.  I can't imagine they would remove granite and replace with concrete...

They are granite curbs, they are being reused I'm sure, just moved out.  You can see it on the pic on cleveland.com

Offline Etheostoma Caeruleum

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »
Great idea...All for it, but please, let's make it a going green effort and yet another small example of sustainability...get some interesting native plants in this thing...Not Home Depot stock. The natives could be a theme unto itself. ("Cleveland's Flowers") See www.prairienursery.com and look at what we could have that would provide an energy saving year 'round color scheme.

You could also contact McKinight Associates with your ideas and questions, they are the landscape architect.

They are granite curbs, they are being reused I'm sure, just moved out.  You can see it on the pic on cleveland.com

Thanks, I used all the contacts and sent them letters. If anyone wants to see the letter, email me on the side.

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2009, 01:44:50 PM »
This may be a the winner of the fastest completed project in Cleveland. Ever.

:-D :-D :-D

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2009, 03:25:22 PM »
You can see it on the pic on cleveland.com

Would you be able to fix the links on here to the pics on cleveland.com? I can't see them in the article you posted, and I really don't want to go there.

Offline Floods7

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2009, 08:37:02 PM »
Quick pic while walking to my car. I didnt realize I was going to be over here today or I would have brought a good camera, so this will have to do.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:38:50 PM by Floods7 »

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 08:44:09 PM »
That does just fine - shows that they're going to town pretty quickly!

Offline hubz1124

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2009, 10:31:58 PM »
I'm very excited for this project, I feel like quality streetscraping can really enhance the feel of an area and for all the diabolic haters that say nothing ever gets done (timely) in Cleveland, I say it sure looks like this project got off the ground quickly.

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2009, 06:51:48 AM »
I walked by last night, and frankly, I'm amazed. It looks like it's almost completely laid now. Amazingly fast! What is also exciting for me is that they're working around the existing lamps and trees. I was so disappointed to see the large-growth trees go on E. 12th, so to see so much care being taken to preserve the existing landscape elements warms my little urban geek heart.

Offline Niko

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2009, 10:52:50 AM »
Does anyone know if they're going to replace the span between what they've already done and the buildings, or would that be too much of a hindrance for the businesses there?

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »
I was there today, and aside from one small stretch between Nauti Mermaid and Starbucks, it was pretty much done. Nothing fancy but that extra square footage makes a big difference!

Online StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2009, 06:43:40 PM »
This really is an inspiring little project.  And for only $60K? makes me want to pass a hat around to fund another block somewhere else downtown.

Offline urb-a-saurus

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »
Now they just need to fill in the parking lot on the east side of the street with compatible buildings

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2009, 11:41:16 PM »
Now they just need to fill in the parking lot on the east side of the street with compatible buildings

You said it! Everytime I walk past that, I just grin and shake my head wishing something of quality could fill this in soon. Man, even if it was a huge park would be better than a parking lot.

Offline JeTDoG

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2009, 05:11:07 AM »

Unfortunately, if there was granite there before (and I can't recall if there was), it appears to have been "value engineered" out of the final product, as what's there currently is slipformed concrete :-(. This makes me a sad 'DoG, but I'll deal...the overall result is a welcome improvement, and let me add my voice to those who were presently surprised at the speed with which this took place. As mentioned above, save for a small mid-block section, the new sidewalk has been reopened.

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2009, 04:38:45 PM »

Unfortunately, if there was granite there before (and I can't recall if there was), it appears to have been "value engineered" out of the final product, as what's there currently is slipformed concrete :-(. This makes me a sad 'DoG, but I'll deal...the overall result is a welcome improvement, and let me add my voice to those who were presently surprised at the speed with which this took place. As mentioned above, save for a small mid-block section, the new sidewalk has been reopened.

I have not paid that close attention to the curbs, but if they did replace granite with concrete....  And if the granite was still in decent shape. Mistake. I always thought that streets and walks should be just as much a work of art as the buildings and not an afterthought.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:40:25 PM by Etheostoma Caeruleum »

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2009, 10:21:15 AM »
So ... anyone been down and seen it in the past week? Is it all finished? Assessments?

Offline jborger

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2009, 11:23:28 AM »
I saw it Sunday during the Warehouse District street fest.  It looks good!  Sad to see they got rid of the granite curbs...  But Johnny's was already using the additional space to add more outdoor seating. 

It creates a better experience while walking down that side of the street.  They've also repainted the lines in the street to add a turning lane.

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2009, 12:41:35 PM »
judging by this picture that was on cleveland.com I thought they were just reusing pre-existing granite curbs.  I guess not.  Maybe they are just pre cast concrete.  There is no way they wouldn't have recycled granite curbs, they do it all the time when possible (see east 12th street).  The WHD in general is a pretty mixed bag when it comes to granite curbs... some areas have it, some don't. This whole block doesn't seem to have them.  Shame, but I'm guessing new granite curbs would have significantly increased the price...

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2009, 03:54:16 PM »
I wonder what's going to happen to the granite curbs? Anyone know where they went?

I hope they don't end up as part of a politician's pool patio.  :-P
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Floods7

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »
Looks like there done... Also nice to see that they doing upkeep.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:47:16 PM by Floods7 »

Offline FerrariEnzo

« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2009, 04:56:54 PM »
That ain't half bad, now if the city of cleveland could use more than one species of tree for every new planting (you know the one).

Offline doctabroccoli

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2009, 07:45:07 AM »
The streetscaping looks great!  I love the hanging baskets :)

Offline metrocity

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2009, 10:08:23 PM »
It does look great....and they moved the parking meters back off the curb like Montreal, helps with snow removal I think

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »
Just another shot - I didn't get a photo, but it looked like there were people at Johnnys Downtown reworking their patio:

Offline Hootenany

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2009, 10:52:40 AM »
It does look great....and they moved the parking meters back off the curb like Montreal, helps with snow removal I think

Just to clarify, they didn't move anything back off the curb.  They simply pushed the curb out.  Probably more of a cost saving measure than anything else.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2009, 12:05:47 PM »

Just to clarify, they didn't move anything back off the curb.  They simply pushed the curb out.  Probably more of a cost saving measure than anything else.

It looks nice.  I like that.  In winter when there are no patios the positioning of the lights will still provide enough lightening on the sidewalks.