PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Warehouse District: Development and News  (Read 7107 times)

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Warehouse District Developments
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 06:54:29 AM »
I got the following press release this morning...

Next week, on July 13th, Cleveland’s Historic Warehouse District will begin construction on a new streetscape.  The streetscape improvements will occur on West Sixth Street between St Clair Avenue and Frankfort Avenue will include widened sidewalks, pedestrian “bump outs” at the crosswalks , street furniture, seating, plantings, and historic markers.  The street will be restriped. It will include parking lanes, a center turn lane and two travel lanes designed to be shared bike lanes.  This configuration was designed to accommodate Warehouse District traffic.

Through the leadership of Councilman Joe Cimperman, the Historic Warehouse District Development Corporation was able to work with District stakeholders to enhance the streetscape in front of their businesses.  Councilman Cimperman secure City funding through the Public Service and Economic Development Departments.  This funding solution has allowed the District to creatively implement ideas developed in the District’s Master Plan now as opposed to waiting for more complex funding strategies such as Federal Transportation Dollars.  Councilman Cimperman stated that, “It is important to put every dollar that we have toward the growth of the city.  Using this money for economic development will strengthen the businesses in the Warehouse District and bolster one of the City’s economic generators.”

This project represents one of the first steps toward implementing the Historic Warehouse District’s Public Realm Plan—a multi-year community planning process focused on improving the quality of life in the District through physical improvements.  The Plan, which was adopted by the Cleveland City Planning Commission in 2007, identifies opportunities in the District for amenities such as park space, public art, and a wayfinding system that provides information about the District and its history.

Rick Parker, architect for Brandstetter Carroll in the Bradley Building and Chairperson of the Historic Warehouse District Public Realm Committee stated, “With a mature, established residential district such as the Warehouse District, enhancing public spaces is essential to sustaining its vitality.  This project will act as a model for the rest of the District as we continue to implement the community’s plan.”

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 10:51:30 AM »
Wow, I was wondering when this was going to FINALLY happen...and it looks like only a baby step at that.  Glad to see that some progress is being made...as usual looks like $$$ was and is the big hold up.  Welcome to America.

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »
I'm a little surprised they opted with going from st. clair to frankfurt first, as opposed to st. clair to lakeside.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »
Yeah .. me, too. I actually just re-read that and was just as surprised.

Maybe they want to help kickstart that stretch up a bit?

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 01:01:36 PM »
Maybe I'm missing it...what is the general timeline?

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »
Johnny's, Crop, Metropolitan, & Starbucks are on that block right?  I could see them using the extra sidewalk to put in even larger patio dining options

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
yes... all the patios will be expanded... not sure on the timeline, but it starts today, I'm guessing it will take a while... this is a decent amount of work.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »
I'm really excited about this, actually. It's a "small" project, but anything that helps to give that neighborhood more of a sense of public space and energy is fantastic and can't be underestimated.

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 01:10:20 PM »
I agree... infastructure improvements can often have enormous impacts on places.

Offline Etheostoma Caeruleum

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Very good idea. It would be good to use a lot of indigenous plants to reduce the need for watering/artificial chemicals and other energy depleters. Maybe some "Cleveland's natural heritage" plants. Will be nice to see this finished---and most of all, I hope follow up is taken into account, as so many projects that involve small planters/trees, seem to lack the follow up, and they end up dying, or being trampled.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:29:47 PM by Etheostoma Caeruleum »

Offline Hootenany

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »
I'm a little surprised they opted with going from st. clair to frankfurt first, as opposed to st. clair to lakeside.

I actually think the stretch of st. clair to frankfurt (west side) is the best stretch in the warehouse district.  It seems like every place has outdoor seating and there are very few gaps.  This stretch stands to gain the most out of this upgrade IMO.

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »
By the way, how long will it take to see some noticeable changes?

Offline j73

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 09:32:40 PM »
From Crain's today

The wide West (Sixth)
City to begin work to spruce up street, accommodate pedestrians and diners; if pilot works, more could follow

By JAY MILLER

4:30 am, July 13, 2009

A widening of the sidewalk on a block of West Sixth Street that eventually might be carried through to the rest of Cleveland's Warehouse District is expected to begin this week, sprucing up a restaurant row that has lost its claim to the title of hot entertainment district to the rising East Fourth Street.

At street level, the strip of century-old office and warehouse buildings between St. Clair and Frankfort avenues is home to six eating places — from Metropolitan Café on the north end to Johnny's Downtown on the south end — all of which have space for outdoor eating and drinking.

City traffic engineering commissioner Robert Mavec said last week he expects construction workers will begin today, July 13, to tear up pavement and sidewalk on the west side of the street to extend the sidewalk space by five feet.

“It will allow for a clear walking space for the pedestrians and allow the businesses along West Sixth Street to expand their patios,” Mr. Mavec said. “We're trying to accomplish one block to see how it works” before extending the streetscape design to the rest of the Warehouse District.

The work “will give a whole different aesthetic to the street,” said Steve Schimoler, chef/owner of Crop Bistro & Bar on West Sixth. “It will give it more of a pedestrian feel.”

In addition to five feet more of sidewalk, the strip will be dressed up with planters and benches. It's all part of a plan developed by the Historic Warehouse District Development Corp. and approved by the city Planning Commission two years ago that established a design plan for the district's streets and sidewalks.

The work on the block from St. Clair to Frankfort will cost the city $60,000. The money comes from capital funds set aside for each City Council district that are spent at the council member's discretion.

Councilman Joe Cimperman, whose 13th Ward includes the district, said he hopes the whole project can be done “in a couple of years.”

No money has been allocated for the rest of the work.

Mr. Cimperman acknowledged that the Warehouse District, which began a transformation over 20 years ago from an ignored commercial district to a place with about 3,000 residents living in rehabbed historic buildings and a few dozen restaurants and bars, needs to stay fresh.

“The idea is to make (the restaurants) more competitive and say, "We're going to continue to reinvest in downtown,'” Mr. Cimperman said.

Tom Starinsky, associate director of the Historic Warehouse District Development Corp., said his group's “public realm plan” also envisions a better link to what one day is expected to be a revitalized Flats area to the west of the district.

East Fourth envy

Several of the restaurateurs welcome the redo, because they are feeling left behind in the rush to the next new thing on East Fourth Street, where the city created a pedestrian walkway by closing off the street between Euclid and Prospect avenues.

The New York Times, in a long, nicely illustrated story that ran last Tuesday, July 7, called East Fourth “the jewel of Cleveland's entertainment district.”

“They've done a great job of consolidating a lot of activity in one little space,” said an envious-sounding Mr. Schimoler of Crop Bistro. “The pedestrian-mall kind of feel promotes walking around.”

Mr. Schimoler said he hopes the work on his block will capture some of that same energy and fill the 12 seats he plans to add to his 22-seat patio.

A few doors north, the Metropolitan Café also plans to expand its patio and give the restaurant interior a new look at the same time.

“It's going to double our patio,” said Bryan Delisio, manager of the Metropolitan, which has seating for 18 outdoors. “It'll do the same thing for the whole street.”

Mr. Delisio said the restaurant, which is owned by the Hyde Park Restaurant Group of Beachwood, also will undertake an interior rehab.

“It's due,” he said. “We've been here eight years; it's time to freshen up the place.”

Offline theguv

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 11:38:29 PM »
Very good idea. It would be good to use a lot of indigenous plants to reduce the need for watering/artificial chemicals and other energy depleters. Maybe some "Cleveland's natural heritage" plants. Will be nice to see this finished---and most of all, I hope follow up is taken into account, as so many projects that involve small planters/trees, seem to lack the follow up, and they end up dying, or being trampled.

Word EC!  I especially agree on the functionality of the installed plants as well as sustainability in terms of maintenance.  We need to think really really green on this plant installation and see it as more than just a pedestrian restaurant row.  I'm especially interested in winter landscaping as the E4 install is rather disappointing in this regard.  Would be fun to get creative with growing food crops as well... 
Is Building Cleveland By Design being consulted for this project?

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2009, 06:05:29 AM »
and most of all, I hope follow up is taken into account, as so many projects that involve small planters/trees, seem to lack the follow up, and they end up dying, or being trampled.

I wouldn't worry too much about upkeep.  They will be maintained by the DCA as this is within the downtown special improvement district.  I think they have done a great job maintaining the east 4th planters, the euclid avenue planters, and the hanging baskets in the warehouse district.  I see no reason they won't continue to do so here.

Offline goteenb

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2009, 08:45:38 AM »
My pug is very excited. She always likes to visit those patios and obtain bribes from the patrons. From her perspective, more patio dwelling suckers means more crumbs and pets for her.

And don't worry about watering those trees. She is qualified and enthusiastic.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2009, 08:45:40 AM »
Also, the WHD is much more of a residential district. If things fall into disrepair, someone will hear about it.

Offline Niko

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2009, 11:38:19 AM »
Just walked by this area at lunch, and it looks like they're moving along quickly for this only being the 2nd day.  The street was cut in the proposed shape and debris removed/being removed.  There were also what looked like concrete forms set up on about 1/4th of it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:41:51 AM by Niko »

Offline Oldmanladyluck

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2009, 12:00:04 PM »
This will be great for the street.  It's good to see the success of East 4th make other parts of the city want an upgrade.

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2009, 12:03:53 PM »
or at least make neighborhood organizations and  downtown planners realize that people don't like trying to live, walk, and hang out on streets dominated by 6+ lanes of automobile traffic.  Needless to say much of downtown's streets aren't very pedestrian friendly.  We're seeing some nice progress in the opposite direction with this, east 12th, and euclid.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:05:14 PM by McCleveland »

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2009, 12:18:31 PM »
or at least make neighborhood organizations and  downtown planners realize that people don't like trying to live, walk, and hang out on streets dominated by 6+ lanes of automobile traffic.  Needless to say much of downtown's streets aren't very pedestrian friendly.  We're seeing some nice progress in the opposite direction with this, east 12th, and euclid.

Agreed.  E.12 and W.6th in the same year--catering right to downtown residents!  I feel like the DCA has had a lot to do with all this momentum.  (on top of it all, Euclid Ave of course!)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:23:16 PM by MuRrAy HiLL »

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »

Word EC!  I especially agree on the functionality of the installed plants as well as sustainability in terms of maintenance.  We need to think really really green on this plant installation and see it as more than just a pedestrian restaurant row.  I'm especially interested in winter landscaping as the E4 install is rather disappointing in this regard.  Would be fun to get creative with growing food crops as well... 
Is Building Cleveland By Design being consulted for this project?

Who is selecting plants for this? They can contact Ohio Prairie Nursery and Ohio Wild Ones for consultation on a selection of plants that would actually offer a pleasant visible presence year 'round. It would be good if some of us wrote and suggested this. It is also just one small example of another way a city can go greener in terms of the environment..and not just spraying poisonous chemicals down keeping turf grass green all year-which is basically an eco-dead zone leaching nitrogen into the lake. I cannot even see lightning bugs like we used to in such places.

Someone at Ohio Wild Ones said to me.. "If the only thing in your yard moving is a lawn mower...then its time to start thinking about a more natural/native landscape"

Offline Flee2theCleve

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2009, 06:17:49 PM »

not to mention the actual closing of another...east 4th

Offline Clueless,Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2009, 04:45:46 AM »
As I left my building this morning at 6:00AM they were working on the streetscape. In fact, it was clear that they had been working overnight...or at least EXTREMELY early. There were huge floodlights illuminating the St Clair to Frankfort block.
All who are excited about this will be pretty amazed at how much is already done.

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2009, 06:33:45 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2009/07/streetscape_projects_in_clevel.html

Streetscape projects in Cleveland's Warehouse District play central role in reviving pockets of city
by Michelle Jarboe/Plain Dealer Reporter
Tuesday July 14, 2009, 5:44 PM

CLEVELAND -- Wider sidewalks and roomier restaurant patios along a single block in Cleveland's Warehouse District could be the first taste of large-scale street improvements in the neighborhood.

On Monday, workers began expanding the sidewalks, widening planting areas and revamping West Sixth Street to make more room for walking and outdoor dining. The renovations are starting out small, on just the west side of the street between Frankfort and St. Clair avenues. But development officials hope to see similar changes, plus new plants, benches and tiny parks, spread throughout the district -- and into other city neighborhoods...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:32:10 AM by McCleveland »

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2009, 07:46:20 AM »
Wow. Next week?! That's great. I like this incremental approach. $60,000, one week, one block ... really highlights how simple these improvements can be done and what an impact they have. Exciting, too, that it sounds like the entire E. 12th renovation is slated to be completed this year, if that's accurate ... I was under the impression that only the northernmost stretch was going to be done.

And I know I give them constant sh*t, but I really have to say that I think the PD coverage has been improving lately ... nice stories about "urbanizing" Cleveland ... and not a single reference like "The sidewalk expansion is an initial step in revitalizing the downtown landscape of Cleveland, one of the poorest and fastest shrinking cities in the nation". :)

I'm confused by a few seeming discrepancies between the PD story, Crain's story and McCleveland's press release, though. Do the planters and the benches have dedicated funding? Is there a timeline for these elements as well (surely these are not going in within the next week)? Will the restriping be done this week as well? And the shared bike scenario seems a little vague to me as well ... Will there be signage to signify that the lanes are to be shared with bikes, or am I misunderstanding?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:54:06 AM by 8ShadesofGray »

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2009, 09:25:42 AM »
Good questions...

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2009, 10:35:19 AM »
Great idea...All for it, but please, let's make it a going green effort and yet another small example of sustainability...get some interesting native plants in this thing...Not Home Depot stock. The natives could be a theme unto itself. ("Cleveland's Flowers") See www.prairienursery.com and look at what we could have that would provide an energy saving year 'round color scheme.

Offline Loretto

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline Niko

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2009, 11:30:16 AM »
Took a stroll by again today at lunch.  They were about 85-90% done with the new concrete.