PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Warehouse District: Development and News  (Read 3802 times)

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Warehouse District Developments
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2009, 12:56:21 PM »
That's pretty sharp looking. Me likes.

Offline Clueless,Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
It seems like the latest effort in the Warehouse streetscape is a big letdown.

I'm talking about the northside of West 6th, north of W. St. Clair. They've removed the decorative brick and replaced it with plain ol' concrete...

New look is a big MINUS.
Before was a PLUS.

Why would they do this?
Maybe something better's coming next Spring (i.e. planters,etc.), and this is just the prelude?

Let's hope

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2009, 06:52:28 PM »
It seems like the latest effort in the Warehouse streetscape is a big letdown.

I'm talking about the northside of West 6th, north of W. St. Clair. They've removed the decorative brick and replaced it with plain ol' concrete...

New look is a big MINUS.
Before was a PLUS.

Why would they do this?
Maybe something better's coming next Spring (i.e. planters,etc.), and this is just the prelude?

Let's hope

what is so different, compared to the picture MayDay posted?  Do you have a visual to show us??

Offline Clueless,Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2009, 07:04:22 PM »
No picture...the sun had already gone down when I saw it...

The pictures from MayDay are of the other side of West 6th.

I'm talking about the part of West 6th with XO Steakhouse (where the patio is) , Barley House, Liquid , Sushi Rock, Blind Pig etc. etc.

Both sides of the street they tore out the brick. In one day it was done! One day!
It doesn't look right...

Offline Hootenany

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »
^Hopefully a prelude to something more, but I haven't heard anything about this other than the constant jackhammering late into the evening last night.

Offline jmpippin

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »
There were many bricks missing creating pretty big holes.  Many people were tripping over these 'potholes'. Hopefully something will become of this.

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2009, 02:46:55 PM »
I know they have a big tailgat party on W6 this weekend for the OSU Toledo game.  Maybe it is in preperation for something for that.

Offline urbanlife

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
any update on the street furniture that was supposed to be part of this project?   

perhaps they can borrow some from e12, where there are literally 100 chairs bolted to the sidewalk.

Offline jborger

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2009, 08:15:25 AM »
I was walking the dog down West 6th Street last night when I noticed the lights on at 1281 West 6th Street - a building that's been vacant for a while.    It's connected to 1277 West 6th Street, which is also vacant. 

Anyway, there was a building permit on the door that seemed to be authorizing the construction of a new wall between 1281 and 1277.  Because that could be (was?) one space.  The load wall in the center is not a load bearing one.

I took the pictures below with my cell phone camera so they're not of McCleveland quality.  :)

Anyone know the history/status of this space?  There's way too many vacant spaces on West 6th Street.  Those two, the retail floor of The Hat Factory building and that small spot between Blue Point Grill and Sin nightclub.  And don't get me started on Johnson Court...

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 05:30:59 AM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline Etheostoma Caeruleum

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2009, 09:40:50 AM »
I don't know... But I agree about the vacancies. When you theme any given area with too much of the bar/fancy bar theme, or any ONE theme, it eventually gets old, and people start to lose interest. There needs to be a mix. Perhaps more functional businesses that serve the needs of people who actually live downtown--anything that would eliminate the need to get in the car and drive somewhere would be a good rule of thumb.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2009, 05:27:26 AM »
Is that a six pack in the first pic?

Offline Clueless,Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2009, 10:34:43 AM »

This is good news if it's the building I'm thinking about.
That has been vacant FOR YEARS.

That's a great WD building...again, if it's the one I think it is.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2009, 11:04:36 AM »

Imagine that... construction workers drinking beer on the job. You know the rules of the house -- always hide the beer before the construction contractors come over.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2009, 11:06:52 AM »

Imagine that... construction workers drinking beer on the job. You know the rules of the house -- always hide the beer before the construction contractors come over.

thank goodness I don't drink beer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »
Maybe one day.... I may open up a custom aquarium design, installation and maintenance shoppe in one of these places. It will be a great show room.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2009, 11:22:02 AM »
Maybe one day.... I may open up a custom aquarium design, installation and maintenance shoppe in one of these places. It will be a great show room.

In addition, it will have a Vegetarian Nutritional Center and Nature conservancy.

I fixed that for you!

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2009, 11:42:18 AM »
Yes, thank you very much. That is actually how my old shop used to be. I had an entire section dedicated to replications of Ohio streams. It was like a small nature center. You can see the photos on the "Aquatic Urban-Ohio" thread.

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »
I was curious about this building and thought I remembered reading something a while back.

I found this article from the PD that mentions the guy (Tony George) that bought the building where the old Spy Bar was and opened Barley House, was also pursuing this building. 

"Barley House will be Bobby George's first foray into the Warehouse District, but it might not be the last. The 27-year-old developer is pursuing the Liberty Textile Building, a rare vacant entertainment district property owned by James Kassouf."

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2008/06/michelle_jarboe_a_businessman.html

EC, you had a shop that sold replications of Ohio Streams???  :wtf: :drunk:

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
One of the reasons this building has been vacant so long, is that it has some pretty significant structural problems that would need fixed (and wouldn't be cheap)... or at least so I heard awhile back.  So if that is being taken care of, it's a great thing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:42:19 PM by McCleveland »

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »
One of the reasons this building has been vacant so long, is that it has some pretty significant structural problems that would need fixed (and wouldn't be cheap)... or at least so I heard awhile back.  So if that is being taken care of, it's a great thing.

Also, I didnt know how much Mr. Kassouf owning it had to do with it just sitting there.

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2009, 01:59:02 PM »
^Probably alot.  I imagine Kassouff wants an arm and a leg for the building and has an inflated value of its worth.  A former employer was a partner in the renovation of the Spy Building which included the infill where the elevator shaft is located.  It was designed to also service the Kassouff building next door but if I recall negotiations (or Kassouff's interest in renovating his own property) went nowhere.  This would have been about 92-93.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2009, 07:09:04 PM »
I was curious about this building and thought I remembered reading something a while back.

I found this article from the PD that mentions the guy (Tony George) that bought the building where the old Spy Bar was and opened Barley House, was also pursuing this building. 

"Barley House will be Bobby George's first foray into the Warehouse District, but it might not be the last. The 27-year-old developer is pursuing the Liberty Textile Building, a rare vacant entertainment district property owned by James Kassouf."

Kassouf and George?? Boy, there's a winning combination.

Kassouf: buy property and let it sit and rot.
George: be the silent partner, let all manner of mayhem occur there, then pretend you had no knowledge of it while the visible partner goes to jail.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2009, 07:47:06 PM »
Kassouf, or his parking company owed me $400.00 once in '89 and never paid it! If that is the same one...  What a piker! That was a heck of a lot of cash for a 21 year old to get screwed out of while taking classes!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:48:07 PM by Etheostoma Caeruleum »

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »

Kassouf and George?? Boy, there's a winning combination.

Kassouf: buy property and let it sit and rot.
George: be the silent partner, let all manner of mayhem occur there, then pretend you had no knowledge of it while the visible partner goes to jail.

FYI, I stated that it was Tony George but then quoted that it was Bobby George that bought the building.  It was actually Bobby who is Tony's son. 

EC I suspect that would be the same Kassouf.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:26:48 PM by willyboy »

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »
Resource Real Estate files to foreclose on Bingham apartments in Cleveland's Warehouse

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/04/resource_real_estate_files_to.html

Offline jborger

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2010, 09:45:19 AM »
So Metropolitan turned into Metro and had its grand opening on Thursday.  (patio to open in a month or so)  I took a picture of their new signage on Friday.  I think it looks good - much better than that vinyl sign they used to have on the side of the building...

Offline Clueless,Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2010, 01:02:50 PM »

That's a good picture.
I like their new look, and more is to come.

I think there has been some major progress on fixing the building down the street. If it has a particular name, I don't know it. But we were talking about this a few months back...

Here are a couple pics from this past week. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would seem that an entire new back wall has been built. Now, will they re-brick over this?

Over on W. 9th St, Sunset Lounge closed a few weeks ago for remodeling.
Here's what's coming (I'm glad):

Offline Clueless,Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2010, 01:49:04 PM »

It's the Liberty Textile Building, c. 1873.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:22:44 PM by Clueless,Ohio »

Offline RyanScav

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2010, 04:24:57 PM »
they should rebrick over it or something, what you are seeing there is structural CMU, which is not an exterior solution in most buildings. I could be wrong though, but from what i CAN see it doesnt seem to be fit for a facia brick.

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »
they should rebrick over it or something, what you are seeing there is structural CMU, which is not an exterior solution in most buildings. I could be wrong though, but from what i CAN see it doesnt seem to be fit for a facia brick.

Although when they brick over cinderblock like that dont they usually have those metal things sticking out that they use to anchor the exterior brick?