PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Shoreway Boulevard Conversion  (Read 7703 times)

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Shoreway Boulevard Conversion
« Reply #1320 on: August 02, 2016, 10:54:14 AM »
Well, remember that the delay was... delayed for the RNC based on overblown projections that traffic in the city would be a quagmire.

Offline DeanSheen

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #1321 on: August 03, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »
Then watch, next spring another movie will close it!

So fed up with this.  Can't wait till it's done.

Offline viscomi

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1322 on: August 17, 2016, 04:45:27 AM »
I didn't realize they were going to widen w45th to the extent that I'm seeing. They are cutting the curb significantly on the Northeast corner of Detroit and 45th (in front of Harp) for the new boulevard "onramp". I really hate this whole project. Besides maybe the bike/running trail and w76th ped tunnel bones we are being thrown.

Offline jjames0408

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1323 on: August 17, 2016, 07:11:33 AM »
I didn't realize they were going to widen w45th to the extent that I'm seeing. They are cutting the curb significantly on the Northeast corner of Detroit and 45th (in front of Harp) for the new boulevard "onramp". I really hate this whole project. Besides maybe the bike/running trail and w76th ped tunnel bones we are being thrown.
I agree. This is in no way, shape or form a Boulevard. It's just irritating. It's nearly impossible to go 35 because it's a freaken highway!

Offline cjrobe

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1324 on: August 17, 2016, 07:37:46 AM »
I agree. This is in no way, shape or form a Boulevard. It's just irritating. It's nearly impossible to go 35 because it's a freaken highway!
I can see it being 40mph, going 45mph is pretty comfortable. But going 40mph is really difficult. Why don't Cleveland area planners know there is a speed limit above 35mph but below highway speeds? In North Olmsted on a small stretch (50mph) and Detroit Rd in Westlake (40mph) but other than those two, I can't really think of any places with speed limits greater than 35mph in Cuyahoga County though they would be suitable in a lot of areas.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1325 on: August 17, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »
I can see it being 40mph, going 45mph is pretty comfortable. But going 40mph is really difficult. Why don't Cleveland area planners know there is a speed limit above 35mph but below highway speeds? In North Olmsted on a small stretch (50mph) and Detroit Rd in Westlake (40mph) but other than those two, I can't really think of any places with speed limits greater than 35mph in Cuyahoga County though they would be suitable in a lot of areas.

I keep hoping the end product with medians will help calm traffic.  Something about those concrete jersey barriers in the center makes people want to fly.   Recently it's been people doing 75 passing cars doing 35.   The Highway Patrol must have been having a field day with reckless op tickets those days they were out there.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:17:59 AM by Cleburger »

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1326 on: August 17, 2016, 10:46:40 AM »

Harvard between Northfield and Richmond was 50mph up until construction of Eaton HQ and recently built developments in Chagrin Highlands.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1327 on: August 22, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »
Give ODOT credit on this! The Clifton entrance to the West Shoreway was closed Aug. 8 for 25 days to replace the bridge over the Lake Avenue eastbound ramp. The ramps were open yesterday! I watched precast concrete arches be delivered to the site the day of the roadway shut down. They were installed a few days later, then covered with dirt and then paved over....

"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1328 on: August 22, 2016, 03:09:23 PM »
^ Welcome news! That was quite a hassle, costing me around 1.5 hrs a day.

Any chance they'll get the nice, tree lined median started this fall?

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1329 on: August 23, 2016, 05:56:10 AM »
I think that is the goal. It's pretty easy to jackhammer out the median with heavy equipment and remove the conduits. I'm assuming new drainage tiles will be installed. This is shaping up to be an awesome project (albeit one with a very slow speed limit that no one follows)!

Offline cjrobe

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1330 on: August 24, 2016, 05:45:03 AM »
Major props to ODOT. I can't believe it actually took 25 days, I was thinking "no way".

Offline Enginerd

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1331 on: August 24, 2016, 06:04:26 AM »
Looks like there is a meeting coming up on September 8th (where I don't know). Probably a good time to ask where we are on the schedule!

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/ClevelandUrbanCoreProjects/LakefrontWest/Documents/ODOT%20City%20Presentation%20for%20St%20Malachi_2015-09-08.pdf

Offline viscomi

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1332 on: August 24, 2016, 08:12:22 AM »
A Big no to demolishing those buildings and cutting the curb on 28th!

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1333 on: August 24, 2016, 08:23:06 AM »
For some reason, I overlooked these improvements. There is only one old building that's worth salvaging (http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=41.49100,-81.70891&z=18&t=S) but the remainder is of no consequence. It corrects that awful W 25/Main/Washington intersection and removes the W 28 to OH 2 ramp that has no merging lane.

Isn't that lot part of a larger mixed-use project I've seen floated around? The removal of those buildings will open up the entire block for the developer.

It's a shame the other left exits and entrances on OH 2 aren't being relocated to the right, but budgets are budgets.

Offline viscomi

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1334 on: August 24, 2016, 08:36:10 AM »
Isn't that lot part of a larger mixed-use project I've seen floated around? The removal of those buildings will open up the entire block for the developer.

2628 Detroit was being demolished for the mixed-used project but the two corner buildings, Linda's and Jamestown building, were to remain. 

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1335 on: August 24, 2016, 08:55:39 AM »
Looks like there is a meeting coming up on September 8th (where I don't know). Probably a good time to ask where we are on the schedule!

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/ClevelandUrbanCoreProjects/LakefrontWest/Documents/ODOT%20City%20Presentation%20for%20St%20Malachi_2015-09-08.pdf

Sept 8, 2015   

Offline Enginerd

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1336 on: August 24, 2016, 09:38:10 AM »

Sept 8, 2015   

Well I feel dumb ha. I saw 'NEW' and just assumed :/

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1337 on: August 24, 2016, 10:07:21 AM »
^also, the items that they were proposing at the sept 2015 meeting have been scrapped due to some vocal (and very logical imho) neighborhood feedback.

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1338 on: August 24, 2016, 10:22:20 AM »
Not all - the eastbound ramp to the Shoreway is still being removed, right?

Offline viscomi

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1339 on: August 24, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »
2015... I overlooked that crucial tidbit. All is well then :)

Offline Enginerd

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1340 on: August 24, 2016, 02:00:27 PM »
Not all - the eastbound ramp to the Shoreway is still being removed, right?

There was an article about it in Late December, where Ohio City, inc wanted the ramp to remain. I haven't heard anything in the news about it since.

I'd be really surprised if it stayed though. It would most likely violate FHWA's terms for the funding...unless they can obtain a design exception. This late in the game though I don't know about that.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1341 on: August 24, 2016, 04:12:40 PM »
^Sounds as if you probably know more about the govt highway world than I do. But I do know that the ramp closing and the 25th/Main Ave changes were initially added on to the original shoreway project due to some sort of additional safety funding.  Also, i believe the speed limit in the area of the ramp is being lowered and that reduces the "need" to remove the ramp.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:13:56 PM by 3231 »

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1342 on: August 25, 2016, 07:36:43 AM »
^Sounds as if you probably know more about the govt highway world than I do. But I do know that the ramp closing and the 25th/Main Ave changes were initially added on to the original shoreway project due to some sort of additional safety funding.  Also, i believe the speed limit in the area of the ramp is being lowered and that reduces the "need" to remove the ramp.

I wouldn't advise a sense of security when entering that ramp even with lowered speeds!   
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:37:03 AM by Cleburger »

Offline Enginerd

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1343 on: August 25, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »

That sounds very plausible. Highway funding is a complicated puzzle sometimes to get the final total required. It is possible that in order to get the safety funds for other items of work, it was required to close the ramp. That is something I should be able to find out...

My understanding though is that beginning at the Main Avenue bridge (prior to the merge) the speed limit will remain at 50mph.

Offline dergon darkhelm

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1344 on: September 12, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »
They started demolishing the Jersey barriers in the median of the shoreway today.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1345 on: September 13, 2016, 01:04:41 PM »
According to the project site, there is another public meeting scheduled for October 6.   

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/ClevelandUrbanCoreProjects/LakefrontWest/Pages/default.aspx

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1346 on: October 05, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »
Reminder of the above...
Lakefront West Shoreway Project Update - October 6 at 6-8pm-2700 Washington, Lakeview Tower @ODOT_Innerbelt @CityofCleveland @ohiocitytweets https://t.co/T7YJrSnozP
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1347 on: October 06, 2016, 12:55:26 PM »
Shoreway construction is on track, but still a long way from completion http://s.cleveland.com/Qyr2U6c 

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1348 on: October 06, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »
Shoreway construction is on track, but still a long way from completion http://s.cleveland.com/Qyr2U6c 

It's interesting the article only mentions center median construction, multi purpose path and landscaping as remaining work. Seems like that shouldn't take very long.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1349 on: October 06, 2016, 02:33:13 PM »
Except for all the drainage they're installing. Then they have to resurface the entire roadway from the Main Avenue bridge to Lake Road.