PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Cleveland Clinic Developments (University Circle)  (Read 3676 times)

Offline zaceman

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: Cleveland: Cleveland Clinic Developments (University Circle)
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2005, 07:59:41 PM »
i have no complaints at all about it, i think its a nice building... for a hospital heh

Offline FerrariEnzo

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2005, 08:05:26 PM »
This is no hospital!!  Its the dark empire....cosgrove as the emperor and this building as the death star....

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2005, 08:44:20 PM »
Sorry folks, but the architect who designed that slice of cheese must have been in one hell of a hurry. There's ZERO imagination in it.

I realize that architects design from the inside out, so perhaps the interior is a lot more interesting...before the architect ran out of ideas by the time he/she got around to designing the exterior.

Like I've said before, the Heart Center has no "heart"

KJP
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2005, 10:14:16 PM »
I think you're supposed to marvel at its cold, abstract austerity.  Or something.  Crap.

Offline Qwios

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2005, 11:31:41 PM »
That's the worst rendering I've seen thus far...  I was walking around the clinic campus today, well now yesterday but I had a hard time getting out onto the street and back in.  Too many fricking emergency exits with alarms.  The construction barriers didn't help either.  They're what forced me to take the skyway and then try and find my way down to earth from there.  Getting back to the new building..  I don't think the clinic cares what the building looks like because a large portion of the people going there will take the tunnel from the parking garage on the other side of the intersection to get there.

Offline zaceman

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2005, 07:17:12 AM »
i dont know, not many of the other hospital buildings look any better, i wonder if theres a reason for this other than lack of vision

Offline Qwios

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2005, 09:57:38 AM »
I think I'm a lone dissenter as far as I like some of the other new buildings... especially in comparison with the drawing presented above.

Offline FerrariEnzo

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2005, 01:53:17 PM »
Its all the same pink marble crap that is a rip off of Caesar pelli...seeing as Bostwick who did some work on them was under pelli at some point its not hard to see why, but not exscuseable.

Offline oallostavros

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2005, 02:48:52 PM »
I don't mind the pink -I think its more important for their campus to be unified in a consistent style. 

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2005, 10:05:33 PM »
Really the thing that is most important to a hospital architecturally is to present a clean and ultra modern appearance befitting their function as a place of high-tech healing.  They don't care so much about things like placemaking that we consider to be foremost.  I am not saying these two things are mutually exclusive, just that hospitals don't really consider the second to be important.

Offline oallostavros

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2005, 11:30:01 PM »
Here's an image of the Clinic's stem Cell Center as it appears in one of their publications.  Looks different in real life.

Offline buildingcincinnati

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2005, 08:43:34 PM »

Clinic gets a big gift from the heart
Matrix co-founder donates $70 million for cardiac center

Friday, September 23, 2005
Sarah Treffinger
Plain Dealer Reporter

The Cleveland Clinic received a $70 million gift Thursday from the co-founder of Matrix Essentials, a Solon-based hair and beauty products company, and her family.

The gift, from Sydell Miller and her daughters, Lauren Spilman and Stacie Halpern, supports construction of a medical complex that will serve as the Clinic's new main entrance and house its long-awaited heart center.

more at:  http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1127468315142980.xml&coll=2
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:58:42 PM by McCleveland »

Offline Steele05

• Huntington Tower 330'

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2006, 07:31:58 AM »
could someone post the whole article from crain's??

http://crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060220/SUB/602200307&SearchID=73237233028287

It mentions something about moving the Clinic's cardiology unit to the new Quarries' project in Lorain county ;)

Its interesting how the article considers Fairview Hospital a suburban site. 

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2006, 07:40:08 AM »
Clinic to embark on $50M office, garage expansion 

By SHANNON MORTLAND

6:00 am, April 3, 2006

The Cleveland Clinic next week will begin clearing ground for the $50 million expansion of its office space and parking garage at Euclid Avenue and East 93rd Street.

The new structure will add 80,000 square feet of office space for Clinic employees and 1,140 parking spaces, said Bill Peacock, executive director of facilities and construction at the Clinic. The existing, $52 million parking garage opened in 2004 and has 120,000 square feet of office space and 1,328 parking spaces.

“As we build the heart center and the Miller Pavilion and the Glickman Tower, we recognize the need to provide additional patient parking,” Mr. Peacock said.

The 970,000-square-foot Arnold and Sydell Miller Family Pavilion, which will house the Clinic’s new $475 million heart center and other Clinic institutes, and the $95 million Glickman Pavilion, which will be home to the Clinic’s Glickman

Urological Institute, are scheduled to open in 2008. Mr. Peacock said the new parking structure will open just ahead of those buildings in late 2007.

The Clinic will begin clearing out a surface parking lot behind the existing parking garage on April 10 and expects to break ground on the seven-level parking garage expansion in mid-April. Bids for the project are expected to go out within two weeks.

Though the Clinic has not yet decided what offices would occupy the new space once the building is completed, Mr. Peacock said the Clinic will not need to lease out any of the office space. He said plenty of need for the offices exists within the hospital system.

Offline Vulpster03

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2006, 09:55:44 AM »
While the Clinic is undoubtedly one of Cleveland's greatest assets and they certainly aren't to be criticized for their success and economic impact on the region, does anyone feel their campus planning fails to to create a sense of place and good fit within the neighborhood? I think the campus has been getting better, but a lot of times when I go there I feel like the campus isn't too impressive from a visitors standpoint. For one of the greatest institutions in the country/world to be located in Cleveland I'd really hope to be impressed by the visual impact of the institution, but maybe this isn't so important for institutions with medical purposes and the prestige of the Cleveland Clinic intself. What do you think?

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2006, 10:17:00 AM »
While the Clinic is undoubtedly one of Cleveland's greatest assets and they certainly aren't to be criticized for their success and economic impact on the region, does anyone feel their campus planning fails to to create a sense of place and good fit within the neighborhood? I think the campus has been getting better, but a lot of times when I go there I feel like the campus isn't too impressive from a visitors standpoint. For one of the greatest institutions in the country/world to be located in Cleveland I'd really hope to be impressed by the visual impact of the institution, but maybe this isn't so important for institutions with medical purposes and the prestige of the Cleveland Clinic intself. What do you think?

do you have an example of a hospital campus that has "wow" factor?

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2006, 11:04:55 AM »

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2006, 11:19:01 AM »
damn you pelli!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2006, 11:26:58 AM »
^one building does not make a campus. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 11:27:12 AM by wimwar »

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2006, 11:30:02 AM »
still that one building makes a statement, which is more than UHHS or clinic could say.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2006, 12:21:33 PM »
still that one building makes a statement, which is more than UHHS or clinic could say.

I am not defending the Clinic or UH's configuration, but one tall glass building from Houston says nothing about the urban landscape that the hospital campus creates.  Does anyone know any good examples of hospital campuses?  I have yet to see a city that has an aesthetic medical district. 

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2006, 12:33:29 PM »
yeah, i echo your statement

Offline Vulpster03

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2006, 02:05:44 PM »
do you have an example of a hospital campus that has "wow" factor?

No, I don't really. I guess it would be difficult for any urban planner or architectural firm to make a statement and not sacrifice the medical integrity of a medical institution. I guess I just wish the Clinic could have expanded on other parts of blocks and not take up so much streetscape on Euclid Avenue for instance. It could have preserved or encouraged creation of mixed-use development between some of the churches along Euclid as approrpriate infill to serve its employees and visitors, instead of completely surrounding some of these churches or some other properties holding out.

Online X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2006, 02:32:58 PM »
Here is a rendering of the new Office/Garage project, as well as a site plan.  If you look at the site plan, you will notice a proposed foot print for a roughly matching building across a new boulevard from the building
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:33:34 PM by X »

Online StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2006, 09:16:09 PM »

I am not defending the Clinic or UH's configuration, but one tall glass building from Houston says nothing about the urban landscape that the hospital campus creates.  Does anyone know any good examples of hospital campuses?  I have yet to see a city that has an aesthetic medical district. 

Boston's main medical district is every bit as large and functional as the Clinic's campus but much better looking and, not coincidentally, well served by public transit.

For some images see:

http://www.masco.org/directMap.htm

http://medapps.med.harvard.edu/kassislab/Fotos_original/locati2.jpg

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2006, 06:41:32 PM »
Meanwhile, over at the Clinic Heart Center (on Aug. 31st):

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2006, 09:06:27 AM »
Clinic workers to park 6 miles away, shuttle in
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Sarah Treffinger
(Cleveland) Plain Dealer Reporter

Memo to Cleveland Clinic employees: Your parking spaces have been reassigned.

Perfect if you've got tickets to a Browns game. Not so great for work.

Roughly 1,500 Clinic employees learned this week that soon they will have to park six miles from the hospital and hitch rides on shuttle buses to get to their jobs ...

... More at http://www.cleveland.com/medical/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1159432888254700.xml&coll=2
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:57:23 AM by 8ShadesofGray »

Offline Vulpster03

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2006, 09:17:36 AM »
This new parking policy seems very odd to me.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2006, 09:22:48 AM »
this makes no fuckin' sense.

the message, from RTA and the Clinic should be.  We're reducing parking, ride RTA to work!

This way ridership goes up as the silverline comes online!

This is just ass backwards!