PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: The Beacon/515 Euclid Avenue  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: 515 Euclid Avenue??
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2005, 08:07:31 PM »
First of all, on the previous question...I don't think that the Point building (home of Winking Lizard and Kent State UDC) is structurally capable of supporting additional floors.  However, I visited the building last week and discussed the subject---strictly on pipe-dream level---with a landscape architect who works in the center (thanks again Brian!).  We surmised that because of the narrowness of the building's footprint and the great width of the sidewalks on Huron and Prospect, that the possibility existed for structural beams to be added to the exterior of the building in order to support upper floors.  However, given the apropos use of the building at present and the attractiveness it already holds, it's doubtful that anyone would want to mess with it.  Besides, there are enough vacancies nearby that need to be occupied first!

next, photos of 515...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 08:11:08 PM by Mister Good Day »

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2005, 08:09:33 PM »
from March 9th...
East 6th Street side:

Here's how the building relates to its older neighbor to the north:

Look at the size of those windows fronting Euclid Ave and E. 6th Street!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 11:21:17 AM by Mister Good Day »

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2005, 09:23:50 PM »
Its starting to shape up.  Does anyone know if they have any retail tenants in mind yet?

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
Regarding 515 Euclid Avenue
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2005, 11:14:54 PM »
Hello, I am brand new here as a member, but I have been reading threads here for several months now. I live in Cleveland and try to focus specifically on information regarding to Northeast Ohio. So anyways, I have a lot of stuff I want to talk about, but for tonight, I will stick to one of the things I don't think anyone has noticed yet. It is in regards to 515 Euclid, the new parking garage complex. If you observe the building from Euclid, you will notice roughly 5 stories for the garage, but, when you observe it from East 6th, behind the currently existing offices, there must 7 or 8 levels of parking. It is definately not a flat level, but the same slanted style as the other levels below it. There is also a great view of the project from the alleyway behind Teahouse Noodles on E. 6th. Hopefully someone can confirm what I saw, but I walk down Euclid and E. 6th at least 3 times a week, so I don't think I am imagining this. Right now, they are up to the glass windows on the main level. I will try to get a picture of the alternative view from E. 6th soon.

-John

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
Re: Regarding 515 Euclid Avenue
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2005, 11:20:55 PM »
I also have a lot of pictures I took in Cleveland over the last month and I would really like to get them uploaded onto this site, but I don't currently have any storage space of a domain where I could store them. If anyone wants to help me, I could send you the photo's and you could post them up for me.. but I have roughly 100 pictures of downtown, mainly of CSU/Quadrangle, Theatre District, and around Superior/E. 6th where the banks are. I have been trying to get some unique views and can't say all of my snapshots are innovative, considering a lot of my pictures resemble those of other local Clevelander's. But I do have a few shots with an excellent view of Cleveland from North of Lakeside between the RTA tracks and the factories up above the hill. I also have a handful of pictures from the top floor of Rhodes Tower overlooking CSU/Quadrangle to the South of Rhodes Tower and to the East, overlooking all the way up to 55th and beyond.. it also has a nice view of the current Rec Center site (which is currently a big ditch). IF anyone wants to help, I will gladly e-mail you the pictures to upload for everyone. Thanks!

Offline oallostavros

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2005, 11:50:16 PM »
Great, I'd like to see the progress on 515.  You can send the pics to me and I'll post them.  PM me.

Have you tried photobucket.com for your images?

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2005, 11:55:29 PM »
Hi, I will try photobucket, I tried some other free hosting and they said my pics were too big! But I haven't yet any of 515 Euclid, but will first try this place you suggested for uploading my pictures. Thanks for the help!!!

-John

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2005, 12:04:34 AM »
I will post more this week, I am outta time for right now, but here is my first 2 pics:

View from top floor of Rhodes Tower facing east, overlooking CSU and Quadrangle. You can see Viking Hall (white building), Wolstein Center (far right), surface lots (all over), the YMCA/that old renovated building (left middle) and the rest of the quadrangle area.

View from around East 30th, north of Lakeside Ave. -- roughly next to the RTA tracks. I am still trying to find the ideal location, but I used to know an awesome view where you see nothing but one tall building next to one another and there is no hole between and no building is blocked from view. It is probably somewhere close to Quay 55. This is a partial idea of what the skyline looks like from the Northeast corner.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 12:07:15 AM by bizbiz »

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2005, 12:15:37 AM »
OK, 2 more pictures from me (I apologize that none of this is related to my 515 Euclid topic):

East 9th at Huron - a nice way to get hit by a car:

My 2nd favorite spot in downtown, East 9th and St. Claire (my favorite being Superior and E. 6th) - the two busiest areas in downtown Cleveland.. as for this pic, notice One Cleveland Center, it was done by the same mind of the Citigroup building in NYC below.. notice both cities intersection's at this building, I find many similarities:

This is Citigroup in NYC, now realize, this pic in NYC is on a nice summer day. The Cleveland shot is on a chilly April day. Still, the similarities exist:

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2005, 12:30:04 AM »
Back to 515 Euclid in Cleveland. Does anyone else notice the 3-4 parking garages located on or adjacent to East 6th and Vincent. There is the McDonald Investment garage, the NCB garage, the Fifth 3rd garage, and even the nearby Huntington and Star building garages. Now that 515 Euclid is nearing completion and opening up 400-800 spots (most of which will be from E. 4th and HOB patrons), there seems more to it than that. What if this new garage is able to work with or against the other garages and allow them to tear down and re-build new structures in place of the old dilapadated garage complexes. If you think about it, Vincent, between E. 6th and E. 9th is one of the densest areas in downtown.. you have Euclid on the south and Superior to the north. All around the entire 2 block radius is nothing but recently built high rise bank offices with stupid little garages next to them. I definately see this area as a high value, high demand block.. and that will only increase as nearby E. 4th becomes bigger and Superior/Euclid get their full re-paving. If the owners of these old garages want to live for the future, they outta re-build them with office capabilities above, in a fashion similar to that of 515 Euclid. Perhaps I am dreaming, but in reality, Vincent, leading down its NYC alleyway style street into E. 6th's one-way is a very cool area.. free parking on the street, E. 6th full of little restaurant's and to-go food places. From the soon-to-be 515 Euclid ground level retail at top of the little hill to the library and Superior renovations at the other end.. this area is so awesome and any Clevelander should agree with me that E. 6th is a very cool little street, especially considering there are no vacant storefronts. The only ugly thing about E. 6th is the Fifth 3rd garage that takes up almost an entire block with nothing but a fenced off wall full of cars. Otherwise a veryyyyy cool little street.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 12:34:48 AM by bizbiz »

Offline oallostavros

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2005, 01:50:40 AM »
You mean this shot? :-D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline oallostavros

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2005, 01:54:16 AM »
How about these...

Offline oallostavros

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2005, 01:57:09 AM »
Photobucket just automatically resizes pictures that are too large.

Hi, I will try photobucket, I tried some other free hosting and they said my pics were too big! But I haven't yet any of 515 Euclid, but will first try this place you suggested for uploading my pictures. Thanks for the help!!!

-John

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2005, 08:01:07 AM »
oallostavros - as much as I agree that the shot from Quay 55 is awesome, I have to ask you to 1. remove the image from urbanohio.com and 2. please don't post any photos by Tucker here *unless* you have explicit permission from them.  Check your PMs, and thank you  :-)

bizbiz, welcome to the forum and thank you for posting those pics! I always love the view from the East 30th/Lakeside area - do you remember if that was on South Marginal Road?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 08:19:47 AM by MayDay »

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2005, 12:44:37 PM »
Yes, it's on South Marginal Road at that parking lot for RTA employees or something. I have always loved the Erieview Tower and One Cleveland Center, but they are so blindspotted from any other view.. Coming from I-77 in Independence, OCC is not visible at all and Erieview looks like crap from that view - a skinny nothingness.. from the west, Key/BP block the view.. so I have been looking for that perfect view to get those 2 into the shot.. I also like the Holiday Inn on Lakeside and that bigger office next to it with the pyramid shape (name not registering in my head at the moment).. but I know if you are coming down I-90 from Bratenahl or East Cleveland, there becomes this freaking awesome view of the city's skyline - you need to be at right about the perfect spot, because any further to the west or east, and buildings begin blocking each other out. But if you catch the right view, you see the full beauty in both. And speaking of, they have an underground connection that goes under St. Claire.. just thought I'd point that out. :)

-John

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2005, 02:37:18 PM »
bizbiz...welcome!

Have you checked out the original 515 thread?

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=489.90

There's lotsa chatter on there about present and future. 

We'd all love to see more pictures!

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2005, 03:17:14 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Mister Good Day.. and thanks for the link to the original 515 Euclid thread! I drove past 515 Euclid today to re-count the number of levels from behind and I counted 8, if not 9.. it looks topped out now, but you never know. So the entire 5 level parking garage just doesn't make sense at this point - there is more than 5 levels. I was having a hard time believing 800 spots could fit within 5 levels. That is over 150 parking spaces per level - I just don't see that possible - however, the garage goes way back behind and down E. 6th between the Arcade and the office buildings lining E. 6th. This is one of those sites I have been too damn lazy to get pictures and explore closer up. I will definately do that on the next mild day I am downtown! As for seeing more pictures from me - I will gladly post them, but I will start a new thread in the pictures/photography section of this message forum.

-John

Offline CtownD

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2005, 06:47:37 AM »
Found an interesting blurb that was dated September 8, 2004 that places the height of the building at 10 floors.  It can be found on page 6 of the PDF, on the left hand side under zoning appeals that have been approved.  Here is the link:

http://www.dln.com/cr/index2004/september082004.pdf

This project has always intrigued me, as it seems as if it holds more potential than many other projects that are in the works for downtown as of right now.  It'll bring well-concealed (hopefully) parking, as well as brand new retail; aside from the fact that it could eventually hold a sizeable residential tower.  Seeing the construction progressing really makes me think of all of the retailers that don't have a Cleveland presence that could go in there.  Personally, I think if cities such as Cincinnati, Denver and Minneapolis could support a Tiffany & Co., we certainly could as well (it'd look pretty nice on the corner of E. 6th and Euclid I must say).  In addition to that, Cleveland still lacks stores like Cole Haan, Room and Board (Minneapolis-based furniture store that seems to do well in downtown areas), Puma and Benneton to name a few.  I suppose if I had to see them open anywhere, I'd like to see them Downtown over Beachwood.  Wishful thinking I suppose...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 06:50:38 AM by CtownD »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2005, 12:06:09 PM »
For such stores to come to Cleveland, I think that there would have to be some sort of large scale development that will bring other similar stores in at the same time.  I don't see any major retailer taking a chance on Euclid until they have some sort of assurance that others will come as well.  That is why this Crocker Park developer guy is a good thing.  It will take a visionary like him and some sort of divine intervention to get Forest City on board in order to get a large scale project downtown.   

Offline CtownD

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2005, 02:31:48 PM »
I was thinking of something a la Fountain Place in Cincinnati (the complex with Macy's, Palomino, Tiffany and Brooks Brothers).  Maron seemed to indicate when they broke news about Lola and Gameworks coming downtown that there would be more announcements to follow in later months.  I realize he doesn't have a stake in the 515 project, but he certainly could affect the possibility of building a critical mass of retail along the lower Euclid corridor.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2005, 04:09:54 PM »
I was on East 4th today, and I noticed that they had put up signs saying what they think will be coming to al the different retail spots.  They didn't give names, but were somewhat specific about function- restaurant, cafe, specialty apparel.  I wonder if that means they are in discussion with particular businesses or if it is just hopeful speculation on their part.

Also, someone was mentioning Vincent Ave earlier on this thread.  That actually used to be Cleveland's entertainment district from about Prohibition till the 60's or 70's.  That is when everything was demolished for the office parking garages.  It was known as "Short Vincent". 

Seeing as how it is right at the center of downtown's employment, it would make sense that it could be a good location for streetfront retail to serve downtown's daytime population if they were to rebuild some of those parking garages.  I don't see it happening anytime soon, however.

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2005, 08:28:36 PM »
yeah, those signs have been up for a while now.  I'm assuming that they're just ideas...an attempt to envision and entice people to the block, whether or not there are any actual investors behind those signs.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2005, 12:54:21 PM »
Update from June 15th - cladding is going up. Looks like a mix of clear and reflective glass and light gray granite:

Offline nsc

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2005, 01:12:50 PM »
Amazing what their doing with garages these days. 

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2005, 02:02:53 PM »
Damn Mayday!  You beat me to it!  Mine aren't NEARLY as nice as yours, but I'll post 'em anyways...from June 13th:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 05:12:28 PM by Mister Good Day »

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2005, 02:03:33 PM »
when can we start parking and shopping???

Offline FerrariEnzo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2005, 02:50:47 PM »
WEll damn you!  These are from the 14th and on a drive by:

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2005, 03:00:12 PM »
I was snapping pics of the new garage on the 13th as well! Wow, there is some sort of magnetism towards 515 Euclid!!

Offline zaceman

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2005, 08:36:53 AM »
i think itll look great for the base of a 25+ story tower......

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2005, 08:49:22 AM »
man, i haven't paid attention downtown in a while